closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The new Doctor Who

The new Doctor Who

I confess, I'm really not a fan, but I usually sit through the first one or two episodes of a "new" Doctor just for the sake of it.

My expectations weren't high, but they were comfortably missed by a country mile.

Awful.

Just really, really poor.

Poor story, poor scripts, poor acting, poor production values, and the Doctor now reminds of an annoying bird I used to know at Uni, complete with Macclesfield accent.

I'm struggling to find something positive to say about it...

Nope. Can't.
    So clever my foot fell off.

She’s from Huddersfield.

Awful. A very poor rip off of Predator.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Not impressed, they upped the budget and shot it on an Alexa with Cooke lenses but apart from a couple of establishing shots the so called 'filmic look' was absent. They should have spent more on a good scriptwriter instead.
    Nothing wrong with having a female doctor but the personality should maybe reflect that, seems like the character of the doctor is static and could be played by anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    I confess, I'm really not a fan, but I usually sit through the first one or two episodes of a "new" Doctor just for the sake of it.

My expectations weren't high, but they were comfortably missed by a country mile.

Awful.

Just really, really poor.

Poor story, poor scripts, poor acting, poor production values, and the Doctor now reminds of an annoying bird I used to know at Uni, complete with Macclesfield accent.

I'm struggling to find something positive to say about it...

Nope. Can't.
    I congratulate you for getting that far! I didn't bother watching it, I was a sporadic watch of Capaldi series (some OK some not). I really liked Matt Smith & David Tennant but then the stories started to get way up their own ar*e - I'm not sure how the younger audiences were supposed to understand what the hell was going on by hay ho.
    I read a few reviews of the new series, which said Jodie Whittaker was really annoying like a small child - maybe things will settle down who knows??
    Either way, apparently the BBC have spent Sh*t loads on production (makes you wonder where the money went if you think the production was poor??) and of course plenty of hype, so they need it to be a success??

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    She’s from Huddersfield.
    Hoodezfield, in West Yorkshire.

I refuse to watch it but I am quite glad to read it’s dross, should never have been a female.

Master
    I particularly liked it. Good to see the BBC hasnt been pushed into political correctness gender ethnicity disability etc.............................
    Last edited by higham5; 7th October 2018 at 21:23.

It was all right, following in the meta of the last few seasons (I didn't like Capaldi at all). Jodie was quite good but a touch nervous in the role. She'll improve.

I thought it was good - some actual consequences to the Doctor's actions and a decent cliffhanger. Good start.

The new Doctor is shaping up nicely.

Sat through most of it but in the end had to switch over.
    Just too stupid really.

It was poor and as someone said blatantly derivative of the Predator premise, not a great start imo.

Master
    very disappointing

the plot, the actors, etc., all well down on previous productions ....... almost at a level produced for children's TV

a pity as I'm sure many were looking forward to the new episodes

just hope it improves

Funny how so many people can be wrong when I'm right...

Master
    If you like the new Doctor, watch the new series with enthusiasm. If you don't like the new Doctor, switch channel and stop moaning. She will be replaced before much longer anyway.

Owl1
    It was sh.t when Tom Baker was in it ...not watched it since.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    If you like the new Doctor, watch the new series with enthusiasm. If you don't like the new Doctor, switch channel and stop moaning. She will be replaced before much longer anyway.
    Ah, I see your degree was in the bloody obvious.

I thought she was great, but the story was laughable — a triumph of state broadcaster political correctness run riot! Every box ticked!

Master
    As an original series Dr Who fan as far back as Pat Troughton I thought it was complete Carp! They even forgot the theme tune at the start!
    The stories should go back to a three or four episode ark.
    Yes, there are female Time Lords. But Dr Who is a male.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve27752 View Post
    There aren't any Time Lords. It's fictional and therefore open to the flexible whims of those producing the drama.

I watched 10 minutes and remembered why I stopped watching when I was about 14. It went downhill for me when Tom Baker left. God, I sound old!
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

As an original series Dr Who fan as far back as Pat Troughton I thought it was complete Carp! They even forgot the theme tune at the start!
    Been in a male body (up until now), maybe they're sexless (or both etc.).

It was ok, but aimed at kids or at least people a lot younger than me!

It’s the same PC stuff the BBC trots out all the time now. Every race and age depicted, a blended family, an apologetic smattering of white faces, a female lead with a broad regional accent, a knowing reference to knife crime and the Doctor ‘hasn’t worn female clothes for a while’ so a nod to the gender uncertain among us. Don’t get me wrong, all positive stuff however cramming all of that into every program so clumsily makes it a bit laughable imho. In fact whilst typing this I can add empowered Asian female police officer, Dyspraxia and.......it’s never ending. And I thought it was just an inane sci-if program, as opposed to a right-on social lesson!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Been in a male body (up until now), maybe they're sexless (or both etc.).
    No they are not, as with us there are only two genders, Male and Female.

No they are not, as with us there are only two genders, Male and Female.
    In our world....

I’m not so sure that it’s all positive stuff. After watching the episode and the list of upcoming guest stars my, incredibly equality focused daughter, asked me “Do we live in a racist country against white people?”

What followed was quite a long discussion covering many forms of life. We talked about all the tv shows she had watched on the BBC when she was younger and she clearly remembers that whites were a minority, even when CBeebies were filming in schools. Every advert that features on tv now seems to have a mixed race family. She also talked about her last year at junior school where the staff had chosen prefects to perform various duties. The school was overwhelmingly white British but only a minority of white British children were chosen, and only after every single minority child had been given that particular honour.

We had noticed all of these things but had been very careful not to say anything in front of her for fear that she may say something and end up in trouble, but if eleven year olds are now noticing these things and questioning them the PC brigade may one day end up facing a backlash.

Back on topic, we both thought the new Doctor was poor. Not because she’s a woman but because she seemed to be trying too much to be like Matt Smith and not managing to pull it off. Time will tell if she improves.

Master
    The pc box ticking was beyond laughable, it was actually insulting or perhaps deliberately over the top to make some kind of subversive point about how insane and blinkered the powers that be at the BBC really are. I didn't think her performance was as awful as I expected, the show may improve if they can resist over playing the equality card but I bet they don't. Regarding which recent doctor she was emulating, I saw a lot of the David Tennant version in there. All chirpy gags and jolliness which makes sense when you think they filmed Broadchurch together so perhaps his interpretation influenced her. Matt Smith I saw as an animated floppy hairstyle and little else (though Karen Gillan was very watchable, Jenna Coleman too) and the ancient Scottish Bloke, well I never actually watched one with him in.
    Last edited by Padders; 8th October 2018 at 11:22.

Master
    As it’s about time lords I think William Hartnell should be brought back.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    Keep up. He has been, 12 times to date.

It really was rubbish, PC by numbers to the extreme, Black, Brown, white, mixed, the next baddie is going to be a Black one legged Hungarian lesbian transsexual.

Does the Dr. wear a watch? I would have thought it essential kit for a Time Lord. Does the new one wear a ladies model or has she stuck with the oversize trend popular these days?

I’m a bit out of touch, I still think Tom Baker is the over the top one who ruined the show after Jon Pertwee. Bring back the Brigadier.

Its been going down hill since Patrick Troughton in my opinion.

He at least stayed true to the original concept.

I didn't mind it as a bit of a distraction whilst answering emails and chatting to the family.

An impressive spectacle and edge of the seat viewing as it was pre Tome Baker (and the more recent CGI / Hollyoaks style revamp) it was not.

Perhaps Michael Grade was right after all.

Master

What PC / SJW pap

I can imaging the BBC production meeting.

Strong female lead = check
    Strong female ethnic support = check (best get an asian and a black)

What about the men, diversity etc. etc.
    OK

Black guy = check (oh add in a disadvantage)
    White guy = check (we'll have two, but make the soy boy PU55IES)

Oh nearly forgot, we need an actual story.......er..........er...........Predator? no one in our demographic will know, it an old movie.

The only none PC part was sending the alien back home, then again it is Sci-Fi

'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Gynocentric Rubbish

Blimey the snowflakes are out in force on this one. Who knew a bit of fluff like Doctor Who could trigger so many people?

Quote Originally Posted by Danstone View Post
    I’m not so sure that it’s all positive stuff. After watching the episode and the list of upcoming guest stars my, incredibly equality focused daughter, asked me “Do we live in a racist country against white people?”

What followed was quite a long discussion covering many forms of life. We talked about all the tv shows she had watched on the BBC when she was younger and she clearly remembers that whites were a minority, even when CBeebies were filming in schools. Every advert that features on tv now seems to have a mixed race family. She also talked about her last year at junior school where the staff had chosen prefects to perform various duties. The school was overwhelmingly white British but only a minority of white British children were chosen, and only after every single minority child had been given that particular honour.

We had noticed all of these things but had been very careful not to say anything in front of her for fear that she may say something and end up in trouble, but if eleven year olds are now noticing these things and questioning them the PC brigade may one day end up facing a backlash.

Back on topic, we both thought the new Doctor was poor. Not because she’s a woman but because she seemed to be trying too much to be like Matt Smith and not managing to pull it off. Time will tell if she improves.
    Out of the mouths of babes.

I enjoyed it but didn't think it was stunning. But it is trying to setup a new character and all the other companions. I did not like Matt Smith's 1st episode either but he definitely got better.

Craftsman
    It's the first Dr Who I have watched since Tom Baker and I loved it

Correct.

Towards the end of Tenants era, we saw the master as a young boy and so presumably was the Doctor so we can assume born male.
    Last edited by TheFixer; 8th October 2018 at 19:17.

Master
    Doesn't he make dresses for the Queen?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Blimey the snowflakes are out in force on this one. Who knew a bit of fluff like Doctor Who could trigger so many people?
    Ha, ha, I don’t think you know what snowflake means in today’s lingo

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Awful. A very poor rip off of Predator.
    Predator ? As in the first one from 1987?

Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    Ha, ha, I don’t think you know what snowflake means in today’s lingo
    Is it like gammon? That's a new one I see used a lot.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Very funny

I remember the original, kept me enthralled and a bit scared, Tom Baker was ok, didn’t like Peter Davidson so didn’t really watch it again for years.
    Liked David Tennant and Matt Smith a lot, Peter Capaldi completely turned me off and I’m not going to watch the new one either as I just don’t believe the Doctor should be a woman.
    Another thing I don’t like is the appearance of celebrities, couldn’t stand Catherine Tate, liked her as a comedienne but not in the Doctor Who series.

My 8 year old insisted we watch it for a 2nd time last night, seems he really liked it, so we'll be tuning in again for this weeks episode.

Master
    Interestingly, Hartnell's Doctor was not a Time Lord. The Time Lord idea was invented late on in the Second Doctor's time (the last Patrick Troughton story, I believe). And I don't think Gallifrey was mentioned until the Jon Pertwee era.

But back on topic - yes, it was unmitigated politically correct garbage. Cringing.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Gynocentric Rubbish
    Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Does the Dr. wear a watch? I would have thought it essential kit for a Time Lord. Does the new one wear a ladies model or has she stuck with the oversize trend popular these days?

I’m a bit out of touch, I still think Tom Baker is the over the top one who ruined the show after Jon Pertwee. Bring back the Brigadier.
    Matt Smith wore one. It was broken, a crap make and just there as a prop. I posted about it all somewhere or another back when it was relevant. For some reason half the internet thought it was something else even when clear pictures of it existed.

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Time is their seventh sense, why should they need a watch?