closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New Grand Seiko Ltd Edition(1000) to mark the 20th Anniv of the caliber 9s movement

New Grand Seiko Ltd Edition(1000) to mark the 20th Anniv of the caliber 9s movement

Cant seem to find any pricing details on this anywhere - but I find its looks mesmerising. Been a while since I opened a link to gaze at a picture so much in quite a while. We all know they produce lovely finishing on their watches but for me this even stands out among their offerings as being utter class. Love it! What you think and does anyone know price?
    https://www.grand-seiko.com/global-e...ions/SBGM235G/

Craftsman
    Jura advertise at £4750:00

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Not keen, but I don’t like GMT dials.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Owl1
    Not keen either.

Master
    Yet another limited edition, they really need to calm down a bit. And, for me, that's a bit of a mess. Grand Seiko seem all over the shop with their current designs, as if they have no clear idea of what path they want to follow.
    Shame really. A great brand that's a bit lost.

Craftsman
    Lovely... good size too!!!

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

I think it's a winner. The watches it's based on are excellent and ooze quality from every component; the dial puts it over the top.

Related references include: SBGM021 / SBGM221, SBGM023.

Cases on these are top notch, the movement is a delight to use, very smooth to operate very solid and a 'proper GMT'. I think they're under-rated, I've had an SBGM023 for years.

Case thickness is its only Achilles heel, which is a common feature of the modern mechanical GSs, though it hides it well; wear a sports watch for a few weeks then come back to it and it'll feel compact.

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AKM; 9th October 2018 at 13:43.

Master
    Calling Doctor Strange, your watch has arrived.

Master
    Looks stunning in this picture

I rather like that - the textures are reminiscent of the recent "Peacock" one with the blue/green dial. The second photo shows off the texture and the blued hand really well. If I were in the market (never say never) I'd be looking at this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Binsull View Post
    Looks stunning in this picture

Another case of GS taking absolutely crap photos! This post makes me go 'Wow!', whereas the photo in the OP looks flat and totally uninteresting.

Craftsman
    Wow the dial really is stunning in that second picture!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Master
    To me, that dial is far, far too 'busy.' Way too much going on.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Agree with this. Though I like the lay out, the design on the dial is giving me a migraine. They seem to be going a bit louis vuitton to me with all the initials over everything. I think a much less textured dial (or one not full of G & S's) would look a lot better

I'd wager it's not noticeable at any sort of distance, even at eye level when it's on your own wrist. It'll just be clear that it's textured in some way.

Master
    Yet another limited edition, they really need to calm down a bit. And, for me, that's a bit of a mess. Grand Seiko seem all over the shop with their current designs, as if they have no clear idea of what path they want to follow.
    Shame really. A great brand that's a bit lost.
    I think a steady diet of limited editions is increasingly part of a new model of watch making, as it becomes easier to rapidly prototype and produce small runs. Perfect to keep the likes of us interested on Instagram, whether you like this particular one or not. Same with Omega, you can have a standard issue Speedy or for a bit more an ‘interesting’ one - there’s no point in saying ‘not another special edition!’ at this point, that’s what a Speedy is and that’s the business model. Same with GS (though not with Rolex, who do no LEs but simply refuse to sell you the watches, which also seems to work). A pity though that some of the more successful limited editions, eg SBGW253 and other historical models, don’t make it into the standard collection in stainless steel, where they could continue to enhance and define the brand. They could also put some of that spare creativity into making the autos thinner and offering an alternative take on their chronos and divers, which seem to come from another brand entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Another case of GS taking absolutely crap photos! This post makes me go 'Wow!', whereas the photo in the OP looks flat and totally uninteresting.
    To be fair, the Instagram photo appears to have been fairly comprehensively messed about with. GS tends to take very honest, flat pics of its products. Under promise / over deliver.

As much of a fan of Grand Seiko I'm not keen on this model. The dial is way to busy for my liking.

Saying that though I'm not keen on the re-designed dial layout either.

Prefer the Seiko lettering at the top of the dial.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Siberian Blue Eyes View Post
    Saying that though I'm not keen on the re-designed dial layout either.

Prefer the Seiko lettering at the top of the dial.
    Yup, agreed - the GS only dials lack the balance of the Seiko GS ones for me. But they've removed Seiko entirely from the dials now, so all new models will lack it.

No thanks! Horrible dial chaos and truly awful date window. GS do well to follow the KISS principle (at which they excel!).

Blog Entries
    Big fan of GS but not for me.

Master
    Not for me, snowflake is though

Journeyman
    Looked at the pictures on Instagram and they looked phenomenal. I don’t think the dial is too busy (no more than any sky dweller or watch with sub dials)...and having seen a couple of these patterned dials up close they’re not in your face busy. But very subtle...will definitely need to try on first though.

Master
    It looks a lot more subtle here

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Binsull View Post
    It looks a lot more subtle here
    I thought it might. I had a look at the anniversary 9F, the one with the beads of rice bracelet, in the Knightsbridge store and the textured dial is just lovely, no still image could capture the way it responds to the light. It's also worth shrinking pictures in this thread down to the actual size of the watch to get an idea of how it will really look, then you can see that the G and S in the pattern are way too small to read without a loupe, they just provide texture to catch the light. The same applies to the power reserve indicators on the spring drives, in reality it's barely visible and only a few mm across, not the giant lever it appears to be in huge macro photos!

I prefer the simpler SBGM021/221 if I'm honest.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Any pictures of the back case?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by coolchow View Post
    Any pictures of the back case?

Pic here, along with one of the white strap that comes with it

https://www.instagram.com/p/Boy5DYFH...=1jsm3fdq4qseg

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    I thought it might. I had a look at the anniversary 9F, the one with the beads of rice bracelet, in the Knightsbridge store and the textured dial is just lovely, no still image could capture the way it responds to the light. It's also worth shrinking pictures in this thread down to the actual size of the watch to get an idea of how it will really look, then you can see that the G and S in the pattern are way too small to read without a loupe, they just provide texture to catch the light. The same applies to the power reserve indicators on the spring drives, in reality it's barely visible and only a few mm across, not the giant lever it appears to be in huge macro photos!
    Here's the other one...I took the bracelet off. I think the dial is quite a lot less fussy. But, as always, it's a personal thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Here's the other one...I took the bracelet off. I think the dial is quite a lot less fussy. But, as always, it's a personal thing.
    It is much less fussy, and I prefer it. I wasn’t so keen from the initial publicity photos, but in the metal I was quite taken with it. The 9S isn’t for me, but I’d still be very wary of judging a GS from photos - as you’ll be well aware you need to see them in person to understand the play of light on those textured dials.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Now that ticks all the boxes.
    J

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Yup, agreed - the GS only dials lack the balance of the Seiko GS ones for me. But they've removed Seiko entirely from the dials now, so all new models will lack it.
    I really can't see how you could say that.
    On the whole, the old Seiko/GS dials were a right old dog's dinner of different fonts and styles.

The new ones are much better in my opinion.