closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Red Wine Aerators

Red Wine Aerators

I broke my Vinturi the other day and before replacing it, I thought I'd ask whether anyone has an alternative recommendation.

I quite fancy the Vinturi Tower set:

These are available on the Vinturi website at $24.99 at the moment but they don't ship outside the US, and they seem to be much more expensive here in Blighty.

Does anyone know of a better / cheaper comparable alternative?

TIA.
    Last edited by DMC102; 8th October 2018 at 18:12.

Not a 'tower' one, just the standard: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Magic-Decan.../dp/B00CY45U5A

I'm not the right person to ask if it's comparable to the Vinturi as I used this once linked above and put it away again as it seemed like a complete gimmick. No different - to me - to leaving the bottle to air for a while as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Not a 'tower' one, just the standard: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Magic-Decan.../dp/B00CY45U5A

I'm not the right person to ask if it's comparable to the Vinturi as I used this once linked above and put it away again as it seemed like a complete gimmick. No different - to me - to leaving the bottle to air for a while as usual.
    I have the same one as this and other than the stand, I'm not sure if there is any difference?

The one I have does the job for me.

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post

Thanks. I looked at these and several others that look to be direct copies of the Vinturi - wasn't sure whether they're any good though.

I'm not always patient enough to let a bottle breathe for an hour or more

Craftsman
    I'm not the right person to ask if it's comparable to the Vinturi as I used this once linked above and put it away again as it seemed like a complete gimmick. No different - to me - to leaving the bottle to air for a while as usual.[/QUOTE]

Completely agree, why not just give the glass a swirl?

I've got one that plugs into the bottle neck but I've stopped using it. A few years ago I was told by a (very knowledgeable) bloke who runs a local wine shop that if I've a good bottle wine decant it (really jollop it in) into a jug as this gets plenty of air to it and leave it to sit for a good hour or more. I find it you poor it fast enough into a glass it basically does the same sort of thing as well if pushed for time. If you just open a bottle and let it sit the only part getting aired is the tiny surface bit in the neck

Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    I've got one that plugs into the bottle neck but I've stopped using it. A few years ago I was told by a (very knowledgeable) bloke who runs a local wine shop that if I've a good bottle wine decant it (really jollop it in) into a jug as this gets plenty of air to it and leave it to sit for a good hour or more. I find it you poor it fast enough into a glass it basically does the same sort of thing as well if pushed for time. If you just open a bottle and let it sit the only part getting aired is the tiny surface bit in the neck
    Totally agree as far as decanting goes, but it's not ideal if you don't intend to drink the whole bottle, which is why I always thought the aerator things were a good idea.

I also had similar advice about letting it breathe in the bottle, i.e. only the surface is exposed to the air and so it takes a long old time. Longer when you're thirsty :)

From the bottle to a jug two or three times and back into the bottle. Makes a massive difference to the wine

I have one of the cheap magic decanters. Works pretty well.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by DMC102 View Post
    Thanks. I looked at these and several others that look to be direct copies of the Vinturi - wasn't sure whether they're any good though.

I'm not always patient enough to let a bottle breathe for an hour or more
    I get that entirely. When it comes to this sort of thing, if it works for you, it works for you. It could well be a superb bit of kit for those who can actually taste a difference, and I don't think I'm in that group!

A hotel owner I once knew always used the coffee cafetiere
    Empty the bottle into it, pump the filter up and down 10 or so times, job done!
    Works well on something like Aussie Shiraz
    Tried the comparison with in-cafetiered and it does taste better!

Never use any gadgets to aerate or to decanter my vinos. Usually leave a bottle open for a couple of hours (older the wine longer it needs naturally). I also give it a swirl once or twice, mind you it always tastes better next day so perhaps I need to look into it.

One trick I picked up in French restaurants/brasseries is to pour vino in a warm glass which opens it up instantly. Works great with old full bodied ones like St Estephe
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post

One trick I picked up in French restaurants/brasseries is to pour vino in a warm glass which opens it up instantly. Works great with old full bodied ones like St Estephe
    I'll definitely give that a go

On a really good bottle of wine (usually a few years old) - I’d be standing it upright, for at least 3 days, before carefully decanting it into a jug/decanter - to avoid any throw-off/sediment from going with the wine. Sometimes it goes back into the (rinsed) bottle - and I use a funnel for that, which should assist with the aeration.

Craftsman
    Just decant the wine, the whole aerator thing is a waste of time and money.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl.1 View Post
    Just decant the wine, the whole aerator thing is a waste of time and money.
    That depends how quickly you want to quaff it

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    On a really good bottle of wine (usually a few years old) - I’d be standing it upright, for at least 3 days, before carefully decanting it into a jug/decanter - to avoid any throw-off/sediment from going with the wine. Sometimes it goes back into the (rinsed) bottle - and I use a funnel for that, which should assist with the aeration.
    Agreed, only thing I’d add is that the cafetière filter will “stop” the sediment too

. I find it you poor it fast enough into a glass it basically does the same sort of thing as well if pushed for time.
    I find if you pour it quickly enough into your mouth, it soon tastes just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Agreed, only thing I’d add is that the cafetière filter will “stop” the sediment too
    Good point! Although I wouldn’t do that with an old-expensive wine - just in case some sediment got past. That might mean plan B for the meal.

Totally agree as far as decanting goes, but it's not ideal if you don't intend to drink the whole bottle, which is why I always thought the aerator things were a good idea.
    Don't intend to drink a whole bottle?! Pardon? What? Sorry, I'm not sure I understand that concept.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    To be fair I generally open a good bottle in the morning and "pour with vigour" we'll say into a receptacle. It normally has the best part of 6 hours to settle again. I've never had an issue with sediment but I am wary of it when getting to the bottom of the decanter / jug and pour accordingly. With port I decant using a unbleached coffee filter paper. This works amazingly well.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Much like a beer bong. I prefer wine in a bag as you can squeeze the bag forcing it through the nozzle, aerating it as you go directly into you mouth. This saves on taking glasses / cups / old super tennents cans down to the park.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master
    I admit I have very little knowledge on this subject. Does it help with £ 7 vin du plonc from the supermarket?
    I always thought it is the vintage wines that need this kind of 'stuff'

Quote Originally Posted by 72bpm View Post
    I admit I have very little knowledge on this subject. Does it help with £ 7 vin du plonc from the supermarket?
    Reading the reviews, many suggest it has a greater effect on cheaper bottles than more expensive.
    Naturally, that is all relative, and the chances are they'll have given the cheaper bottles more tries with the device than expensive, so possibly more room for their samples to have been 'improved' in the cheaper category.

Quote Originally Posted by 72bpm View Post

Dear Dr. Vinny,
    What is the science behind the aeration of wine? What does air do to a wine? Why is it if a wine is closed and then you put air though it (via a funnel of some type) that it can release the aromas and flavors of the wine?
    —Heidi Y., Grande Prairie, Alberta
    Dear Heidi,
    Exposing wine to air does two things: it triggers oxidation and evaporation. Oxidation is what makes an apple turn brown after its skin is broken, and evaporation is the process of liquid turning into vapor. Wine is made up of hundreds of compounds, and with aeration, usually the volatile undesirable compounds will evaporate faster than the desirable, aromatic and flavorful ones.
    There are a few particular compounds that are reduced with aeration, such as sulfites, which are added to wine to prevent oxidation and microbial activity but can smell like burnt matchsticks, and sulfides, which are naturally occurring but can remind you of rotten eggs or onionskins. Ethanol is also a highly volatile compound, and a wine that smells too much like rubbing alcohol when you first open it might lose the ethanol note and become more expressive with some aeration.
    You mention funnels as a way to aerate wine, but just opening a bottle and pouring a glass will also provide aeration, as will swirling your glass of wine. For more extreme aeration, decanting a wine works well too. After a while, aerated wines begin to oxidize, and the flavors and aromas will flatten out. The more dense and concentrated a wine is, the more it will benefit from aeration and the longer it can go before beginning to fade. On the other hand, you probably don’t want to aerate delicate older wines for long, as you can miss out on their unique aromas, but they’re often decanted to remove sediment.
    —Dr. Vinny

Don't think it would make much difference to Ch Croix de Plonc tbh, good test is to open it and leave to breathe for 24 hours. If it tastes better next day then it should help. Let me put it this was, it's not going to make it worse innit..
    Last edited by VDG; 11th October 2018 at 22:11.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Cappuccino frother.

For those who like to go all the way.

Fas est ab hoste doceri

Craftsman
    LSA 1.5litre decanter. Nice large surface area, looks good on the table too. £20.

Quote Originally Posted by broxie View Post
    LSA 1.5litre decanter. Nice large surface area, looks good on the table too. £20.
    Similarly I got one of these https://www.johnlewis.com/lsa-intern...-4l/p230721704 after being served red from one in Pisa. Very easy to swirl and aesthetically pleasing.

Quote Originally Posted by bagman View Post
    From the bottle to a jug two or three times and back into the bottle. Makes a massive difference to the wine
    Yep, way to go - except I never bother to put it back into the bottle, just serve it from the jug, managed a jug full of a rather good Merlot myself tonight. Oh, and a couple of wee drams of Laphroaig 10yo to round the evening off.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

I'm wondering if they thrown in an aerator FOC with this one link

Fas est ab hoste doceri

There was a science v chef thing on tv a year or two back where they aerated a good red wine in a blender. It worked perfectly but Marcus Wareing really wasn't a fan.

Craftsman
    I broke my Vinturi the other day and before replacing it, I thought I'd ask whether anyone has an alternative recommendation.

TIA.
    Yes, nice wine glass and a swirl. You should be able to find the Riedel Veritas Cabernet/Merlot Glass for about that price each.