closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: ETA Thermoline

Hybrid View

ETA Thermoline

Really struggling to find what watches are out there that use one of the thermo compensated calibers? I know about some of the Breitling ones but is there a list that shows them all???

I am quite sure that Certina has few models, but don't know which ones.

Journeyman
    I think Omega has quite a few models, but they don't really advertise it strong. The new digital Z33 has it and some of the constellation quartz ones do as well. I think maybe the newer X33s speedmasters as well? (Not sure about that one - but I think Omega sneaked this in a while back)

Longines also has a new thermoline movement, which is rated +/- 5 rather than 10 like most of the ETA thermocompensated stuff, that came out last year. It seems that it's only for Longines and only in their "Conquest VHP" models so far.

Oh and a few "microbrands" and smaller manufacturers have used them here and there. I think Christopher Ward and Krieger had a few thermoline quartz here and there.

There are probably a lot more watches that use these, but strangely enough the thermocompensation isn't really marketed very strongly and sometimes isn't even included in the product description/specs.

Journeyman
    Oh and lets not forget the Japanese:

Citizen does the best thermocompensation IMHO. The "Chronomaster" watches come with +/- 5 as standard on all their quartz models, which is quite impressive since they are relatively affordable compared to Swiss thermocompensated watches and generally more accurate. They used to also do thermocompensated "Exceed" watches which were insanely cheap given that they were rated to +/- 10 seconds a year and came in at around £500. This was probably the best value for money option when it came to thermocompensation. Sadly they have moved to radio controlled movements for the Exceed line so they are getting rarer and it can be a pain to try and source these (I tried and can't seem to find them at reasonable prices outside of Japan anymore - not that they were sold widely outside of Japan to begin with).

Seiko also does a lot of thermocompensated quartz. Pretty much all current/recent quartz (not including spring drive) Grand Seikos are thermocompensated. They do some +/- 5 ones (mostly special editions) but most of them are +/- 10.

The different caliber databases show lists of watches using any specific caliber, but I don't know of a complete list. Sinn, Breitling and Omega come to mind. My Wempe also uses a thermo-compensated ETA. Should be within 10 seconds a year, with a battery life of 180 months.

Thanks for the ideas, it really is hard tracking down some of these!