closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Weekend mini project thread

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    This. A self made pot plant stand for my Mother-in-law to have in her garden. Made from pallet wood, it's taken me the last four weekends and multiple cups of tea. It's fairly square at each corner and level, it includes an integral drainpipe to catch rain and fill up a small jug so she can water the plants in the stand.
    Not only recycled, but with integrated water saving technology - brilliant

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Thomas Reid
    In addition to the workbench changes (other thread), I needed a holder for watches I might wear on any given day. Made out of bits and pieces, and certainly not elegant. The uprights turn and lift off, as I put dowels in the base, and a hole for the dowels in the uprights.

Best wishes,
    Bob
    Last edited by rfrazier; 29th July 2019 at 13:19.

The third and final ship's lamp of this type nearing completion. The second image with the clamps is to get the rubber seal to sit correctly within the access lid. I haven't decided what to do with this lamp once completed.

Being at a bit of a loose end today (weather too bad for cycling, gardening etc) I took a coffee to the garage and looked for a job. I bought this pedestal drill earlier in the year, it looked unloved and hadn't been used for some time.

A few hours later, it looks like the second photo.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Well I finally got around to checking out a few of my late fathers old toolboxes.....mostly junk, (he was never much of a handyman) but my trained eye spotted a couple of old abused chisels. I'm a bit OCD when it comes to my garage, tools and equipment, and it's fair to say that my workshop is pretty well kitted out....

saw some potential in the barely discernable "cast steel imprints on these 2 /
    first step was to do a basic clean on the wire brush machine

some lathe work to clean up some old boxwood handles
    and after some precision sharpening on the Sorby pro-edge and some machine polishing with compound and sisal mop, the finished items

a couple of Marples chisels from the 1940-50 period, crucible steel that both takes and holds an edge, ready to see me out, and part of a growing collection of 150 plus edged tools in the shop.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Well I finally got around to checking out a few of my late fathers old toolboxes.....mostly junk, (he was never much of a handyman) but my trained eye spotted a couple of old abused chisels. I'm a bit OCD when it comes to my garage, tools and equipment, and it's fair to say that my workshop is pretty well kitted out....

saw some potential in the barely discernable "cast steel imprints on these 2 /
    first step was to do a basic clean on the wire brush machine

some lathe work to clean up some old boxwood handles
    and after some precision sharpening on the Sorby pro-edge and some machine polishing with compound and sisal mop, the finished items

a couple of Marples chisels from the 1940-50 period, crucible steel that both takes and holds an edge, ready to see me out, and part of a growing collection of 150 plus edged tools in the shop.
    Congratulations, they are stunning and are now a reflection of your professional skilful eye and hand as well as a credit to their maker .

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Recently my Boy's Nintendo Switch has been overheating. Last weekend we stripped it down to clean the fan and heat exchanger of the detritus that has accumulated over two and a half years of heavy gaming. Sadly that didn't work (I think we may have been a little exuberant when seeing how fast we could spin the fan with our fingers). On discoving that a replacement fan is only a tenner it seemed obvious what to do. Add a bit more for the correct three-lobed Nintendo screwdriver and some decent thermal paste we were set to go this weekend. All the gear:

Back off (and a bit more gear)

New fan, heat pipe and new thermal paste in:

All ready to go again. And no parts left over.

Half an hour later and the machine hasn't shut down because it is too hot. I consider that a success.

Having had the dry run last weekend he knew what to do and my role was mainly supervisory and lending a helping hand with problematic screws. It got me to thinking. When I was his age I was beside my Dad in his workshop helping him with his cars, lawnmower or my bicycles. Not having the space I have been unable to offer the same education to my son and I have felt quite bad about it. But last night I realised that, in this day and age, a better understanding of electronic devices is more important. Plus he figured out that, if he can fix his own Switch, he can fix others and earn money from it. The exercise also taught him how a centrifugal fan works so there a bit of mechanical education did creep in.

Master
    I’ve got an X246B Tilley lamp I might try to get going

Over the last week, I made a compost bin from spare wood, it's now up at the top of the garden. The slats at the front allow the contents to be removed when (hopefully) composting has taken place and its designed to allow another section to be placed on top if this one isn't big enough.

Anyone else got any BH projects on the go?

Master
    Had a pallet left over from a delivery, so thought I'd make a 'drop off box' when we're not home.

Didn't want to mechanically secure it so made a false floor, lined it with block pavers and then placed the floor in - it can be moved but is very heavy.

Lid was made from my old shed I took down as were the hinges, rest was the pallet, used fence paint for the colour.

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Estoril-5 View Post
    Had a pallet left over from a delivery, so thought I'd make a 'drop off box' when we're not home.

Didn't want to mechanically secure it so made a false floor, lined it with block pavers and then placed the floor in - it can be moved but is very heavy.

Lid was made from my old shed I took down as were the hinges, rest was the pallet, used fence paint for the colour.

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using Tapatalk
    That is a good idea and looks very elegant too. Nice work.

A friend of ours has an allotment and asked if I could make a hedgehog box. Had a spare day yesterday so made this out of marine ply and old decking, going to tack down the tar chipping roof cover before I take it for her, it also needs to have some leaves put inside.

I made this from a pallet. It's far from perfect, but it allowed me to try out a few techniques.

Master

Our 4 kayak rack

Helped my mates dad yesterday put the finishing touches to out basic but very sturdy 4 kayak rack
    Moving the kayaks over Tuesday
    Untitled by biglewie, on Flickr

Nice job, but wouldn't it have been cheaper and easier to get one custom made from metal? You must have at least a couple of thousands worth of timber there.

Great thread and great projects. I very recently bought myself an Electric Smoker, I decided to build myself a mini-smokehouse. I was very happy with the results. I have really got into cooking too and using different techniques.

^^^° that looks superb!

Master
    Ribs look great, but not sure where the chips have gone! Have a look for Reds Pitt Beans, throw them under the ribs as they cook - they are amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Ribs look great, but not sure where the chips have gone! Have a look for Reds Pitt Beans, throw them under the ribs as they cook - they are amazing!
    Thanks buddy, will do

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Ribs look great, but not sure where the chips have gone!
    What IS all that other stuff on the plate?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Nice job, but wouldn't it have been cheaper and easier to get one custom made from metal? You must have at least a couple of thousands worth of timber there.
    For £90 sure I couldn’t have got a custom metal one made for that

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    For £90 sure I couldn’t have got a custom metal one made for that
    I was having a moan about the price of timber; no insult was intended.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    I was having a moan about the price of timber; no insult was intended.
    None taken - indeed probably nearly doubled

Master
    SIL has just found an interest in darts so I rummaged in the shed for wood off cuts and threw this together for him this afternoon
    Grand total of £7 - paint and lettering
    180 by biglewie, on Flickr

Master
    Nice work!

As I've got some time off coming up, I am thinking about what little projects I can start that I'll have a hope of actually finishing! Winter was spent mainly acquiring tools...
    Have been thinking of putting up some guitar hangers to get them off the floor. I realise that in the spirit of this thread I should really make them!

Hardly a project, but having bought a new Mac Studio which has the air intakes underneath just above desk level, I decided it needed to be raised up in case of a spillage of a liquid nature. Luckily Spigen make an excellent stand for the Studio with a removable filter. Then I realised that my external drives with everything backed up in duplicate are also sitting in the line of flood. Hmmm. A quickly repurposed old CD case, feet made from hand crafted slices of wine corks, non slip rubber on the feet . . .

Now to dust the lot and task the design team to come up with something for the router. ;-) There's a 3x2 offcut that may do the trick.
    F.T.F.A.

Good to see this thread back up, I do love seeing ingenuity.

Due to the awful weather of late I've been stymied on my current projects (car, boat) and so decided to have a clear up of the man shed instead. Which in turn resulted in some forgotten old tools being refurbished. No photos taken but I'll get some more work up soon.

In the meanwhile, here's the end result of a non-working tilt/lift hydraulic system from the boat's outboard engine: many, many hours of heat/lubricate/hitting to get the top and bottom swivel pins out of the mechanism.

Looking forward to getting it back in the boat - when it finally stops pouring down!
    R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    This weekend I have mostly been.....

It may not be particularly inventive but it has taken a fair amount of time. At least I had the test to listen to.

At the end of the year I like to give all my gardening tools (home and allotment) a wash and brush up, some tools also need sharpening and anything with bare metal gets a wipe with oil to protect it from the seaside damp over the winter.

As I have more time on my hands now, when I was done with the gardening equipment I had a look through my other toolboxes to see if anything needed attention. I noticed the dire condition of my hammers, rusty and looking unloved. So each one got washed, sanded, a coat of Kurust and then sprayed with hammer black paint. These are the results. If I had a sanding belt I could have got a smoother finish but I am more than happy with how they turned out (I didn't take a before picture unfortunately). I don't have anything to treat the wooden handles, at a push could I rub in some olive oil?

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves.