closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Virtual head sets

Virtual head sets

Any VR headset experts on here…i know it’s a long shot perhaps?

I don't really understand them and come from the XBOX era but my lads been on about these for ages. His birthday is in January so thinking of combining xmas and birthday together. Looking at the Meta Quest 3 and the HTC Vive Pro 2. Seen a few reviews and confused doesn't even cut it. Does anyone have either of these who can advise whats good and whats bad?

Does he have a games console already (if so, which?) or is this for PC (as your mentioned units suggest)?

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Does he have a games console already (if so, which?) or is this for PC (as your mentioned units suggest)?
    Yes he has a series X and a steam account apparently however i believe the Quest is stand alone and runs from an app

I am not a gamer but having tried the Meta Quest 2 headset some months ago that a work colleague had, I bought one. There's a group of 4 of us that play Walkabout Mini Golf and Golf+ every now and again; none of us are golfers. I've not tried the Quest 3 headset but if you're happy with the cost (it's no more expensive than the Quest 2 was when the latest and greatest) I'd go for it. There's a Cirque du Soleil offering that I can heartily recommend.
    Last edited by Skier; 11th December 2023 at 15:37.

Master
    I was in Curries PC World ( superstore , not high street) mid last week. As you came in there was a big pop up Meta demo stage with two VR headsets. Also down by the big 85” TV’s was another “studio” with VR headsets.

Might be worth you popping down to your local superstore and try / ask / learn about them first hand.

Steve

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Any VR headset experts on here…i know it’s a long shot perhaps?

I don't really understand them and come from the XBOX era but my lads been on about these for ages. His birthday is in January so thinking of combining xmas and birthday together. Looking at the Meta Quest 3 and the HTC Vive Pro 2. Seen a few reviews and confused doesn't even cut it. Does anyone have either of these who can advise whats good and whats bad?
    We’ve got an Occulus Quest 1, 2 and a Pro in the house, and we use all 3 regularly.

I love Beat Saber, Golf+ and Golf 5 (I’ve never played actual Golf) but use the Pro with Steam VR games and Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 and a cable for a very immersive flight sim experience.

The Pro has the best display of the 3, the pancake lenses make a big difference and the resolution is higher than the other two. The Quest 3 you’re looking at has pancake lenses as well, and is equally high resolution. The HTC Vive Pro 2 has stacked Fresnel lenses similar to the Quest 1 and 2, so I’d expect optical quality to be similar.

What does he want to do with a headset? Neither the Quest 3 or HTC Vive Pro 2 connect natively to his Series X, but there are workarounds via side loading software to make it work if he did.

The Quest series are all standalone as you say, and have a wide and growing amount of native games and apps, and if he wants to dip his toes into VR gaming and augmented reality then the Quest 3 ticks those boxes, and the controllers are similar to the Quest Pro and the gesture control without them is excellent as well. Drop me a PM if you think I can help with any specific questions, no worries.

Master
    I got a Quest 1 when they first came out and thought it was great. Have just bought a Quest 3 and it blows the 1 out of the water. Not had time to do much with it so far but the augmented reality makes it something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    We’ve got an Occulus Quest 1, 2 and a Pro in the house, and we use all 3 regularly.

I love Beat Saber, Golf+ and Golf 5 (I’ve never played actual Golf) but use the Pro with Steam VR games and Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 and a cable for a very immersive flight sim experience.

The Pro has the best display of the 3, the pancake lenses make a big difference and the resolution is higher than the other two. The Quest 3 you’re looking at has pancake lenses as well, and is equally high resolution. The HTC Vive Pro 2 has stacked Fresnel lenses similar to the Quest 1 and 2, so I’d expect optical quality to be similar.

What does he want to do with a headset? Neither the Quest 3 or HTC Vive Pro 2 connect natively to his Series X, but there are workarounds via side loading software to make it work if he did.

The Quest series are all standalone as you say, and have a wide and growing amount of native games and apps, and if he wants to dip his toes into VR gaming and augmented reality then the Quest 3 ticks those boxes, and the controllers are similar to the Quest Pro and the gesture control without them is excellent as well. Drop me a PM if you think I can help with any specific questions, no worries.
    Thanks for the reply and I’ll get some specific questions to you, I guess the main one is that there’s s big difference price wise between the 2 devices. The Meta 3 being around £450 and the HTC being nearly double. In Curry’s yesterday I tried on the Meta and was blown away by the AR and hand tracking capability. The lad has his mind set on the HTC but I think he’s fallen in to the old higher price so must be better scenario. He’s never tried either and is just going from online reviews. Does the HTC really command double the price I guess is the real question?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by stevieb View Post
    I got a Quest 1 when they first came out and thought it was great. Have just bought a Quest 3 and it blows the 1 out of the water. Not had time to do much with it so far but the augmented reality makes it something else.
    Yes, just looking at your hands and the first few minutes of the demo is really impressive. Not sure I could use it a lot tbh as it made me feel quite weird but clever nonetheless.

Master
    Thanks for the reply and I’ll get some specific questions to you, I guess the main one is that there’s s big difference price wise between the 2 devices. The Meta 3 being around £450 and the HTC being nearly double. In Curry’s yesterday I tried on the Meta and was blown away by the AR and hand tracking capability. The lad has his mind set on the HTC but I think he’s fallen in to the old higher price so must be better scenario. He’s never tried either and is just going from online reviews. Does the HTC really command double the price I guess is the real question?

A big difference between the two headsets is that you need a PC for the HTC Pro 2, and it isn’t wireless out of the box and you need an adaptor add on, the Quest 2 is standalone and wireless already.

If I was sat at my desk playing PC VR games and happy with the cable, then perhaps the HTC would be good, but if your son doesn’t have a PC then it’s probably a non starter?

The HTC has slightly lower hand tracking latency, but I believe the pass through cameras on the Q3 are better, and the pancake lenses are superior to the fresnel ones in the HTC, albeit they have a marginally better field of view.

My daughter likes the ‘pick up and go’ aspect of the Quest headsets, and giggles her head off playing Job Simulator etc.

I reckon it's all summed up above - but Meta Quest is a fantastic stand-alone device that needs nothing extra just to start playing. It's genuinely an astonishing device.

There are some super prices on the Meta Quest 2 at the moment - the 3 is obviously better but is more than double the price:
    https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/met...-128gb-4256571

The Hive needs a PC to plug into, if he's an XBOX gamer and has no, good gaming PC then I'd rule it out.

Just to add, we have a Quest 1 and the whole family enjoy it.
    Last edited by RickChard; 11th December 2023 at 09:52.

Master
    Yes, just looking at your hands and the first few minutes of the demo is really impressive. Not sure I could use it a lot tbh as it made me feel quite weird but clever nonetheless.

I’m concerned I will feel motion sickness from it, so need to try. Mine will be for the PS5 to play GT but it’s a costly piece of kit for a single game that I will play as the offering currently stands.

I remember seeing the clip of walking along a plank out from a lift and how immersive it was for the person with the VR and how daft it looked for everyone else. May have been League of their Own. Amazing tech really.

Thanks for all the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I’m concerned I will feel motion sickness from it, so need to try. Mine will be for the PS5 to play GT but it’s a costly piece of kit for a single game that I will play as the offering currently stands.

I remember seeing the clip of walking along a plank out from a lift and how immersive it was for the person with the VR and how daft it looked for everyone else. May have been League of their Own. Amazing tech really.
    It certainly wont be something for me unless i simply haven't used it enough but within a few minutes i just feel disorientated and even more so when i take it off.
    In saying that if i play COD again after not playing it for months i also now feel a bit weird so it’s not just these new fangled headsets.

seem to be a few deals on the older quest 2.
    Argos being one.

has anyone got it working without Facebook account?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trott3r View Post
    seem to be a few deals on the older quest 2.
    Argos being one.

has anyone got it working without Facebook account?
    You don’t need a Facebook account any more, just a Meta one to handle purchases and syncing etc, sign up via the app or web, even though it’s a Meta company Facebook isn’t required.