closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Down lighter transformer melted!

Master

Down lighter transformer melted!

Had an extension built 14 years ago and had halogen downlighting fitted and up until now just the odd halogen bulb has gone, recently though two lights have stopped working, I change the bulbs but they still didn’t work so today I decided to investigate further.
    This is what I found......
    One had a dimple melted into the
    transformer and also one side of the connection block had melted
    The other had a very blackened connection block.
    Is this normal?
    I have now replaced everything in the chain from the feed to the bulbs.
    Last edited by dizz; 6th October 2018 at 17:04.

Master
    Any poor connection can lead to resistance and overheating. Poor connections can be due to loose or corroded connections or wires. Kitchen wiring can get damp due to steamy conditions over cookers/kettles etc. Also check for dampness in the ceiling/roof area.

It looks like one of the plastic connectors was resting on the transformer so melted. Ideal time to replace the lot with modern mains poweredl leds I think ?

Often happens with Low Voltage Halogens, they are downright dangerous if not installed properly. Go for LEDs.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    It looks like one of the plastic connectors was resting on the transformer so melted. Ideal time to replace the lot with modern mains poweredl leds I think ?
    I think your spot on there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Often happens with Low Voltage Halogens, they are downright dangerous if not installed properly. Go for LEDs.
    Echo this. We had similar issues with one in the bathroom despite being fitted by qualified electricians. All good and well having the cone suppressor over the lights to isolate potential fire risks due to the heat generated, but they are hardly beneficial when the transformers are overheating.

LEDs do away with the transformers, yet to have a bulb blow, low heat etc. Upgrade time.

Master
    We've had the same kind of problem before, and its normally down to the transformer being in contact with something.
    I'm thinking of replacing all the transformer downlighter with led mains powered ones.

The problem with these transformers is that no matter who fits them unless they are screwed to something they will move from where they’ve been placed as you push the lit fitting in.

I had similar on 2 of mine so a few years ago dumped them all and replaced them with leds.

don't forget that you can't use loft/cavity insulation in close proximity or they will overheat.....

Are burnt connectors on the AC or DC side?

2nd this.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Are burnt connectors on the AC or DC side?
    Light 1
    The melted connector was before the transformer.

Light 2
    The burnt/blackened connector was after the transformer (between the transformer and the bulb)

Last edited by dizz; 7th October 2018 at 14:13.

Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    mains poweredl leds I think ?
    Definitely the way to go.

Master
    I agree, we now have them in both our kitchen and bathroom. They seem to last longer and they definitely consume a great deal less electricity.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

in the day when I had AC/DC converted halogen ones in my bathroom and kitchen I remember using ceramic connecting blocks - they act like a heatsink
    looks like those are standard plastic ones which have melted causing the issue

use LEDS / ceramic blocks - makes sure they dont touch the transformers, maybe find transformers with heatsinks on them if yours are getting too hot

Last edited by Xantiagib; 9th October 2018 at 10:27.

Craftsman
    Some of the more expensive transformers have a thermal cut out built in. Did the fitting work intermittently for a time?

I would advise any one with 12v halogen down lights to replace with LED.

The old LV halogens produce too much heat and end up baking the components around them over time. Before LED became popular I would always advise against using 50 watt 12v lamps and suggest using 35 watt or even 20 watt Aluminuim backed lamps that direct the heat downward along side ceramic connectors. The very cheap 50w LV lamps push a lot of heat upward.

You will also appreciate the energy saving over a year - 50w of halogen v 5w of LED - you don't have to be a mathematician.

It's quite an easy fix to replace LV with mains voltage LED. An electrician shouldn't charge too much or if you feel confident have a go yourself, just be safe.

Lose cable or too thin cable...

Quote Originally Posted by Mathif View Post
    Lose cable or too thin cable...

Did you read the entire thread?

Master
    The lights just failed without warning over about a six months period (kept putting of investigating) they were fitted when the extension was built around fourteen years ago, so fitted ok by the election, it’s just old age of the units that’s causing them to fail.

I am considering changing the main kitchen lights (8x 50w halogen) to LEDs as they are on the most and therefore use the most power. Seems the best bet is to do away with the transformers altogether and go mains power driven.
    I’m looking at all in one LED lamp units but it’s a bit of a mine field, colour temp, wattage choice, manufacturer etc.
    Any electrical savvy people who have done this conversation recently (LED technology moves on quickly it seems) who can advise me where to start please?

I ended up replacing both the existing down lighters housings and the bulbs. Reason for doing this was the previous housing that my builder fitted were open which I didn’t know so changed them out for something fully enclosed and supposedly much safer.

For the bulbs and I know they get slated, I ended up with Aurora Enlite bulbs as a friend in the know recommended them and to date they’ve been fine.
    Last edited by IAmATeaf; 14th October 2018 at 21:09.

Craftsman
    We’ve fitted close to 600 Of these. Very quick they come with the plugs and the lights have the socket intergrated which makes them extremely quick to change. Spread of light is good with a 60 degree beam angle. You can change the bezels separately from the fitting so can match them to an existing style.

http://enlitelighting.com/gb/ProductDetail/EN-DE6PRO