closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seamaster 300 42mm

Craftsman

Seamaster 300 42mm

Just looking at the new Seamaster 300 42mm and at RRP didn't expect it being £700 more expensive, is it worth the additional cost?

Craftsman
    Depends on your interpretation of worth. It's got a METAS approved 8800 movement and loads of tech inside but to be honest it's clearly not cheap.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TZ-UK mobile app

Not worth the extra for me I’m afraid.

I’d like to see what special/limited editions they come up with over the models lifespan, as not one of the current versions hits me 100% as a buy. The standard black model looks the best, but I’m not yet sold on the cut dials.
    It's just a matter of time...

Blog Entries
    Was invited to a do last night at the local Omega AD, to showcase the new Seamaster 300. Went along because they had some good discounts on all stock (including shiny things for the missus).

Wasn't really impressed with the watch in pictures but in the metal its different altogether. The wavy lines on the dial are a lot less clingy in real life and it doesn't feel too high or top heavy either. All in all I thought it was a good looking watch and with the metas 8800 movement great value for money. I'd recommend anyone who liked the original wavy dial models to take a look at one on the wrist.
    Ian.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WillHarris2306 View Post
    Depends on your interpretation of worth. It's got a METAS approved 8800 movement and loads of tech inside but to be honest it's clearly not cheap.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TZ-UK mobile app
    +1. Also the case to height ratio is an improvement (IMHO). The 8800 movement is only slightly bigger than the 2500 with its single barrel and new improvements which should increase time between service intervals and improve time keeping with ball bearing rotor.

But it I think they are an improvement- so much I bought the black with gold bezel (black ceramic insert)

Martyn
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 17th November 2018 at 17:35.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    +1. Also the case to height ratio is an improvement (IMHO). The 8800 movement is only slightly bigger than the 2500 with its single barrel and new improvements which should increase time between service intervals and improve time keeping with ball bearing rotor.

But it I think they are an improvement- so much I bought the black with gold bezel (black ceramic insert)

Martyn
    Nice one Martyn, gorgeous watch. I have the latest Aqua Terra with the 8900 movement (not sure what the difference is between the 8800 and the 8900) but it's insanely accurate (usually +/- 0.5 secs and that's worst case).

I think they look pretty nice. Hated them in photos but when I finally seen them at the AD different story.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    i like the look of mine:

Martyn

Craftsman

Seamaster 300 42mm

From reading a few opinions on multiple threads here it seems the consensus is that the press photos don’t do it justice.

I quite liked the dial pattern on the Rio Seamaster so to see something similar here is appealing. Popped into the AD near me to take a quick peek and in the flesh the only thing unappealing was the price bump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried one yesterday and it’s ok but I was actually more taken with the limited edition winter Olympics watch omega are currently producing.

Journeyman
    Better movement, more rigorous testing and improved bezel. Personally, I still don't think those justify the price increase.

Blog Entries
    This might be of interest

Master
    The return of the waves is worth a grand over the old one!

Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    The return of the waves is worth a grand over the old one!
    Lol

Maybe it will grown on me, but I’m not a fan of how they’ve done the waves 🌊

Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    For what your getting and 5 year warranty it's definitely worth the extra outlay, especially if you compare it to Rolex.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app
    If you buy the older model you’ll save £700 off list, and get the 5 year warranty. Close to a third of the price of a new Sub.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    i like the look of mine:

Martyn
    That is stunning Martyn. I had a quick look at the omega Boutique a few weeks ago.

I love the subtle increase in size!!

Craftsman
    They really do look much better in real life than in the pictures and I was surprised by how high quality they felt.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Not worth the extra for me I’m afraid.

I’d like to see what special/limited editions they come up with over the models lifespan, as not one of the current versions hits me 100% as a buy. The standard black model looks the best, but I’m not yet sold on the cut dials.
    With the movement, dial and standard of finishing on these I’m finding it hard to think of a better value watch. Really beats the Rolex Sub but obviously they will always sell on the name.

Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    With the movement, dial and standard of finishing on these I’m finding it hard to think of a better value watch. Really beats the Rolex Sub but obviously they will always sell on the name.
    I would agree they are better value than the Submariner - but the styling is just not a complete hit for me, and the Seamaster 300m diver has always been one of my all time favourite watches - I must have between 10-15 of them in different years/models - the new one with a date at 6 just doesn’t float my boat as much as any previous model back to the 2531. It might in future, but not yet. Styling wise, it’s just no Rolex Submariner beater by any stretch - even the SubC was an instant classic, this SMP, I’m not so sure.

Craftsman
    This is a watch definitely on 'ze list'. I really need an smp after crazily selling my 2500 coax year's ago. This new model looks great and I was all set for a blue one until I saw Martyns......that winter Olympics one isn't too shabby either....my only issue is that I've just bought a Doxa Sub silver lung and I'm not sure I need two late sixties / early seventies vintage style watches in my small collection

Blog Entries
    Went to a presentation at the local Omega AD and was impressed with the new Seamaster. Ordered one and collected it this week.

Looks so much better in real life and with the ceramic bezel is pretty stunning. Not too high on the wrist either even with the 8800 Master Co-Axial movement. Forget the silly limited editions of late, I rate this as seriously good value for the price. And also has the adjustable clasp so even better! Wasn't sure about the date at 6 until I saw it for real, and now I have to agree about the dial looking better for it.
    Ian