closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do I like the Steinhart Pepsi 39mm so much? A mini-review.

Master

Why do I like the Steinhart Pepsi 39mm so much? A mini-review.

So, why do I like this watch so much?

Well, if truth be told my first choice would of course be the Rolex GMT Pepsi which in hindsight, I should have bought back in the mid 2000’s in London when they were very reasonable indeed but alas, I didn’t. My earning power coupled with current astronomical pricing now means it’s not an option anymore and so what could I find as a decent homage to the beloved Rolex. Steinhart of course! I decided to buy a 42mm initially as that was all you could get and although I loved everything about it, almost, the size and comfort didn’t work and so off it went. My quest continued but to no avail and so low and behold I succumbed a second time and gave the 42mm another go and guess what, it was again too uncomfortable. Off it went. Over subsequent years the rumours of a 39mm emerged and I thought that maybe at last this would be a good fit. Fast-forward to July 2018 and after watching a number of excellent video reviews and photos online I spotted one for sale here on Gumtree and thought sod it, it’s mine. I went and had a look and I was genuinely surprised at how much smaller it was and how good it looked.

I have to admit it’s been many years since I have enjoyed a watch this much and for a very small outlay, just $600 Australian dollars. It really is a very comfortable watch to wear on my 7’ wrist and I hardly notice it’s there, which is how I like my watches.

Why do I love this design so much you might ask? Well, I love the different colours, the GMT complication, the size and versatility of the watch and of course the history with regards to the original GMT. I just think it’s a very cool combination.

So, what are the good points?

• Price and comfort
    • ETA movement
    • 300m WR
    • Great tapering bracelet with screws.
    • Firm bezel
    • Screw down crown
    • GMT
    • Accurate
    • Sapphire crystal, AR coated.

Some of the not so good or should I say, areas for improvement:

• Bi directional bezel as opposed to Uni.
    • Better lume.
    • Cyclops is poor, probably the worst part, and I will probably remove it.
    • Independent hour hand, although that’s asking a bit much at this price point!
    • Gloss dial would be awesome.
    • Forgot to ad, the screws on the bracelet can at times work loose so you have to keep an eye. They haven't done it now since I tightened them a little better the second time.

I did a comparison with the current TAG Pepsi and to be honest, there is very little difference except for a slightly better Cyclops, Bi directional bezel and larger case. However, the price difference is huge. The TAG is RRP A$3550 but you can usually get 20% off so that makes it A$2840!!! New, the Steinhart to me is A$670 roughly, no import duty under $1000. The original, if you can find one here, hovers around A$10,000 at least. Of course the other alternative might be the Tudor, which is A$4670 but it’s not for me.

There you have it, my love for the humble Steinhart Pepsi homage.
    Last edited by stix; 7th October 2018 at 02:42.

I have quite a large wrist, I also bought the 42mm model, it's no bigger dimensions vise than many of the dive watches I own, but it didn't do it for me, back it went for exchange to a 39mm, happy days a great watch, also found it to be very accurate.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by geran View Post
    I have quite a large wrist, I also bought the 42mm model, it's no bigger dimensions vise than many of the dive watches I own, but it didn't do it for me, back it went for exchange to a 39mm, happy days a great watch, also found it to be very accurate.
    Good stuff and I think if Steinhart were to improve a few things on this model and up the price a little, it would be hard to beat! I must admit, this Squale GMT looks fab as well:

http://www.gnomonwatches.com/watches...a-sel-bracelet

Thanks for the review. Due to some fiscal turbulence I sold my BLNR a while back and for far too little money but it was all I could do at the time.

Now things have settled I'd love to replace it but I really don't like the state of the market. I just want to be able to buy one as did in 2013.

These homage watches tick a lot of boxes.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rigster2 View Post
    Thanks for the review. Due to some fiscal turbulence I sold my BLNR a while back and for far too little money but it was all I could do at the time.

Now things have settled I'd love to replace it but I really don't like the state of the market. I just want to be able to buy one as did in 2013.

I understand and in hindsight, I wish I had kept my Seadweller but again, needs must. I did hear that they may be releasing a BLNR but it could be a wild rumour however for me, the 39mm is the sweet spot if they did.
    Last edited by stix; 6th October 2018 at 09:20.

Master
    Great review. That’s a really good watch for the money, congrats.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stix View Post
    I understand I in hindsight, I wish I had kept my Seadweller but again, needs must. I did hear that they may be releasing a BLNR but it could be a wild rumour however for me, the 39mm is the sweet spot if they did.
    Yep, below is from the Steinhart agent in Hong Kong:

What I mention new model 39 in xmas,
    Is 39mm
    Gmt movement 4 hands
    Black and blue full lume bezel
    Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    Yep, below is from the Steinhart agent in Hong Kong:

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk
    Cool thanks for that and maybe it's an LE for that particular AD.

Looks good. I've been threatening to get a Steinhart for ages. Won't be til after new year now, but even then I still keeping changing my mind over which one!

I like the Ocean Vintage Red, but it only comes in a 42 which I worry will be too large. I also like the OVM, but have the same issue (I know Gnomon do a 39 limited edition but it's nearly £500). The other option is the Ocean One 39mm (black). Got a holiday in Feb and I don't own a diver at present, but will want to take one with me. It'll either be one of these three or maybe just re-buy an SKX007.

Anyway great watch, I don't have an issue with the whole homage thing - not everyone has the budget to buy a Rolex especially at current market prices. Steinhart give a lot of bang for the buck in terms of spec, plus everything I read on forums suggests they regulate their watches in house as owners always mention how accurate they are. Enjoy!

Master

Why do I like the Steinhart Pepsi 39mm so much? A mini-review.

I have the Steinhart 42mm GMT Pepsi which I very much like and was lucky enough to snag the stunning Squale on SC recenly.
    Whilst I really like the Steiny I have to say the Squale is in another league and the case shape fits my wrist much better.
    I haven't tried the 39mm Steiny yet but they do look very nice and seem to get great reviews.

Banned
    Nothing wrong with the steiny ! I can afford the real thing but have a fascination with good quality homage Watches , I’m gonna have to get me a steinhart and the gmt Pepsi is the one

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Very nice watch. What is lug2lug on this one?

Excellent review with some good pros and cons.
    I don’t wear mine very often.
    And to be honest only bought it, for a holiday coming up next month, were having a second time zone would be useful.
    But I keep looking at the Explorer 2 (40mm model) and wondering whether I should................

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlito149 View Post
    Very nice watch. What is lug2lug on this one?
    It looks about 47mm according to my steel rule.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat7 View Post
    I have the Steinhart 42mm GMT Pepsi which I very much like and was lucky enough to snag the stunning Squale on SC recenly.
    Whilst I really like the Steiny I have to say the Squale is in another league and the case shape fits my wrist much better.
    I haven't tried the 39mm Steiny yet but they do look very nice and seem to get great reviews.
    Ah that was you, nice score and good to know. I'm not sure why they are a limited run each time as they seem to be so popular.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by charlies View Post
    Nothing wrong with the steiny ! I can afford the real thing but have a fascination with good quality homage Watches , I’m gonna have to get me a steinhart and the gmt Pepsi is the one

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    You'll really enjoy mate I'm sure. No time like the present

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post
    Excellent review with some good pros and cons.
    I don’t wear mine very often.
    And to be honest only bought it, for a holiday coming up next month, were having a second time zone would be useful.
    But I keep looking at the Explorer 2 (40mm model) and wondering whether I should................
    Cheers and the never ending WIS yearning....we all know it well.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    Looks good. I've been threatening to get a Steinhart for ages. Won't be til after new year now, but even then I still keeping changing my mind over which one!

I like the Ocean Vintage Red, but it only comes in a 42 which I worry will be too large. I also like the OVM, but have the same issue (I know Gnomon do a 39 limited edition but it's nearly £500). The other option is the Ocean One 39mm (black). Got a holiday in Feb and I don't own a diver at present, but will want to take one with me. It'll either be one of these three or maybe just re-buy an SKX007.

Anyway great watch, I don't have an issue with the whole homage thing - not everyone has the budget to buy a Rolex especially at current market prices. Steinhart give a lot of bang for the buck in terms of spec, plus everything I read on forums suggests they regulate their watches in house as owners always mention how accurate they are. Enjoy!
    Yes the Gnomon is probably the best bet second hand if you can find one or the good ole SKX. I couldn't wear those in the end because of the shape of the crown guard otherwise I would. I had the Pepsi with a jubilee. Great fun but just kept digging into my wrist.

Yes the Gnomon is probably the best bet second hand if you can find one or the good ole SKX. I couldn't wear those in the end because of the shape of the crown guard otherwise I would. I had the Pepsi with a jubilee. Great fun but just kept digging into my wrist.

Because the Gnomon OVMs all have limited edition numbers stamped on the case, and I guess because they're not readily available as a general rule, you don't tend to see them coming up at good value on the used market. Steinharts tend to hold their value regardless, but the Gnomon OVM seems to be a model that people look to sell for a profit.

I've had an SKX before, not sure now why I sold it really, always found it to be very comfy, lovely case shape and for crown at 4 I felt meant less risk of digging in!

Master
    My Steinhart Pepsi GMT (39) arrived today. Have sized the bracelet, and it certainly looks well made, and well finished. Ideal size for me.

What's the bezel action like on these Steinhart 39mm watches? Seen a couple of YouTube vids say it's not all that (although they were reviewing early releases so may have been improved by now).

Master
    What's the bezel action like on these Steinhart 39mm watches? Seen a couple of YouTube vids say it's not all that (although they were reviewing early releases so may have been improved by now).
    My bezel is very smooth and clicks very nicely, both in the dry and the wet. There will always be one or two cases perhaps that need looking at but it's not something I would say is a problem overall. My two 42mm were also fine and worked perfectly.

Master
    You can also now get a Steinhart Jubilee bracelet for the 39mm:

https://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/a...anstoesse.html
    Last edited by stix; 9th October 2018 at 14:31.

Craftsman
    You can also now get a Steinhart Jubilee bracelet for the 39mm:

https://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/a...anstoesse.html
    This is cool. Then you've a real homage to the new Rolex. I wonder what the quality of the bracelet is like. I think some people fitted other jubilee bracelets with a little end link fiddling.
    I also wonder if it would be possible to ditch (what I presume is an under bezel) leaf spring, drill the case, put a sleeve and spring loaded ball like on a Seiko 7002 or 6309 diver and make it a bi-directional bezel?

I particularly like the movement on this Steinhart. Reliable and serviceable.
    I've been toying with getting one of these GMTs, but also a Sinn 104 and a couple of vintage Seiko first automatic chronographs beckon ... and then there's the BB58. Anyone know next week's lottery numbers?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Very nice watch. Congrats

Sent from my SM-N950F using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    [QUOTE=jason.humphrey.180;4907485]This is cool. Then you've a real homage to the new Rolex. I wonder what the quality of the bracelet is like.

The quality of the Steinhart bracelet for the 39 is great, though it doesn't have polished centre links. I ordered one direct from them for my GMT and it fits and looks great.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jason.humphrey.180 View Post
    This is cool. Then you've a real homage to the new Rolex. I wonder what the quality of the bracelet is like. I think some people fitted other jubilee bracelets with a little end link fiddling.
    I also wonder if it would be possible to ditch (what I presume is an under bezel) leaf spring, drill the case, put a sleeve and spring loaded ball like on a Seiko 7002 or 6309 diver and make it a bi-directional bezel?

I particularly like the movement on this Steinhart. Reliable and serviceable.
    I've been toying with getting one of these GMTs, but also a Sinn 104 and a couple of vintage Seiko first automatic chronographs beckon ... and then there's the BB58. Anyone know next week's lottery numbers?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
    The quality and end links are good from other reviews I had read and it comes with screws, not pins.

Craftsman
    Great value ,not the real thing but will work as a daily watch while you sell the wife to find the Grail ,4_6 camels hopefully

Quote Originally Posted by rigster2 View Post

This was a limited edition Squale of 150 but some float around the sales forums and on eBay. I love mine so much highly recommend it to scratch your BLNR itch.

There was an initial version with an aluminum bezel then this 1 with ceramic.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I've been looking at the 39mm Stein too. I have an Ocean Vintage GMT but it wobbles some times on my wrist because of the straight lugs, have wondered if the 39's would fit a little better. Congrats and enjoy.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

OP does your Steinhart Pepsi GMT 39 have a ceramic or aluminium bezel insert?

I've been looking at various Steinharts, making all sorts f comparisons and still don't know which to go for. It'll be after Xmas before I get one too so no doubt I'll do a lot more dithering, but I've noticed that the markings on their ceramic bezels is quite faint/hard to read compared to the aluminium, but obviously the ceramic is more hard wearing.

Master
    OP does your Steinhart Pepsi GMT 39 have a ceramic or aluminium bezel insert?

I've been looking at various Steinharts, making all sorts f comparisons and still don't know which to go for. It'll be after Xmas before I get one too so no doubt I'll do a lot more dithering, but I've noticed that the markings on their ceramic bezels is quite faint/hard to read compared to the aluminium, but obviously the ceramic is more hard wearing.
    It's not ceramic, aluminium, and one of the gripes about the ceramic model is that the bezel is difficult to read.

It's not ceramic, aluminium, and one of the gripes about the ceramic model is that the bezel is difficult to read.
    Yeah, the Ocean One Black Ceramic in particular. Mind you my mate has a SeaMaster 2017 edition in black, and I felt the bezel on that was similarly faint.

At the moment I'm veering towards the Ocean One Vintage Red. If they made a 39mm I'd be 100% settled, it's the larger 42mm size that keeps me looking at 39mm options! So I look at the O1 39 Black and the faint bezel bothers me - but at 39mm they don't do an aluminium option! Seems with every option I look at there is one drawback that makes me consider something else!

Master
    Yeah, the Ocean One Black Ceramic in particular. Mind you my mate has a SeaMaster 2017 edition in black, and I felt the bezel on that was similarly faint.

At the moment I'm veering towards the Ocean One Vintage Red. If they made a 39mm I'd be 100% settled, it's the larger 42mm size that keeps me looking at 39mm options! So I look at the O1 39 Black and the faint bezel bothers me - but at 39mm they don't do an aluminium option! Seems with every option I look at there is one drawback that makes me consider something else!
    I would suggest then for the time being, there isn't a model for you. My other choice aside from the LE 39mm OVM would be the 39mm LV, green bezel diver. Some great reviews around on that one.

Journeyman
    Nice review. I had the 42mm and enjoyed it for some time. Eventually sold as I grew increasingly uncomfortable with such a close 'homage' though I don't have anything against them. I thought the lume was excellent and quality of the bracelet good. I like Steinhart, they make some really interesting pieces.

I have a 42mm version and the timekeeping is excellent, if I didn't know better I'd swear it was a top of the range ultra quartz..

Less than +2 seconds per month on the wrist.
    I'm just a very naughty boy.

Good deals with- VINSTINK, kevkojak, Optimum, Omegary, seikoking, acg, SPEEDY, kfman, Card Shark, wajhart, Jot, danboy, zenomega, gaz64, minke, Mal52, Alas, norfolkngood, Sparky, rdwiow, mrteatime, gravedodger, joeytheghost, lordoftheflies, Silver Hawk, Filterlab, brooksy, marmisto, Fray Bentos, Bootsy, Harvey69, Mantisgb, bristolboozer, Jedadiah, newtohorology, Zephod, jimm1, Draygo, Raptor.

I may have forgot one or two, apppologies.

I know its an odd suggestion but I have just taken delivery of a quartz Davosa vintage diver, it has a few drawbacks but if you can find one at the right price (mine was £115) it is a very decent watch, just been in contact with them and ordered the brand new jubilee bracelet for it too

I never thought I'd ever own one to be honest but now I have I am really liking it, great size, wears so well and cheap as chips

https://www.davosa.com/en/detail/ind.../sCategory/603

I had a Mk 1 or 2 42mm OVM nearly 5 years ago and really liked it, apart from the size. So I sold it. I just received the Gnomon 39mm OVM special edition and it is a great watch and size. Bezel action is smooth, great lime and a quality bracelet. Although I put it straight on a Zulu and have ordered one of Ericas originals for it.

Steinhart offer good vale for money.

Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    I know its an odd suggestion but I have just taken delivery of a quartz Davosa vintage diver, it has a few drawbacks but if you can find one at the right price (mine was £115) it is a very decent watch, just been in contact with them and ordered the brand new jubilee bracelet for it too

I never thought I'd ever own one to be honest but now I have I am really liking it, great size, wears so well and cheap as chips

https://www.davosa.com/en/detail/ind.../sCategory/603
    Interesting recommendation, cheers. To be honest I'm looking at Steinhart simply for the value proposition; sapphire crystal, 300m WR, Swiss automatic all for circa £350. Think if I got something like that Davosa I'd inevitably want a Steiny anyway so might as well cut to the chase! But cheers 👍

Quote Originally Posted by smalleyboy1 View Post
    I had a Mk 1 or 2 42mm OVM nearly 5 years ago and really liked it, apart from the size. So I sold it. I just received the Gnomon 39mm OVM special edition and it is a great watch and size. Bezel action is smooth, great lime and a quality bracelet. Although I put it straight on a Zulu and have ordered one of Ericas originals for it.

Did you have to pay any import fees getting the watch from Gnomon? Aren't they US based (their prices are in USD)?

Master
    Did you have to pay any import fees getting the watch from Gnomon? Aren't they US based (their prices are in USD)?
    I think they are based in Singapore and sell in USD. I was also surprised to learn that they are a bricks and mortar store and you can view these watches, which is rare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZM1l1Ba-V0

I've recently bought a 42mm OVM, which while certainly a large watch is more manageable and a better fit than the 42mm PO 8500 and a Squale GMT I had previously.

Having said that I, for some entirely illogical reason, feel that 39mm is a better size for such a close GMT hommage, and if I do go for another Steinhart, it'll be this one.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Watch was shipped from Singapore. I had to pay the courier DHL a fee of £26 (online payment option) which I assume was bit of import duty and then an admin fee for them. The customs declaration said the package contained a timing device with the value of $100.

I ordered the watch on a Saturday morning and it was delivered the following Wednesday. Fantastic service from Gnomon.

Watch was shipped from Singapore. I had to pay the courier DHL a fee of £26 (online payment option) which I assume was bit of import duty and then an admin fee for them. The customs declaration said the package contained a timing device with the value of $100.

I ordered the watch on a Saturday morning and it was delivered the following Wednesday. Fantastic service from Gnomon.
    Yeah, same set up as when ordering from Creation Watches. Cheers for that; better add £26 to the fund!

Master
    Update:

Now with the Jubilee

The bracelet is well made, has screws and very comfortable to wear and the service and delivery was super quick!

What is the finish on the jubilee please. All brushed or polished centre links?

Journeyman
    Steinhart are great value for money and offer a decent range as well: they do have a nice enough selection of (IMHO quite underrated and overlooked) original designs if homages aren't your thing (personally don't mind them but prefer original designs).

The first watch I bought myself, fresh out of uni and with an internship paycheck, was their first iteration of the "Ocean 2". That and a few hand-me-down manual winds got me into watches.

Still have the watch, on permanent loan to my to my dad.

As well as being great value, once in a while they throw out something a bit more interesting. Right now they have some pilot watches with Unitas movements they have added an indirect drive centre seconds to. This is not only very impressive from a technical standpoint, coming from a microbrand, but also very nice from a historical one: the historical "Flieger" watches were made before Zenith invented the direct drive seconds hands and all utilised modified pocket watch movements with the same modification.

Plus, at 750 euros (£660) they make what I think might just be the cheapest, Swiss Made regulator watches on the market. If they make one with a bronze case, I will probably be buying one of these in the not too distant future...

I get why some people might dislike the fact that they do sell quite a lot of homages, but I think that's something that comes with the territory of being a value orientated microbrand; since most of their customers are people who want an affordable but still aesthetically close alternative to more iconic watches, that's what they have to do to keep competitive. Its more impressive that they choose to keep pushing on the more original side of their designs instead of just being an homage brand like a lot of their direct competitors on the "value" side of watch microbrands.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by colin t View Post
    What is the finish on the jubilee please. All brushed or polished centre links?
    All brushed. Very nice.

Journeyman
    I own two Steinharts and recently sold one another one. I've the standard Ocean One in Black, currently on a Nato and an Ocean One Premium in blue on the standard oyster bracelet. Both at 42mm.

First thing I notice about them is the weight. You definitely know you're wearing a watch. The second thing which I noticed, but didn't notice until it was mentioned above is the wobble when on the wrist. I've a feeling that the 42mm with the wide lugs might be too big for my wirst.

I'll see if I can try on a 39mm and see if this fits me better. The 39mm is a peach though and very well priced for the quality you get!

Hi,

I bought a green one when they launch the 39 line, I asked them if they where going to launch something like this Pepsi and they didn’t comment about future releases.

This would have been my choice if I had waited :)

Cheers