closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why do I like the Steinhart Pepsi 39mm so much? A mini-review.

Hoping Steinhart bring out a black/blue or a black/red bezel version of this. Pretty sure they will, let’s face it they’re in the business of selling watches not denying people watches to raise brand prestige. They also have a good track record of listening to their punters.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    Hoping Steinhart bring out a black/blue or a black/red bezel version of this. Pretty sure they will, let’s face it they’re in the business of selling watches not denying people watches to raise brand prestige. They also have a good track record of listening to their punters.
    Someone speculated a possible LE black and blue from an Asian AD and I would imagine the Coke will be along soon if the sales of the Pepsi are anything to go by.
    Last edited by stix; 23rd October 2018 at 11:51.

Master
    Update: I have tried today to remove the cyclops using the various methods suggested and no luck. It will not give at all and so I can only assume the adhesive on the 39 is much stronger than on earlier models? I am not willing to risk any damage and so will have to live with it for now.

I'm also on the fence for removing the cyclops on my Ocean 39, but i'm a bit scared that it won't come off and I will damage something.
    Last edited by barbosas; 6th November 2018 at 14:54.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by barbosas View Post
    I'm also on the fence for removing the cyclops on my Ocean 39, but i'm a bit scared that it won't come off and I will damage something.
    I used quite a bit of heat with a micro burner, possibly too much, and there was no sign of the glue melting at all. I also used the soldering iron option and again, it didn't make any difference.

just wonder why they make the bracelet this way

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seikomatic View Post
    just wonder why they make the bracelet this way
    No idea and someone else mentioned it as well but I don't even notice it and I prefer the Jubilee.

Leaving for our hols in Australia tomorrow. So time has been set accordingly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post

Great stuff! Have a good trip!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post

Am I right in thinking that the GMT hand is set to UK time. Does that mean that when in Oz you can change the local time whilst leaving the GMT hand showing UK (GMT?) time?
    Love the idea of a GMT for holiodays, but confused re travellers/desk thing.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stix View Post
    Update: I have tried today to remove the cyclops using the various methods suggested and no luck. It will not give at all and so I can only assume the adhesive on the 39 is much stronger than on earlier models? I am not willing to risk any damage and so will have to live with it for now.
    Iv'e just had a look at the Gnomon website and noticed that, certainly for the 42mm Pepsi, they will supply sans cyclops. I don't know if they do the same for the 39mm, probably worth asking.
    I'm sorry that this sin't much use to you, but for future buyers it might be food for thought.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
    Iv'e just had a look at the Gnomon website and noticed that, certainly for the 42mm Pepsi, they will supply sans cyclops. I don't know if they do the same for the 39mm, probably worth asking.
    I'm sorry that this sin't much use to you, but for future buyers it might be food for thought.
    I didn't know that. Thanks for the info

I used quite a bit of heat with a micro burner, possibly too much, and there was no sign of the glue melting at all. I also used the soldering iron option and again, it didn't make any difference.
    Ouch, thank you for sharing.

I don't have a micro burner, was planning to use just the soldering iron but will focus my mind on something else and leave the cyclops alone.

Great stuff! Have a good trip!
    Thank you, hopefully swapping the wet weather here for the sun and blue skies.

Am I right in thinking that the GMT hand is set to UK time. Does that mean that when in Oz you can change the local time whilst leaving the GMT hand showing UK (GMT?) time?
    Love the idea of a GMT for holiodays, but confused re travellers/desk thing.
    Firstly, yes the GMT hand is set to the UK.
    Regarding your second point, unlike such manufacturers as Rolex & Omega who's timepieces, are described as "True GMT" meaning that once you have set the 2nd timezone, as part of the normal time setting. You can then move the local time hour hand, in increments.

With the Steinhart, you have to set the local time first and then the 2nd time zone afterwards.
    Which is great in our case, as I only have to set it the once. However if you are doing multiple trips, I can see the attraction of having one were the hour hand can be altered.

Master
    Regarding your second point, unlike such manufacturers as Rolex & Omega who's timepieces, are described as "True GMT" meaning that once you have set the 2nd timezone, as part of the normal time setting. You can then move the local time hour hand, in increments.

With the Steinhart, you have to set the local time first and then the 2nd time zone afterwards.
    Which is great in our case, as I only have to set it the once. However if you are doing multiple trips, I can see the attraction of having one were the hour hand can be altered.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that, it's a bit clearer now.
    I'm taking Mrs Beanie back to Oz in October for our 30th anniversary with a few days in Singapore and am tempted to have a look at the Gnomon shop on Raffles Boulevard. I have no doubt that we will have a quick one in the long bar, so not too far away (best visit Gnomon before Raffles though).

Master

Which is great in our case, as I only have to set it the once. However if you are doing multiple trips, I can see the attraction of having one were the hour hand can be altered.
    I'm taking Mrs Beanie back to Oz in October for our 30th anniversary with a few days in Singapore and am tempted to have a look at the Gnomon shop on Raffles Boulevard. I have no doubt that we will have a quick one in the long bar, so not too far away (best visit Gnomon before Raffles though).[/QUOTE]

Just my opinion but you might want to reconsider that. Etiquette in The Long Bar in Raffles differs somewhat from that of Epping Forest on a Friday night. Singaporeans are nice people but also quite conservative.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ColDaspin View Post
    I'm taking Mrs Beanie back to Oz in October for our 30th anniversary with a few days in Singapore and am tempted to have a look at the Gnomon shop on Raffles Boulevard. I have no doubt that we will have a quick one in the long bar, so not too far away (best visit Gnomon before Raffles though).
    Just my opinion but you might want to reconsider that. Etiquette in The Long Bar in Raffles differs somewhat from that of Epping Forest on a Friday night. Singaporeans are nice people but also quite conservative.[/QUOTE]

lol, my fault, should have included a translation. Northern folk speak; going for a "quick one" in a pub/bar, also a "swift one" means only one, maybe two drinks as opposed to a "session" (lots of drinks). That being said, when we were there last year a "quick one" turned into a "session".

Journeyman
    got my 39 pepsi on the way, too bad not on a jubilee yet.

actually, if anyone is selling a jubilee bracelet, get in touch!

Quote Originally Posted by ponch10 View Post
    got my 39 pepsi on the way, too bad not on a jubilee yet.

actually, if anyone is selling a jubilee bracelet, get in touch!
    You could always order one from Steinhart.

https://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/a...anstoesse.html

Journeyman
    Yes, but 95 euros is a bit rich for the piece, I think.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

Yes, but 95 euros is a bit rich for the piece, I think.

So you want a mug on here to take the hit, so that you can grab a bargain.

These have only been available on the site for a few weeks, so your chances of finding a second hand are close to nil.

Journeyman
    I have seen already jubilees going on watchrecon for half price. People try things and then decide they don't like them, without necessarily being "mugs". And the jubilee can be a bit of an acquired taste.

I have seen already jubilees going on watchrecon for half price. People try things and then decide they don't like them, without necessarily being "mugs". And the jubilee can be a bit of an acquired taste.

I think you should buy one of these half price ones. One has just been listed in sales corner at £85.

am i having deja vu a member on rlt has just written the same thing! Nice watch.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I think you should buy one of these half price ones. One has just been listed in sales corner at £85.
    Unfortunately I can't access the sales corner yet. Would you mind sending me the nickname of the seller?

Unfortunately I can't access the sales corner yet. Would you mind sending me the nickname of the seller?

That would be naughty

The seller will read this thread and it's their call if they follow this up.

In all honesty, if you are prepared to pay £85 then you might as well buy direct off Steinhart at €95 - not that much in it really.

Journeyman
    That would be naughty

The seller will read this thread and it's their call if they follow this up.

In all honesty, if you are prepared to pay £85 then you might as well buy direct off Steinhart at €95 - not that much in it really.
    Well, if I could talk directly with the seller he can find out how much I am willing to spend!

Nice Steinhart!

Homages are nice. I like the cheapest ones though.

Master
    Again, not much use to you, but maybe for anyone thinking about one. Or if anyone wants one on the oyster they might do you a favour;

http://www.gnomonwatches.com/watches...bilee-bracelet

Master
    Update:

I decided to sell the Pepsi, not because I disliked it but, because I wanted to pay for a service for a very nice Rolex Air King Date that I recently purchased. I thoroughly enjoyed the watch on the Jubilee but there were a couple of things that just didn't work. These are:

• Bezel was and is stiff to turn and although I managed to fix the issue it is an annoying design of this 39mm model. I also used it extensively in the water which helped to keep the bezel nice and smooth but, if you left it for too long then it was a problem.
    • The cyclops is pointless, as mentioned, but even worse, it's very, very difficult to remove and needs a lot of persuasion. You can't simply heat it up and remove it with a sharp knife anymore.

The rest though is as per my initial review and I would still recommend one however, the new Squale Pepsi with the ceramic bezel might just be a better option for a little more.

http://www.gnomonwatches.com/squale-...-ceramica-40mm

New release today:

https://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/o...d-keramik.html

Tribute to the late 50s early 60s Rolex GMT that had a Bakelite insert and no crown guards.

Very nice indeed, but not for me being a 39mm unfortunately.
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 19th July 2019 at 10:21.

Craftsman
    New release today:

Tribute to the late 50s early 60s Rolex GMT that had a Bakelite insert and no crown guards.

Like that and I like the 39mm size. For me personally I would have preferred if it wasn't premium range and was a bit cheaper.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Reiver View Post
    Like that and I like the 39mm size. For me personally I would have preferred if it wasn't premium range and was a bit cheaper.
    Yes, agreed. I'd have bought one straight away at the price of the normal ones.

Craftsman
    Glasgow, The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
    Blog Entries
    New release today:

Nice. A normal size and no horrendous Cyclops to annoy me. I like it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post
    Yes, agreed. I'd have bought one straight away at the price of the normal ones.
    I assume your paying the additional cost for a better movement. For me personally the standard movement is fine, its the look of the watch that I'd be interested in.

I feel like the price is beyond what I'd personally pay for a Steinhart but that's just me.

Master
    New release today:

It's not bad but it doesn't do anything for me at the mo but it might grow over time. Cheers.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by luddite View Post
    I have a 42mm version and the timekeeping is excellent ... Less than +2 seconds per month on the wrist.
    Me too. I have a Steinhart Marine watch with similarly outstanding accuracy.

Steinhart deserves a lot of praise for the quality of its watches.

Master
    Oh my, that vintage GMT is great!

Master
    Love my 39mm Steiny GMT. Very comfortable, accurate and often receives positive comments.

Naturally would love to own the Rolex original but that boat has long since sailed

Journeyman
    New release today:

looks quite nice, but i prefer the original version as it seems to be more aesthetically pleasing

I like the look of that, the lack of crowd guards appeals.

Pricey though...

I'm not convinced the 39 "logo" is in keeping with the vintage vibe.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    I'm not convinced the 39 "logo" is in keeping with the vintage vibe.
    True, it's not a deal breaker but I'd prefer without.

Master
    The new 39 Vintage has certainly grown on me and overall it works however, I would be concerned about the bezel action and would be interested to hear what it's like when a few have been sold. I'm a sucker for a GMT that's for sure!

The logo on the new vintage is truly awful. Whatever were they thinking?

Master
    It’s still better than the latest Christopher Ward logo.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    It’s still better than the latest Christopher Ward logo.
    Not much could be worse.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

New release today:

I've had a close look at this, especially as it's being rammed out hard on all of the Steinhart Instagram channels, and I find the sickly, green/yellow, faux aged lume a real off-putter on what would otherwise be an interesting watch.