closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New Member after advice please

Apprentice

New Member after advice please

Hello one and all. This is my first post as I have only just joined the group last night. A little bit of background before I get to my question.... I've been collecting watches for over 20 years. Don't really know why or how it started but when I could afford my first £100 watch it all started from there. For most of the 20 years its been 'fashion' watches but last year I thought I'd treat myself to what I think some describe as the lower end of luxury watches, a TAG HEUER. Finally I thought this is it I've gotten what I've always wanted....!!!!

Not quite. Now I find myself STILL looking at the watches in the window when I go shopping but the 'fashion' watches no longer get a glance. I would like to make one last purchase (thats what I'm telling myself anyway). I want to purchase a watch from the higher end luxury, but not silly high. I want to get a watch that will hold its value, possibly increase over time. One that I can pass on to my son later in life (which he'll probably sell for £200 to buy the new XBOX) but still that's what I'm after. Basically like an investment. I fancy a Rolex but am a complete novice when its comes to the more expensive watches. I was thinking of saving up between £3000-£6000 so wanted to get an idea from the many watch lovers out there what would be best brand in that price bracket taking into account what I am after

Thanks in advance for your responses and any help given

Welcome.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

If you want a sports Rolex get on a list and start saving. You should have plenty time to save up .

And welcome

Craftsman
    Welcome to the forum.

Rolex is probably the right direction if you want a watch that will hold in value...

I'm sure like with most things, by the time that you pass on the watch, an Xbox or an IPhone could be a similar value region :D

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Master
    Welcome to the site. If you’re thinking Rolex and one that will maintain its value and possible more, something like a non date sub at the top of your price range maybe. You’ve just lost your Rolex AD but there are ones in Exeter and Plymouth. I’d advise next time you’re passing to go in, sure your keenness and hope in time to get one. They don’t technically do lists so making yourself known may be the best bet.

P.S. that would also be a great watch to pass to your son.

Owl1

Master
    Welcome to the Forum.

scooter

Master
    Welcome, and good luck with your "one last purchase" initiative. I genuinely believed my own Rolex GMT would cure me of buying watches back in 1986, but I must have bought at least 50 of them since then. There's always an excuse.

Craftsman
    What kind of whatch are you looking for?
    Dress or sports?

A Datejust 41 falls into your price range.

Craftsman
    I'm no authority on Rolex but when you say value retention is a priority i guess it can't be much else for that price range. For £6K you may just about bag a Rolex GMT Master II 116710LN (all black ceramic) if you're lucky, and i would have thought it would hold it's value over time. May have to go pre-owned but saying that it doesn't seem to make much difference these days with Rolex, just a case of do you you want to wait or join a queue?

That said i read recently that the Rolex Oyster Perpetual 39mm is pretty much available in most AD's at list these days (still not completely convinced but if so it's probably a good proposition).

I'm drawn more to Omega myself but value retention is not their strong point unfortunately so if you do buy one go pre-owned.

There's absolutely loads out there for your price band though so take your time and don't rush into it. Also make sure you try it one and are happy with it before you buy.

Hope you find the watch you're after!
    Last edited by WillHarris2306; 4th October 2018 at 17:27.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Van Diemen View Post
    What kind of whatch are you looking for?
    Dress or sports?

A Datejust 41 falls into your price range.
    I'd say more dress watch. Again I'm not an expert but believe if I did want to sell an expensive watch in the future it would appeal to more people. I feel a good proportion would want it as a 'for best occasions watch' and a sports watch might limit interest. I do like my metal strap large face watches but when I'm looking to spend that much money I've got to like it as well

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Litcan91 View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

Rolex is probably the right direction if you want a watch that will hold in value...

I'm sure like with most things, by the time that you pass on the watch, an Xbox or an IPhone could be a similar value region :D

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    Haha

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    Welcome, and good luck with your "one last purchase" initiative. I genuinely believed my own Rolex GMT would cure me of buying watches back in 1986, but I must have bought at least 50 of them since then. There's always an excuse.
    Very very true, and each time for me they seem to be progressively more expensive

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by FlackTron View Post
    I'd say more dress watch. Again I'm not an expert but believe if I did want to sell an expensive watch in the future it would appeal to more people. I feel a good proportion would want it as a 'for best occasions watch' and a sports watch might limit interest. I do like my metal strap large face watches but when I'm looking to spend that much money I've got to like it as well
    At the moment a stainless steel sports Rolex would certainly be more desirable if you were to sell on. Get what you really like and you will get more enjoyment, if it holds or increases in value win win.

Good luck in the search

Craftsman
    Hello and welcome. Buy what you like. Who knows what the future value of watches will be.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Master
    I would say take your time and do your research. Also try on as many as you can, and as many types as you can. Some of the threads on here may give you the inspiration you need!

Oh, and good luck in keeping to one purchase!

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Chilli View Post
    I would say take your time and do your research. Also try on as many as you can, and as many types as you can. Some of the threads on here may give you the inspiration you need!

Great advice.

OP - Just get stuck in to the online watch community. You'll soon start seeing watches you like and while you continue to save you may find a pattern emerging. Once you find something of interest try and see it in the flesh as watches can look very different on the wrist and some may not suit your size or style. Visit some dealers and watch fares. As everyone has said, Rolex Sports models (GMT, Submariner) are the safe bet as far as depreciation is concerned but forget the idea of watches as investments. Some models have indeed appreciated in value but this may not always be the case in future. I'd say buy what you like but try to do your research (unless, unlike me, you have screaming wealth). What I thought I wanted ended up being entirely not what I wanted. Maybe that's the fun of it all. Take your time and get saving. And welcome :-)

"One that I can pass on to my son later in life (which he'll probably sell for £200 to buy the new XBOX) but still that's what I'm after. Basically like an investment. I fancy a Rolex"

If you fancy a Rolex, get a Rolex. It is currently a good investment in that if you change your mind you will most likely get your money back. Long term who knows - they are mass produced in large numbers so as a long term investment i would visit an IFA or start a pension for him.

Apprentice
    Thank you all for your advice. I'll start reading some threads on this site/forum. Where in the south west of the UK would be the best /towncity to browse watches 'in person' so I can get a first hand view and feel?

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    "One that I can pass on to my son later in life (which he'll probably sell for £200 to buy the new XBOX) but still that's what I'm after. Basically like an investment. I fancy a Rolex"

If you fancy a Rolex, get a Rolex. It is currently a good investment in that if you change your mind you will most likely get your money back. Long term who knows - they are mass produced in large numbers so as a long term investment i would visit an IFA or start a pension for him.
    Investment was probably a poor choice of words. I'd just like to buy a watch that will hold its value. I'm so used to fashion watches that I buy for say £500 and when I come to sell them on, even though I know I've looked after them you struggle to get £200 for it.

I think like most people on this site we'll never stop wanting another watch, so if I say spend £6000 then in 6-7 years time fancy a £9000 watch I know I've got around £6000 I could put toward it by selling my current watch. Thats the plan anyway :-) Then one day I can pass it down the family line when I'm ready to do so

Thank you all for your advice. I'll start reading some threads on this site/forum. Where in the south west of the UK would be the best /towncity to browse watches 'in person' so I can get a first hand view and feel?
    Might be worth hoping onto a train into Waterloo and visiting Burlington arcade &a Hatton Garden?
    I belive watchfinder have an office in Burlington Arcade. Either way you'll see loads of incredible watches 👍

Investment was probably a poor choice of words. I'd just like to buy a watch that will hold its value. I'm so used to fashion watches that I buy for say £500 and when I come to sell them on, even though I know I've looked after them you struggle to get £200 for it.

I think like most people on this site we'll never stop wanting another watch, so if I say spend £6000 then in 6-7 years time fancy a £9000 watch I know I've got around £6000 I could put toward it by selling my current watch. Thats the plan anyway :-) Then one day I can pass it down the family line when I'm ready to do so
    I think its fair to assume that most of the Rolex models will retain there value over a 6-7 year period and may even slightly increase in value, this has been my experience anyway.

As many members have already provided you with some excellent advice.
    I shall just say welcome, to a fellow Devon member.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Chilli View Post

Yes, after a few months on here you will have a long list of watches that have caught your eye for your sort of money. I would also echo the point of buy what you like not what you think will hold the most value.

I would vote for an OP 39 with a rhodium dial. Pic "borrowed" from time and tide.

Master
    Personally, I'd grab an SD 16600. Under-rated, I reckon, and a bit of a bargain compared to contemporary Subs. That's just me, though.

Quote Originally Posted by WhopperSenior View Post
    I would vote for an OP 39 with a rhodium dial. Pic "borrowed" from time and tide.

I would agree, the OP39 is underrated and a very versatile watch for everyday wear.

I can honestly say I prefer it to all the other models I have owned, Sub, GMT, Explorer to name a few.

Less is more sometimes.
    Last edited by boring_sandwich; 5th October 2018 at 09:19.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by WhopperSenior View Post

This is definitely the style I would normally go for. When I tried on different TAG watches it was the Carrera calibre 5 that I ended up being draw to. I've got plenty of time to make my mind up but currently I'm in the mind set of going in a different direction than my usual choice. Before looking at the different styles that Rolex currently do I always thought SUB, datejust and day-date when I imagine a Rolex. The SUB is winning in my mind at the minute BUT I reckon it'll all change when I eventually try some on

Quote Originally Posted by apm101 View Post
    Personally, I'd grab an SD 16600. Under-rated, I reckon, and a bit of a bargain compared to contemporary Subs. That's just me, though.

Agree 16600 def worth considering .... welcome to forum and good luck solving your conundrum, lots of useful advice here and certainly touch/feel first, a sensible route.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by rjwanderer22 View Post
    Agree 16600 def worth considering .... welcome to forum and good luck solving your conundrum, lots of useful advice here and certainly touch/feel first, a sensible route.
    Agree, on the 16600 for the budget. If you can stretch to a bit more, then 16710 would give you different interchangeable bezel options to change the look too.

Welcome

Like you I'm quite new here, ask questions and you can be sure of interested, well-meaning advice from a crowd who have a wealth of knowledge.
    I'm looking for an everyday wearer and must admit there is much pleasure in the pursuit of the watch that is right for me. Once you settle on the ref you want do your homework, particularily if buying second hand. Know the date range of manufacture, serial number range, the bracelet ref. number, clasp code range and number of removeable links you should get in the bracelet. Look at photos of dials and understand the variations you may see (this forum has many posts on this issue). Happy hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by mangoosian View Post
    Agree, on the 16600 for the budget. If you can stretch to a bit more, then 16710 would give you different interchangeable bezel options to change the look too.
    Ah the 16710 bezel changes are a great feature 👍

As you are leaning towards dress rather than sport models. Grand Seiko would fit the bill!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

What about Tudor black bay?