closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New member!

Journeyman

New member!

Hi all, I've just joined as I've just started to get into watches and have an eye on the omega seamaster 300M chronometer. Currently own a longines hydroconquest, which is another diver but it's started to lose time and I'd rather put the money that I'd spend on servicing on another watch!

What are people's thoughts on this particular watch. Is it worth going second hand e.g. couple of years old?

I'd suggest that if you are unwilling or unable to service a relatively basic Longines then an Omega a couple of years old wouldn't be a shrewd purchase.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    I'd suggest that if you are unwilling or unable to service a relatively basic Longines then an Omega a couple of years old wouldn't be a shrewd purchase.
    Agreed. It's like buying a Ferrari and planning on running it on Ling Long ditchfinder tyres.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by mjgerrard View Post
    Agreed. It's like buying a Ferrari and planning on running it on Ling Long ditchfinder tyres.

How did you know what car I drove and the tyres I've got on it?
    Joking aside, it's not that I can't get the longines serviced, I am after a new watch and would rather put money into a new purchase. I will eventually service the longines and possibly sell it as I won't really wear it after I get a new watch.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Welcome,
    The Omega is a fine watch and buying second hand will obviously be a cheaper route. I'd also keep an eye out for the sales over the Christmas period, jewellers have frequent sales on so could make a new one a better option.

Journeyman
    Thanks Dave, I do wonder whether the price of the seamaster will decrease with the introduction of the newer model with the see through case back and different movement.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironmonk3y View Post
    How did you know what car I drove and the tyres I've got on it?
    Joking aside, it's not that I can't get the longines serviced, I am after a new watch and would rather put money into a new purchase. I will eventually service the longines and possibly sell it as I won't really wear it after I get a new watch.
    Hehe, jolly good.

Well from me you'll get always a big thumbs up on the Seamaster. If you buy correctly then chances are you'll hang on to most of that value - but as always with these things the more nostalgic choices such as the 2254.50 are the better value props that will hold value a little better than their newer siblings, if you don't mind not having the latest technology in your wristwatch. I really do have a hankering for the vintage looking Seamaster 300 on a bracelet and I think in the long run it will stand up quite well.

Craftsman
    Hello and welcome. Do you prefer the old Seamaster or the new one?? Buy the one you prefer.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    You have great taste mate, the SMPc is a fine choice. I would say keep the Longines if you can afford to and get it serviced when you get the chance as it deserves it and it's a lovely watch, albeit nowhere near the Omega in terms of prestige and quality.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by WillHarris2306; 17th October 2018 at 17:49.

Craftsman
    P.s your Longines will likely have an ETA 2893, a pretty well known movement which could be serviced by most competent independent watchmakers.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Thanks all for the thoughts. I think I'm veering towards the last model with the 2500 movement. Although I haven't tried the latest one and not sure if it's worth the extra money for the upgraded parts. There may be other members who have tried or bought both though!

Hello and welcome :) good luck with your hunt and keep us posted!

Owl1

Craftsman
    Thanks all for the thoughts. I think I'm veering towards the last model with the 2500 movement. Although I haven't tried the latest one and not sure if it's worth the extra money for the upgraded parts. There may be other members who have tried or bought both though!
    I don't think you can really go wrong with any of the SM300's to be honest mate, all pretty bulletproof.

I have a SM300 2254 which has the older 1120 pre-coaxial movement and sword hands, and is a firm favourite with collectors. The 2500 movement ceramic with skeleton hands sold in vast numbers so you should be able to pick up a mint example with box and papers for a decent price. The latest one though has the METAS approved Master Coaxial 8800 movement which is pretty advanced and has all the latest tech although has quite a thick case and is a 42mm (as opposed to 41mm with the older versions).

Go and try some on or perhaps drop into a Watchfinder branch if you can (there's one in the Bullring in Birmingham which should be local-ish to you) as they'll probably stock all the models mentioned above.

Let us know how you get on!
    Last edited by WillHarris2306; 5th October 2018 at 07:14.

Journeyman
    Thanks, the 2254 looks like a great model. The sword hands look better than the skeleton ones too in my opinion!
    Will do as you suggest and try the watches on when I get the chance.

I love my 2254, classy, comfortable, perfect proportions, very well made including the bracelet/clasp, great watch that in my eyes should make a return to the Omega lineup.

My 2254 is the auto which is super accurate but if I get the chance to pick up a quartz which are generally cheaper then it is the perfect pick up and go watch.

The SMP300 would be a great choice, and such good value. It is so versatile, stylish, robust and super comfortable to wear. I have one of the later non wave dial ceramic ones, with the 2500D coaxial movement and the timekeeping is spot on. I love the lines of the case and the superb engraving on the solid caseback. I wasn't sure about skeleton hands at first but they are perfectly legible in everyday life and different - although sword hands look great too and would be better for actual diving. You can't go wrong with any model really.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Very nice timepieces gents! I'm liking the nato strap combo too! Does anyone put leather on their diver or is it an unwritten rule that you shouldn't?

Master
    People do...but it doesn't really fit the aesthetic if you are kind of imagining that yes, it might get submerged occasionally. Seen some on leather that look great though.

Craftsman
    I think there's some kind of invisible line that says once a diver has been "put out to pasture" and it's no longer trusted to be water resistant then it's all good on leather. A new submariner? No way.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    I love my 2254, classy, comfortable, perfect proportions, very well made including the bracelet/clasp, great watch that in my eyes should make a return to the Omega lineup.

My 2254 is the auto which is super accurate but if I get the chance to pick up a quartz which are generally cheaper then it is the perfect pick up and go watch.

Mine has been the longest standing member of my collection and it's not going anywhere.

Such a great watch and even better with the slide adjustable clasp modification. Hard to believe these were only £1390 when new (that ship has sailed though as you'll pay upwards of £1800 now for the auto, more for a really nice one with B&P).

Only thing to be aware of is if you scratch the bezel your in for the whole part as I don't believe you can get the inserts separately.

This is a good review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-39Dw8iwhtU

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by WillHarris2306; 7th October 2018 at 18:22.

Master
    Welcome to the forum.

Journeyman
    Hi guys, finally bit the bullet and decided to buy the SMP with the 2500 movement (ceramic bezel). I wasn't convinced by the latest model in the flesh or the associated higher price tag! Thanks everyone for their advice!

Journeyman
    Hi guys, finally bit the bullet and decided to buy the SMP with the 2500 movement (ceramic bezel). I wasn't convinced by the latest model in the flesh or the associated higher price tag! Thanks everyone for their advice!
    Congratulations! Have you got any photos?

Craftsman
    You chose wisely my friend.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Congrats, you cant go wrong with one of those

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikelancs View Post
    Congratulations! Have you got any photos?
    Here it is!
    Last edited by Ironmonk3y; 15th October 2018 at 14:51.

Here it is!
    Excellent, enjoy your new watch

Craftsman
    Here it is!
    Lovely mate, and it will last you a lifetime!

Journeyman
    Thanks, I just hope I don't get bored of it and flip it for another!

Journeyman
    Here it is!
    Congratulations!

Craftsman
    Congrats, lovely!

Craftsman
    Thanks, I just hope I don't get bored of it and flip it for another!
    Therein lies the rub! It's an addictive hobby trust me!

That said of all the great watches you could possibly have bought whilst getting into this hobby, this is the one. Superb (and in blue, as black is always the safe choice - i kind of always regret not buying the blue one).

There are lots of higher (and i mean much higher) quality brands but a SMPc is the staple mate of any collection, and even if you're not a collector and have just one watch this a fine choice.

Congratulations and enjoy it!
    Last edited by WillHarris2306; 17th October 2018 at 18:03.

Craftsman
    Thanks Dave, I do wonder whether the price of the seamaster will decrease with the introduction of the newer model with the see through case back and different movement.
    It won't.
    Last edited by WillHarris2306; 17th October 2018 at 18:02.

Craftsman
    Great choice. I tried on the new one on Monday. I prefer the older model.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by WillHarris2306 View Post
    Therein lies the rub! It's an addictive hobby trust me!

That said of all the great watches you could possibly have bought whilst getting into this hobby, this is the one. Superb (and in blue, as black is always the safe choice - i kind of always regret not buying the blue one).

There are lots of higher (and i mean much higher) quality brands but a SMPc is the staple mate of any collection, and even if you're not a collector and have just one watch this a fine choice.

Congratulations and enjoy it!
    Thanks, so glad I've bought it! No regrets so far!