closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Home insurance renewal & watches

Craftsman

Home insurance renewal & watches

I that time of year to renew my home insurance.

Does anybody have any recommendations? I have a small collection (a couple of Rolexs, and 3 omegas) that I would want to be covered.

I'm going to try John Lewis & Marks and Spencer but any other suggestions would be Great

Thanks in advance

Paul

Master
    Use LV and don't increase your premium on renewal by 50% which most others do after first year.

Lots of threads on this subject

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    Use LV and don't increase your premium on renewal by 50% which most others do after first year.
    That's exactly what my current provider has done :-(

Craftsman
    I renewed with Aviva in August. I tried all the usual suspects but found their terms to be restrictive, or the cost was much more. I nearly went with M&S until I realised the watches were only covered within the home, otherwise the cost doubled. Aviva want to know model and serial numbers above a value of 2.5k but they're covered worldwide.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcg View Post
    I renewed with Aviva in August. I tried all the usual suspects but found their terms to be restrictive, or the cost was much more. I nearly went with M&S until I realised the watches were only covered within the home, otherwise the cost doubled. Aviva want to know model and serial numbers above a value of 2.5k but they're covered worldwide.
    thanks - Axa are the current favourite but I'll try Aviva.

t

Craftsman
    I use more than and have found them pretty decent, no nasty premium jumps upon renewal. They cover theft and damage both in and outside the home as well as 60 days abroad per annu which is pretty handy. For any item over £3k you need to provide a valuation or purchase invoice.

Master
    Try A-Plan insurance: Bricks and Mortar company, loads of offices around the UK and very helpful

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcg View Post
    I am with Aviva and they have never asked for serial numbers. Everything listed with retail price as replacement value. On older models I have given a market value.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Just be careful as Axa have a £30k valuables limit, and it can’t be upgraded.

Quote Originally Posted by P4u1 View Post
    I that time of year to renew my home insurance.

Does anybody have any recommendations? I have a small collection (a couple of Rolexs, and 3 omegas) that I would want to be covered.

I'm going to try John Lewis & Marks and Spencer but any other suggestions would be Great

Thanks in advance

Paul
    Very much depends on the total content value. My insurance asked for scan of Guarantee card, went to scan it and long story short, AD had held it back without telling me. After a lot of hassle they accepted AD's letters telling me they will not release the card ! So watch out for the terms ! No pun intended as well as other things.

Master
    I've just gone with M&S. Great level of coverage in and out of the home. Only need proof of value/purchase if you make a claim.

Another with M&S - customer service is decent enough that even though they put the price up a fair bit when I moved (in my view to a better area...) I stayed with them.

As best I can see, the cover is of the ‘no quibbles’ variety which is worth it for peace of mind. At renewal time I certainly couldn’t find anything comparable via mainstream providers - once you start adding on high value items their quotes rocket...

Craftsman
    For my renewal it it lools like Axa is about half the price of John Lewis.

Master
    It’s renewal time for me as well. I’ve been with esure for a few years and its looking very likely I’m going to be renewing with them again. Their renewal premium is at least 30% lower than all the others I tried. Receipt/valuation only needed in the event of a claim. I have used them for a small buildings claim in the past and had no issues. Found them very easy to deal with. The downsides is that any single item above £1500 needs to be specified, which some of our watches are. This means any significant watch purchase needs to be added and incurs an admin fee (+ extra premium of course). Still, the difference in theirs and closest other insurer’s quote is far more than it could cost me in admin fees during a year.

I tried M&S Premium as their single item limit is well above the watch bracket I operate in and can address the above pain. Their online tool refused to quote me because I have trees taller than 2m within 25m of my property. I will give them a call once I have confirmed values of certain watches that are going up in price tomorrow.

Tried Hiscox also. Far superior cover than anyone else I checked but at 6 times esure’s premium, I’ll pass.

Master
    Been with JL for the past 5years but new premium is showing a 30% increase so Aviva is looking likely with their unlimited cover.

Quote Originally Posted by FK77 View Post
    It’s renewal time for me as well. I’ve been with esure for a few years and its looking very likely I’m going to be renewing with them again. Their renewal premium is at least 30% lower than all the others I tried. Receipt/valuation only needed in the event of a claim. I have used them for a small buildings claim in the past and had no issues. Found them very easy to deal with. The downsides is that any single item above £1500 needs to be specified, which some of our watches are. This means any significant watch purchase needs to be added and incurs an admin fee (+ extra premium of course). Still, the difference in theirs and closest other insurer’s quote is far more than it could cost me in admin fees during a year.

I tried M&S Premium as their single item limit is well above the watch bracket I operate in and can address the above pain. Their online tool refused to quote me because I have trees taller than 2m within 25m of my property. I will give them a call once I have confirmed values of certain watches that are going up in price tomorrow.

Tried Hiscox also. Far superior cover than anyone else I checked but at 6 times esure’s premium, I’ll pass.
    2m? Christ that’s not much of a tree and within 25 metres? That’s a bit prohibitive.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    2m? Christ that’s not much of a tree and within 25 metres? That’s a bit prohibitive.
    I know! I read the website question many times in case I was mistaken and it was the other way round, but nope, that’s what it says.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    Been with JL for the past 5years but new premium is showing a 30% increase so Aviva is looking likely with their unlimited cover.
    I'd also give Axa a try.
    Last edited by P4u1; 30th September 2018 at 19:40. Reason: Spelling

NFU for me

NFU here as well.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Craftsman
    I had a quote from NFU last month and they were £500 more than my Aviva renewal. I have my car insurance with them and I highly rate them, but that was quite a difference.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Would use a comparison site every time, don't necessarily pick the cheapest but do tend to swap most years. Ended up with the AA this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshiremadmick View Post
    Lots of threads on this subject
    Indeed.

I was with Hiscox for years, but recently moved to NFU Mutual
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

I was with Hiscox for years but when we moved to our current house five years ago, Hiscox would not insure us as we have a stream running though the garden.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Another vote for M&S, all backed by Aviva anyway, good cover at a decent price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M&S for me as well

Craftsman
    M&S premier offered good cover for a good price

NFU for me too...contents, buildings, cars and motorhome, sensible people to talk to and understand any special needs you might have. No silly annual price increase's and I have a comforting blanket of security in knowing/being confident that if the worst happened I'm going to be looked after properly.

By the time I added up what I was paying all my different insurers, I'm much better off rolling everything under their roof.

David

Master
    I insure my watches through my normal household insurance and I last renewed in June. I had to put various values on different watches which the insurer accepted.

The Broker has just passed an email onto me where the insurer is now disputing the value of the Rolex 16520 (Zenith Daytona). I had it down for £15k and now the insurer is insuring it on the basis of negotiation until I have it officially valued by either Rolex or a Rolex AD. In years gone by, they never required a formal valuation and they would check shop prices as a basis for settlement.

I suggested that ebay adverts minus 10% could be a fair price which to my surprise put it around £25k. So until I return home to the UK and get a valuation, the watch has no value at all other than what I could negotiate.

I am begining to wonder if I should self insure.

Craftsman
    I ended up with AXA - they ended up offer my the best price/coverage for me.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    Just be careful as Axa have a £30k valuables limit, and it can’t be upgraded.
    I just renewed with Aviva - the £30k limit is for unspecified valuables, any single item over £2k must be specified separately and your premium will reflect the total. I added 10k worth of valuables to the policy for this year, which increased the price by roughly £70.

Master
    I renewed with a broker called Highworth Insurance. The policy is underwritten by a consortium of underwriters. Generous limits, no silly endorsements/requirements, dedicated account manager (whatever that means) but about 2.5 times my renewal premium.

Craftsman
    Just halved my premium by using Santander customer services. £2500 per item unlisted item max, and worldwide and house for watches/ jewellery with no storage conditions on higher value named items.