closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Explorer ii black dial or GMT Master ii LN

Journeyman

Explorer ii black dial or GMT Master ii LN

I'm thinking of selling my SMP 300m blue dial for a GMT watch. I tried both the GMT Master ii LN and the Explorer ii 216570 black at Watchfinder, both fitted me well. I like the Explorer ii as it's not so flashy, perfect for everyday wear, but unlike the BLNR, the LN is not so much more expensive than the Explorer ii. So my question is should I sell my seamaster for a GMT and which GMT to get?

Would love to hear what you guys think.

Craftsman
    Are you doing it to get a get function watch or because you want a Rolex? The SMP 300 is a great watch and superb background for buck. If you are dead set on moving it out though, I would go for the GMT Master

Journeyman
    I just want a GMT to complement my current collection, I have an OP39mm so it's not really for getting a rolex.

What about a GMT SMP then?

Master
    I have owned both and both are excellent choices. The EXP2 is a little more discreet and, in my opinion, the most comfortable to wear. The GMT2C is a little more flashy and recognisable as a Rolex, but for me, it’s a a Sub with that little bit extra. I prefer the plain black to the BLNR too.

The LN gets my vote with its rotating bezel and smaller diameter. It's my favourite GMT master ii iteration.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Explorer ii black dial or GMT Master ii LN

I’ve owned a BLNR and two exp11 black faces. I never really gelled with the BLNR tbh. Of all the modern Rolex’s I’ve owned the 42mm exp has been the one I regret selling the most which is why I’ve just bought another one. For me an interesting watch and the perfect size. If it had a glidelock clasp and a triple lock crown ( I’m aware that’s due to it depth rating) it would have everything.

Now here is the thing. I wouldn’t buy the exp2 new because they don’t hold their value. And I certainly wouldn’t be paying some of the secondhand prices you see either. But for me that goes for both models that you are looking at.

In short I’m saying the exp2 to me makes a great secondhand purchase if bought at the right price. That’s the one I would go for, just not from Watchfinder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Andyp1973; 27th September 2018 at 21:58.

For me it’s the Gmt 2 all day.

Had one until recently and regret selling it now, can be dressed up or down but either way looks great. Also works well on black rubber too!

I’ve had both but now only have (several variations of) the 116710 GMT.

‘nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by stefaulkner View Post
    I have owned both and both are excellent choices. The EXP2 is a little more discreet and, in my opinion, the most comfortable to wear. The GMT2C is a little more flashy and recognisable as a Rolex, but for me, it’s a a Sub with that little bit extra. I prefer the plain black to the BLNR too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon H View Post
    For me it’s the Gmt 2 all day.

Had one until recently and regret selling it now, can be dressed up or down but either way looks great. Also works well on black rubber too!
    .... and I entirely agree with all of the above too.

Master
    I have owned most in the Rolex range but the only one i have now is polar explorer.

Like it so much i am considering the black.

Owl1
    I would go for the explorer , i find the hands to be perfect in size the polar would be my choice over the black .

Master
    I would vote for the GMT Master LN all day long. It's a better size and the rotating bezel adds a practical benefit.

Master
    I'd go GMT, the current EXP-II is out of proportion and looks like a fisher-price "my first watch" to me.

Craftsman
    I’ve just sold my smp300 and purchased a explorer 2 this week. Everything about the explorer is stunning and understated. I really liked the gmt blnr however it didn’t look right on my 8.5 inch wrist. Neither is a bad choice 👍

Master
    I've got a 42mm polar Explorer and am very happy with it. Makes a nice change to the usual Rolex choices and if bought pre-owned it's a nice saving on rrp.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    I'd go GMT, the current EXP-II is out of proportion and looks like a fisher-price "my first watch" to me.
    Glad it's not just me who thinks that!

I've nearly pulled the trigger on a 216570 a few times now but when I have it on the wrist I don't like the size. I'd make sure you're comfortable with the fit before you make your decision.

Craftsman
    I love my GMTIIc LN, first property watch I bought nearly 10 years ago and its been my daily wearer for that time and is normally my holiday watch as well for the GMT function. A lot of people moan about the polished centre links, I actually quite like them and even though mine is heavily scratched from daily use its not that noticeable from a short distance.

I really should get it serviced but it's still keeping perfect time after 9 years solid use.

I had old black dialled exp II and currently have the new one. It is comfortable to wear and I love the proportions. Go for the one you love. Try them both

Another vote for the EXP II... it’s what I went for after trying pretty much all the options. The ND Sub was actually my second favourite (GMT wasn’t a necessity for me).

It’s a great size and just so comfortable to wear plus I like the fact is less obviously a Rolex than the Sub / GMTc.

The only choice then was black or white. I chose black but looked a few times at swapping for the white version but possibly only because I have other black faced watches.

Oh... and I sold my SMP and PO to fund it....

But I did get another SMP about a year later!!!

Journeyman

What do you guys think?

Does it look too big on me, I have 7 inch wristIMG_20180925_124528 (1).jpgIMG_20180925_124528 (1).jpg

I don’t think it looks to big at all. Only you can decide if your comfortable with the size. I have the same size wrist as yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zcahhi6 View Post
    Does it look too big on me, I have 7 inch wristIMG_20180925_124528 (1).jpgIMG_20180925_124528 (1).jpg
    Looks fine to me.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I guess other things you might also want to consider:

40mm vs 42mm (Explorer II was quite large on my wrist)

Polished Center Links on the GMT - drive some people crazy and you will always get hairlines no matter how careful

Steel bezel vs Ceramic bezel - my Exp II picked up the odd mark on the steel bezel, with ceramic you don't have to worry about this really.