closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Helvetia Military Watches

Journeyman

Helvetia Military Watches

Hello all,

I have had an interest in Helvetia watches for many years and recently I've decided to put what I have found in my research onto the web and have started to create a website dedicated to Helvetia watches.

I have some info on the 30s pilot watches and DH German issue watches but not as much as you knowledgeable people on this forum.

I have collated serial number info from hundreds of Helvetia watches and using hallmarks, movement types, changes to the pattern of bridges, patent applications etc I think I have come up with a reasonably accurate serial number dating database. I have quite a few pilots watches with serial numbers and interestingly these numbers all fall between the dates 1933 and 1939. I'm sure I don't need to tell the members of a military watch forum the significance of those dates!

The numbers I have are in the high 3 million to just over 4 million. So what I am asking is for members who own these watches if they could possibly let me have their serial numbers, pics as well would be great, and I can hopefully give them a more accurate idea of dates for their watches and I can fine tune my data.

DH watches are another kettle of fish and I'm sure someone has already done some work on this, I don't want to reinvent the wheel! Does anyone know the dates these watches were issued between, I think it was only early war wasn't it? Was there any rhyme or reason to the DH serial numbers?

Thanks for your help.

Carl

Carl, I can’t wait to see your site. I too have a deep interest in Helvetias, although covering lots of models not just the military ones. I’ll take look when I get a moment to see what data I can share that might be useful to you. I’ve tended to avoid the DH models but I have a few of other types from the ‘30s as well as from ‘40s to ‘70s.

Do you have much info about the history of the company? I’ve read the usual stuff about Louis Brandt, the split from Omega, General Watch Company etc. but found out very little apart from that.

It’s great that you are doing this; I’d thought about something similar myself by was daunted by the prospect.

I saw your post on MWR as well, hope you get a great response.

Owl1
    +1 .Look forward to seeing the site

Sounds very interesting. I'll keep an eye on out for the website.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I suppose you have to find something to do in ramsgate !!! Only joking Carl , sounds a great idea please put the link up when you are up and running.

mike

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Carl, I can’t wait to see your site. I too have a deep interest in Helvetias, although covering lots of models not just the military ones. I’ll take look when I get a moment to see what data I can share that might be useful to you. I’ve tended to avoid the DH models but I have a few of other types from the ‘30s as well as from ‘40s to ‘70s.

Do you have much info about the history of the company? I’ve read the usual stuff about Louis Brandt, the split from Omega, General Watch Company etc. but found out very little apart from that.

It’s great that you are doing this; I’d thought about something similar myself by was daunted by the prospect.

I saw your post on MWR as well, hope you get a great response.
    Thanks Al!

Sorry for the delay in replying been busy with the site. Manged to get the movements page sorted. More complicated than I thought trying to work out which movement was introduced when. Always a few odd ones to trip you up where a newer movement has been replaced in an older watch. Think I've sorted it with the help of a Flume catalogue from 1957 and Paulson's Master Key Catalogue.

I've not found out much more than you with regards to recorded history, having to let the watches do the talking. Putting together some pages on interesting examples at the moment so would be interested in anything you have.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    I suppose you have to find something to do in ramsgate !!! Only joking Carl , sounds a great idea please put the link up when you are up and running.

mike
    Will do. Always seems to take longer than you'd hope. Another couple of weeks I think.