closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Panerai 692 BMG Tech

Craftsman

Panerai 692 BMG Tech

Does anyone on here have one of these and care to share thoughts/opinions?

I've loved the look of this watch since it was announced at SIHH (January 2017 I think?). I'd made a few tentative enquiries at various AD's over the past year but nobody had any information as to when it was likely to be released. It appears they started appearing at AD's 4-5 months ago so while in London on Monday I popped into a few places.

I thought these were going to be readily available once finally released but it seems like they are going to be quite difficult to get hold of, certainly no Bronzo but dare I say it a bit of awaiting list. One AD said they had already sold their allocation for the year but might be able to get me one next year (no promises). They did have one to show me though and I must say that in the flesh it is stunning. The AD I spoke to was great, really informative, explained about the material, went into why they had taken a bit longer to get to market, was very passionate about the brand and certainly knew his stuff. Was more than happy to show me any watch they had in the collection and let me have a play.

I wasn't sure I had the real estate to pull off a 47mm Pam but it seemed to not wear as big as the titanium 47mm submersible I also tried on. It was also extremely comfortable on the wrist and the material/finish was a work of art. I was smitten and determined to hunt one down until I got to the price............I thought the retail on these was around £8,800 but apparently the price is now £9,600 and due to the increase that has just taken place or is about to take place the price is going up to over £12,000 (which is a huge increase!). I really like the watch but at £12,000 for a basic 3 day auto movement it seems a little steep. I do still really want one and even the SWMBO was really impressed.

I'd built up a watch fund for a new Pepsi GMT but it seems unlikely I'm going to land one of these at list price for some time. It also seems that I'm unlikely to land the 692 either. The AD did hint that there may be some interesting pieces being released at SIHH in January 2019 so for the time being my watch fund will continue to burn a big hole in my pocket!

Craftsman
    Apologies for the rubbish iPhone pics but I was too excited to take some decent shots or wipe my finger prints/smudges away, I was still hoping they’d sell it to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It really depends on how much you think like the whole BMG. It is really hard to tell unless you have it on your wrist! Apparently the case back is Titanium, not sure why. But it gets me to think, whats the point of this BMG - surely titanium would also do the trick? Aesthetically it's a Panerai and I like this 47mm Sub case.

Master
    With the price rise I now see this as a non-starter. Just get a 305, or IMO rather a 389. They aren't fru fru and have quick change strap system, the BMG is screws.

Quote Originally Posted by ASW1 View Post
    With the price rise I now see this as a non-starter. Just get a 305, or IMO rather a 389. They aren't fru fru and have quick change strap system, the BMG is screws.
    Speaking of price increases, at almost 30% that is almost astonishing. Do we know is it across the board or what the story is behind it?

Suffice to say it looks even more dubious if I buy another new PAM again

Owl1
    Looks very wearable for a 47mm watch ,i always liked the Panerai divers.

Craftsman
    I have just bought a pre owned 0024 so I understand the love .
    I have also bought a Toshi strap for it as I think they look great with leather .
    A bonus was, as i have bought a few ‘ bits ‘ over the years the dealer said
    I could have a Sea Dweller within six months .

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I was surprised at how wearable it was but as mentioned above at £12,000 plus I think it is probably a non starter for me also. 30% increase in price is too much to stomach, I'm assuming this is not for the entire range but perhaps because the BMG has cost more to produce than expected. Its still my favourite submersible by a country mile and probably the only 47mm I'd go for.

Quote Originally Posted by PAM580 View Post
    I was surprised at how wearable it was but as mentioned above at £12,000 plus I think it is probably a non starter for me also. 30% increase in price is too much to stomach, I'm assuming this is not for the entire range but perhaps because the BMG has cost more to produce than expected. Its still my favourite submersible by a country mile and probably the only 47mm I'd go for.
    I thought you intimated you could buy it pre-rise?

Master
    I do want to try a 47mm ti PAM submersible, and this would have been on the radar had it not been for the huge price hike. Were money no object the 615 is amazing, but more likely to be a 389.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    I thought you intimated you could buy it pre-rise?
    I wish !!! If they would have sold it to me there and then pre price rise I would have jumped on it. I did ask what it would take to buy it and they apologised and said it was sold. To be fair, he did tell me not to get excited and that he could show me one but couldn’t sell me one . I was hoping it was a sales ploy, very rare, imminent price increase, blah, blah , blah but even when I got my credit card out it was a no go.

Beautiful watch but even if I could get one I don’t think I could justify it at the higher price and I’m a big Panerai fan

I wish !!! If they would have sold it to me there and then pre price rise I would have jumped on it. I did ask what it would take to buy it and they apologised and said it was sold. To be fair, he did tell me not to get excited and that he could show me one but couldn’t sell me one . I was hoping it was a sales ploy, very rare, imminent price increase, blah, blah , blah but even when I got my credit card out it was a no go.

Beautiful watch but even if I could get one I don’t think I could justify it at the higher price and I’m a big Panerai fan
    Oh right, sorry! Yea even to buy and flip it would have been worth it, though of course we frown on profiteering on here

I haven't bought a Panerai in a long time - content with my older two I have. I say go for the 305 instead - almost as good and titanium for me anyway does most of what the BMG does.....

Craftsman
    I totally agree, a 305 ticks all the boxes and at half the price of the BMG pre loved but I just didn’t click with it, can’t put my finger on why. Stupid bloody watches 😂

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Oh right, sorry! Yea even to buy and flip it would have been worth it, though of course we frown on profiteering on here

I haven't bought a Panerai in a long time - content with my older two I have. I say go for the 305 instead - almost as good and titanium for me anyway does most of what the BMG does.....
    No flipping for profit here, I buy watches I like to wear, still own every watch I’ve bought and dare I say a white face ceramic Daytona 😱

Craftsman
    so a brief update, I received an email from AD advising that they had 2 further pieces allocated and they would like to offer one to me. I said I would take it at the original price (£8,800) but unfortunately after 4 days of silence and me eventually chasing I was told they could only sell it at the increased price (£11,200). I'm smitten by this watch and I really want it but I just cannot stomach such a huge increase. 5-10% I could probably deal with and put the timing down to bad luck but nearly 30% is just too much. Such a shame as its so much nicer in the flesh than in pictures.

I did wonder if they have actually received further allocation or if other buyers have dropped out due to the substantial increase also. Such a shame, looks like I'm back to waiting for a Pepsi as nothing else tickles my fancy at the moment.

so a brief update, I received an email from AD advising that they had 2 further pieces allocated and they would like to offer one to me. I said I would take it at the original price (£8,800) but unfortunately after 4 days of silence and me eventually chasing I was told they could only sell it at the increased price (£11,200). I'm smitten by this watch and I really want it but I just cannot stomach such a huge increase. 5-10% I could probably deal with and put the timing down to bad luck but nearly 30% is just too much. Such a shame as its so much nicer in the flesh than in pictures.

I did wonder if they have actually received further allocation or if other buyers have dropped out due to the substantial increase also. Such a shame, looks like I'm back to waiting for a Pepsi as nothing else tickles my fancy at the moment.
    2 pieces just conveniently showing up after the price hike.......Have any other PAMs been hiked up?

I totally feel for you - thats a lot of cash.

Craftsman
    I think it is just the BMG Tech, perhaps it's cost more to manufacture the material than they anticipated. Really gutted but it's not a life/death problem I suppose! lol

Lovely watch but I’m sure it will go down

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Will be interested to see prices on second hand or grey market. Haven’t seen any appear at places like Watchfinder yet.

If anybody sees one then please let me know.

Apprentice
    Will be interested to see prices on second hand or grey market. Haven’t seen any appear at places like Watchfinder yet.

If anybody sees one then please let me know.

Bit late to the party here, but oh well. I picked up the BMG from the London boutique in August. I didn't know that Panerai have since jacked up the prices (I guess this explains the jump in price on C24 that I have seen in the last few weeks). It now seems very overpriced, even by Panerai/Richemont standards. It's not an LE, although it was a limited run and I wonder whether the price change means they intend to do further runs. I'll be in the London boutique later this week so I will interrogate them and report back, although it sounds like you're not too keen at the higher price.

At the time of purchase, I was torn between the 692 and 1389 which (then) had a comparable MRSP. The titanium of the 1389 gives it a similar heft on the wrist to the BMG 692. However, I really liked the aesthetics of the bezel on the 1389. The black ceramic "softens" the look of the metal case and as a result the watch seems to wear a little smaller. The 692's case, on the other hand, is a serious chunk of, well, not exactly metal which (like with most of the other 47mm Subs) accentuates the dimensions of the watch. In the end, the blue dial won me over (that and the fact that I could pick up a 1389 at any time, whereas the 692 was - I expected - a take-it-or-leave-it deal). If I was faced with the 692 now at the higher price, I would pass.

I see you already have a great watch in the 580 - although I am biased as my other Panerai is a 580 (which, incidentally, my other half strongly prefers to the 692)!

EDIT: just took another look at the photos from your original post (where it looks like you were in the Panerai boutique, rather than an AD?) The original MSRP was - as indicated on the ticket - £8,600. Bit odd that they still had it stickered at that price if it had already undergone a price change to £9,600. In any event, the price on Panerai's website is now £11,200.
    Last edited by an draoi; 13th November 2018 at 18:18.

Craftsman
    We clearly have a similar taste in watches!

I really liked the blue dial on the BMG also and the material did feel different on the wrist. I think if the price had always been £11,200 I might have gone for it but knowing it started off at £8,600.00 and I'd only missed out by a few days on the increase I just couldn't buy it at the higher price (SWMBO would also have killed me!).

This was in the boutique on Bond Street, I also tried Bucherer (Watch Gallery) in Selfridges but they did not have any. It's a stunning watch and I wasn't previously keen on 47mm Panerais or submersibles but this one really did do it for me. Never mind, maybe one day.

Apprentice
    We clearly have a similar taste in watches!

I really liked the blue dial on the BMG also and the material did feel different on the wrist. I think if the price had always been £11,200 I might have gone for it but knowing it started off at £8,600.00 and I'd only missed out by a few days on the increase I just couldn't buy it at the higher price (SWMBO would also have killed me!).

This was in the boutique on Bond Street, I also tried Bucherer (Watch Gallery) in Selfridges but they did not have any. It's a stunning watch and I wasn't previously keen on 47mm Panerais or submersibles but this one really did do it for me. Never mind, maybe one day.
    So I was in the Bond St Boutique last week and I asked about the price rise. The answer was not entirely coherent - basically that the cost of production turned out to be higher than expected, but no explanation for why the company only realised this after manufacturing and releasing the first pieces to boutiques (was told, "if you got it at the original price, you got lucky"). The boutique is not expecting to get any more pieces in from this run and they didn't know whether would be further runs of the watch - given the delays and confusion over pricing, one suspects that Panerai might draw a line under it.