closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Caribbean w/TripLock Tech

Master

Lightbulb Caribbean w/TripLock Tech

I caught sight of this on Watch Talk a bit ago (see post #9 and beyond on this thread below)
    >>>-------> https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...on-Kickstarter

Eddie,
    I very much hope you do start making Caribbean type front-loading monocoque case divers, and in a variety of sizes and styles (including pure classic and bezel-less, etc.), as I personally think that the Caribbean's technological case design is by far the very best ever developed for divers (and perhaps tool watches in general). I once read somebody on the net who said that the Jenny Caribbean Triple-Safe, in its case design, is "what the Rolex SeaDweller should have been".

That makes perfect sense to me and I'd add that it seems a watch case design genius in its simplicity and, I'd think, if properly done, as potentially strong or nearly so against tremendous external pressure compared to even the heavily hyped "RingLock" case design of the much more recent Rolex “DeepSea” SeaDweller. At the same time, though, I think that Rolex, to their lasting credit, long ago developed the very best tool watch crown/crown tube design ever devised with their TripLock OysterCrown, and putting it together with the front loading screw-down crystal Caribbean Triple-Safe mono-bloc case design would be, to me, state-of-the-art watch engineering perfection regardless of the age and venerability of both these famous technological designs.

A question would arise regarding a pairing of these two inventions given that the OysterCrown has a telescoping one-piece type stem, but it is still completely compatible with the front loading Caribbean case if a crown stem release access hole is simply but discreetly drilled through the periphery of the dial and, perhaps, though technically unnecessary, hidden under a chapter ring of sorts (as with Seiko's own MM300 take on the Caribbean design). I'd also think you'd be legally unhampered in any way by either Jenny or Rolex in the use of either techno design above given that their respective patent rights must have long since expired. I'd guess that naming or labeling them as such might be another matter, though, due any lingering copyright protections these companies may still retain.

By the way, Eddie, given the oversize concerns you've mentioned with the 1000m, maybe you could consider going with the less famous, but probably much more real-world practical Jenny Caribbean Triple-Safe 400m case size instead. I know that I would personally much prefer it and gladly trade what is perhaps the overkill depth rating of the 1000 for the, I think, far more daily useful compactness of the 400.

If anybody might think I'm just newly enthusiastic about the above, I've never forgotten posting on the subject over 5 years ago regarding the possible viability of a very comprehensively specificationed and truly purpose-built TF Smiths Caribbean, and I've been hoping ever since that you might consider such a project some day. In fact, Eddie, I think that if you ever decided to go at it all out with no real compromise like you did with your, I think, peerless and so incredibly beautifully done Roland K. manufactured original true-to-vintage specification version of the TF Smiths Military 36mm PRS-29A that, in effect, recreated, both inside and out, the iconic 4701 Smiths W10 of the late 1960's, the results of a Caribbean w/TripLock technology based TF watch project could easily turn out to be genuinely incredible as well.

For myself, I think that the potential for such a combining and integration of technology would be so good, great really, that a TF Smiths Caribbean Triple-Safe 400 diver with something like the classic (1960's Jaeger LaCoultre “Compressor” style?) dial pattern shown in the attached link below, and incorporating the highest “golden-era” vintage tool watch specs also mentioned in that post (i.e. full Faraday cage and OysterCrown specification crown & screwed tube) with added details like premium “best-of-both-worlds” self-threaded screwed lug bars, etc., etc., could technically and otherwise ultimately prove to be without peer as an all-around heavy-duty but still comfortably compact diver class superwatch pretty much able to deal with anything one might put it to, including going with formal wear in a pinch.

In other words, like the internet guy said in a nutshell, “what the Rolex SD should have been”, and without the strato-price and mass ubiquity of style

The pertaining post from 5/4/2013 that I referred to above is the last one (#50) on page 1 of the archived TZ-UK/Timefactors Watches thread linked below:

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...st-got-hold-of

Thanks (ESPECIALLY IF YOU READ ALL THIS), Rollon
    Last edited by Rollon; 26th September 2018 at 18:25.

Master
    This thread I've started hasn't exactly invited an onslaught of outside comment, so, though a bit embarrassed to do it, I'll put up “a little” more, if for no other reason than it's kind of fun to post.

I thought I'd explain IN DETAIL a few(!) of the specifics as to just why I'd so much like to see a circa 1963 conservatively classic in form front-loading Jenny “Caribbean” mono-bloc 316L or 904 steel case loaded with a full soft iron antimagnetic “Faraday Cage" that is lined inside in lieu of a formal movement holder with a simple of manufacture and [even in freezing and below temperatures] appropriately soft yet sturdy while thin enough synthetic material rear and side impact buffering inner floor and walling that abuts forward to the inside rear periphery of the dial and forms a "rubber room" of sorts that closely wraps and cradles from shock the movement that is capped by an edge-drilled crown stem release port equipped 60s golden era aesthetic matte lacquered and lumed soft iron dial while a strict generic thread specification Rolex “TripLock” pattern crown tube is screwed to the side of the case at 4:30 or 3 and fitted with its generic spec OysterCrown after the strap lugs are run through with well Loc-Tite'd or miniature NyLoc'd self-thread collet screwbars before the heavy-duty notched and threaded retaining ring placed at the peripheral “flange” of the mil-spec acrylic, or scratch resistant dress watch sapphire, or even shatter-resistant / aerospace grade - perhaps “best-of-both-worlds” borosilicate glass, or whatever composition of choice crystal is screwed down onto the solid steel of the case's integral crystal seat upon which sits a heavy and fully interceding flat synthetic gasket that also slightly overhangs its seat to gently hold in place, buffer, and check the forward thrust of a spacing metal chapter ring that in turn the dial and the movement attached to it depend on to stay in their place and benefit from the transferred buffering effect of the cushioning overhang of the crystal gasket to complete the protection of the watch's mechanism against hard knocks as the now geodesic-like whole can then hopefully become “more than the sum of its parts” by coronation with a durably fonted and pipped traditional in appearance state-of-the-art lockable-set type ratcheted timing bezel, or optionally NOT in order to keep things plain bezel simple, sleek of form, friendly-of-cuff, and “tougher in the rough”.

Having just written this above atrocity of the English language I call a “paragraph sentence”, it does appear mostly self-explanatory, so I think it best to pretty much leave it at that for now before being banned from the forum for committing gross, grammerless, and boring verbosity.

But, as is typical of me, though, I always find myself wanting to tack-on “just one more thing” AFTER I wrap it up, so, just to maintain my style, I'll add (at least) one-and-a-half-or-so of the earlier threatened points of explanatory detail that might otherwise escape notice (God forbid):

Because its case needs neither a separate back piece, or the rather complicated helium escape valve required by other gas-dive capable case designs lacking a screw-down crystal for resistance to negative pressure, the above theoretical version of a Caribbean construction mil/dive/tool watch has only two points of opening that require sealing against water and whatnot, at the crystal and at the crown. With both of these, the sealing is accomplished by tightly sandwiching a “squishable” synthetic seal between two opposing parts without those two opposing parts, by design, ever contacting each other so that each opposing part can only ever bottom out on the synthetic seal itself as long as the seal remains in place.

This allows for the sealing of the above design casing and crown to perpetually compensate for the inevitable wear and compaction of the synthetic sealing material over time, use, and disassembly, by simply just properly reassembling and periodically tightening down the crystal retaining ring as might be needed and/or the crown as you go about your daily use of the watch. The Russian Vostok Amphibean design famously and effectively uses this directly analogous sealing principle both at the retaining-ring secured domed steel caseback and at the single cap top gasketed crown that bears tightly upon the top surface of the crown tube each time it is properly battened down.

The, I think, superlative Rolex TripLock and TwinLock OysterCrown designs work on the same principle, but in addition to the wear compensating primary sealing accomplished by the large tube top bearing gasket inside the cap of the crown, these Rolex design crown units also have multiple donut-shaped seals inside the crown tube that bear laterally against crown stem and tube walling for a back-up measure of water resistance even if the crown is unintentionally left loose or unscrewed. The TripLock version of the OysterCrown also has an additional gasket at the base of the crown tube that forms an initial or forward line of defence against moisture entering when the crown is screwed down in place
    Last edited by Rollon; 7th October 2018 at 10:49. Reason: Needed to rearrange several particularly poorly done technical descriptions

Caribbean w/TripLock Tech

Rolex make donuts? Is there a list for the more desirable ones? There must be otherwise why would they seal them?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Rolex make donuts? Is there a list for the more desirable ones? There must be otherwise why would they seal them?

Uh, I don't know, but I sure as hell ain't gonna eat no rubber mini donut

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollon View Post
    This thread I've started hasn't exactly invited an onslaught of outside comment, so, though a bit embarrassed to do it, I'll put up “a little” more, if for no other reason than it's kind of fun to post.
    There's probably a fair few folk like myself that have read with interest but have nothing of value to add, so I wouldn't take the silence as disinterest necessarily :)

Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    There's probably a fair few folk like myself that have read with interest but have nothing of value to add, so I wouldn't take the silence as disinterest necessarily :)
    Agreed... I love the idea but don’t have the vocabulary to add anything.. hence all I understood was something about Rolex donuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Agreed... I love the idea but ............ something about Rolex donuts. .............

Thank you each for your kind comments.

BTW, I did actually mean it when I said above that just putting words to everything I was thinking regarding the possibility of a TF Caribbean case diver and posting it up was kind of fun in itself. But even if only the two of you and maybe a few others here found even just a bit of interest or new information or anything else of any use whatever from it, that still makes it more than well worth it to me and the only thing that's bothering me is that I happen to have just noticed that I mispelled “Amphib-E-an” up there ( how did I do that, damn-it!? ) Rollon
    Last edited by Rollon; 7th October 2018 at 00:56.

I recall one of your earlier posts ( years back) which left me slightly breathless as well.

You put more thought into this than I suspect whole government departments manage with matters of national importance..!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubs View Post
    I recall one of your earlier posts ( years back) which left me slightly breathless as well.

You put more thought into this than I suspect whole government departments manage with matters of national importance..!

Well thank you very much, you are very kind to say that. I can't say I've ever been compared to government bureaucracy before, but as long as I come out as favourable in contrast, I'm very good with it (my first thought was that you meant I was like government bureaucracy on steroids or something, but then I thought, nah, nah, he didn't mean that, ........ uhm, ..... you didn't mean that, ...... uh, ... right ................................??

Hubs, thank you very much, and I mean that, Rollon

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post

Eddie
    Tasty!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Yes... that gets a 10 from Len.... almost

Eddie

Master
    What are the odds of this happening Eddie? , l'm looking at purchasing a blue faced diver and have my eye on this Baltic-
    https://baltic-watches.com/aquascaphes/aquascaphe
    But if there's a TF possibility l'd rather hold off any purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by inthered View Post
    What are the odds of this happening Eddie? , l'm looking at purchasing a blue faced diver and have my eye on this Baltic-
    https://baltic-watches.com/aquascaphes/aquascaphe
    But if there's a TF possibility l'd rather hold off any purchase.
    It's very likely.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master

Eddie

Wow ----------------------------- seeing this was a shock that you were a lot further along with this project than I knew about?!? (I finally saw it was an Ollech&Wajs original you've showed and mentioned before in past threads, and great photography, BTW)

I personally think the basic technological construction of these front-loading Jenny "Caribbean" mono-blocs is the very best ever yet devised for a comprehensively purpose-built wristwatch, Eddie, and very glad you're considering offering it in the TF line. I don't know if you read everything put up in the first two posts of this thread, but I tried to explain up there why I personally think watches so constructed are so good, and it would honestly be bizarre to me to find I was objectively wrong on that.

And if your O&W 1000 is not locked in stone as the aesthetic template for any new Caribbean construction diver you might make, I would myself respectfully vote for the following dial and case aesthetics that Silvax put up years ago >>>------------->

Quote Originally Posted by silvax View Post
    This one?

I love the look of that just as it is, though I think the hand style might be tweeked a bit without damage, maybe (only maybe); would definitely prefer a black background date wheel to better go unnoticed until needed; and I'd for myself also like to see a version with the front of the case just CNC machined to a classic plain bare solid bezel (like a vintage style Panerai diver is) but with the (I think technologically beautiful) notched and threaded heavy-duty steel retaining ring encircling the flanged crystal it keeps so well secured and water-tite (going bezel-less like that for this might be an aesthetic only I could love, but I don't know).

As a last thought on a theoretical bezel-less version of Silvax's above rendition of a 60's diver with, I think, classic perfection of form ---- with the rotating timing bezel retained, Silvax's diver has it's larger gilt bezel 12 marker to supplement the much smaller gilt 12 marker on the dial for, I think, perfect aesthetic balance and visual utility in daily use. Going bezel-less, bare crystal retaining ring style, maybe the larger sized 12 marker of the timing bezel could REPLACE the existing dial's smaller 12 marker to better retain the perfect balance and utility of Silvax's original dial's aesthetics

THANKS, Rollon
    Last edited by Rollon; 17th October 2018 at 07:15. Reason: Last paragraph added with a last thought on bezel-less aesthetics

Start saving...

Eddie
    OMG

Put me down

Master
    Looks fantastic but please ditch the 1000mWR to keep the height down (< 12mm preferably)

Eddie

Looks lovely in blue......and please a tad bigger...42mm across?
    Equisite handset and the bezel is perfect, great job.

And Eddie knocks another one out of the park.
    I really like all the colours, and am normally a blue person, but the orange really appeals to me. I wasn't expecting a silver either, but it looks lovely.

Enamel applied bezel insert? I am not sure I understand, does this mean the colur, lume and applied markers are to the back of enamel? Or is the colour the enamel, on the back of another material?
    Love the polished markers in the bezel, and the polished and folded hands look great.
    Dave

Any news on the how deep the case will be, I couldn't find that dimension.

Looking fantastic, any chance of getting a beads of rice bracelet? Also, what's a reasonable timeframe for delivery?

Kind Regards,
    Catalin

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Wow, I mean really wow, that looks absolutely superb particularly in the blue.

Perfect. But which colour....

Caribbean w/TripLock Tech

Looks awesome!!
    Dead keen on the blue.

But please no BoR...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by redhed18; 7th December 2018 at 21:11.

Master
    40mm, blue, perfect.

I assume the 1000 is feet not metres (as per previous discussion of case depth), so the case back script would need to change.

...and another thing! Would it be possible to have options of different bezel colours with different dial colours.....just asking for a friend...

Quote Originally Posted by PhilT View Post
    40mm, blue, perfect.

I assume the 1000 is feet not metres (as per previous discussion of case depth), so the case back script would need to change.
    It will be 1000 metres.

Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by Inq24 View Post
    Looking fantastic, any chance of getting a beads of rice bracelet? Also, what's a reasonable timeframe for delivery?

Kind Regards,
    Catalin

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Yes, BOR bracelet.

Eddie

I might come to regret it but I like the look of the yellow.

It will be 1000 metres.

Eddie

So 17mm thick?

Quote Originally Posted by kace View Post
    So 17mm thick?
    14.5mm.

Eddie

Master
    14.5mm.

Eddie

I'm in...

That's looking very nice indeed. If it does turn out to be 1000m that would be a real bonus (the spec on the schematic says 30atm which is 300m IIRC). It looks like you're going with parallel lugs which I suppose is logical, but the pointy lugs are one of the quirks that sets the original apart. I also can't help thinking that Precista branding would suit it better, the Precista logo is a bit more subtle. But I'm just happy someone is finally making one!
    Last edited by Groundrush; 8th December 2018 at 19:11.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Very nice indeed. I think I like the black dial the most. Ideal size, no bigger please. What movement is going into it?

Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    That's looking very nice indeed. If it does turn out to be 1000m that would be a real bonus
    Eddie confirmed it will be 1000m above

Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    What movement is going into it?
    Spec sheet says ETA 2824

Master
    I haven't had one of Eddie's watches for years but I would definitely but this in orange or yellow I just wish there was a no date version as I can't be doing with dates on a watch but sadly most watches have it :)
    Last edited by andy armitage; 9th December 2018 at 11:27.

Quote Originally Posted by kace View Post
    Perfect. But which colour....

Blue 40mm for me thanks.

I am in for one of these, blue or yellow they both look fantastic.

I'm liking the look of that silver dial. Looks like it has sufficient contrast between dial and hands (often not the case).
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

That's looking very nice indeed. If it does turn out to be 1000m that would be a real bonus (the spec on the schematic says 30atm which is 300m IIRC). It looks like you're going with parallel lugs which I suppose is logical, but the pointy lugs are one of the quirks that sets the original apart. I also can't help thinking that Precista branding would suit it better, the Precista logo is a bit more subtle. But I'm just happy someone is finally making one!
    Yup, I'd agree on the branding, prefer Precista. Think I'd still get one despite reservations about the smallish size because it has so many appealing style cues.

I could shave 1mm off the thickness by using either ETA2892 or Sellita SW300 but that would make a significant difference to the price. Miyota 9015 would save 0.7mm.

Eddie

Master
    Blog Entries
    Diving watches are meant to be thick

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    Diving watches are meant to be thick

I agree that's why I like them so I wouldn't want it thinner.

My SKX007 measures 13.25mm so 14.5mm isn't that outrageous. It is a 1000m dive watch after all.

Master
    Blog Entries
    My SKX007 measures 13.25mm so 14.5mm isn't that outrageous. It is a 1000m dive watch after all.
    I've got a Certina Super PH1000M from the 70's which is 18mm thick.

14.5mm.

Eddie
    Pretty much perfect, I'm going to end up with more than one of these I think. Wanted an original for years.

Master
    I wonder when this is coming out as it would be good to know as I am without a watch at present :)