closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why such Rolex popularity at over 1 million units a year?

Quote Originally Posted by hot66 View Post
    I buy them because I like them ... is that wrong ? Glad to hear I’m ‘labelled’ on tzuk by some .
    Nothing wrong at all. I like them too. Well, some of them.

What is it you like about them? How did you come to your opinion of the brand?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Is that not the same for Patek, Hublot, Omega, Tag, Breitling, IWC pretty much any major watchmaker?
    Yes it is, pretty much any major above average brand or rather consumer product.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post

I know the question wasn’t aimed at me, but I’d like to answer it from my perspective.

I’ve had six, each one because simply I liked the look of it and/or another reason

Submariner-Date, sold on the hype of “the best dive watch”, plus the date seemed more complete with the cyclops look

Yachtmaster, nearest to a precious metal watch with that bit of subtle PT “flash”

Daytona, movement reputation

Explorer-II, the whiter than white dial, second time zone

Explorer-39, simplicity and price (got a great bargain)

DJ, (current Rolex) two tone dial, classic design with “quirky” roulette date

The next will be a Day-Date, again a classic design and the first watch with full day display, so a little history chucked in too.

For me most of the designs are appealing with the exception of a few.
    They are robust and reliable with reasonable service costs, I also like the fact that once purchased you could potentially keep it for the remainder of your life should you wish and subject to maintaining it will last you.
    The added bonus is they tend to retain there value.
    Last edited by boring_sandwich; 25th September 2018 at 20:40.

Quote Originally Posted by optix View Post
    Is rolex a luxury watch? It's more mid market these days hence why you see them everyday.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    The ASP of a watch in the UK is about £85 - they are very clearly a luxury item.

Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post

Question also not aimed at me but,

I like some Rolex watches such as the 11600 and the Date Just and those I am happy to own. I like some of the Cellini watches too. I have zero interest in the Daytona which I think is rather ugly and the price utterly ridiculous for what it is especially considering I could get a speedmaster and Breguet Type XX for the same money (Buying pre owned I would probably have change over to buy something else) I have little interest in the sub and find the Hulk one of the ugliest watches I have seen and having tried one on would have no interest in buying.

So there you go, I like some, I dont like others. Pretty much how I like the Reverso or the ultra thin line of JLC but find some of their divers watches an utter eyesore. Some Glashutte watches I like some I dont. I dont happen to think any brand is sprinkled with some kind of magic powder or holds some mythical properties I just think Rolex are very well made reliable watches. My guess is the majority of people who purchase them think the same.

Journeyman
    They are popular because the company make a good quality item and the brand is extremely well managed, simple as that really. End of thread

Quote Originally Posted by Carnut View Post
    They are popular because the company make a good quality item and the brand is extremely well managed, simple as that really. End of thread
    Hear, Hear

Master
    Agreed.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Pretty much the correct answer. If the watches were tat people would vote with their feet.

If they weren't marketed so shrewdly nobody would revere them so much.

Rolex have just got it so right.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by optix View Post
    Is rolex a luxury watch? It's more mid market these days hence why you see them everyday.
    You are questioning whether a £6,000 watch - equivalent to 25% of the average UK salary - is a "luxury" purchase.

Could you be any more detached from reality?

Craftsman
    Maybe I should say , I buy the Rolex I like ... and thats only some Rolex

I love the sports watches, sub, gmt and seadweller ... something about the design is just ‘classic’ and works for me . The fact they an be daily wearers and take abuse is all part of the overall reason I like them .... it’s the same with cars, I love Porsche 911’s too ( the old ones rather than the new stuff though)

I’m probably a walking stereotype 🤣

Journeyman
    This is my take (excuse the over analysis)

Back in the day they were a respected, but "one of many" watchmaker. From the 30s-60s, they had a very aggressive marketing. They gave their watches away as gifts to influential figures (think presidents and world leaders). This really boosted their reputation and gave them widespread coverage and quickly made them more well known than more established and often more expensive competitors. They also had a rock solid reputation as a hard wearing, well made tool watch with a lot of military heritage and was in their early history sold as good value for money watches that won't fail you. Because of this they became popular with cultural superstars of the early-mind 20th century modernists and the "lost generation" (think Hemmingway, Ian flemming etc.), and so gathered an air of "cool" that added to their appeal. By the 60s, they had become a cultural icon for their "coolness" - think Paul Newman, Steve McQueen and James Bond. But at this point they were still relatively affordable for the average middle class consumer. Obviously, a Swiss watch was still expensive - particularly before quartz - but they weren't the status symbols of wealth and "luxury" that they are now today and at least on price, they weren't outside the "mid range" of Swiss watches.

In the following decades, as the western economy boomed, the generations that came to age following the world wars - who grew up with Rolex as an icon of "cool" - came to hold positions of wealth and influence more disproportionately than those that came before them (i.e. the Yuppie generations) during a time of unparalleled social mobility and, one can argue, excess. This drove demand and prices for Rolex sky high and transitioned it from just being a cultural symbol to a status symbol of wealth. Tastes amongst the new middle and upper middle classes also shifted from traditional notions of luxury to a more aggressive, showy one that favoured louder, more aggressive and less reserved styles. This trend favoured Rolex and also contributed to them overtaking the well established centuries old brands.

Craftsman
    Well aren't you going to be a delightful contributor in the future. Just give us your pithy summary and you can put to all this on-forum discussion nonsense.

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by astonandy View Post
    Well aren't you going to be a delightful contributor in the future. Just give us your pithy summary and you can put to all this on-forum discussion nonsense.
    Well thank you sir. I only wish politicians would take this lead, sometimes less is more, especially when getting to the point.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    What a load of rubbish, I would imagine the majority of people that purchase Rolex do so because they like the design and associate the brand with reliability.
    How so is his comment a load of rubbish? I'll bet you there are more buyers of Rolex buying into the "you've finally made it" marketing by Rolex than those who appreciate or collect watches.

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    For me most of the designs are appealing with the exception of a few.
    They are robust and reliable with reasonable service costs, I also like the fact that once purchased you could potentially keep it for the remainder of your life should you wish and subject to maintaining it will last you.
    The added bonus is they tend to retain there value.
    Agreed.

Rolex marketing has been down to a fine art for decades now. They sponsor the right event and are pretty careful with their brand ambassadors. On top of that, as others have said, it's the fancy watch brand everyone knows. A lot of people buy for a status symbol and end up with a high quality watch which is reliable and durable.