closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Hublot Classic Fusion or Rolex Datejust 41

Master

Hublot Classic Fusion or Rolex Datejust 41

My God son has been in touch asking for some advice on his first decent watch. He's looking at buying either a Hublot Classic black fusion 42mm or a Rolex Datejust 41mm Oyster. Thing is he's 17 and more than likely to want to change it 6 months down the line when he sees something else that takes his fancy. He's asking which will hold it's value the best (he's not looking to make money on it) if he wants to change or if there's anything else similar in design for around £5k. His agent has said he can get him 25% off the Hublot which makes the loss a bit more manageable I guess.

Any ideas and I'm not that up to speed on Hublots so I've told him I'd go for the Rolex.

Cheers all.
    Last edited by Toddy; 25th September 2018 at 11:53.

I actually think the Hublot would probably be the better option for a lad his age. The DJ is big and blingy and quite dressy, but rule number 1 is only buy what you like- if he likes it then he should go for it.

25% off the Hublot may sound tempting but it's likely he will still lose more- or similar- money than if he went for the DJ at retail.

Craftsman
    Not a massive fan of hublot watches, do have a very distinctive design and can imagine it getting lots of attention if that's what he wants. Not overly convinced on the build quality though. Have had several friends own hublots and two of them had issues with them.

For me Rolex is always the safest option if you're concerned about resale value

Master
    Residual values / access to parts and service would generally push you one way and you know it already.

Master
    Thanks all, I did say to him if it was me I'd buy the Rolex but wanted a bit of back up from the very knowledgeable people on here as it's his own money he's spending and I've no doubt he'll want something else soon. End of the day though I think he prefers the Hublot but he's worried about losing too much money on it.

Master
    At seventeen he doesn't need a watch like this, and would look a bit of a prat wearing one.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    My God son has been in touch asking for some advice on his first decent watch. He's looking at buying either a Hublot Classic black fusion 42mm or a Rolex Datejust 41mm Oyster. Thing is he's 17 and more than likely to want to change it 6 months down the line when he sees something else that takes his fancy. He's asking which will hold it's value the best (he's not looking to make money on it) if he wants to change or if there's anything else similar in design for around £5k. His agent has said he can get him 25% off the Hublot which makes the loss a bit more manageable I guess.

Any ideas and I'm not that up to speed on Hublots so I've told him I'd go for the Rolex.

Cheers all.
    Rolex but maybe a different model at that age.hublot will be a problem trading as not got A big following.as Rolex has

Master
    Need to be a bit more specific than that, but they are too very different watches !

I’ve got a Classic Fusion Chrono 45mm, I love the classic design but at 45mm it is quite chunky which I also like so it’s a modern classic in a way, unlike some of the monstrosity that Hublot produces. Very comfortable to wear as well as it’s titanium so ultra light. Quite prone to pick up scratches though.

Also have the new air king, a bit more classic but the dial makes it a bit more retro. Can definitely feel the weight of this one compared to the Hublot but very comfortable too (especially in summer as hublot is rubber strap).

Of the two I purchased the hublot with quite a bit of a discount and the air king at list, I believe if I were to sell the hublot it would be at a slight loss whereas the air king would be flat/small gain.

As others have mentioned, he needs to try both and see which he prefers. But if it’s more about not losing money, a Rolex stainless steel is a no brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    At seventeen he doesn't need a watch like this, and would look a bit of a prat wearing one.
    In much the same way an old man can look a prat wearing an expensive sports chrono he doesn't need?

Master
    The Hublot is the Classic Fusion Black Magic 42mm, he's trying both on tomorrow which should help him make his mind up. Not sure why he'd look like a prat wearing either though.

Craftsman
    Not a Hublot fan myself so I’d go Rolex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    In much the same way an old man can look a prat wearing an expensive sports chrono he doesn't need?
    That’s me then

“It’s official I’m a prat.”

Do I care? Nope.

Tell him to buy just what he likes and what feels right, to Him.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

If he really wants the Hublot then preowned might be better given the 40% depreciation won’t be on him

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Not sure I`d put it quite so strongly, but there aren`t many 17 year olds wearing Rolex watches! He'd almost certainly stand out amongst his peers and that's not always a good thing. I would've thought a lad that age would have other priorities.....I certainly did!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    OK, what's the acceptable upper age for wearing a chrono or sports watch?

I`m 60, probably able to pass for 50 on a good day........do I need to start worrying about wearing a Speedmaster when I go out or should I restrict it to the home where no-one can see? I`m certainly not young anymore so perhaps it's time to stop wearing certain watches?

Hadn`t realised ageism had permeated the watch world to such an extent.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Not sure I`d put it quite so strongly, but there aren`t many 17 year olds wearing Rolex watches! He'd almost certainly stand out amongst his peers and that's not always a good thing. I would've thought a lad that age would have other priorities.....I certainly did!
    I know it's a bit odd for a 17 year old but his peers more than likely have them as well.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    I know it's a bit odd for a 17 year old but his peers more than likely have them as well.
    Ahh.....just read the comment about 'his agent'..........he's obviously not a typical 17 year old.

My strong advice is to go for the Rolex!

Craftsman
    Residuals are notoriously poor on Hublot, if he's worried about having to sell if he changes his mind. Second hand may be the way to go.

Personally, would go for the DJ.

Journeyman
    Debating whether to get a Hublot or a Rolex at 17 is a good problem to have...

Adding to what others are saying, if he is going to be likely to change his mind and sell it on quickly, Rolex is the better bet. If you buy 2nd hand, you won't have issues with being able to retain value for either but the Hublot will takes quite a bit of time to sell, whereas the Rolex won't. There is always a ready market for a Rolex.

I would go for the Rolex. Ring a few dealers and ask what they will give for a 6 month old Hublot. This may help in deciding.

Honestly, agent or no, I struggle to understand how any child - which he still is - should have a Rolex, Hublot or similar. Even if he earns more than me.

While I make no assumptions about the OP's Godson character, others who meet him in person, will. Especially with a huge piece of expensive bling on his wrist. Unless he moves in truly rarified circles, he is not likely to do himself any favours having such a watch.

But it's his choice and at the end of the day, that's what matters. You make your own choices in life.

If he must have one, then I have zero love for Hublot, but would more suit a young man than a DJ.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

Hadn`t realised ageism had permeated the watch world to such an extent.

It hasn't. I was responding in kind to Old Pa Skinner so back in your box please.

Master
    Blog Entries
    If I were being sensible : Rolex.
    If I was 17 with an agent and a £5K budget and the assumption of more to come : Hublot.

Master
    Not that he’s suggested this, but If he’s insistent on buying something for around 5k, I’d be looking at a non date sub. Slightly smaller than the other two, not as blingy I guess, more likely to be a keeper than the other two, easier to sell and less likely to lose on it.

They are 2 massively different watches... what does he actually want?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluehase284 View Post
    They are 2 massively different watches... what does he actually want?
    He obviously has no idea what he wants, he’s just seventeen and can spend £5k on a watch. Sounds like he knows of two expensive brands that will impress his mates, none of which are likely to have the first clue about what they’re buying other than they’ve seen a footballer or rapper wearing one.

The world is officially mental when kids of this age are spending that kind of money on anything, never mind a shiny trinket. Daddy’s money no doubt.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    He obviously has no idea what he wants, he’s just seventeen and can spend £5k on a watch. Sounds like he knows of two expensive brands that will impress his mates, none of which are likely to have the first clue about what they’re buying other than they’ve seen a footballer or rapper wearing one.

The world is officially mental when kids of this age are spending that kind of money on anything, never mind a shiny trinket. Daddy’s money no doubt.
    Actually no its not "Daddys money" as you put it. It's his own money and he's been into watches for a few years now. He's now currently in a fortunate position where he can spend this kind of cash on a watch.
    Anyway, he realises that he needs to go and try a few on before making a purchase so that's what he's going to do. He likes both the Hublot and Rolex and was just asking which would be less of a hit if he came to swap for something else, that's all.

Of the 2 I prefer the Hublot as I like the styling and feel it's better finished. As has been pointed out already by other members purchasing said Hublot at RRP is akin to taking £2k and flushing it down the toilet. Fortunately the Hublot can be obtained new at around 30% discount which mitigates this somewhat- overseas purchase probably required so check out chrono24

If the question is just which will trade less of a hit then Rolex without doubt.
    Hublott drop like hot stones.

Journeyman
    I would go with the Rolex. It's the safer option and easier to resell if he wants to change the watch after 6 months.

Sent from my SM-N950F using TZ-UK mobile app

Anything but the DJ, he is to young to carry that off. A nice omega planet ocean 600m maybe, or a sub would be more suited.

He must be onto a good thing if he works and has 5k to spend at 17!

Master
    For a 17yr old the Hublot at a good discount.

The DJ will lose a considerable chunk, not everything with "Rolex" on the dial holds its value, been there and done that.

Again though, as others have said, he should buy what he feels he likes best.
    Last edited by Nev; 26th September 2018 at 09:04.

Journeyman
    What an interesting dilemma, if it can be seen as such. A 17 year old in the position to throw £5k on a watch seems initially excessive, and this is then tempered by the sense that they are worried about heavy depreciation.
    My thoughts? If you can afford it, buy what you like and what will give you the most satisfaction. If you are seriously worried about losing money on it, then perhaps you have to consider if you can actually afford it.

Craftsman
    What a great problem to have at 17, I'd go with the Rolex myself.

Master
    There was another thread Saying not enough youngsters are into watches....

Personally I think it’s great, if a 17 year is into them and can afford it then even better. At that age I always wanted a Rolex as well. However personally if I were him I’d start at something like a Tag or omega and gradually build a collection. Is he comfortable carrying around a 5k watch on his wrist ?

Why not something vintage and have something more interesting? With a WIS as a Godparent this is your moment to educate the younger generation!

No doubt the Rolex would lose less in depreciation but for a 17 year old lad it’s just got to be the Hublot. A very nice, modern, fashionable and well made watch perfect for a young lad. The Rolex seems a bit dull in comparison for a young lad. Good luck to him I hope he enjoys whatever he chooses now and in the future.

If I had five large to drop on a watch at 17, I'd buy a used SMP for £1500 and splosh the rest on crack and whores.

Master
    Sounds to me like your godson is a talented football prodigy. If I hat’s the case then the Hublot tie up with the FA will secure the discount via his agent. It’s a bit of a cliche footballers and their watches so I would try and steer him away from either but if he has to choose between the two then I would recommend the Hublot in one of the more interesting colours like the green in a more conservative 38mm size.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lughugger View Post
    Sounds to me like your godson is a talented football prodigy. If I that’s the case then the Hublot tie up with the FA will secure the discount via his agent. It’s a bit of a cliche footballers and their watches so I would try and steer him away from either but if he has to choose between the two then I would recommend the Hublot in one of the more interesting colours like the green in a more conservative 38mm size.

Master
    What a great decision to have to make.
    Personally at 17 with 5k to spank on a watch from the 2 brands mentioned I'd be looking at a Rolex Explorer or Air King instead of the DJ. Hublot always struck me as a bit 'new money' which is fine if that's his thing but as others say make sure you get a deep discount.

Outside of those brands (which is where i'd actually put my money) I'd be looking at something more robust such Sinn U1, Damasko of some sort, maybe a GS diver or sports watch of some sort - the new quartz GMTs look rather nice), Tudor BB or Pelagos. As at 17 you're bound to get into scrapes that would not be good for a dressier type of watch. Then put the remainder into saving up for the next watch. None have the 'brand' of Rolex or Hublot though which is / maybe important to a 17 year old.

As for all those saying a 17 year old shouldn't have a Rolex or whatever - Didn't Rolex make child size watches in the past? If the lad can afford to spend that kind of money on a watch then good luck to him.

Master
    Thanks all some great answers there👍
    He's going to let me know how it goes today after trying a few on.

Can’t believe some of the replies on this thread. We are a strange bunch who are on a forum about watches. Moan that the youth only like smart watches. Yet a 17yr old has a actual interest and is getting lambasted for having that much cash to spend & brand image nonsense. I’m sure I can find people my own age spending my yearly wage on one watch.... so what..... if the buyer can afford it so be it. He should buy what he likes. Too many sheep around, become the Lion!

For what it’s worth, I like Hublot think the Big Bang is a future classic for its design and materials, just a lot of cash to spend on a movement not in house. The fusion doesn’t do much for me.

Dayejust is a classic and would most likely hold its value better and easier to move on.

Master
    Good on him if he can afford it. Lots of people on this forum blow a lot more than this, so don’t see why he shouldn’t just because he is 17 if he can afford it.

I think the Hublot is a better option assuming the discount is right. I quite like the look of it, and having a ceramic case will help keeping it looking nice if and when he comes to sell it on.

May be worth getting him to look at the omega dark side of the moon which is also very classy and a similar choice (black, ceramic) but with excellent in house chrono movement. Not sure whether it will do it for him from a brand prestige perspective though

Craftsman

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    If I had five large to drop on a watch at 17, I'd buy a used SMP for £1500 and splosh the rest on crack and whores.