timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Photokina - development of a Ricoh GR 3!

Photokina - development of a Ricoh GR 3!

Photokina kicks off tomorrow and announcements have started. The most exciting for me is the development of the new GR by Ricoh. Sadly I think we will have to wait till Spring 2019 time before it gets into photographers hands, but some nice developments -

24MP APSC sensor
    A stabilised sensor stabilised in 3 directions - given Pentax's skill with IBIS, I expect this will work very well.
    On sensor phase detection
    A totally new lens which is likely to also aid focus (the biggest issue with the GR), but still f2.8 - which is fine by me
    And touch screen - really interested to see how they incorporate that into the GR philosophy.

I'm very excited - the camera will remain pocketable and should get a massive boost in performance and image quality. The GR has been an endearing and great camera to use - I've owned mine for 5 years now and still going strong

More information on the camera here - https://www.dpreview.com/news/791278...awaited-gr-iii

And a little promo video below (for some reason I can't embed...) -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABDNFtS41Ps

Master
    I know its not the same, but I had a film GR1 and I wish I had never sold it. Loved that little thing and it went everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    I know its not the same, but I had a film GR1 and I wish I had never sold it. Loved that little thing and it went everywhere.
    The GR is all about meaningful iteration. The philosophy has not changed since the GR1 and that is what makes the range so special. You'd probably feel right at home with one of the current GRs and this GR3

Blog Entries
    I have the mark 1, very unimpressed with the mark 2 as the differences were minimal. Happy with the mark 1 and will be sticking with that.

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Me too! My old one...

Also owned the GRII and IV digitals, both excellent. The handling is fantastic but for me it's the lens on all of these that is spectacular. Plus the compact size and stealthiness (with all the lights and screen able to be disabled) that makes it very discreet.

A couple from the GRIV, as shot:

A GR3 might interest me, but the (equivalent) focal length is near identical to that of an iPhone. Which in any recent iteration does rather more and rather more conveniently. If online is the final destination, the quality is absolutely fine too. So it depends what they do with the GR to keep it relevant.

Lovely shots TT, especially - though I reckon the operator has a fair bit to do with that :)

Some hands on (well looking at the camera through plexiglass) seems to reveal a few key changes to the handling of the camera - stuff I actually really like and use. The TaV button mode seems to have gone, at least one function button has been removed and the rocker for the exposure compensation is also deemed surplus. There is also suggestion that the newer lens design may be less sharp (and relying more on software correction).

I still wait in anticipation - the GR philosophy has always been about easy of handling, so who knows maybe the've got some up their sleeve with the touch screen. And if it looks as if they're on a cost cutting exercise, then it better be cheap....

Saw this on petapixel earlier very interesting! The GRD I still selling for pretty high prices on eBay due to people loving how it rendered itís black and white jpegs. I wonder how the black and white in the new one will fare up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Black and white is indeed good, but calibrate the colour in PP/Lightroom and colour is as good as the Coolpix A. The ramping up to FF fixed lens is enticing yet expensive and you give up size. I think this Zeiss 35mm camera is fascinating -

https://www.dpreview.com/news/343044...d-35mm-f2-lens

Built in 512Gb and an ability to PP with a Lightroom CC in camera. Potential game changer if it works well. Samsung tried something similar with their NX line some years ago - but it was probably too early. This takes it all to a new level. The other thing to monitor is how battery holds up . And the price. Won't be cheap!

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Black and white is indeed good, but calibrate the colour in PP/Lightroom and colour is as good as the Coolpix A. The ramping up to FF fixed lens is enticing yet expensive and you give up size. I think this Zeiss 35mm camera is fascinating -

https://www.dpreview.com/news/343044...d-35mm-f2-lens

Built in 512Gb and an ability to PP with a Lightroom CC in camera. Potential game changer if it works well. Samsung tried something similar with their NX line some years ago - but it was probably too early. This takes it all to a new level. The other thing to monitor is how battery holds up . And the price. Won't be cheap!
    Wow I hadnít seen this. Unusual design and concept thanks for sharing it, will read a bit more into it. Also interesting to see the new Zenit rangefinder just announced. Always love the Photokina time of year for new camera envy lol

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I've not been following for a while but I thought it was released like 5-7 years ago alongside the next Sigma fixed lens wonder? Man that's a slow developing tech..
    AVDACES FORTVNA IVVAT

I did not see this camera coming until I read it here first yesterday.

I have a Ricoh GR2 which I bought second hand and it is amazing.

I have x100f and a RX100 but I carry the GR2 everyday everywhere, it is a amazing camera to use and the IQ in black and white is amazing.

I will be keen to see and purchase a GR3.

Apprentice
    I've got a GR mk1, and a 5D, the Ricoh gets picked up far more often these days as it's easier to pocket and carry around.

The quality I think is phenomenal already for such a small camera, I didn't think the extras on the GR mkII were worth it (the GR mkII was just released when I got the mk1), but the MK3 may be tempting....

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using TZ-UK mobile app