closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Home Electricity Problem

Home Electricity Problem

In the past few days, the RCD on my distribution board (the left hand one in the picture) has been tripping out. I have identified the 'trigger' event as being when the hot tub starts its filter cycle (all its pumps and heaters switch on at the beginning of the cycle). The hot tub is on its own circuit breaker on the distribution board (currently switched off).

Now, this section of the board has always been a bit susceptible to tripping out due to transients - for example my lawn mower willl trip the RCD if it's plugged into one of the out door sosckets.

So the question is, who do I need to call? I'm tempted to think it's something in the wiring rather than the hot tub, so start with an electrician? The company on the sticker is still in business, and have a big shiny website (and presumably big shiny bills as well).

Craftsman
    Call an electrician. He/she will test for faults.
    It doesn't have to be a big Company just one that's qualified to test e.g. NICEIC approved.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    Call an electrician. He/she will test for faults.
    It doesn't have to be a big Company just one that's qualified to test e.g. NICEIC approved.
    This their website will give you local approved operatives

Master
    It could easliy be a faulty/oversensitive RCD (hence it's history of tripping). Any competent electrician should have the equipment required to test it.

Thanks. I have wondered if it might be the RCD; I suppose I should have had it checked out before.

I've got someone coming on Thursday. It'll have to be a cold tub until then.

Just to help clarify is it your MCB - miniature circuit breaker that is going? These respond to excessive current, and need quite a large amount over the rated currebt to trip quickly, indicating a fault in the equipment that is turning on.
    The RCDs - residual current devices are the bigger ones and they detect that power is leaking to ground, but getting to the board on its return. That could be a fault with the cabling, or an internal fault with the appliance. Causing an earth neutral or earth live fault when out turns on.
    As above, any registered electrician can help.

It's the RCD.

Craftsman
    I know Ben who owns the company in question very well. We used to pass all of our domestic works onto them as we don’t get involved with domestic works. I run one of the biggest electrical companies in the area but all of my electricians are booked out solid for the next two months. I can recommend a very good local electrician who previously worked for me and he is very fair on price if you need it?

Quote Originally Posted by Essexstu View Post
    I know Ben who owns the company in question very well. We used to pass all of our domestic works onto them as we don’t get involved with domestic works. I run one of the biggest electrical companies in the area but all of my electricians are booked out solid for the next two months. I can recommend a very good local electrician who previously worked for me and he is very fair on price if you need it?
    That's very kind. I've already contacted BH, so I'll see what they find.