closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The absolute 'bonkers' watch thread

Quote Originally Posted by endo View Post
    I still kinda kick myself lol, Even made it down on the train to London with a gameplan in mind of what was going to fund it.
    (not a wasted trip, I bought some shoes, tried on the 3D printed Panerai Tourbillon, and had a sneak peek at some Roger Dubuis, did some touristing)

It was the sensbile shoes part of me that talked me out of it.
    -would I miss my old watches that'd fund it?
    -how long till i the "hypercar on the wrist" look got boring
    -would it get irritating not having hands?
    -would I even be able to move it on if I got bored, it's a marmite watch, and a lot of money so the market for bonkers watches is fairly limited.

that said....
    I'd have to agree with you, if Daytona Prices keep climbing up and another Urwerk pops up at the right price I think I'd do it.

this is tempting me atm, 36k + vat
    https://www.urwerkpreowned.com/colle...d-to-77-pieces
    I think patience is key - right watch and especially the price. It is also the risk of 'hyper' style watches, but as long as my daily's are not sold/intact then I think I'd go for it. The Daytona and some others are currently not daily wearer's so I do keep an eye if a cracking/unbelievable watch comes available.

Having said that, the bonkers watch I'm really wanting is the UN Freak-Out. I think the horological chops on that trumps the Urwerk.

Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
    If you think that's bonkers you should see their AMC model...

https://www.urwerk.com/collections/ur-chronometry/amc

the 'case' is used to set the time

So much want.....so little money.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Having said that, the bonkers watch I'm really wanting is the UN Freak-Out. I think the horological chops on that trumps the Urwerk.
    The Freak Out is definately cool, and probably more wearable on a day to day basis.
    A fellow TZer does have one (he has all the cool toys tbf), kinda hoping to see it in the flesh one day next time he's over.

The Freak Out is definately cool, and probably more wearable on a day to day basis.
    A fellow TZer does have one (he has all the cool toys tbf), kinda hoping to see it in the flesh one day next time he's over.
    TopCat highlighted the blue one, but the blacked out version I think is sublime (from 'dinkee) -

Master
    Yep that's the one I have had my eye on as well. Has the seconds on the side which I like though would have been better positioned on the other side IMO.

Craftsman
    The Jacob and Co Astronomia Sky Platinum is as insane as it is wonderful and must have one of the best boxes for a watch going. Feast yourselves on this bad boy:

https://youtu.be/gTaJmKd3Ztg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Ah a new Urwerk has just been announced ... https://shop.hodinkee.com/blogs/jour...aign=hod-posts
    $49,000 and it’s only water resistant to 30m 😝

Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    $49,000 and it’s only water resistant to 30m 
    For an Urwerk with 2 pretty pointless complications it's not that bad value....this is the bonkers thread

Quote Originally Posted by gaurav_tzuk View Post
    Tried this on in Blowers when I picked up my AP ROO. It’s a phenomenal thing but absolutely huge. My wrists aren’t the biggest (ROO is about the biggest I can get away with and even then it’s a stretch) but this thing is like a dinner plate. And it’s an eyeball. Staring at you. All. The. Time.

It’s bonkers and if I had bigger wrists I’d have one 😂😂😂

Anything by Alan Silberstein.

Spent a good while looking at them over the years, but never been in the situation to spend that much on a folly.

So you remember the 'Flow' watch that kicked off this thread? ABtW have done a hands-on of it. Still love it!

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/mbf-hm9-flow-watch/

Journeyman
    The most bonkers watch I own is a Perrelet Turbine Diver. Which includes a front rotor with a all lume dial.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Holsterman View Post
    We need Doug Demuro to show us around the quirks and features.
    I imagine it would go something like this:

“This is a video about the MB&F Horological Machine No.7 and the reason that this video is about the MB&F Horological Machine No.7 is because the MB&F Horological Machine No.7 is an absolutely bonkers watch. So here’s my top 5 bonkers things about the MB&F Horological Machine No.7 and if you didn’t already know, this bonkers looking watch is an MB&F Horological Machine No.7”

Oh Doug...

Master

Graham Brexit watch

How about the Graham Brexit watch?

One can only dream...

https://youtu.be/5ISkEUV8B7o

Quote Originally Posted by bobbee View Post
    One can only dream...

https://youtu.be/5ISkEUV8B7o
    very fine artisanal work!

I don't know if this is nearly bonkers enough to be included in this thread, but I really, really want one...

#

The Linde Wederlin Spidolite II Titanium...

Simon

This should be on the list for sure. Makes Breitling Super Avenger look like ladies' watch.

Quote Originally Posted by JPE View Post
    This should be on the list for sure. Makes Breitling Super Avenger look like ladies' watch.

What is that monstrosity?

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

I'm a huge fan of the MB&F FlyingT, particularly the "no diamonds" versions:

They're small, elegant whilst still being completely nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianwong View Post
    I'm a huge fan of the MB&F FlyingT, particularly the "no diamonds" versions:

They're small, elegant whilst still being completely nuts.
    UNLESS you wear watches on your right wrist. Then you're so screwed in reading the time.....

UNLESS you wear watches on your right wrist. Then you're so screwed in reading the time.....
    Then you'd be crazy to buy one.

Journeyman

The door frames would take a serious battering wearing that around the house

Craftsman

Great if you get into a fight to the death and need to bash someone's skull in.

New MB&F Alert!!!

New MB&F - the 'Bulldog'. Love the craziness and a very novel creation of the power reserve indicator. Absolute bonkers!!!
    https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/th...df-introducing

Master

Similar profile to my Emergency II

Craftsman
    New MB&F - the 'Bulldog'. Love the craziness and a very novel creation of the power reserve indicator. Absolute bonkers!!!
    https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/th...df-introducing

I usually love everything MB&F do but I don't really get this design. I like some of the individual features but as whole it doesn't excite me in the same way as previous horological machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Genta View Post
    I usually love everything MB&F do but I don't really get this design. I like some of the individual features but as whole it doesn't excite me in the same way as previous horological machines.
    The wrist shots make much more sense

Rebellion Weap-One Flying Tourbillon.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by j111dja View Post

I like the design of the watch but I can't get over how big it is! It's 70mm wide and 26mm high I def couldn't pull that off.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Genta View Post
    I like the design of the watch but I can't get over how big it is! It's 70mm wide and 26mm high I def couldn't pull that off.
    It's definitely bonkers.

Before I knew about watches I wore a bright red Diesel Big Daddy. Makes me shudder just thinking about it.
    But I enjoyed it at the time so hey ho.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Inspired by?

I offer up a couple of more latest entrants into this thread. If you've been asking yourself what would happen if you cross MB&F with Moser, well here you go!

First up the H Moser Endeavour cylindrical Tourbillon - https://monochrome-watches.com/h-mos...ands-on-price/

And the MB&F LM101 fume - https://monochrome-watches.com/mband...ands-on-price/

Quote Originally Posted by robt View Post
    Inspired by?

It's certainly bonkers, that's for sure

Craftsman
    [QUOTE=crazyp;5435420]I offer up a couple of more latest entrants into this thread. If you've been asking yourself what would happen if you cross MB&F with Moser, well here you go!

QUOTE]

I was looking forward to this release as I wasn't sure how the two brands would gel. I had forgotten about the legacy machine series though. These work really well imo and I particularly like the red fume dial.

And another one to the list for those that need to know the time on Mars.....(by the man who did the Joker, Chaykin) https://watchesbysjx.com/2020/06/kon...tian-time.html

And another one to the list for those that need to know the time on Mars.....(by the man who did the Joker, Chaykin) https://watchesbysjx.com/2020/06/kon...tian-time.html

The dial and hand design on this is stunning on this watch. I'd love to have seen this in a nice round steel case. What a shame about the design of this case.

The dial and hand design on this is stunning on this watch. I'd love to have seen this in a nice round steel case. What a shame about the design of this case.
    It looks very wearable if you look at the wrist shots in the sjx article. I think it fits the sci-fi theme and the novel integration of the two crowns.

It looks very wearable if you look at the wrist shots in the sjx article. I think it fits the sci-fi theme and the novel integration of the two crowns.
    It certainly looks wearable but all these corners and flat edges are not going to stand up well with knocks and general wear.

Lovely to see so many URWERK Geneve, MB&F and even Vianney Halter watches in this thread. But have you ever seen one of these?

Mysterious Automatic Double Axis Tourbillon by Thomas Prescher

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    Lovely to see so many URWERK Geneve, MB&F and even Vianney Halter watches in this thread. But have you ever seen one of these?

Mysterious Automatic Double Axis Tourbillon by Thomas Prescher
    New to me that - a bit of research shows some very clever and nifty engineering. Superb!

New to me that - a bit of research shows some very clever and nifty engineering. Superb!
    Indeed. Mystery watches and clocks are a really interesting branch of horology, and go back a long way (think Houdin and even earlier).

Mysterious Automatic Double Axis Tourbillon movement

Been a while since we've had an update on this thread. A VH I don't think we've covered -

https://quillandpad.com/2020/08/08/w...illon-reprise/

And what about a GF Art piece, phenomenal stuff - https://quillandpad.com/2020/08/08/a...anics-reprise/

Another bump, and a new entry to the bonkers thread - MB&F's perpetual machine done in a sports edition. Bloody love it.

Journeyman
    Absolutely love that MB&F - on top of everything else, really striking with that splash of color!

My contribution is the Vacheron Constantin Twin Beat Perpetual Calendar. I don’t know that I would describe it as bonkers exactly - it’s wearable, and if price were no object I would love to have one - but the style and technical ingenuity sits pretty far out from the crowd. The standby mode offering a 65 day power reserve is completely unnecessary but wonderful nonetheless. https://monochrome-watches.com/vache...ands-on-price/

7567C8FB-8232-4E44-A6A3-47DFBCB08565 by J D, on Flickr

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by Lantenac06; 13th October 2020 at 16:05.

^^^I think the 65 day power reserve elevates the watch into the bonkers category. Good choice!