closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Lume dropped off

Journeyman

Lume dropped off

Hi guys

Any one experienced this with a PO?

The lume has dropped off the 9 and managed to drop into the date wheel!

Not a happy bunny!

Thanks for your thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    I am enraged for you! This has not happend to yet, but expletives would be flying around.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Damm, thats not good!
    May I suggest that you pull out the crown, so the movement stops.
    Thus preventing any possible damage, should it drop further inside.

I've not seen that before, on my Datejust the whole baton came off and jammed the hands.
    Looks like one for the Omega Service Team - is it still under guarantee?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post
    Damm, thats not good!
    May I suggest that you pull out the crown, so the movement stops.
    Thus preventing any possible damage, should it drop further inside.
    Thanks... yes, already done. It has in fact disappeared from the date window now. Really really annoyed.

They used the cheaper pritt-stick that one Friday.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by adg31 View Post
    I've not seen that before, on my Datejust the whole baton came off and jammed the hands.
    Looks like one for the Omega Service Team - is it still under guarantee?

It’s 4 years old now. So I don’t believe so. Will be taking it in to the local dealer and see what they have to say.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by 200mwaterresistant View Post
    They used the cheaper pritt-stick that one Friday.
    it would appear so!

Journeyman

Lume dropped off

Game of Spot the lume.... guess it’s better than being in the date window!

Despite not being in warranty would it not be classed as a manufacturer defect and therefore repairable under EU law?

Lume dropped off

Quote Originally Posted by Duncanfisken View Post
    It’s 4 years old now. So I don’t believe so. Will be taking it in to the local dealer and see what they have to say.

It's certainly worth asking as it must be only just out of Guarantee - and a defect that it would be hard to blame on the owner.
    In my experience the Omega Service Team have been one of the best for helping the customer - especially if you contact them direct rather than relying on the AD.
    Good luck - and keep the crown pulled out!

Quote Originally Posted by Duncanfisken View Post

Game of Spot the lume.... guess it’s better than being in the date window!

You could have hours of fun trying to get the lume back into the hole:)

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Despite not being in warranty would it not be classed as a manufacturer defect and therefore repairable under EU law?
    Possibly. I’ll pop into to the local... or should I say ‘what was the agent’.... Mappin and Webb and see what they say. I’m not sure we have an Omega agent on Guernsey and more as the CI authorised dealer is now Goldsmiths in Jersey.

Journeyman
    Thanks for your thoughts guys. If I get no joy with Mappin I’m in London every couple of weeks so will pop to the Omega boutique in the Royal Exchange.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by adg31 View Post
    You could have hours of fun trying to get the lume back into the hole:)

Yep! Like the ball maze game as a kid!

Grand Master
    Wouldn’t expect this on a modern watch. The only possible cause I can think of is hard knock that’s put a lot of shock through the watch. That’s a problem with modern heavy watches, there’s a lot of energy to dissipate when they hit something.

Likely cause is poor adhesion of the lume to the dial, and that’s down to manufacturing. Omega sell these watches on the basis of how rugged they are, and on that premise I would argue that the lume shouldn’t drop off when the ‘ action man’ they sell the watch to subjects it to the rigours of his action- packed lifestyle.............sorry guys, forgive the sarcasm, but this is Swatch Group we’re talking about and they’re not my favourite Swiss buddys.

How will this pan out? Ideally, Omega would soak this one up and sort it out on a goodwill basis even though the warranty’s run out; I hope this happens and there’s a strong case for them doing so in my opinion. However, the cynic in me fears they’ll try to blame the owner, they’ll insist the watch is fully stripped, and they’ll charge for a replacement dial!

It’s a newish watch, a replacement dial’s the answer to get it right. Trying to relume and match it up would be OK on a vintage watch but not on this. Trying to stick the dot of lume back on isn’t ideal either, might do it on an old watch but not on this. As a precaution the movement will need striping down; if a spec of lume gets in the wrong place it’ll only cause future problems.

These watches are mass- produced, the odd quality issue will arise, but it’s the response of the manufacturer that’s important. Like the top golfer who plays a shot into a bunker, it’s the recovery that counts, thst what shows how good he really is. They could be heros and sort it out for free, or they could be villains and charge the owner for fixing it.

If they won’t fix it free of charge I’d argue for a free replacement dial and a substantial discount on the charge for the work. Not ideal but half a loaf’s better than none.

Good luck.......you might need it.

Master
    I had a similar thing occur to my IWC Mk XII. I did drop it to be fair, but only from a height of 4 inches or so, onto my desk. Half of the triangle at 12 came away and started slopping around the dial. A service including new dial came to £700+.

Oh dear never seen that before on planet ocean.would annoy the hell out of me. Is it me or is the 1 higher than the 2 at 12 o'clock or just the picture light or something just my ocd kicked in

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

As the proud owner of several Omegas that would make me pretty mad - but also determined that they sort it for free. As others have stated, that isn't wear and tear but a manufacturing defect. Stick with it!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by bokbok View Post
    Oh dear never seen that before on planet ocean.would annoy the hell out of me. Is it me or is the 1 higher than the 2 at 12 o'clock or just the picture light or something just my ocd kicked in

Now you mention it I’m not sure

Don't like right to me looks higher

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by bokbok View Post
    Don't like right to me looks higher

I agree I’m going to raise that as well. Going to look for any old pics I have of the watch.

Where’s the date wheel off to at this hour?

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    Jammed with a chunk of lume presumably

Master
    Just curious, but was it bought from an AD, or somewhere else?

I’m sure it’s a daft question but the lume itself seems to be fully intact. Could you not use a tiny bit of adhesive and just re seat it in its surround? Surely worth a go if you have to shell out for a new dial anyway.

Craftsman
    Never seen that on a newer watch ,but if a might mate trying to match it in .And what's been said a new dial is so expensive.I feel your pain....

Quote Originally Posted by ODP View Post
    I’m sure it’s a daft question but the lume itself seems to be fully intact. Could you not use a tiny bit of adhesive and just re seat it in its surround? Surely worth a go if you have to shell out for a new dial anyway.
    Not a daft question, but imo, not a solution to follow, unless you are a qualified or competent at fixing watches.
    And hopefully Omega may still fix it FOC.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    Starting to turn over, it'll complete it's journey between midnight and 10 past. This watch doesn`t feature an instantaneous date change Rolex-style!

As for the suggestions to try gluing the lume back on, that's very tricky to do and there's no guarantee it'll work. I wouldn`t know what adhesive to use if I was attempting it.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I have personally seen the indices fall off PO dials before but never just the lume!!

mike

Journeyman
    The date wheel was due to me moving the hands before I took the picture went past midnight then back again it messes with the timing of the wheel.
    Watch was bought 4 years ago. It’s a grey import full set.
    I spoke to Omega today, seems that there are two reasons for lume coming free 1. Impact damage 2. Water ingress that could have been months or years ago.
    So I believe I have the answer, I left the helium escape value open when I went swimming with the kids a couple of years ago. I must have been playing with it at work and left it in the open position!
    The watch went back to Omega at that time where they serviced it and checked over it fully. At the time they checked over the dial as the royal exchange boutique advised the dial may need replacing.... it didn’t but guessing this is a delayed reaction to the ingress.

I’m going to mail them back and ask for thoughts on the two year lag but hold out little hope.

I may then take it to a local watch company and just get the watch opened and the lose lume removed.

That way I can wear the watch and consider my options... ie will the missing lume bug me or not.

Thanks to everyone for comments and advice it’s really appreciated.

Have a good evening one and all.

Journeyman
    Hi everyone

Thanks for everyone’s comments and PM’s in regards to my lume issue.

I thought I’d just post a quick update. I’m really pleased to say Omega came though for me, the dial was replaced free of charge at the same time they completed a service and also polish the case and bracelet.

Really pleased to have the watch back and for the outcome. I can’t praise them enough.

Thanks again for everyone’s comments and help the forum really helped me.

Wishing everyone a great Christmas.

Duncan

That's a great result.

A pain to be without the watch & have 2.5 months of some hassle, but given the watch was 4 years old already, it was probably getting to the point where you might have been thinking of a routine service in the next few years anyway, so to have the watch fully-serviced (if that is what they have done) means you're probably good for another 5-7 years, at least.

Glad you got sorted, it's a cracking watch.