closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Performance cars, pre and post Brexit.....

Performance cars, pre and post Brexit.....

Well, it's that time of year and I have just sold my car, it's usually an exciting time for me looking for it's replacement but I can't help but feel a little bewildered what with all the Brexit talk.

I'm looking at a 911 (991), prices for these have been strong for a few years and the depreciation curve on them seems decent compared to other marques, but I cannot help but worry about what will happen next March.

Am I being overly nervous? Should I just buy and forget? Or are others in the same boat?

I've got access to plenty of cars so I don't really need a new one, especially if it's going to plummet in value!

Thoughts?

Cheers

That's a joke, right?

I hear the EU are going to cut off our air too, so it won't matter!

M

I suspect the full effects of Brexit will take a couple of years to take full effect so I’d crack on and buy it!
    Worry in 3 years time!

The good news is that we can return to quoting 0 - 60mph times post-Brexit.

Within the EU we were obliged to use 0 - 62mph, which equates, of course, to 0 - 100kph.

Therefore, after Brexit all UK cars will be faster.

Up yours, EU!
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

If the value of sterling continues to slump post Brexit then that will make new models more expensive underpinning the value of your car.

If the economy booms in the post-Brexit nirvana we have been promised then there will be more buyers for your car.

If there is a strong recession then I guess the value will fall but provided you are happy with the car or have leased it then it probably doesn't matter.

Whenever I am thinking of buying a car I tend to look at the lease arrangements and usually one look at the GFV in 3 years is enough to put me off - if that is an option then I would use that to see what the experts think even if buying outright.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post

Within the EU we were obliged to use 0 - 62mph, which equates, of course, to 0 - 100kph.

Up yours, EU!
    This has made it all worth it, this is great news, we’ll be shaving at least two tenths of a second off the Eu quoted figures; result! Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    The cheapest place in EU to by a new 991.2 right now is UK. Once you've factored in options & tax, the UK is equal to, if not cheaper than USA. It's been like that for a couple of years. A bit like current Rolex pricing.

The only thing is, it's near impossible to get an allocation. It's the Rolex business model.

In my opinion, the list price will spike upwards once Porsche makes an inflation/currency adjustment which it may time with the March Brexit event (is it still on?) or with the intro of the 992. I wager this will move the price of used vehicles upwards. On the hand, we might get social and financial meltdown!

Irrespective of all that, one must never forget that time here is limited. I say if you have funds, get the car and enjoy it. I have 991.1 and 991.2 and use these as daily cars and am disappointed that I didn't take the plunge into Porsche ownership earlier in life.
    Last edited by Monkey Queen; 24th September 2018 at 17:53.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Queen View Post
    The cheapest place in EU to by a new 991.2 right now is UK. Once you've factored in options & tax, the UK is equal to, if not cheaper than USA. It's been like that for a couple of years. A bit like current Rolex pricing.

The only thing is, it's near impossible to get an allocation. It's the Rolex business model.

In my opinion, the list price will spike upwards once Porsche makes an inflation/currency adjustment which it may time with the March Brexit event (is it still on?) or with the intro of the 992. I wager this will move the price of used vehicles upwards. On the hand, we might get social and financial meltdown!

Irrespective of all that, one must never forget that time here is limited. I say if you have funds, get the car and enjoy it. I have 991.1 and 991.2 and use these as daily cars and am disappointed that I didn't take the plunge into Porsche ownership earlier in life.
    Well put!

Can I ask your opinion of 991.1 vs 991.2? I’m hearing mixed reports and wondering whether it is worth upping the budget or not.

Cheers

Master
    991.1 being the last generation of non-turbos might keep used prices strong. Don’t forget the sports exhaust option though :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Prices for the 991.1 have been solid due to the last of the NA. I bought mine 3 years ago and they’re still selling for what I paid for it. Does your dad still have his ?

I don't think much will change post brexit in the 2nd hand market.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gilford View Post
    Well put!

Can I ask your opinion of 991.1 vs 991.2? I’m hearing mixed reports and wondering whether it is worth upping the budget or not.

Cheers
    991.1 GTS 3.8 NA PDK (2015) v 991.2 T 3.0t 7MT (2018) - Both are 2WD coupe, non-sunroof cars.

When I took delivery of the T my wife encouraged me to keep the GTS until I was sure that I was happy for it to go.
    It's tough to split them - they're very different to drive and both accomplished. The 991.1 GTS comes alive at driving ban speeds whereas the 991.2 t is the more involving car at sane speeds. If you can get a car in a Paint To Sample (PTS) colour then jackpot - they will always find a buyer. I went PTS on the fist car, but with the second car it wasn't an option.

I will sell the 991.1 GTS and it should sell easily, and then I will regret doing so. I've had 2 neighbours knock on the door asking to purchase and unsolicited interest from elsewhere.
    If you're going for a 991.1, the GTS was my favourite spec and looks to be in demand as long as it has the two optional GTS interior packs. It's residual value should stay firmer than the newer 991.2.
    As for 991.2, I preferred the T variant over the more powerful .2 GTS which is bonkers fast and way faster than the .1 GTS. Too fast for fun.
    I've also driven a few base 991.1 and 991.2 and they're terrific. I really don't think there are any duff models in the coupe range.

Sound: Normal driving, equal. Driving in anger, GTS wins (991.1) and oh what a noise over 5k. Keep the revs up.
    Transmission: 7MT winner (991.2). I got bored of the PDK.
    Torque: No contest - 3.0t (991.2).
    Everyday car: Either. Perhaps 3.0t edges ahead a little (991.2)
    Sunday-only / Track car: 991.1

Monkey your wife is a keeper!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post

Up yours, EU!
    At last a reason to back 'vote leave'.

n2
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Queen View Post
    991.1 GTS 3.8 NA PDK (2015) v 991.2 T 3.0t 7MT (2018) - Both are 2WD coupe, non-sunroof cars.

When I took delivery of the T my wife encouraged me to keep the GTS until I was sure that I was happy for it to go.
    It's tough to split them - they're very different to drive and both accomplished. The 991.1 GTS comes alive at driving ban speeds whereas the 991.2 t is the more involving car at sane speeds. If you can get a car in a Paint To Sample (PTS) colour then jackpot - they will always find a buyer. I went PTS on the fist car, but with the second car it wasn't an option.
    Don’t understand why any PTS car is more desirable - why would I want someone else’s choice of a colour, just because it’s unique?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Don’t understand why any PTS car is more desirable - why would I want someone else’s choice of a colour, just because it’s unique?
    It's a double edged situation - firstly the car/spec. and if the colour makes it more unique then that is the deal.

Would you buy a Porsche, more so if it was PTS?.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman
    You may or may not depending on you.

But only half a percent of production is PTS, and there are enough people that want something different or unusual to keep demand high.

Akin to a bit of red writing on a Sea-Dweller or a funny shaped '4' on a Kermit.

The colour isn't important compared to the rest of the car. But have a choice of two similar cars, with one that the buyer considers to be a boring stock colour and the other in a colour that the buyer likes or values, then one will sell more easily than the other.

Can’t see myself ever affording a Porsche but any other car I’d buy the specs/colour I liked.

On such an expensive ‘investment’ I can see though that resale value comes into play.

Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    Prices for the 991.1 have been solid due to the last of the NA. I bought mine 3 years ago and they’re still selling for what I paid for it. Does your dad still have his ?
    No, I sold it for him around 4 years ago as he was diagnosed with prostate cancer and it was uncomfortable for him, he moved to a Cayenne GTS and now has a Macan Turbo.

Shocking thing is the car is still worth the same money, hence why I’m toying with the idea of getting another after 10 years out.

I’ve always loved them but my Wife detests the persona that comes with them, I’m sick of buying new performance Audi’s and BMW’s as they are all starting to look the same, and with a few options ticked you are at 911 money anyway.

I’m 40 now, time to have that mid life crisis while I can, who knows what’s round the corner.

Craftsman
    Monkey your wife is a keeper!!!
    Ha! She thinks so too.

I’ve always loved them but my Wife detests the persona that comes with them, I’m sick of buying new performance Audi’s and BMW’s as they are all starting to look the same, and with a few options ticked you are at 911 money anyway.

I’m 40 now, time to have that mid life crisis while I can, who knows what’s round the corner.
    In my view, 911s are in another league to fast Audis (short of the R8) and BMWs. I don’t think you’d regret changing tack.

Brexit wouldn’t come into my thought process unless there was a chance it might directly affect my job.

FWIW, I think Monkey Queen is spot-on with his comparison of 991.1 GTS vs 991.2 T.

Master
    I know I’m selling a Porsche so could look biased, but honestly, these cars are all about the options. The T vs GTS is a great comparison. To most people, they’re the same car, but they really aren’t.

When I first started trying Boxsters out, I found them unexciting on such a short test drive, but when I tested mine, I couldn’t believe the difference that the Exhaust alone made to the experience. Suddenly, it howled and made all these great noises that transformed the car, plus the extra sport mode made a huge difference too.

Porsche really are like Rolex. There’s loads of them everywhere, and for some it’s because of the badge, but others buy them because they’re genuinely excellent cars; they just seem to be everywhere which will put some people off buying them.

I’m yet to drive a modern 911 but I imagine it’s an incredible car. The GT models are where the value-holding is at though.
    Last edited by W44NNE; 25th September 2018 at 08:57.

No, I sold it for him around 4 years ago as he was diagnosed with prostate cancer and it was uncomfortable for him, he moved to a Cayenne GTS and now has a Macan Turbo.

Shocking thing is the car is still worth the same money, hence why I’m toying with the idea of getting another after 10 years out.

Sorry to hear , hope he's doing better mate.

I was close to selling my 911 last year have two kids , a new born and the other 2 years old meant I had only done about 1300 miles per year for 2 years. After I saw the prices I decided to keep it as like you have seen they just haven't dropped.

I am looking to replace the wife's Cayenne with the Macan Turbo now we're not so reliant on pushchairs. Does your dad like the Turbo?

If I remember correcly your last 911 was the 996. They're bigger cars now but more comfortable too. The 991 in any guise gen 1 or gen 2 is really nice place to be in. I do long drives in it now and find it comfrotable. Loads of toys too.

Do it you - you won't regret and I doubt you'll lose any where near as other cars when you come to sell.
    Last edited by eagletower; 25th September 2018 at 12:38.

Sorry to hear , hope he's doing better mate.

I was close to selling my 911 last year have two kids , a new born and the other 2 years old meant I had only done about 1300 miles per year for 2 years. After I saw the prices I decided to keep it as like you have seen they just haven't dropped.

I am looking to replace the wife's Cayenne with the Macan Turbo now we're not so reliant on pushchairs. Does your dad like the Turbo?

If I remember correcly your last 911 was the 996. They're bigger cars now but more comfortable too. The 991 in any guise gen 1 or gen 2 is really nice place to be in. I do long drives in it now and find it comfrotable. Loads of toys too.

Do it you - you won't regret and I doubt you'll lose any where near as other cars when you come to sell.
    He's doing ok, thanks for asking, they are monitoring him closely (private health care) and touch wood so far so good.

He's had the Turbo a couple of years now (I got it him new when the revised PCM was introduced), he loves it but he's now looking at hybrid Cayenne's, he's going very green in his old age! lol

I had a 996 C4s 11 years ago, loved it but got rid as my Wife was expecting, bought an M5 and have had various M's and RS cars since. My Dad's was a 991.1 (bought new in 2012) and I loved it, I was tempted to buy it at the time but couldn't justify then, wish I had now :-(

What 911 do you have? Looking to sell? I know someone who's in the market ;-)

Spent a few hours in a friends 997.2 GTS cabriolet which is a nice car ( though cab wouldn’t be for me)
    Under 1000 made in all variants should work well for resale I would think?

He's doing ok, thanks for asking, they are monitoring him closely (private health care) and touch wood so far so good.

He's had the Turbo a couple of years now (I got it him new when the revised PCM was introduced), he loves it but he's now looking at hybrid Cayenne's, he's going very green in his old age! lol

I had a 996 C4s 11 years ago, loved it but got rid as my Wife was expecting, bought an M5 and have had various M's and RS cars since. My Dad's was a 991.1 (bought new in 2012) and I loved it, I was tempted to buy it at the time but couldn't justify then, wish I had now :-(

What 911 do you have? Looking to sell? I know someone who's in the market ;-)
    Good to hear he's doing better.

Mine is a 2012 Carrera , it's just the Carrera so far too tame for you! It was my first 911 and it had the colour combo and all options I wanted . Oddly it would have been cheaper for the first owner to just buy an S. But he bought it pretty much specced it as a S , S alloys, sports exhaust, chrono pack as well as Bose, sunroof, multi function steering wheel, light pack , front and rear sensors and more options.

Not for sale at the moment , I couldn't afford a replacement!

Can’t see myself ever affording a Porsche but any other car I’d buy the specs/colour I liked.

On such an expensive ‘investment’ I can see though that resale value comes into play.
    I’ve always been a Porsche fan ( not a die hard petrol head though), but as my 10 year old son keeps me “if you had all the money in the world, what car would you buy ? and I always answer “Porsche, any model” I’ve just always wanted one for as long as I can remember.

Looking on Autotrader and local car sites the early Boxsters are starting around £3.5k and the 924’s and 944’s are staring around there too, so not as out of reach as you may think. I’d happily drive any of them. Although I only live 2.5 miles from work, I did 68 miles in the last fortnight :-)

I think the 987 Boxster is a brilliant buy, a fairly modern Porsche, can be driven daily. Starts at under £10k.

2 friends had one and they are excellent value for money in my opinion.

Does anyone have any experience with the Panamera? I often wonder what I’d replace my Subaru with, and I’ve just noticed they do a 4wd version,,,,

(Day-dreaming in reality!)

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with the Panamera? I often wonder what I’d replace my Subaru with, and I’ve just noticed they do a 4wd version,,,,

(Day-dreaming in reality!)
    My uncle has one, latest model but hybrid version. Goes well and is pure class inside, the extras on it cost nearly what my car cost though! For the money I'd pick something else personally.

I’m toying with buying a friends 2011 40k mile 987.2 Cayman s. The thing is specced up to the Max. Pdk with flappys, sports chrono, sports steering wheel, sports seats, heated seats, black spyder alloy wheels, pcm3, parking sensors, and lots more.. OPC want around £30k for similar cars and they are around £26k upwards on autotrader. I can buy it for around £22.5k. I’m aware it’s not a 911 but looking at similar specced 911s the same age and options your looking at £50k so double the price. May have a go and see how I get on. Weekend toy anyhow so won’t be a daily. Be nice to get across to France in this for a few road trips next year.

Last edited by Yeti; 26th September 2018 at 07:03.

Master
    I had a 991.1 C2S with sports exhaust about 3 years ago and loved it. In terms of prices it is still now about the same price as when I bought it back then so just rock solid. Not really sure why I sold it tbh........

I very nearly bought a 991.1 Turbo S about 15 months ago but bought my Bentley GT instead. As much as I love the Bentley it is nowhere near as much fun/exciting as the Turbo S and again I have lost a fair bit on the Bentley but the Turbo has stayed about the same. It will be my next car for sure (or maybe 991.2....)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk