closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New Fuel labeling system

Banned
    Blog Entries

Exclamation New Fuel labeling system

Per 12 Oktober fuel labeling will be required to be uniform.
    While in itself a great idea doing away with the wonderful but bewildering fantasy names invented by the marketing departments, it does also involve a change to new fuel types.

In the petrol labeling there is nó cross reference to the Ontane number p.e.
    If your car or the manual has no indiction which type to use than ask your dealer. This is especially important for those cars needing RON98.

With diesels it is easier as basically all can use B7 and B10. Only XTL can only be tanked if the instructions thus specify. In case of doubt check with your dealer.

Though it does not seem to have a side agenda to get rid of older vehicles, the older vehicles are not taken into account.
    Since in some EU countries the average age of the car park is 15 years, it is not good husbandry.

This is more striking perhaps with an example. Take a 2007 Lexus GS300. It cannot use either E5 or E10 nor E85 and must use Euro98.

Premium unleaded or super unleaded seems to cover the petrol side of things in the UK.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Premium unleaded or super unleaded seems to cover the petrol side of things in the UK.

R
    http://www.fuel-identifiers.eu/docs/QA-consumers-EN.pdf

It is up to the UK to decide the way in
    which EU rules will apply after Brexit,
    but newly produced vehicles will have
    the labels fitted on the production line
    so vehicles entering the UK market will
    continue to have the labels

also the change is effective per 12 Okt and Brexit earlies 29 March 2019.

Pretty sure I'll still just go to the petrol station and put 'petrol' into my car with no problems.

Edit: This really is just creating work for the sake of it / dumbing things down for morons who don't know what fuel their cars take. We don't need this in the UK, we're doing fine apart from the odd housewife doped up on Valium and a midday glass-or-two of Prosecco who goes out to pick the kids up from school and is too busy taking selfies and doing her make-up at the wheel to remember which colour pump to pick up.
    Last edited by 200mwaterresistant; 24th September 2018 at 17:55.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 200mwaterresistant View Post
    Pretty sure I'll still just go to the petrol station and put 'petrol' into my car with no problems.

Edit: This really is just creating work for the sake of it / dumbing things down for morons who don't know what fuel their cars take. We don't need this in the UK, we're doing fine apart from the odd housewife doped up on Valium and a midday glass-or-two of Prosecco who goes out to pick the kids up from school and is too busy taking selfies and doing her make-up at the wheel to remember which colour pump to pick up.
    Jobs for the boys.... generate a load of unessesary rules and regs, make it law, prosecute and fine people that don’t comply.

The world is full of this type of BS

Banned
    Blog Entries
    dumbing things down for morons who don't know what fuel their cars take.
    That is actually in the leaflet.

The UK does not need it more or less than any of the EU28 and particpated in drawing this up.

For those never leaving the isles it will be needless change.
    For those travelling a lot through the EU28 the plethora of fantasy labels is highly amusing, for the incidental traveller rather less so.

Make no mistake; the latter is largely the red herring as the real reason is the way cheaper simplification for the industry.

Btw, if you know your car cannot take the biothingus, like the ´older´ Lexii, you are rather stuffed when the Euro98 (or whatever is called in whichever country) is phased out as is already happening alarmingly fast.
    For my two older cars I will use E5, the current Euro95 and add an octane booster.
    My two diesels are ok with up to 100 biodiesel but not with synthetic.

Any modern petrol car will run on any of the petrols - just lower performance and no issue short term.

Biodiesel is the issue for some - easy to spot.

Older cars need an additive to substitute the lack of lead.

Will all be irrelevant when 'leccy becomes the norm.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Jobs for the boys.... generate a load of unessesary rules and regs, make it law, prosecute and fine people that don’t comply.

The world is full of this type of BS
    Enoch you speak my sort of language. Please tell, do you own a big corporation and can I work there?

Storm meets teacup.

Master
    Enoch you speak my sort of language. Please tell, do you own a big corporation and can I work there?
    Not clever enough I’m afraid..... good at spotting BS when I come across it though👍

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Any modern petrol car will run on any of the petrols - just lower performance and no issue short term.

Biodiesel is the issue for some - easy to spot.

Older cars need an additive to substitute the lack of lead.

Will all be irrelevant when 'leccy becomes the norm.
    Correct.....mostly!

The benefits of tetraethyl lead on valve seat recession were generally overstated, there’s a strong case for running cars with no additive, it’ll take a long time for the valve seats to recess and if that happens hardened seats can be fitted when the head’s overhauled. The lower octane rating of todays petrol doesn’t tell the whole story, the composition of petrol differs significantly compared to ‘proper’ 70s fuel, and it doesn’t necessarily follow that an octane booster will be required to run a car designed for 98 octane on modern 95.

The suppliers have messed around with fuel composition for several years; I recall having problems with pinking when using normal unleaded in my TR6, but the following summer the problems went away completely despite me changing nothing on the car! Strongly suspect the fuel changed in some way.

As I understand it, the current changes involve the introduction of ethanol at levels up to 10%. There are concerns that rubber parts may suffer, not sure how valid this is but it’s certainly being raised. The ethanol also allows water to dissolve into the fuel to some degree and potentially this may lead to corrosion. I remain unconvinced on this point, but I may be wrong!

I agree about electric cars.......eventually! I think we’re a long way off yet, but it’ll come.

I recall reading Audi brocures several years ago and studying the 0-60 times ( I like 0-60 data), in the small print was a statement that all performance figures were achieved using super- unleaded fuel at 98 Octane.........could this add another twist to the ‘0-60 gate’ debate?...........Wayne and Skyman take note

Blog Entries

This. Unless you're running some ancient Daf in a Spanish backwater where the local petrol station only has 3 pumps I can't see a problem. Drive to Sainsbury's, fill up, go for breakfast.