closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Knife/tool for my key ring

Master

Knife/tool for my key ring

Hello everyone. Following on from the entertaining EDC thread I've realised that I'd like a tool to add to my keyring. Does anybody have a recommendation, please? I think that I'd like the tool to have a knife, pliers, scissors, can and bottle opener, the usual screwdrivers and tweezers. The Leatherman Squirt and Micra seem likely candidates but pictures I've seen of the Squirt in hand do make it look tiny! Thanks in advance to all for any help or advice.

Had a squirt for years, it's great.

I guess you keep your keys in your pockets?

If so, you don't want anything big.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

The squirt is an excellent tool. As seikopath says you don’t want anything larger on your key ring.

Craftsman
    Doesn't have everything you're after but I ended up with a Spyderco bug and a keytool. Advantage is they don't really make your keys much bigger.

I am going to forget the Spyderco is there and lose it at an airport customs check at some point....

Pliers are surprisingly capable for such a small tool

Don’t discount the Leatherman Micra and Style. Pros and cons with both, Micra has more screwdrivers, great scissors, very well made, some folks don’t like that you can only access tools by opening main tool. Style has externally accessible tools, same great scissors as Micra but only one screwdriver. Biggest plus with Style is that it has a combined carabiner/bottle opener on end of tool which makes it incredibly easy to clip on and off keys, plus open bottles obvs. It’s also slightly lighter than Micra (approx half an ounce). I have both and love both.

https://youtu.be/K2aBzCQ46S0
    Last edited by MattMM; 24th September 2018 at 15:15.

Can I put in a word for the Utilikey? Inconspicuous on a keyring and cheap as chips so if the airport security monkeys find it you can toss it in their bin without a care.

I had a micra for ages and it was great, but I lost it when flying. Replaced it with a Gerber Shard for a fly safe alternative, and apart from the lack of scissors and a real blade it's been fine.

The Squirt line is tiny, but very capable. As noted above, the pliers are very useful and pretty stout for the size. The knife blade is well under any limits imposed by airlines etc. but it really is up to the security staff it seems. I carry it in addition to a Victorinox SAK and usually a dedicated non-locking pocket knife.

Squirt always go in the hold. No takey no chances. Not since I saw a guy at a car boot who basically made his living selling stock he bought at auction that had been confiscated at airports. *

*not related to anyone on here, honest.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Not really what you're after because it's only got a (very small) blade, but I think the Spyderco bug is brilliant. It's smaller than most keys bit is really useful for opening parcels, cutting string and plastic ties etc.

Victorinox classic or manager are nice and very pocket friendly

Journeyman
    SwissCard Classic Red.. credit card size..perfect for your wallet...£20 approx..

Ernie

Master
    Thanks for the feedback. Plenty of food for thought here - and it looks as though I may end of with a card and a keychain tool - of course :)

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Wasn’t a respectable retired gentleman (former army officer IIRC) hung out to dry a few years ago for the heinous crime of carrying one of those Swiss cards on Eurostar? Because it has a (tiny) fixed blade. A shame, I carried one in my wallet for many years before the airport security madness really set in.

I go with a Swiss army knife for keychain use. I have one which has a built in LED and pen, also an Alox classic and the Minichamp. I do have a Micra too but it tends to get left at home.

I've had a Victorinox Classic SD for the last 20 years. Very handy little tool that lives permanently in my pocket. My other slightly bulkier tools tend to end up in various bags, and then get forgotten about!

Master
    Another Squirt here.
    Bought them for my wedding party as gifts 7-8years ago & the feedback has been overwhelming;y good.

Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Another vote for the Leatherman, but I use the Micra with the scissors, rather than the Squirt, with the pliers. But I also have a Victorinox Spartan on my keyring, and I use that a lot. Both cases, in the hold!

Master
    I currently have the Gerber Dime in my pocket, cheap as chips and has been use a lot more than I would have thought.

Titanium Bandit

Like many here, I have a Squirt on my keyring.

If I'm 'travelling light' I'll leave it behind, but I also have the remarkable 'titanium Bandit' which is a tiny lock-knife about 2.5cm long, and perfect for opening packages etc, etc. Beautifully made and sharp as you like.

Best wishes,
    Martyn.