closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Dress GS

Dress GS

All

Hoping to tap in to the collective wisdom on Grand Seiko. My WTB for a SBGW003/031 or similar hasn’t had much success, so I’d like to know if there’s anything else that I’m missing. Criteria (admittedly, very narrow) are as follows:

Must haves:
    1. <40mm diameter
    2. >43mm lug height
    3. Off-white or cream dial
    4. <11mm case height

Must not have:
    1. Day indicator
    2. Outre lug profile / case flanks

Don’t care about:
    1. Movement within (I’m a great fan of all GS movements, so it can be quartz, manual, auto)
    2. Date indicator

All thoughts appreciated. Many tahnks :)

Master
    First off, given your criteria, I'd go quartz. They're significantly cheaper yet you get identical levels of finishing. They're also probably the only ones that'll fit your height requirement - most, if not all, the spring drives and automatics tend to be relatively thick.

The SBGX059 springs to mind but there's also an ivory coloured version. Both are 36mm iirc. I've tried the 059 and, as you'd expect given the dimensions, it's exceptionally comfortable.

Master
    Had a quick look - SBGX209 is the ivory dial.

Craftsman
    Maybe it's worth checking out Credor's as well, if you're open to it.

Quote Originally Posted by ColDaspin View Post
    Had a quick look - SBGX209 is the ivory dial.
    Your logic is so unimpeachable that I have had the SBGX009. The only problem is the lug-to-lug: it doesn’t work with my particular wrist shape and causes the watch to rotate way up the top of the wrist (it’s me, not the watch). If the SBGX009/209 came with more drawn lugs (a la Patek 6000), I would be looking no further...

Quote Originally Posted by vcarter View Post
    Maybe it's worth checking out Credor's as well, if you're open to it.
    Absolutely open to Credor, though haven’t seen them with the creamy dial. And more of them seem to use the SBGX009 case (see issue above...)

I used to have an SGBV005 and it's one of the watches I regret flipping. Ticks most of your boxes.

Here was mine.

https://timelessluxwatches.com/revie...gv005-sbgv007/

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    Absolutely open to Credor, though haven’t seen them with the creamy dial. And more of them seem to use the SBGX009 case (see issue above...)
    This one is shell dial, not creamy, but looks great imo.

https://www.chrono24.com/seiko/credo...-id9033049.htm

Master
    If you want a proper GS dress watch then the latest version was this...38.5mm, 10mm thick, manual wind, cream dial....a design straight from the company;s first ever models.

None of the modern automatics can match these as a true dress watch. Sold mine through SC to a nice guy in Holland. Rather miss it. The earlier version was about 36mm but 38mm works rather well. A seriously cool watch, to me anyway. All sold-out , but they pop up occasionally.
    Won't be cheap, but it has a purity hard to replicate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by paskinner; 24th September 2018 at 14:22.

In my view, the SBGV009 is the perfect modern Grand Seiko in every respect. The only problem is that it was a limited production run and they are fairly thin on the ground.

Martin

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    If you want a proper GS dress watch then the latest version was this...38.5mm, 10mm thick, manual wind, cream dial....a design straight from the company;s first ever models.

None of the modern automatics can match these as a true dress watch. Sold mine through SC to a nice guy in Holland. Rather miss it. The earlier version was about 36mm but 38mm works rather well. A seriously cool watch, to me anyway. All sold-out , but they pop up occasionally.

Crikey i just checked out the latest as that is stunning (SBGW251 if i'm correct but may be wrong?). £30K for the platinum though so you'd need pockets a lot deeper than mine that's for sure.

Master
    Hold out for the SBGW031 - iv'e got a SBGW035 and it's spectacular.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, Japan is a very good source for these (lower prices too).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WillHarris2306 View Post
    Crikey i just checked out the latest as that is stunning (SBGW251 if i'm correct but may be wrong?). £30K for the platinum though so you'd need pockets a lot deeper than mine that's for sure.
    In steel,model 253, and £5,500 retail, but limited edition and sold out, I think. They also did gold and platinum...a platinum version sold recently for about £20,000 from a UK dealer. Too rich for my blood! You might get a 253 for under £4000. Not really sure .
    Incidentally, I've also had the 035. Both a pleasure to own; the 035 has a slightly deeper dial colour, but the size of the 253 is more suitable for many wrists. They're all similar re-issues of the same design. Same movement too, but the 253 comes with an individual performance chart for the watch.
    Last edited by paskinner; 24th September 2018 at 18:32.

Master
    Blog Entries

Loveley watch, Deacons have one in the window.

Craftsman
    I love Grand Seiko and everything they represent, just haven't had the balls to buy one yet. Will do one day when I can afford it.

Fancy a hi-beat for some reason....

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Grand Seiko sbgr061 amazing watch. Classically beautiful. On a brown strap the face looks cream on a black the dial looks white.

Many thanks to all for the detailed responses so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavbaz View Post
    I used to have an SGBV005 and it's one of the watches I regret flipping. Ticks most of your boxes.
    Here was mine.

https://timelessluxwatches.com/revie...gv005-sbgv007/
    Thank you. That is absolutely stunning, and certainly is on the shortlist. I would have two follow-up questions on this one: first, how did you find the profile and case height? Second, do you know if it had a stablemate with a solid cream dial rather than sunburst (I know, I know, I'm like the princess and the pea!)

Quote Originally Posted by vcarter View Post
    This one is shell dial, not creamy, but looks great imo.
    A very nice Credor, but one (of many) that appears to share the short-lugged case of the SBGX009. I've had the SBGX009. It is pretty much my platonic ideal of what a dress watch should be, but it needs 5mm more in lug-to-lug to work for me. This case size/shape is out... more's the pity.

Now you tell us that the dial was off-white?

I remember being sorely tempted by your original and follow-up listings, such a beautiful watch at a great price too. I guess it was just my ignorance of the reference, but if you had mentioned that the dial was off-white I would have bought this in a heartbeat, the moment it appeared on SC. Now I'm feeling a bit silly for not asking the question and assuming it was hard white!!

Quote Originally Posted by MartinCRC View Post
    In my view, the SBGV009 is the perfect modern Grand Seiko in every respect. The only problem is that it was a limited production run and they are fairly thin on the ground.
    Martin
    They'r exceptionally handsome, but I want a warm dial rather than the cool of the silver.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeeb1 View Post
    Grand Seiko sbgr061 amazing watch. Classically beautiful. On a brown strap the face looks cream on a black the dial looks white.
    I agree these are smashing looking in almost every respect, but they're just too thick for me. It's the only thing that I dislike about GS, a seemingly wilful pursuit of thick/high cases, particularly in the the mechanical lines.