closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Recently had a garden studio built

Recently had a garden studio built

Thought I would share some pics of a garden studio we recently had built. Landscaping to come next, along with some more bits and pieces to complete the inside. This is also an excuse to try Tapatalk for the first time and see if I can add some pics.

Cheers

Foggy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    That is lovely.

What construction materials were used?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

That looks amazing! Pics are working well, too.

May I ask about the dimensions? I’d like something similar but it would have to be big enough for a pool table like yours

That’s brilliant! Congratulations! It looks really high quality and a nice big size.

Did it heat up much during hot weather? I ask because I have something similar in my garden—a soundproof recording studio—and it gets quite hot in the summer. The soundproofing means I can’t install a fixed air con unit or noise will leak out (I use a portable unit and run the pipe out the door just when I need to). I’ve been wondering whether all these garden units tend to get hot in the sun, or if it’s all the sound insulation in mine that makes it worse.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks.

Ours was built by a company called Green Retreats. Cladding is Scandinavian Redwood, with a honey coloured stain to add some warmth to the colour. The building is made in their factory and then the panels are effectively put together on site (that's over simplifying it a little). The panels are quite well insulated with RockWool and PhotonWrap, and the internal walls are melamine, so easy to keep clean etc. The pitched roof is steel with a coated expiry resin. Doors and windows are pilkington double glazed units. The flooring is oak laminate, again easy to maintain.

Motor blinds inside that cover the patio doors. Lighting is via two panel lights and a three spot strip light over the pool table.

Size wise, this one is 6 metres wide by 4 metres deep, so plenty of room for the pool table and other bits and pieces.

I am sure it could all be done cheaper if you know how, but the company were a pleasure to work with from start to finish. We're very pleased with it.

Cheers

Foggy

Quote Originally Posted by o u t a t i m e View Post
    That’s brilliant! Congratulations! It looks really high quality and a nice big size.

Did it heat up much during hot weather? I ask because I have something similar in my garden—a soundproof recording studio—and it gets quite hot in the summer. The soundproofing means I can’t install a fixed air con unit or noise will leak out (I use a portable unit and run the pipe out the door just when I need to). I’ve been wondering whether all these garden units tend to get hot in the sun, or if it’s all the sound insulation in mine that makes it worse.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    It's pretty warm when the sun has been on it all day, particularly as ours is south facing. It's fine inside with the patio doors open but that does defeat the object of any sound proofing ;-) Ours has nothing extra in terms of sound proofing and it is pretty quiet from outside, but we're not blasting out music at super high volume.

Today was the first day since install where I went down to the studio and thought it was a little on the cool side, although nothing that a quick blast with the oil filled radiator won't deal with in a short amount of time.

Next summer I will monitor how hot it gets in there, but I think a ceiling fan will be sufficient for our needs, rather than having to go down the air con route.

Cheers

Foggy

Blog Entries
    Looks great. I can't put a thing like that in my garden and decorate it as a man-cave. My wife will confiscate the building and use it as her office, leaving me the garage

Kidding aside: I live in an area with a protected city view (surely there's another term for it, but I don't know the correct term). I am not even allowed to cut down or remove my Fagus sylvatica hedge! (Luckily I have no intention to do so).

Are you planning a heater system as well or will you keep the oil filled radiator?

Quote Originally Posted by Thom4711 View Post
    That looks amazing! Pics are working well, too.

May I ask about the dimensions? I’d like something similar but it would have to be big enough for a pool table like yours
    We're only a county across from you, in West Sussex, so if you're ever passing, you're more than welcome to take a look.

Cheers

Foggy

Master
    looks lovely. Very jealous of the pool table. Did you buy that from a company or used?

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    looks lovely. Very jealous of the pool table. Did you buy that from a company or used?
    Thanks. Pool table was bought new, from Liberty Games.

Cheers

Foggy

A couple more pics.

Owl1
    needs a bar .

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Very nice Ian!!!

Love it, and would like to do the same one day soon. In terms of base, did they use a plinth system or a solid concrete base, looks floating to me which would be my preference too.

Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    Love it, and would like to do the same one day soon. In terms of base, did they use a plinth system or a solid concrete base, looks floating to me which would be my preference too.
    Plinth system, so floating as you say, which allows air to circulate underneath.

Cheers

Foggy

Looks great Ian!

I don't see a huge amp or guitar though?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Looks great, would be interested to know the final build cost to compare it with my build.

I approve of the Divine Comedy poster also.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Very nice Ian, I'd love a space like that! What's your connection with Little London? A mate of mine lives there

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    Very nice Ian, I'd love a space like that! What's your connection with Little London? A mate of mine lives there
    In this instance "Little London" is the name of a road in my home town. The sign is an original sign which was disposed of when the City Council refreshed the City with completely new signs throughout. My Dad got it for me many years ago and as such it is a fond memory of Dad, who passed away two years ago. We also used to partake in a father and son pool competition every Christmas eve, amongst a group of us who all met up once and year, and Dad and I won the trophy that last Christmas before he passed. We had all been meeting up every year for the past 30 or so years. The modest trophy remains with me, and will have a pride of place in the studio.

Cheers

Foggy

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Looks great Ian!

I don't see a huge amp or guitar though?
    Ha that was my first thought too.

Great use of the space, wish we had enough room for something like that!

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy View Post
    In this instance "Little London" is the name of a road in my home town. The sign is an original sign which was disposed of when the City Council refreshed the City with completely new signs throughout. My Dad got it for me many years ago and as such it is a fond memory of Dad, who passed away two years ago. We also used to partake in a father and son pool competition every Christmas eve, amongst a group of us who all met up once and year, and Dad and I won the trophy that last Christmas before he passed. We had all been meeting up every year for the past 30 or so years. The modest trophy remains with me, and will have a pride of place in the studio.

Cheers

Foggy
    I thought the Little London sign must have some personal significance, a nice memory of dad then

It's also the name of a village near Tadley, Hampshire where my mate has lived for the past 30 odd years!

Looks good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New path and turf now laid. We're nearly there....

Master
    Blog Entries
    It's nice when a project like this nears completion - very smart!

Very nice!

That looks fantastic.

The company who installed our studio took some pics recently for their website. A bit better than my amateur efforts.

Last one here is mine and shows a recent addition.

Craftsman

I want one!!
    Looks amazing

Actually the missus has been looking at a Garden office,ideally a composite/insulated "no maintenance" structure but balked at the quote of..£23000!Plus 800 quid for a concrete base!

What would be the upkeep on this,regarding the cladding,a lick of stain/varnish every other year?

Looks like we will be converting the garage instead and buying a bloody big shed to put all the crap out of the garage in.

I absolutely love this Foggy, you must be very pleased. May I ask a rough cost all in, and whether it was a kit or bespoke build?

If we cannot find a house with a suitable music/audio room I am considering a studio in the backyard. It needs to be sizeable though at 5 x7m with at least 8 and preferably 9ft ceilings. Most kits I have seen do not go that big and none look as good as yours.

Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    with at least 8 and preferably 9ft ceilings.
    I think out houses are planning permission exempt if they remain a maximum of 2400mm (8 feet)

And I agree, the one featured here looks totally fantastic.

Master
    OP, who handled issues such as planning permission & Building Control sign off? Were there any issues with fireproofing & distance to boundaries/fences?

Now THAT's a shed!

Amazing - I'm (very) jealous!

Cheers,

Mark C

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    I think out houses are planning permission exempt if they remain a maximum of 2400mm (8 feet)

And I agree, the one featured here looks totally fantastic.
    I think you are correct Reggie, and with a floor area <25m2. I will probably need a permit so may as well go for the higher ceiling if the budget allows.

Journeyman
    looks superb, roughly how much was the shed?

Quite a few questions have appeared, so rather than type out an essay in reply, all the answers are included better than I can answer in the website of the company who did ours, here

https://www.greenretreats.co.uk

Ours is the inspiration model.

Cheers

Foggy

Master
    Quite a few questions have appeared, so rather than type out an essay in reply, all the answers are included better than I can answer in the website of the company who did ours, here

I have to say the website seems a bit confused about PP & Building Control. While it's true that PP may not be required the Building Regulations still apply & any structure under between 15 & 30 sqm should either be 1m from the boundary or made of inflammable material. It's probably not an issue unless a neighbour complains or you want to sell the house & the vendor wants to see the BR sign-off.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    I have to say the website seems a bit confused about PP & Building Control. While it's true that PP may not be required the Building Regulations still apply & any structure under between 15 & 30 sqm should either be 1m from the boundary or made of inflammable material. It's probably not an issue unless a neighbour complains or you want to sell the house & the vendor wants to see the BR sign-off.
    We did our due dilligence with the local planners.

The key is around “built from substantially non combustible materials”.

The electrics, however, did require part p sign off.

Foggy

Cheers

Foggy
    Thanks Foggy, impressive stuff. Not cheap but it seems you do get what you pay for. Largest suitable size for my need is 6 x 5m. I will be having a closer look at these when we buy a property.