TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: price of a rolex

Apprentice

price of a rolex

is the price of rolex getting to much for the working man or women

Quote Originally Posted by Tilly View Post
    is the price of rolex getting to much for the working man or women
    I’m a working man and it’s not *too much for me. I have a nice collection although not the most expensive ones.
    Depends on priorities and what you spend your money on.

Depends on your definition of working man or woman. I suggest a Rolex is out of the reach of 90% of working people in this country. However it’s likely that most people who buy Rolex are working so you need to be more specific.

I think 75% of the country’s wealth is owned by 1% of the population and 14m people are living in poverty.
    Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 23rd September 2018 at 15:41.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
    I’m a working man and it’s not *too much for me. I have a nice collection although not the most expensive ones.
    Depends on priorities and what you spend your money on.
    i think that was true a few years ago.but it seems that the price is new racing away. for me it is anyway.

The range varies in price so much that I think there’s a model for everyone who doesn’t mind a bit of graft.

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    The range varies in price so much that I think there’s a model for everyone who doesn’t mind a bit of graft.
    Exactly this.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Agreed... It's about personal preferences- many people splash out when buying a nice motor

Master
    Blog Entries
    Availability prob bigger hurdle these days :)

How many people buy outright vs finance deals could be interesting. I bet many people own who cant afford outright - is that maybe what the OP means?

I have friends who have some scary financed purchases living beyond their means
    Last edited by kultschar; 23rd September 2018 at 17:07.

Grand Master
    Ally, get real!

There are lots of folks out there who are working hard, with mortgages to pay and kids to feed/cloth, who could only dream of spending £4K on a watch. There will be plenty on this forum too, TZ isn`t all about rich boys toys but it sometimes feels like it is thesedays! Over the past 10-12 years wages haven't kept pace with inflation, never mind keeping pace with watch inflation. Watch prices have more than doubled over the last 12 years, the general 'affordability' of a quality watch has been hit hard and for most people it isn`t something they'd consider buying.

Don`t know what circles you mix in mate but you're way off the mark with a comment like this. I don`t like terms such as 'average working wage' etc because they're meaningless, but I think it's a fair bet that people earning 'typical' take home pay in skilled or semi-skilled jobs are far less able to afford a Rolex than they were 12 years ago.

Next week the cheapest Rolex will cost £4K, that's a LOT of money to have on your wrist, anyone who thinks otherwise isn't living in the real world, if you can afford to spend this much on a watch you're in a small but fortunate minority.

Rolex is now a true luxury brand whereas historically it was a manufacture of a necessary tool. Prices in comparison to average wages were much more affordable back in the days than they currently are. Someone will no doubt post a graph I’ve seen which charts a Rolex Sub in multiples against the average wages over the years. The graph goes up clearly showing the decreasing affordability.

All the above said, I believe a Rolex is still in the grasp of most if they get their priorities in order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    many people splash out when buying a nice motor
    The majority of the new motors you see are bought on tic, PCP, or whatever way of financing, they're not actually 'bought' as such. Folks will find the monthly payments, that's a lot easier than shelling out a few £k on a watch.

Buying a nice watch as a 21st gift is nowhere near as common thesedays, I certainly don`t see it happening as it did in the past and I think cost is a factor.

Here’s the graph I recently saw

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Ally, get real!

There are lots of folks out there who are working hard, with mortgages to pay and kids to feed/cloth, who could only dream of spending £4K on a watch. There will be plenty on this forum too, TZ isn`t all about rich boys toys but it sometimes feels like it is thesedays! Over the past 10-12 years wages haven't kept pace with inflation, never mind keeping pace with watch inflation. Watch prices have more than doubled over the last 12 years, the general 'affordability' of a quality watch has been hit hard and for most people it isn`t something they'd consider buying.

Don`t know what circles you mix in mate but you're way off the mark with a comment like this. I don`t like terms such as 'average working wage' etc because they're meaningless, but I think it's a fair bet that people earning 'typical' take home pay in skilled or semi-skilled jobs are far less able to afford a Rolex than they were 12 years ago.

Next week the cheapest Rolex will cost £4K, that's a LOT of money to have on your wrist, anyone who thinks otherwise isn't living in the real world, if you can afford to spend this much on a watch you're in a small but fortunate minority.
    True my work mates an me are on 20k to 30k a year the last watch I got was Daytona with a swap that stud me 6500 5 years ago I could never get one new

Ally, get real!

There are lots of folks out there who are working hard, with mortgages to pay and kids to feed/cloth, who could only dream of spending £4K on a watch.
    Everyone makes their own choices in life. I don’t feel one bit sorry for anyone who spews out child after child and then bleats about not being able to afford a fancy wrist trinket.

Master

price of a rolex

Don’t think Rolex has ever aimed at the working mans market?

Last edited by fordystar; 23rd September 2018 at 17:30.

Craftsman
    Rolex have taken their pieces from being a well built expensive tool watch to a luxury watch brand.

As soon as “luxury” becomes the focus higher prices & exclusivity follow quickly.

The OP is correct to a degree. Rolex are clearly pushing the brand pricing to a higher bracket.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    Agreed... It's about personal preferences- many people splash out when buying a nice motor
    Not round these parts a car is a must for most people a watch isn't.if someone asked me how much my watch was id be too embarrassed to tell them a few years ago I would.as it was obtainable not new

Craftsman
    Nothing worse that a Scot who bleats, f@nn¥ b@w - singular, as does not deserve a plural.

Sent from my SM-G935F using TZ-UK mobile app

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by fordystar View Post
    Don’t think Rolex has ever aimed at the working mans market! Unfortunately high end means that they skip that gap! Before anyone pisses all over this post and me in general, I come from lower than whale cack and mom and dad did there very best !

The most desirable Rolex brand are tool watchis.Working man or woman or even factory workers .not just men in suits

Master
    The most desirable Rolex brand are tool watchis.Working man or woman or even factory workers .not just men in suits
    I’m a construction worker, I think your missing the point?

Apprentice
    I’m a construction worker, I think your missing the point?

By the way things are going it will only be wealthy people that can have a Rolex .but it was obtainable a few years ago not so now.

Master
    By the way things are going it will only be wealthy people that can have a Rolex .but it was obtainable a few years ago not so now.
    If anyone can wax £4-5000 on a wristwatch I’d say they are fairly wealthy people already. 5 or 10 years ago.

Ally, get real!

Exactly Paul. Ally’s comment is crass and intended to get a reaction and cause an argument as usual.

Apprentice
    If the average two-week family holiday costs £4,800 I’d suggest it’s a case of priorities: https://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle...-a3907191.html

Craftsman
    Even if you can afford one, sports models aren’t attainable at retail for most!

Apprentice
    If anyone can wax £4-5000 on a wristwatch I’d say they are fairly wealthy people already. 5 or 10 years ago.

Not so traded up frome a Dj to a sub to a Daytona over 8 years altogether .just saying today that watch is naw unobtainable and I do think that will aventuly put people off .

Master

price of a rolex

Not so traded up frome a Dj to a sub to a Daytona over 8 years altogether .just saying today that watch is naw unobtainable and I do think that will aventuly put people off .
    But you were in a position to spend £*000 on a watch? That is classed as expendable cash, people can’t afford electricity or gas, point is going back to the thread title no longer available for working class people. My point is thatbrolex don’t aim for that market

is the price of rolex getting to* much for the workshy and all sorts of spongers/chancers?
    FTFY.

* too
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

I think they are affordable for the average working person, when i was in FH the other week I was asked would I be interested in 0% finance with a 10% deposit up to 4 years.

A Sub (if you could get one) over 4 years after the deposit would be around £30 a week so most people could easily afford it, plus the watch would last someone a life time with regular servicing so a good investment in my mind.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    I think they are affordable for the average working person, when i was in FH the other week I was asked would I be interested in 0% finance with a 10% deposit up to 4 years.

A Sub (if you could get one) over 4 years after the deposit would be around £30 a week so most people could easily afford it, plus the watch would last someone a life time with regular servicing so a good investment in my mind.
    I’m pretty sure they won’t give 0% on desirable models. They will offer all day on the bi metals or explorers.

I’m pretty sure they won’t give 0% on desirable models. They will offer all day on the bi metals or explorers.

You may be correct I do not know and was only using a sub as an example. My point being that the average person could afford a watch costing 4, 5 or 6,000.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Exactly Paul. Ally’s comment is crass and intended to get a reaction and cause an argument as usual.
    I bet you have the greenest of eyes.

Master
    You may be correct I do not know and was only using a sub as an example. My point being that the average person could afford a watch costing 4, 5 or 6,000.
    They refused me 0% on a blnr a few years back mate I’m just going on my experience, who knows with Ads and Rolex it is the greyist of areas! Excuse the pun!

They refused me 0% on a blnr a few years back mate I’m just going on my experience, who knows with Ads and Rolex it is the greyist of areas! Excuse the pun!

I imagine you are correct, I was only enquiring about an OP39 and did not intend to take credit anyway. I do remember thinking as I left the store that for £415 deposit I could have the watch on my arm for less than £80 a month which I no doubt spend on coffee in Pret's.

So in response to the OP I think they are obtainable to most people should they wish.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Superfuzz View Post
    If the average two-week family holiday costs £4,800 I’d suggest it’s a case of priorities: https://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle...-a3907191.html
    So tell that to someone working all your with kids.sorry I'm getting a watch .its a aspersion for some people to save and get a watch if you can get one without paying gray dealers and flippers

I am sure I have read numerous posts over the years where a DJ or Sub in the 50/60's were on average around 2 or 3 months salary.
    Last edited by boring_sandwich; 23rd September 2018 at 18:40.

Apprentice

But as you say you Canot get certain models with cash or 0 credit so pay over making Rolex expensive to obtaining

But as you say you Canot get certain models with cash or 0 credit so pay over making Rolex expensive to obtaining
    The majority of people are not looking for the harder to obtain models though, is the DJ not Rolex best seller.

May be if they didn't have kids they could've afford a better lifestyle incl high end watches, or have kid/s when they can afford them rather then rely in the govimmint handouts.. It's not a human right to have children innit.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    May be if they didn't have kids they could've afford a better lifestyle incl high end watches, or have kid/s when they can afford them rather then rely in the govimmint handouts.. It's not a human right to have children innit.
    Whats having kids got to do with a better lifestyle .and that's a Verry Sad thing to say.i sepose you're single and I'm think most people that have kids work and get no benefit.and just try to live a decent life anyway this is about your post is not

Nice and blue dickhead, nice and blue. I have a nice comfortable life where the needs of my family are met so I don’t need to be envious of anyone, especially you. Unlike you I’ve not made a healthy profit off forum members to fund my Rolex purchases.

Would I like a 39mm OP? Of course I would. Will I get one? Yes I will, when my priorities allow and not before.

Happiness and fulfilment isn’t found in trinkets and fast cars Ally.

Apprentice
    So tell that to someone working all your with kids.sorry I'm getting a watch .its a aspersion for some people to save and get a watch if you can get one without paying gray dealers and flippers
    That’s what I’m saying: priorities.

Will I get one? Yes I will, when my priorities allow and not before.
    So you’re now agreeing with my point that a nice watch is achievable if there is nothing else taking priority.

No need for the profanity though.

Happiness and fulfilment isn’t found in trinkets and fast cars Ally.
    Nobody has said it is. I ran a 1.0 Skoda for 3 years, again a lifestyle choice.
    Last edited by -Ally-; 23rd September 2018 at 19:13.

Apprentice
    Everyone makes their own choices in life. I don’t feel one bit sorry for anyone who spews out child after child and then bleats about not being able to afford a fancy wrist trinket.
    It's a watch forum not for bashing parents after all thar kids the future for us all

Master
    Love the children vs Rolex turn this thread has taken - maybe if Rolex knew about this terrible dilemma they’d rethink their pricing. They do come with a 5 year warranty though (the watches not the children)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    The majority of people are not looking for the harder to obtain models though, is the DJ not Rolex best seller.
    True

Banned
    Again.
    Last edited by Sahara; 23rd September 2018 at 19:34.

Craftsman
    Affordable and obtainable are very different and the lines are extremely blurred for most nowadays. If you HAVE to get finance for something, you can’t afford it.

Just my opinion of course

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Superfuzz View Post
    That’s what I’m saying: priorities.
    But it's is possible to do do both.just getting very expensive last fow years I'm thinking watchis that is

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Sahara View Post
    Alley
    You are a prick
    Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    Very sad thing to say .not everyone with kids are on benefits.thay are mostly hard working people.do you have a problem with people with children.ho and by the way did your parents give your child benefit away.l think not sir so your in that club.of benefit club.anyway this is about watchis