closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Would you refuse to remove a bracelet?

Master

Would you refuse to remove a bracelet?

Morning all.

I’m eyeing a Rolex on the ‘bay. Looks in good condition but there’s no indication of the production year, and this is a watch produced for a couple of decades.

I emailed the seller to ask for the serial range or production year. The response: I don’t mess with my watches so won’t remove the bracelet to find it.

Now I would never remove a caseback, but I would the bracelet. With drilled lugs, it only needs a paper clip. And in this case my curiosity to know the s/n would be overpowering.

How do others feel? Anyone else who refuses to remove an Oyster bracelet?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by NickRed71; 23rd September 2018 at 09:51.

Yes, I’d remove it without a doubt, as you say, casebacks are a different story for me but a bracelet, no problem at all

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    It's not the greatest reply to an expensive online transaction.

scooter

Master
    The wording is intriguing, ‘mess with my watches’ - are they a dealer on ebay?
    It would make me ask what they were hiding.

Master
    I’d be too sceptical and walk away.

If they have nothing to hide there should be no problem removing the bracelet to get the serial number.

Master
    Yes difficult to buy if seller quite inflexible. But perhaps on the reverse, they are just nervous not wanting to scratch the watch, so would rather not 'mess with it' as they so eloquently put it?

Deep breath and...walk on by!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeez Nuuutz View Post
    I’d be too sceptical and walk away.

If they have nothing to hide there should be no problem removing the bracelet to get the serial number.

I would also.

If someone asked me to remove the bracelet and caseback I would. You never know whats hiding inside.

You'd never remove the case back, may be he feels the same about bracelet. Instead of guessing his reasons why not focus on finding another watch and more agreeable seller? Just a thought.
    Last edited by VDG; 23rd September 2018 at 11:08.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

It depends if you would then say, I'm not going to buy it because you scratched the case when you took the bracelet off'.
    Not everyone is confident taking links out of bracelets - or bracelets off cases - for fear of damaging their watch.
    Indeed there are plenty of posts where someone has scratched their case taking a bracelet off - so I really wouldn't blame the seller if they are a novice.
    You could always volunteer to pay the seller to take it to an AD?

Quote Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
    I would also.

If someone asked me to remove the bracelet and caseback I would. You never know whats hiding inside.
    The strange thing is I do the opposite when I see watches on eBay with the caseback removed as I don't entirely trust amateurs playing around with precision instruments.

Master
    It's possible to forget we are in a tiny minority of the population who have the tools & knowledge to remove braclets & straps. The vast majority of watch owners have idea how to do so & no inclination to 'mess about' with an expensive possesion with the fear of damaging it.
    Last edited by Mr Pointy; 23rd September 2018 at 13:13. Reason: Garbled ending

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    It's possible to forget we are in a tiny minority of the population who have the tools & knowledge to remove braclets & straps. The vast majority of watch owners have idea how to do so & no inclination to 'mess about' with an expensive possesion with the fear dmaging.
    That is spot on, l don't know of a single friend with any watch tools.

Quote Originally Posted by adg31 View Post
    The strange thing is I do the opposite when I see watches on eBay with the caseback removed as I don't entirely trust amateurs playing around with precision instruments.
    +1 to this.
    It's possible to forget we are in a tiny minority of the population who have the tools & knowledge to remove braclets & straps. The vast majority of watch owners have idea how to do so & no inclination to 'mess about' with an expensive possesion with the fear dmaging.
    And also +1 to this.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    +1 to this.

And also +1 to this.
    I think it depends on the sellers

Master
    Blog Entries
    If the price is so good you are tempted to gamble then that's exactly what you are doing- Unknown seller and a watch with unknown provenance...

Master
    I wondered about this too—and it’s the main reason why I started the thread.

The odd thing in this case is that the seller seems to be pretty knowledgeable.

Master
    Others have covered it already, but most people would not know how to do so and wouldn’t have the confidence that they are not going to damage it.

As a buyer, I would understand that and move on to another watch as the requested information is not available. The seller has not, cannot or will not provide the information.

Craftsman
    Pretty easy to remove a bracelet and if not comfortable doing so get someone who is. It’s only due diligence on a Rolex to be more comfortable with the sale. I’d walk away if they were unwilling to do this.

Craftsman
    I would.

And from this deal I would walk away. I appreciate that most have no tools or knowledge but at the price point Rolex sell for I think it is a reasonable request. If the seller does not there are many others out there.
    Plus it is on the bay so always a little risky..let them find another buyer.
    I always walk when I am the slightest bit concerned..sometimes I am wrong and miss a good deal but that does not cost me a penny in loss. There is always another watch.

I would be walking away. But first I would offer to cover the cost to ask a watch repair shop to do this. If he is still not willing then my head would be telling me to move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    I didn’t with my vintage IWC I was worried I would scratch it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    It's not the greatest reply to an expensive online transaction.

scooter
    Agree i think it's better sometimes to pass on a deals after that sort of reply

Craftsman
    It’s not rocket science to get to the serial number, on a Rolex , with drilled lugs. If the seller thinks removing the bracelet is ‘messing’ with a watch then he/she has no idea what they are selling and you should always buy the seller.

I agree with not wanting to remove a case back . But this is a simple request and the seller could have come back with a more eloquent reply.

I have never attempted to take off either of my Rolex bracelets. Neither would I. I got my friendly strap guy to take off my other bracelets / straps

Master
    To bring the story to its conclusion: I didn’t bid.

I have however followed VDG’s advice and found the same model from a seller I’m comfortable with. Fingers crossed it will feature on the Friday thread this week.