Quote Originally Posted by naggge
    Simple recipe of guacemole (also the best one IMO):

3 ripe avocados
    2 garlic cloves
    The juice from one lemon
    salt and pepper

MIXXX!

Done!
    Thanks for that. I'm going to give it a go. :-)

Re: The recipe thread

Here's my current favourite recipe ...

Ben & Jerry's Chocolate Ice Cream

INGREDIENTS:
    4 squares (1 ounce size) unsweetened chocolate
    1 cup milk
    2 large eggs
    1 cup sugar
    1 cup heavy whipping cream
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 pinch salt

PREPARATION:
    Melt the chocolate over low heat. Gradually whisk in the milk and heat, stirring constantly, until smooth. Remove from the heat and let cool.

Whisk the eggs in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy, 1-2 minutes. Whisk in the sugar, a little at a time, then continue whisking until completely blended, about 1 minute more.

Add the cream, vanilla and salt and whisk to blend. Pour the chocolate mixture into the cream mixture and blend.

Cover and refrigerate until cold, about 1-3 hours, depending on your refrigerator. Transfer the mixture to an ice cream maker and freeze following the manufacturer's instructions.

If you don't have a machine, place in suitable container in freezer.
    Leave for 10 minutes, then stir well.
    Repeat every 10 minute until frozen.

Journeyman

This is my favourite cheap, quick and easy tea. Feeds a hungry family of four easily and my kids love it.

15 minutes from start to finish.

Put your pasta of choice on to boil. I prefer Conchiglie for this one.

Put a load of good olive oil in a wok. On a low-medium heat fry off 6 cloves garlic and 1 red or green chilli. Keep the seeds if you like it hot. When the garlics softened add thinly sliced strips of smoked back bacon.I use 6 slices. Crank up the heat to cook it through. When done, add cherry tomatoes and frozen peas. Warm these through for around 4 minutes. By this time your pasta should be done. Drain it and fling it in witth the pasta. Mix thouroughly and add more olive oil to finish.

Tweak the quantities to suit your taste. I find sliced spring onions a nice change from the peas.

Nice and healthy and no need for salt. And I love me Maldon!

Journeyman

Another quick recipe for the lazy.

If you have leftover rice, or even want to cook rice for this then i think its banging.

Cheats Chicken and Chorizo 'Paella'.

Cook some chopped chorizo on a low heat to render out the fat. Once this is done crank the heat med-high and add diced chicken, red onion and garlic and chilli. Fry this up till chicken is almost cooked through. Add frozen peas and a chopped red/green peppers. Once cooked add the rice. Crush over a chicken stock cube and a little soy sauce and mix well. Job done! Taste great cold aswell.

If youre cooking the rice specifically for this then add a little saffron and a stock cube to the rice when its boiling. It really gives the dish a big flavour boost.

Craftsman

Oxtail Stew

1.3kg/3lb oxtail, cut into chunky pieces (ask your butcher to do this for you)

3 tbsp plain flour

salt and freshly ground black pepper

3–4 tbsp sunflower oil

2 medium onions, sliced

2 garlic cloves, finely chopped

2 medium carrots, diced

2 celery stalks, diced

4–5 sprigs fresh thyme (or ½ tsp dried thyme)

2 bay leaves

300ml/½pint red wine

500ml/18fl oz beef stock

2 tbsp tomato purée

1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley, to serve (optional)

Preparation method

Preheat the oven to 150C/300F/Gas 2.

Wash the oxtail pieces and pat dry with kitchen paper. Trim off as much excess fat as possible. Put the flour in a freezer bag and season well with salt and pepper. Put half the oxtail pieces into the seasoned flour, toss well to coat then put aside on a plate. Repeat with the remaining oxtail pieces.

Heat two tablespoons of the oil in a large non-stick frying pan. Brown the oxtail over a medium heat for about 10 minutes, turning every now and then, until dark brown all over. You may need to add extra oil if the pan looks dry at any point during the browning step. Put the browned oxtail into a flameproof casserole dish. (You may need to do this in batches.)

Return the frying pan to a low heat and add the onions, garlic, carrots and celery. Add a little extra oil if necessary. Cook gently for 10 minutes, or until softened and lightly browned, stirring occasionally.

Tip the vegetables on top of the beef and add the thyme and bay leaves. Stir in the wine, beef stock and tomato purée. Season with salt and pepper, put the casserole on the heat and bring to a gentle simmer. Cover the casserole dish with a lid and cook in the centre of the oven for 3 hours. Stir after 1½ hours, turning the oxtail in the sauce.

After 3 hours, the meat should be falling off the bones and the sauce should be thick. Remove the casserole dish from the oven and transfer the oxtail pieces to a plate, set aside and keep warm.

Skim any fat that has pooled on the surface of the sauce.

Divide the oxtail pieces between six warmed plates and spoon over the sauce. Sprinkle with the chopped parsley (if using) and serve with mashed potato and fresh vegetables.

Craftsman

Chicken Paprika

Ingredients

1 large chicken, jointed (or use 2 large chicken legs and 2 breasts, halved)

salt

2 tbsp olive oil

knob butter

1 onion, chopped

2-3 cloves garlic, chopped

1 tbsp sweet paprika

1 tbsp hot paprika

1 tbsp flour

285ml/½pint chicken stock

3 tbsp chopped fresh flatleaf parsley

2 red peppers, de-seeded and cut into 1cm/0.5in strips

4 large ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped

250ml/8fl oz sour cream

Preparation method

Rub the chicken pieces with the salt. Heat the oil and butter in a large heavy-bottomed pan and brown the chicken all over for a few minutes. Remove the chicken from the pan and set to one side.

To the same pan, add the onions and garlic and sweat for about five minutes. Add the sweet and hot paprika, then the flour, and stir until combined - take care not to burn it.

Add the stock and stir. Return the chicken pieces to the pan, adding a bit more stock if the mixtures seems too dry.

Add half of the chopped parsley and bring to the boil. Add the red pepper strips, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.

Stir in the tomatoes and simmer gently for about one hour.

When the chicken is cooked, remove the pan from the heat. Stir in the sour cream and the remaining parsley. Check the seasoning and serve.

Quote Originally Posted by John G

3 ripe avocados
    2 garlic cloves
    The juice from one lemon
    salt and pepper

MIXXX!

Done!
    Add chilli powder and ground cumin to that ...and thats how I do it

"The Don Pedro"

Gaucho Grill charge an arm and leg for this dessert, but basically, it's just

good quality vanilla icecream + shot of whiskey -> in a blender

Finish with some choc powder sprinkled on top and a mint leaf (optional)

Sounds very uninspiring on paper, but actually never fails to impress when dished up :-)

3 ripe avocados
    2 garlic cloves
    The juice from one lemon
    salt and pepper

MIXXX!

Done!
    But what about the fresh chile , lime juice and lime zest ... lemon indeed .. this is heresy !

Fresh pasta boiled as per instructions, or a bit less for that nice al dente effect.
    Top quality single estate olive oil, Sicilian or something similar.
    Freshly cracked black pepper, a little sprinkle of salt - added after the oil.
    Lemon zest and a light squeezing of juice from half the lemon.
    Then copious amounts of freshly grated Parmesan ( M&S's is pretty good, compare it to your favourite and let me know if yours is better :) )

This one depends on the quality of the ingredients... so try not to skimp on them.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by imagedoctor

3 ripe avocados
    2 garlic cloves
    The juice from one lemon
    salt and pepper

MIXXX!

Done!
    But what about the fresh chile , lime juice and lime zest ... lemon indeed .. this is heresy !
    What about the main ingredient of guacamole - a freshly grated mole?

For a vegetarian option you can use vole (frozen voles are acceptable, tinned voles in syrup if it's an emergency but always use fresh if you can get them).

Quote Originally Posted by IANAN
    Quote Originally Posted by imagedoctor

3 ripe avocados
    2 garlic cloves
    The juice from one lemon
    salt and pepper

MIXXX!

Done!
    What about the main ingredient of guacamole - a freshly grated mole?

For a vegetarian option you can use vole (frozen voles are acceptable, tinned voles in syrup if it's an emergency but always use fresh if you can get them).

Please, please share your source of fresh moles with us !!!!!!

3 ripe avocados
    2 garlic cloves
    The juice from one lemon
    salt and pepper

MIXXX!

Done!
    That's a LOT of quacamole!

I tend to add finely chopped cherry tomato and red onion in mine. Plus a generous amount of paprika, pepper and tabasco..

A tip I found out recently

for perfect toasted cheese sandwich, use 'Raclette' cheese (I found in waitrose) and first sweat some chopped onions in the microwave in little butter before putting them, and cheese under the grill

stole the idea from a place in Borough Market which the papers claim has 'the best toasted cheese sandwich in London' :-)

Made some chilli last night

500g of mince
    1 teaspoon of ground cumin
    1 teaspoon of ground coriander
    1 teaspoon of chilli powder( or more if you like it hot)
    I teaspoon of dried oregano
    2 medium onions
    3 cloves of garlic
    I tin of chopped tomatoes
    about two tablespoons of tomato puree

You basically fry all of the above together

Eat with rice or wraps with sourcream, guacamole and grated cheese.

Delish

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by nutta29
    homemade pesto:

1/2 clove garlic
    lemon juice
    2 or 3 decent handfuls of basil leaves
    pine nuts - roasted
    salt & pepper
    bit of parmesan cheese
    olive oil

whiz it up in a blender - add to pasta - amazing!!
    Definitely trying this out

Me too :lol:

My nephew's recipe for fajitas. I haven't tried them but he swears they're amazing.

Drizzle Olive Oil into warm frying pan.
    Finely chop up chicken breast and bacon and put into the pan to sizzle.
    Dice peppers and red onion into small chunks.
    Put peppers and red onion into the pan then put a slight dusting of crushed chillies on contents.
    Take fajita powder mix and sprinkle evenly of the mixture, making sure that all ingredients have an even covering.
    Leave the pan to simmer.
    Take fajita wraps and put in microwave until warm and soft.
    Put tangy salsa on the wraps and distribute fajita mix evenly. Tightly wrap and enjoy.
    These are no ordinary fajitas...these are Christopher Platts fajitas.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

I regularly cook fajitas - a quick and delicious meal.

I always use a mixture of steak and chicken, seasoning, sliced onion, peppers, babycorn and sometimes courgettes all fried off, and then some grated cheese and sour cream to put in the wraps to tase.

A bit of sweet chili sauce also goes down very well.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Quote Originally Posted by dja21
    Quote Originally Posted by nutta29
    homemade pesto:

1/2 clove garlic
    lemon juice
    2 or 3 decent handfuls of basil leaves
    pine nuts - roasted
    salt & pepper
    bit of parmesan cheese
    olive oil

whiz it up in a blender - add to pasta - amazing!!
    Definitely trying this out
    And so am I.
    I love pesto but never thought of making it myself

My new favourite food: Salmon burgers with mango salsa :drunken:

For the burgers you'll need:
    500 g of salmon
    1½ chili pepper
    Potato starch flour

And for the mango salsa:
    Turkish yoghurt
    one mango
    ½ chili pepper
    ½ red onion

1. Chop up the chili for the burgers (keep the seeds if you want it extra spicy).
    2. Chop up (or mash) the salmon into tiny bits.
    3. Mix everything for the burgers and make burgers.
    4. Chop up the mango, the onion and the rest of the chili and mix with the yoghurt.

Serve like regular burgers with whatever vegetables you like but use the salsa instead of ketchup and sauce.

just made the pesto, Very nice Thanks for the recipe

Master

Re: The recipe thread - baked eggs

I heard someone on the radio raving about a simple recipe, fried garlic, tomato puree and tin of tomatoes then poach eggs on top - man it was delicious with sausies and bacon, I've since seen lots of similar recipes on tinternet with tomatoes as a base to 'poach' eggs in.

k regards

Very similar to a simple sauce I like to make

Fried or roast garlic
    Tomato puree
    Chilli powder

Add it too cheese on toast bloomin lovely

Master

Craftsman

Tried the Pesto, very good, now anybody got any suggestions for asparagus pref oriental?

Thought I'd add one of my staple weekday dishes. If you like curry, but suffer from curry hangover, I think you might like this. It's vegetarian (although I not a veggie myself), fresh tasting, quick to make and very good for you. Quantities/ratios of paneer, mushrooms and peas aren't crtical - If you like more or less of one of the other, adjust to your preference. The Ingredients list looks big, but most of it goes straight into a belnder and gets whizzed.

Paneer (Indian Cheese) with Peas and Mushrooms (30-40 mins all in)

You will need (2/3 good sized helpings):-

1 x 225g pack of paneer
    1 pack of the small white button mushrooms - clean, remove any long stalks and cut them in half if bigger than a bonker sized marble.
    3 or 4 good handfuls of frozen peas
    3 fresh green chillies (the plumper milder ones if possible - we're after flavour/freshness over heat - you don't want the skinny finger ones here) - roughly chopped - don't bother removing the seeds.
    1 x 500g pot of greek (strained) yoghurt (low fat if you really want the dish mega healthy)
    1 large onion - peeled and quartered
    3 cloves of garlic - peeled
    1 bunch of coriander - excess stalks removed
    1 bunch of mint - excess stalks removed
    1 teaspoon garam masala
    1 teaspoon of chilli powder (optional)
    1 teaspoon of tumeric
    1 thumb sized piece of fresh ginger - peeled and roughly chopped (more if you like it - I do!)
    Salt and Pepper
    1 tablespoon of ghee or vegetable oil.

Cut the paneer into cubes about 1/2" to 3/4" square. Don't be tempted to 'do a Jamie' and go rustic and break it into 'interesting' chunks with your fingers otherwise the next step will be a fail.
    Add paneer to heated ghee/oil in a large pan. Keep turning the pieces over until they are rich golden brown all over. The paneer has a tendancy to spit as it frys so be careful.
    Remove paneer to a plate with a slotted spoon leaving the excess ghee in the pan.
    Place the onion, garlic, chillies, ginger, coriander, mint, garam masala, chilli powder and tumeric into a blender and whizz to a paste.
    Fry the paste in the left over ghee/oil on a medium heat for about 7 or 8 minutes until the paste has lost it's raw onion smell. Don't let the paste stick to the pan - add a little more ghee/oil if necessary.
    Increase the heat and add the mushrooms and frozen peas to the paste and the add all of the yoghurt. Stir and bring up to simmer before lowering the heat back down to maintain a slight simmer.
    Add the fried paneer, give everything a good stir and leave to simmer for 10 minutes until the peas are cooked and the flavours have mingled. Season with lots of freshly ground black pepper and salt.

Serve with your choice of indian bread or rice.

This combination of slightly zingy/sour youghurt and 'squeaky' paneer with the prickly heat of the chillies makes this a really refreshing alternative to a standard curry. The meatiness of the 'larger than normal' preperation of the paneer makes it substanial enough to make it a meal in its own right, rather than the accompinament it's so often seen as. I'll take some photos next time I make it. I normally double up on everything and make a large batch because it freezes so well and, being meat free, there are no concerns over reheating.

P.S. If you've not gone such a bundle on the peas, add a teaspoon of sugar to compensate for the peas natural sweetness.

Gary

As a supplement.... If you fancy having a go at making your own Paneer, it's dead easy:-

Makes about 250g (for the recipe above)

Bring 4 pints of whole milk to a rolling boil for 1 minute.
    Reduce heat to low and add the juice of half a lemon (I add the juice of a whole lemon because I like the lemoniness of it in the finished cheese).
    The milk will split - Stir constantly on a low heat for 2 minutes.
    Remove from the heat and pour the whole lot through a muslin (or nice clean cotton) lined non metallic sieve (a flour sieve is ideal) discarding the watery whey in the process. Let it drain under it's own weight for a few minutes to cool down enough for you to be able to handle it, before gathering up the curds in the muslin and squeezing out the excess whey. Don't over do it though, It needs to be wet enough to hold together - Too dry and it will crumble apart.
    Remove from curds from the muslin to shape in to a block. Wrap it up again, put it on a plate with a couple of cans of beans on top (unopened.... obviously :) ) and put it in the fridge for 24 hours before use.

It's a delight and really takes the dish above to another level.

Gary

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by galewis
    As a supplement.... If you fancy having a go at making your own Paneer, it's dead easy:-

Reduce heat to low and add the juice of half a lemon (I add the juice of a whole lemon because I like the lemoniness of it in the finished cheese).
    Remove from the heat and pour the whole lot through a muslin (or nice clean cotton) lined non metallic sieve (a flour sieve is ideal) discarding the watery whey in the process. Let it drain under it's own weight for a few minutes to cool down enough for you to be able to handle it, before gathering up the curds in the muslin and squeezing out the excess whey. Don't over do it though, It needs to be wet enough to hold together - Too dry and it will crumble apart.
    Remove from curds from the muslin to shape in to a block. Wrap it up again, put it on a plate with a couple of cans of beans on top (unopened.... obviously :) ) and put it in the fridge for 24 hours before use.

Gary
    Not that easy really....I have visions of my kitchen looking like the chimps tea party if I tried this.

Quote Originally Posted by Theboydonald
    Quote Originally Posted by galewis

Gary
    Not that easy really....I have visions of my kitchen looking like the chimps tea party if I tried this.
    :cry:

20 mins max and there's not much that you can do to screw it up - Just don't squeeze too much whey out.

Give it a go... You know you want to :D

I do not know if this has been put but cook your chicken or turkey breast side down, Then for the last half hour turn it over you will never have a dry chicken/turkey again but i am sure you all knew that :)

This is a red onion relish that I made with a pate and bread (I'll put those recipies up too if you like), but this relish is top quality and everone liked it. Just takes a quite a while to simmer it down. This is for one large red onion, but would probably be about right for 3 small to normal sized ones.

50g unsalted butter
    2 tbsp olive oil
    1 large red onion, sliced
    2 tbsp brown sugar
    100ml red wine (cheap!)
    2 tbsp red wine vinegar

Heat the butter and oil in a saucepan, whack in the onions and cook the onion until soft.

Add the brown sugar, stir well to coat the onions and cook until caramelised. Add the red wine and vinegar, bring to the boil and simmer until thickened. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, you may need to add a little dash of extra vinegar near the end just to give it a bit of acidity.

Wait till it's cooled then put in the fridge, it seems to last quite a while. I'd bring it back to room temperature before serving.

Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by IANAN
    It's brassic outside at the moment and while there are many recipes for great main courses it's looking a bit light on the dessert front, so here's a 5 minute chocolate cake recipe for the microwave from a newcomer. I found this on another forum I participate on and it actually works!

5 Minute Chocolate Mug Cake
    1 large coffee mug (microwave safe)
    4 tablespoons flour
    4 tablespoons sugar (Splenda works just as well)
    2 tablespoons baking cocoa
    1 egg
    3 tablespoons milk
    3 tablespoons vegetable oil
    3 tablespoons chocolate chips or chopped nuts
    Small splash of vanilla extract (If possible use real vanilla not artificial, it makes a difference)

Add dry ingredients to coffee mug and mix well.
    Add egg and mix thoroughly
    Pour in milk and oil and mix well.
    Add chips or chopped nuts and vanilla extract and mix again.
    Put the mug in your microwave and cook for 3 minutes at 1000 watts (high)
    The cake will rise over the top of the mug but don't worry.
    Allow to cool a little, run a knife along the edge and tip out of the mug and eat...

It may not turn out perfectly but the results are always very edible.

Congratulations, you are now never more than 5 minutes away from chocolate cake.

Think i will give this a try :thumbright:

This is the bread I make. It's soda bread and is probably the easiest thing in the world to make:

170gself-raising wholemeal flour
    170g/6oz plain flour
    ½ tsp salt
    ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
    290ml buttermilk - this is basically one tub of it from the supermarket.

Put the oven on to 200C.
    Put eveything except the buttermilk into a bowl and mix.
    Make a well in the centre and pour in the buttermilk, mixing quickly with a large fork to form a soft dough. I generally find this is fine, but the recipe I use says you can add milk if it's too dry.

Turn onto a lightly floured surface, knead briefly and then make it into a round lump. Flatten the dough slightly before placing on a lightly floured baking sheet.

Cut a cross on the top and bake for about 30 minutes or until the loaf sounds hollow when tapped. Normally takes me slightly longer than 30 minutes to be OK. Cool on a wire rack.

Eat! It's good stuff and very easy.

Here is a quick recipe that is great for children to do as it needs no cooking. Tastes great too. It was one of my Nana's one, and we in the family love it and I get moaned at that I don't make it enough. Ingredients in oz as that is what is written down on the extremely faded paper.

Chocolate squares

8oz Plain digestive biscuits
    4oz plain cooking chocolate
    4oz butter
    and one small tin of condensed milk. (As they don't make a small tin anymore, we double up all of the other ingredients to make more!!)

1. Melt the butter and chocolate together.
    2. Add the milk and stir in. I normally do this whilst it is still in the bowl over the saucepan so the milk heats up and mixing in well.
    3. Add the crumbled digestive biscuits to it. This bit is the prefect part for the kiddies. Put the digestives in a bag and hit with a rolling pin until you have destroyed them. Probably good after a long hard day the office!
    4. Place mixture into a grease proof paper lined tin to the depth of about 2cm.

Now the next bit isn't on the recipe sheet, but Nana always did it. She would melt some more chocolate and cover a think covering over the biscuit base and it off with a chocolate button or a smartie. Once done place in freezer to set over night.

Now you have to cut into small squares. I recommend you allow it to defrost a bit before cutting, otherwise you injury yourself like I did yesterday! Always keep in the freezer and allow a little bit of defrosting time before eating.

Caramelised Onion Chutney

6 large onions (red or white)
    3 cups of red wine vinegar (about 8fl oz per cup)
    1 cup of red wine
    1 1/2 cups of sugar (brown if poss) but you can use white
    2-4 bay leaves
    20 black peppercorns crushed
    Place all ingredients in large stainless steel saucepan.
    Bring to boil and simmer gently until liquid has evaporated and onions are translucent. (This normally takes about an hour to 90 mins)
    Pour into sterilized jars.
    This keeps for 3 - 6 months in the fridge and makes approx 2 - 3lb. It has a sweetand tangy taste and is great with cheese and cold meats etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ark383
    Here is a quick recipe that is great for children to do as it needs no cooking. Tastes great too. It was one of my Nana's one, and we in the family love it and I get moaned at that I don't make it enough. Ingredients in oz as that is what is written down on the extremely faded paper.

Chocolate squares

8oz Plain digestive biscuits
    4oz plain cooking chocolate
    4oz butter
    and one small tin of condensed milk. (As they don't make a small tin anymore, we double up all of the other ingredients to make more!!)

1. Melt the butter and chocolate together.
    2. Add the milk and stir in. I normally do this whilst it is still in the bowl over the saucepan so the milk heats up and mixing in well.
    3. Add the crumbled digestive biscuits to it. This bit is the prefect part for the kiddies. Put the digestives in a bag and hit with a rolling pin until you have destroyed them. Probably good after a long hard day the office!
    4. Place mixture into a grease proof paper lined tin to the depth of about 2cm.

Now the next bit isn't on the recipe sheet, but Nana always did it. She would melt some more chocolate and cover a think covering over the biscuit base and it off with a chocolate button or a smartie. Once done place in freezer to set over night.

Now you have to cut into small squares. I recommend you allow it to defrost a bit before cutting, otherwise you injury yourself like I did yesterday! Always keep in the freezer and allow a little bit of defrosting time before eating.

I have a sweet tooth will give this one a try aswell

Re: The recipe thread - Salmon Cerviché - Serves about 4

Salmon cerviché
    Nicked this recipe off my godmother....was blown away by it and its so easy! Its a nice light and fresh salad with a bit of substance. Can be prepped in advance (1 day max) or whipped up in about 30 mins. Its great as a lunch time treat. The basic premise is that the lime and lemon juice "cooks" the salmon, taking it from raw look to cooked look without actually drying it out or heating it up. I don't have any pictures, soz, google it, but I reckon its a fun one to try, it will actually surprise you .....

1 x Large Mango
    2 x Avocado
    2 x Large Salmon skinless/boneless Fillets (preferably long ways not cutlets)
    3 x Lemons & 2 x Limes (or there abouts)
    1 x Red not too hot chilli pepper (ie the ones you get in sainsburys fresh, not jalapenos and not large salad variety)
    A few Spring onions or half a red onion
    Small bunch flat leaf parsley

1) Take the salmon and slice it relatively thinly, something like you would find on Salmon nigiri will do, your are looking for it to be a little thin but not too thin
    2) Place in something like a lasagne bowl and squeeze the juice of 2 lemons and a lime over it...it should just about cover the salmon
    3) Cover and stick in the fridge...I have found that 30 minutes is sufficient but you can leave overnight too

10 minutes before ready to serve.....

4) Chop the mango and avocado into chunky blocks
    5) Finely chop half the chilli (no seeds) and chop the spring onion / dice half red onion into small bits
    5) chop up the parlsey roughly
    6) mix the avocado, mango, onion, parley and chilli together in a bowl
    7) Add a little zest from the lime and squeeze in the rest of the lime and lemon juice
    8) Remove the salmon from the fridge, tip out the juice, use some kitchen towel to dry the salmon a little. The effect you are looking for is that the salmon looks cooked all the way through....ie its gone from translucent to opaque pink it gets when cooked.
    9) Mix the salmon with the prepped mango et al and serve from a large salad bowl
    10) Enjoy a nice refreshing salad!

Master
    Blog Entries

Slow cooker for the win.

big chunk of Venison or beef.
    Handfull of Shallotts
    1 large red onion
    1 teaspoon of english mustard (to taste)
    beef stock (300ml)
    1 teaspoon of bovril
    flour
    salt
    pepper
    bay leaf
    cranberry sauce
    red wine (300ml)

1) Cube the meat, seaon some flour and coat the meat.
    2) Brown the meat and wack in the slow cooker.
    3) In the meat juices soften the sliced red onion and quartered shallotts. Wack in the the slow cooker. Add two teaspoons of cranberry sauce.
    4) Add all the other gumf and slow cook while your out for the day.
    5) Just before serving add another three tablespoons of cranberry sauce and stirr in.
    6) Serve with garlic/ wholegrain mustard/ spring onion & sour cream mash.

YUM

Nigella's Hot & Sour soup

This is a great winter warmer, despite being a light soup. It only takes about 10 minutes to make and is open to endless variations.

INGREDIENTS
    1 1/2 litres chicken stock
    1 heaped tablespoon tom yam paste
    4 kaffir lime leaves, finely chopped
    1 stick lemon grass, tender inner part only, roughly chopped
    Juice of 1 lime
    4 tablespoons fish sauce
    3 small fresh red or green chillies, finely chopped
    1 teaspoon sugar
    150g straw or button mushrooms, halved or quartered according to size
    500g peeled raw prawns, thawed if frozen
    5 small spring onions, cut into short lengths and then into strips
    Small bunch coriander, chopped

I'm not a fan of mushrooms and so substitute them with a finely sliced carrot and an echalion shallot. I also add an additional quarter litre of stock and use two limes instead of one for a fresher taste. I omit the spring onions which I find too strong a flavour for this soup and substitute pak choi. I add the chopped white root at the same time as the prawns and add the green tops just before serving, with the chopped coriander, otherwise they overcook and taste and look like cabbage.

METHOD
    Heat the stock and tom yam paste in a decent sized saucepan with the lime leaves, lemon grass, lime juice, fish sauce, chillies and sugar. Bring to the boil, add the mushrooms and simmer for a couple of minutes, then add the prawns and spring onions and cook for a further 2-3 minutes, or until the prawns are cooked but still tender.
    Sprinkle with a little coriander and put more on the table for people to add themselves as they want.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

I just whack mine in a pouch of foil having sliced and stuffed the fillet with boursin cheese first. Unbeatable!

Journeyman

Italian sausage ball rigatoni

1 pck Sainsburys Sicilian sausage (taste the difference)
    Rigatoni pasta
    Parmesan Reggiano
    1 to 2 chilli's
    1 1/2 tins Napolina chopped tomatoes
    A little red wine, rioja etc.
    Large handful of mushrooms
    1 to 2 cloves garlic

Dry mix:
    Oregano
    Basil
    Paprika
    Very coarse cracked black pepper

De-skin the sausages and make three balls from each sausage. You MUST use the sicilian sausages from sainsbo's, I've tried other herby or italian sausages but non taste as good as these.

Coat a chopping board with paprika, then basil, oregano and lots (and i mean lots) of coarse cracked black pepper. Turn your mill so you get large chunks.

Roll each ball until it is completely covered in the dry mix. Carefully add the balls in to a pan with hot olive oil ( I use a large wok for this recipe) and fry them off, turning with tongs or give em a light toss. After they brown up a little (and the oil will have lots of the dry mix in) throw in the garlic to fry. As soon as the garlic starts to fry add the chilli's and chopped tomatoes and gently mix with a wooden spoon, season with a little salt. After about 5 mins I throw in some mushrooms, closed cup, cut in to no more than 2 or 3 pieces. Sometimes I like to soak mine in red wine and a bit more garlic at the beginning but not for too long as i like a bit of bite to them. You can add sweet peppers, small pomodoro tomatoes or both. Cook for about another twenty mins on a low heat. With about 5 mins to go add a little red wine and a good handful of grated parmesan cheese to the sauce.

Boil up your rigatoni, serve with more parmesan with a good chunk of bread & wine

Everyone has their own favorite way of making Chili, but this is the very best I've ever found -

2 teaspoons oil
    2 onions , chopped
    3 cloves garlic , minced
    1 lb lean ground beef
    3/4 lb beef sirloin , cubed (2 x sirloin steaks will work here)
    1 Chorizo sausage, chopped
    1 can chopped tomatoes
    1 can dark beer (guinness or similar)
    1 cup strong coffee
    1 tube tomato paste
    1 serving beef broth (about 1/2 a pint)
    1 tube chili sauce (you can get the fresh chili sauce tubes near frech hearb bit in tesco's)
    1 tablespoon cumin
    1 tablespoon cocoa
    1 teaspoon oregano
    1 teaspoon cayenne
    1 teaspoon coriander
    1 teaspoon salt
    4 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans
    4 chili peppers , chopped

Directions:
    1 - Heat oil.
    2 - Cook onions, garlic and meat until brown.
    3 - Add tomatoes, beer, coffee, tomato paste and beef broth.
    4 - Add spices Stir in 2 cans of kidney beans and peppers.
    5 - Reduce heat and simmer for 1 & 1/2 hours.
    6 - Add 2 remaining cans of kidney beans and simmer for another 30 minutes.

Journeyman

Swedish meatballs

A classic Swedish dish, especially popular during Christmas times.

• Minced meat/beef (around 1 kilo)
      2 eggs
      2 spoons olive/rapeseed oil
      Salt, black peppar

Mix all the ingredients together, roll them to the size you wish, then fry them in butter or olive oil.

Easy to make and enjoyable for everyone in the family.

How To Cook A Turkey:

First, buy the turkey and a bottle of whiskey. Pour yourself a glass of whiskey and put the turkey in the oven. Take another 2 drinks of whiskey, and set the degree at 375 ovens. Have 3 more whiskeys of drink and turn the oven on. Take 4 whisks of drinky and turk the bastey. Stick a turkey in the thermometer, and glass yourself a pour of whiskey. Bake the whiskey for 4 hours, take the oven out of the turkey, and floor the turkey up off the pick. Pour yourself another glass of turkey. Now just tet the sable, and turk the carvey!
    :drunken: :D
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Done this one a few times- have seem something similar in rick steins spanish book,
    - tastes v good, and quite easy to do.

Cook this Spanish rice recipe as a tasty alternative to paella. Serve with a spoonful of aioli.

Ingredients
    4 tbsp olive oil
    75g/3oz shallots, finely chopped
    1 small head garlic, cloves separated, peeled, finely chopped
    ½ tsp pimentón dulce (smoked sweet Spanish paprika), plus extra for seasoning the fish
    pinch crushed dried chillies
    200g/7oz vine or beef tomatoes, halved
    1 litre/1¾ pints fish stock
    ½ tsp loosely packed saffron strands
    400g/14oz short-grain paella rice, such as Calasparra
    1 large roasted red pepper
    500g/1lb 2oz monkfish fillet, trimmed of all membrane then cut across into 1cm/½in thick slices

Preparation method
    1.Grate the halved tomatoes, pressing the fleshy, cut face of the tomato against the grater. (As you grate each tomato half, the skin will flatten out and be left behind.) Discard the skin.
    2.Heat two tablespoons of the olive oil in a shallow flameproof casserole, add the shallot and fry gently for 10 minutes or until soft and sweet but not browned. Add the garlic, pimentón and chillies and fry for 2-3 more minutes, then stir in the tomatoes and cook until they have broken down into a thick sauce.
    3.Stir in the fish stock, saffron and 1½ teaspoons of salt and bring to the boil. Sprinkle in the rice, stir once, then leave to simmer vigorously over a medium-high heat for 5-6 minutes.
    4.Meanwhile, cut the roasted red pepper or jarred pimientos into 1cm/½in-wide strips, removing and discarding any skin or seeds. Sprinkle them over the top of the rice and shake the pan briefly so they sink into the mixture a little. Lower the heat and leave to simmer gently for another 12 minutes. At the end of this time almost all the liquid should be absorbed and the rice will be pitted with small holes.
    5.Shortly before the rice is ready, pat the monkfish pieces dry on kitchen paper and season well with salt and a little pimentón. Heat the remaining two tablespoons of oil in a non-stick frying pan. Add the monkfish slices a few at a time and fry over a high heat for one minute on either side until very lightly coloured and almost cooked through.
    6.Lay the pieces of fish on top of the rice, turn off the heat and cover the casserole with a clean tea towel, opened-out newspaper or lid. Leave to rest for five minutes, during which time the monkfish will finish cooking through.

Quote Originally Posted by tt600
    Done this one a few times- have seem something similar in rick steins spanish book.
    This appears to be a direct copy/paste from the BBC Food website described as "By Rick Stein From Rick Stein's Spain".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/rice_ ... fish_03804

that may well have been where i extracted the details from for ease, but having done it quite a few times thought it was well worth sharing and recommending. i presume most of the recipes have to start somewhere-have i broken some rules by putting out out here this way ?- apologies if so!

my mother said to me tonight it was the best paella she'd tasted- and mothers know best!

Here are 3 absolutely different but brilliant recipe sites:

http://foodgawker.com/ [iPhone app available, too]

http://www.reallynicerecipes.com/index.php

http://www.closetcooking.com/

Pork Shoulder

I have been cooking with pork shoulder quite often lately and it is a great cut of meat that roasts or cooks in the slow cooker equally as well.

Pork, Apple and Onion Stew

1 Leek
    1 Large Onion
    1 Pork Shoulder (1k is enough for 4)
    Smoked Paprika
    Salt
    Pepper
    Flour (half a cup or so)
    Stock
    Fresh Parsley
    2 Apples

1) Mix flour, paprika, salt and pepper
    2) Coat meat and set aside
    3) Chop leek and onion
    4) Fry in a deep pan the onion and leek add butter and olive oil, lid on it and let it cook slowly
    5) Caramelise the apples after they have been cored and sliced
    6) Brown meat in a pan
    7) Add all ingredients together, stir and drop in a slow cooker with stock to cover for 6-8 hours
    8) The steps are not important to do in any order as it all goes into the slow cooker anyway
    9) Serve with kale and mash

Roasted Pork Shoulder

Garlic
    Soy
    Cayenne Pepper
    Smoked Paprika
    Ketchup
    Salt
    Pepper
    Olive Oil

1) Make a nice paste out of all this above
    2) Cut back the fat on top of the shoulder, but keep it attached at one end