closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: The recipe thread

Re: The recipe thread

Tried Nigella's brisket joint last Saturday. Very good. Cheap too.

For anyone who hasn't tried the curry recipe on page 11 of this thread, I can recommend it. You can see my earlier efforts on page 13 and I'll be making some more this week.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Hot soup ...

If you want a quickly prepared soup in this cold weather try heating V8 vegetable juice http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/sainsbur ... ce_1L.html ... it works out cheaper than many canned and packet soups and one carton is sufficient for two large bowlfuls. And TTBOMK it does not have additives.

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by junglebert
    It's a simple Thai green curry tonight, something quick and warming for a chilly December night.....
    I make a similar recipe but love a bit of chunky peanut butter in there!

I find Carbonnara is a great 15 minute meal (a 'light' version for the healthy option and a 'devil' version if you don't fancy seeing the other side of 50).

Light:
    wholemeal penne pasta
    low fat creme fraische
    1 onion
    3 cloves garlic
    pack of sliced smoked salmon
    real Italian hard cheese

Easy - saute the onions for 5 mins, add crushed garlic. Then add creme fraische, 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil and grate in some hard cheese.
    Heat for a couple of minutes then through together with salmon and pasta.

Full fat version - use white tagliatelle, full fat cream and pancetta. Yum :mrgreen:

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    For anyone who hasn't tried the curry recipe on page 11 of this thread, I can recommend it. You can see my earlier efforts on page 13 and I'll be making some more this week.

Eddie
    Think I will do one this weekend. Not made that recipe for a while.

I did do a slow cooked Asian Spiced Beef last weekend which was great. Will post the recipe tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by sestrel
    Leek and potato bake

One of our regular dishes, for good reason, its easy and yummy :)

I dont use weights, too much bother.

You will need;
    2 large leeks
    Handfull of fresh parsley, and perhaps some rosemary.
    2 big spuds, any sort you like.
    Half a big block of cheese, you choose.
    Flour, olive oil and milk for a rue
    spoon of mustard.

Trim and finely chop the leeks, saute them till soft
    Clean and slice spuds, dont peel them, its not 1950 in your mothers kitchen, lots of flavour and vitamins in the skin!
    You can then boil the spud slices till parboiled, still firm.

While they are boiling, get on with the rue, oil in first, then 2 tablespoons of plain flour, let the four cook for few mins. Next pour in the milk, A BIT at a time, first use use the whisk, then the wooden spoon. DONT let it burn OR go into a solid block. Keep adding milk until its a creamy sauce.
    Then add in the cheese and let it melt. Dont forget the mustard.

Next put the spud slices flat in a nice pyrex dish or the like, big enough to take all the mix.
    A layer of spuds, a layer of leek, a layer of cheese sauce, a handful of herbs.
    Do this untill all your mix is in the dish, sprinkle some cheese on top.

oven; gas about 6 to 9 for 30-45 mins till everthing is soft, cooked and bubbling.

Goes well with everything, or just on its own.

Mwynhewch :drunken:
    Enjoy
    Similar to something called Taffy's Pie from a Wesh recipe from a local cookbook of my mum's from the 60's, but there were layers of bacon as well...and a tin of mushroom soup instead of the rue

Asian Spiced Beef. (courtesy of a Google search)

Did this at the weekend using shoulder as I could not get Shin. Was excellent.

Ingredients For the beef
    2 onions, peeled, quartered
    5cm/2in piece fresh root ginger, peeled, sliced
    4 garlic cloves, peeled
    2 tsp ground coriander
    3 tbsp vegetable oil
    250ml/9fl oz Chinese cooking wine (or dry sherry)
    4 tbsp soy sauce
    4 tbsp dark brown sugar
    2 litres/3½ pints beef stock, preferably organic
    2 tbsp oyster sauce
    4 tbsp rice wine vinegar
    2 cinnamon sticks
    2 star anise
    3.5kg/7½lb beef shin, on the bone, cut by the butcher into thick slices (or 1kg/2¼lb beef shin off the bone, cut into large cubes)

Ingredients For the salad

3 carrots, peeled, cut into matchsticks
    4 spring onions, cut into matchsticks
    1 long red chilli, seeds removed, cut into matchsticks
    1 long green chilli, seeds removed, cut into matchsticks
    20g/¾oz bunch fresh coriander, finely chopped

Ingredients For the salad dressing

1 lime, juice only
    4 tbsp Thai fish sauce
    1 tsp caster sugar

Preparation method

Preheat the oven to 150C/300F/Gas 2.
    For the beef, blend the onions, ginger, garlic and coriander in a food processor until well combined and finely chopped.
    Heat the oil in a large casserole or ovenproof frying pan and fry the mixture over a medium heat, stirring regularly, until soft and beginning to catch in the pan; this should take about 10 minutes.
    Pour in the Chinese wine (or sherry) and let it bubble up. Add the soy sauce, brown sugar, stock, oyster sauce and rice wine vinegar and bring to a boil, then drop in the cinnamon sticks and star anise.
    Add the pieces of beef shin and let everything come up to a bubble again, then clamp on a lid and put into the oven for 2 hours (or longer if using regular stewing steak).
    Take the casserole carefully out of the oven and, using a slotted spatula, remove the beef to an ovenproof dish. Cover with foil and keep warm in the oven while you vigorously boil the sauce in the casserole (or pan) on the hob, without a lid, until it has reduced by about half.
    For the salad, combine all the julienned vegetables and the chopped coriander in a bowl.
    For the salad dressing, mix the lime juice, fish sauce and caster sugar in another bowl and dress the vegetables with this.
    To serve, arrange the beef on a serving platter and pour the reduced sauce over the meat. If you are using cubes of stewing steak, rather than slices of shin, you’d probably do better to use a deeper dish. Dress the top of the beef with the hot and sour shredded salad.

Journeyman

Looks nice but a hell of a lot of ingredients/prep!

That said, my mrs makes a lovely crispy fried beef & broccoli that I must get the recipe up for.

The recipe thread

Was sat watching Saturday kitchen on ..... well Saturday....

Decided to try the Chicken Tagine recipe which I have copied out below. Made a few minor mods with an extra preserved lemon and a handful of apricots. Also added a extra half a teaspoon of Ras-el-hanout.

It was delicious and a great alternative to a curry if you don't like things too spicy. (although a bit more spice is easy enough if you prefer)

I also did the wheat as a warm side dish with same ingredients but cooking the wheat with a mix of half stock and half water for about 15mins in a pan.

Ingredients
    For the chicken and lemon tagine
    - 50g/2oz butter
    - 1 medium chicken, cut into 10 pieces
    - 2 onions, finely chopped
    - 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
    - 5cm/2in piece root ginger, grated
    - 2 cinnamon sticks
    - 2 tsp ras-el-hanout (North African spice blend)
    - 1½ tsp salt
    - 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
    - ½ tsp ground turmeric
    - 1 tsp ground cinnamon
    - ½ tsp saffron
    - 1 preserved lemon, roughly chopped
    - 3 tbsp honey
    - 750ml/1 pint 5fl oz chicken stock
    - 150g/7oz dates, stones removed, halved
    - salt and freshly ground black pepper
    - 2 tbsp chopped fresh flatleaf parsley

For the herby tabbouleh
    - 140g/5oz bulgur wheat, soaked in cold water overnight
    - 1 red onion, finely chopped
    - 2 tomatoes, seeds removed, finely diced
    - 2 large bunches flatleaf parsley, roughly chopped
    - 1 bunch mint, roughly chopped
    - 1 bunch coriander, roughly chopped
    - 1 lemon juice only
    - 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    Shopping list
    Method
    1. For the chicken and lemon tagine, heat a large, lidded saucepan until hot, add the butter and the chicken and fry for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until golden-brown (you may need to do this in batches). Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside on a plate.
    2. Add the onions, garlic and ginger to the pan and fry for 2-3 minutes, or until softened. Stir in the spices and cook for one minute, then return the chicken to the pan and stir until the chicken is coated in the spice mixture.
    3. Add the preserved lemons, honey and stock and bring the mixture to the boil.
    4. Reduce the heat until simmering, cover with a lid and cook for 45 minutes.
    5. Add the dates and stir well, then continue to cook, uncovered, for another 30-45 minutes, or until the chicken is tender and the sauce has thickened. Season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper, then stir in the parsley.
    6. For the herby tabbouleh, drain the bulgur wheat and place into a large bowl. Add the other ingredients and stir until well combined. Season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
    7. To serve, spoon the tabbouleh onto serving plates and spoon some tagine alongside.
    Ingredients

Journeyman

Made this last night: Jamaican vegetables, beans and rice

This is a well known Jamaican family dish that was traditionally served on Mondays for using up the salty ham bone left over from the previous Sunday’s ham dinner. It's ideal for using up any leftover veg you have lurking in the back of the fridge.
    Serves 4 - 6

Ingredients
    75g streaky bacon, roughly chopped
    1 onion, peeled and chopped
    2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
    2 x 400g cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
    400ml can coconut milk
    250g leftover ham, sausage or Polish sausage cut into small pieces
    ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
    ½ teaspoon dried thyme or a few sprigs of fresh thyme leaves
    300g long grain rice
    Any leftover vegetables such as peppers, courgettes, broccoli
    Tabasco sauce
    Sea salt and ground black pepper
    Coriander sprigs

Method: H
    1. In a non-stick medium pan, add the chopped bacon and cook until the fat is released then add the onion and garlic and cook until just soft over a low heat.
    2. Add the kidney beans, coconut milk, sausage, cayenne pepper and thyme and bring to the boil. Allow it to cook, stirring for about one minute.
    3. Add the rice and 450ml boiling water, turn down the heat to barely a simmer, cover and leave undisturbed for about 25 minutes.
    4. When the rice is tender, stir gently and add any leftover vegetables and season to taste. Serve in bowls and garnish with coriander sprigs, letting people add their own spicy sauce.

Journeyman

If you like garlic mushrooms you might like to try this. Works best with whole mushrooms not so well if presliced, they're too dry. Take a 300gm pack of mushrooms (I prefer a pack with only 10-12 in it) peel and halve each one and put to one side. Take a couple of cloves of garlic and crush and slice up very finely. Take one sandwich bag, drop a layer of mushrooms in it and sprinkle garlic on top repeat till all gone. Seal the bag, and chuck it in the fridge. 24/ 48hrs later melt some butter in a small saucepan(with a well fitting lid). Open the bag and drop the whole lot in the pan and give a good shake so the mushrooms get a nice even coating of butter and season with fresh ground black pepper(or whatever you like). Replace the lid turn the heat right down and let the mushrooms sweat down. I usually turn my hob right down to number 1 this is to avoid burning the garlic which will become very bitter. Leave on the heat 10 mins(ish). Serve with the rest of your meal.
    P.S. It doesn't matter how thick your sandwich bags are, the smell of garlic will hit you like a wall every time you open the fridge door.

Ever come back off holiday with too many Toblerones,made yourself sick trying to eat it all ?
    Here's one solution.
    Break up the chocolate and slowly melt in a Bain Marie.
    In the meantime select and slice your favourite fruit,some of these work well.
    Bananas,apple,oranges cherries,melon and peaches.
    Bring the bowl to the table and using a fork try and cover your bit of fruit with chocolate before your guests get any.
    :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Cassarole with a twist

Since it seems to have snapped cold again here is a simple warming dish that anybody can make.

Fry off 4 nice sized lean lamb chops in a little olive oil until brown both sides and place to one side.
    In the same pan lightly fry off some chorizo sausage (spicy or ordinary to suit you) and put to one side with the chops.(I use about half of a chorizo)
    In the same pan fry off some onion and your choice of root veg and potatoes. Lightly caramelise the veg and put to one side. (Note you are not cooking the veg - just browning it slightly)
    Deglaze the pan with a little water and crumble in a stock cube. Make enough stock to cover your ingredients.
    arrange the fried ingredients in layers starting with some veg on the bottom of an oven proof cassarole.
    Pour in the stock and add a small handful of lentils or split peas or anything like that.
    Cook in a moderate oven until the veg is tender. Add salt and pepper to taste before serving.

Hint - tastes even better if left overnight and re-heated the next day. To vary this recipe you can add beef rather than lamb. I use braising steak cut into cubes.
    Mushrooms are also a nice addition.

Enjoy

Journeyman

Got a quick query, slightly off topic - sometimes when I get restaraunt meals with peppers in them the whole meal has a lovely infused pepper taste but whenever I cook anything at home with peppers in it you don't get that. So just wondering how I get this, maybe just lots more peppers processed in?

Quote Originally Posted by chrig
    Got a quick query, slightly off topic - sometimes when I get restaraunt meals with peppers in them the whole meal has a lovely infused pepper taste but whenever I cook anything at home with peppers in it you don't get that. So just wondering how I get this, maybe just lots more peppers processed in?
    Have you tried roasting the peppers whole, then removing the seeds and skin, before using them as an ingedient? That should make them a lot sweeter, and remove the 'raw' pepper taste.

Blog Entries

The recipe thread

On a similar note.

Just had a superb salt beef sandwich with gherkins and Coleman's mustard in Southwark. (I pop in for lunch every time I'm in the area).I liked it so much I thought it'd be worth making at home, so I looked up a recipe to make it, but what a faff?

Anyone now how to get that salt beef flavour without the week in brine and boil for hours effort?

Z

Journeyman

No, hadn't tried that Gordon but will do. Would be good to get the technique down for curries etc!

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by zelig
    On a similar note.

Just had a superb salt beef sandwich with gherkins and Coleman's mustard in Southwark. (I pop in for lunch every time I'm in the area).I liked it so much I thought it'd be worth making at home, so I looked up a recipe to make it, but what a faff?

Anyone now how to get that salt beef flavour without the week in brine and boil for hours effort?

Z
    I work in that area where was it from in Southwark? was it Degustibus by any chance (just outside Borough Market, opposite London Bridge tube entrance? Or possibly from a stall under a railway bridge, on the road that separates the two halves of Borough Market? I normally go to either of those two for my salt beef fix around there.

Blog Entries

The recipe thread

Quote Originally Posted by smoz

I work in that area where was it from in Southwark? was it Degustibus by any chance (just outside Borough Market, opposite London Bridge tube entrance? Or possibly from a stall under a railway bridge, on the road that separates the two halves of Borough Market? I normally go to either of those two for my salt beef fix around there.
    I always call in at The Royal Oak on Tabard St - just off Long Lane, opposite side to the entrance to Guys hospital.
    To avoid any confusion, http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=t ... 08594&z=17

They have a good selection of real ales too :)

Z
    (in no way affiliated btw)

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by VinceR
    Love to oblige, but I rarely (if ever cook) & the only thing I do cook is chili:

500g Beef Chunks, Preferable Steak
    18 Bird Eye Chilis, Chopped (do not remove the seeds)
    4 Habaneroes, Chopped (do not remove the seeds)
    4 New Mexican Chilis, Chopped (do not remove the seeds)
    2 Large Tomatoes, Peeled & Chopped
    2 Tablespoons Ground Cumin
    2 Tablespoons Parsley, Chopped
    Tomato Paste
    450g Tomato Sauce
    2 Large Onions
    4 Tablespoons of Blairs Insanity Source
    2 Tablespoons of Blair's Temporary Insanity Source
    150 ml beer
    1 Teaspoon of Ground Black Pepper
    1 Tablespoon Habenero Chili Powder
    4 Tablespoon Chili Powder
    4 Bottles of Beer

Directions

Sauté the onion in a small amount of chili oil until translucent, drink one bottle of beer. Bring to a simmer the tomato, tomato sauce, cumin, chili powder, parsley, Blair's sauces and ground black pepper, adding the tomato paste to thicken. Drink the 2nd bottle of beer. Now add the chili powder, habenero powder, habeneros, jalapenos & New Mexican chiles. Whilst this is simmering, drink a 3rd bottle of beer & grill the beef. Drain the meat, and season with pepper. Add the beef to the sauce along with the beer. Cook for 30 minutes & drink the 4th bottle of beer. Serve with either rice, potato wedges or skins.
    Wow ! I like hot food but im sure my arse would suffer after that amount of chilli !

Tom Yum

Made this last night - Mmm good - just like the real thing!
    Tom Yum is both hot and sour - its quick to prepare and cook (not a lot longer than boiling 1.5 l of stock)

Ingredients

~ 150g king prawns
    1.5l chicken stock (I used good stock cubes)
    2 stalks fresh lemongrass, lightly pounded, cut into 1 inch long segments
    2 table spoons fish sauce
    1/2 cup straw mushroom, halved or whole (dint have any)
    6-8 kaffir lime leaves, shredded (always kept in the freezer -)
    juice of a (small lime)
    3 sliced chile peppers (or more to suit your taste)
    2 tablespoons "prik pao" roasted chile in oil
    serve with corriander

Method

Bring chicken stock to a boil. Add lemongrass and lime leaves. Bring back to a boil then add mushrooms, fish sauce, prik pao and lime juice. Add prawns and fresh chile peppers. As soon as prawns turn pink (cooked through) serve garnished with corriander

Good old Sausage Egg chips and Beans with 3 or 4 slices of nice bread and a pot of hot tea, ummm nom nom, never fails to please once in a while :headbang:

nutta29

homemade pesto:

1/2 clove garlic
    lemon juice
    2 or 3 decent handfuls of basil leaves
    pine nuts - roasted
    salt & pepper
    bit of parmesan cheese
    olive oil

whiz it up in a blender - add to pasta - amazing!!

Quote Originally Posted by nutta29
    homemade pesto:

1/2 clove garlic
    lemon juice
    pine nuts - roasted
    salt & pepper
    bit of parmesan cheese
    olive oil

Sounds Great, think i'll give it a go...

For anyone BBQ'ing on this windy/rainy Sunday here's my current favourite marinade.

Moroccan style rub, great on chicken but I tried it on a rack of lamb ribs last weekend at it was spot on :thumbright: This is a rough guide you can increase or decrease amounts of spice to your taste.

4 teaspoons of cumin seeds
    2 teaspoons smoked paprika
    1 teaspoon on black peppercorns
    1 teaspoon of sea salt
    1 teaspoon of oregano
    1 chopped dried chillies (more if you like it hot)
    1 clove of garlic (optional)
    a little grated ginger (optional)
    chopped coriander (optional)

You may need to increase the quantities dependent on how much meat you want to cover but the above should be good for 2-3 chicken breasts, I like a good covering so you get a good flavour/chillie bite.

Place all the dry ingredients in a pastel & mortar and get grinding then add the garlic & ginger and continue to bash it up. Now place it in a plastic bag with your chicken, lamb or veg with some chopped coriander and shake till it's covered, keep refrigerated overnight for best results but can be used straight away. If your using it straight away then use a little olive oil to help it cover the meat.

Also works well with chopped chicken or lamb with couscous, cook meat and spices in a large pan then add 1 pint of stock(those knorr stockpots are good if you havn't tried them) add partly steamed/cooked veg (courgette, carrots, mini corn etc..) when all cooked pour remaining stock over some couscous (may need more boiling water) and cover till ready.

Quick snack ...

Nairns Rough Oatmeal Oatcakes

Honey (preferable some decent tasting single flower honey)

One bar LINDT Chile Chocolate

Spread honey on each oatcake
    Break a few squares of the chile chocolate and stick a few pieces onto the honey on each oatcake

Eat and enjoy with coffee.

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Quote Originally Posted by nutta29
    homemade pesto:

1/2 clove garlic
    lemon juice
    pine nuts - roasted
    salt & pepper
    bit of parmesan cheese
    olive oil

I love this pesto, I just don't add the lemon juice.

My favourite sauce to pasta is sweet tomato sauce. It's so great and incredibly easy.

First you caramelize sugar in the pan. Then you add cherry tomatos (sliced in half) and fry it for a while, adding water after ~30sec. You can also add butter if you want to, but I mostly do it without. Season it with salt (I also use a bit of chilly) and fry until most of the water is gone and sauce gets the slick look.

So you need:

sugar
    cherry tomatos
    water
    salt
    (chilly, butter)

Bon apetit

Craftsman

when I was living in Spain I made apple crumble for the people I was living with they loved it

I followed this recipe.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H85du...layer_embedded

Craftsman

following on from the crumble I made, my flatmates taught me to make lots of tapas dishes, my favourite is Secreto which is beef neck, a cut that's hard to find in the UK but I recommend trying it when you're abroad!

the easiest dish to make is meatballs in a tomato sauce, the recipe is the same as this just without chorizo, but I think it would be better with it anyway, so i'm going to try it soon!

http://www.cookuk.co.uk/ethnic/spanish/ ... topped.htm

did not know that

If you do, I have mastered the perfect strogg!

Please make it and tell me what you think. I've got a load on the hob now and will be served with rice and garlic and rosemary roasties.

Easy and cheap to make too.

For 4 people-
    500g + frying steak cut in chip sized strips dusted with paprika. Fry with 1/2 a large chopped onion. Add 1 level spoon of French mustard,Worcester sauce,brandy,Tom purée.lemon juice or vinegar,1 oxo cube,1pt water. Simmer for 90 mins til meat tender. Watch water does not boil dry should be a thickish jus when done coating meat add 200g sliced mushrooms and 1 pint cream and 2oz flour blended with 2oz melted margarine or butter. Add to strogg until thick enough simmer for 15 mins stiring often but careful not to break up meat. happy cooking

You're a dab hand at this cooking malarkey mate, when's the bistro opening? :D

Like Marmite? Really like Marmite???

Try this....

Boil rice as directed with a small jar of Marmite added to the water (take it out the jar first!)

When cooked drain but keep the juice.

Add LOTS of grated cheese to the cooked rice.

Stir.

Add Marmite juice as needed until cheese is melted.

Stick it all in a shallow ovenproof dish.

Top with sliced tomatoe and more cheese.

Whack under grill till cheese bubbling.

Eat.

Praise the god of Marmite :!: :)

Journeyman

An extravagant one: :D

Stuffed Camel

1 whole camel, medium size

1 whole lamb, large size

20 whole chickens, medium size

60 eggs

12 kilos rice

2 kilos pine nuts

2 kilos almonds

1 kilo pistachio nuts

110 gallons water

5 pounds black pepper

Salt to taste

Skin, trim and clean camel (once you get over the hump), lamb and chicken. Boil until tender. Cook rice until fluffy. Fry nuts until brown and mix with rice. Hard boil eggs and peel. Stuff cooked chickens with hard boiled eggs and rice. Stuff the cooked lamb with stuffed chickens. Add more rice. Stuff the camel with the stuffed lamb and add rest of rice. Broil over large charcoal pit until brown. Spread any remaining rice on large tray and place camel on top of rice. Decorate with boiled eggs and nuts. Serves friendly crowd of 80-100.

I was going to do the camel one this afternoon but the butcher let me down so I'm going with the Beef Madras at the beginning of this thread again. I've made it 4 times now and always tweak it slightly each time. I roasted and ground all the seeds last night to save a bit of time today and this time I'll try it with chicken instead of beef.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

I was going to do the camel one this afternoon but the butcher let me down so I'm going with the Beef Madras at the beginning of this thread again. I've made it 4 times now and always tweak it slightly each time. I roasted and ground all the seeds last night to save a bit of time today and this time I'll try it with chicken instead of beef.

Eddie
    So, chicken madras then? Not beef madras at all.
    :D
    So clever my foot fell off.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana

Eddie
    So, chicken madras then? Not beef madras at all.
    :D
    :lol: fantastic!
    It's just a matter of time...

Eddie
    How did it go Eddie.... thought about doing both Lamb and Chicken versions but not got round to it. My worry with the slow cook method is that Chicken could be overdone.

Quote Originally Posted by b11ocx

Eddie
    How did it go Eddie.... thought about doing both Lamb and Chicken versions but not got round to it. My worry with the slow cook method is that Chicken could be overdone.
    Done it the slow cook way Jon but left the chicken out until the last hour :)
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK

Eddie
    Clever boy, that's what I did too :wink: .

Eddie

PS. I usually buy a pack of 3 chillis from Morrisons for 50p and until this week they were from Mozambique. This week they were from Ethiopia and blew me bloody 'ead off.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK

Eddie
    Clever boy, that's what I did too :wink: .

Eddie

PS. I usually buy a pack of 3 chillis from Morrisons for 50p and until this week they were from Mozambique. This week they were from Ethiopia and blew me bloody 'ead off.
    It was obvious really....

Did the spicing work for chicken as it is a much more subtle flavour ?

Curried Tuna in Pitta bread.

I am not a fan of tinned tuna but now and again i will eat it and this is how.

olive oil
    pitta bread
    Tin of tuna
    1 Onion
    garlic
    ginger
    curry powder
    chili powder

Two tablespoons of olive oil into a frying pan, chuck in the chopped onion and cook until brown and soft or however you like your onions. Chuck in a chopped garlic clove and cook for 1 min, throw in two teaspoons of curry powder and half a teaspoon of chili powder and mix. Add one tin of tuna in olive oil (if you have tuna in brine then drain it beforehand and pour a little olive oil into the tin and let the tuna absorb it, this helps it from drying out when cooking), now throw in a teaspoon of chopped ginger and heat through, this should take about two minutes. Put it on a plate and eat or serve them in pitta breads .

Quote Originally Posted by studly
    Sounds nice, I reckon the kids will like that if I temper the chili a bit.

Simple recipe of guacemole (also the best one IMO):

3 ripe avocados
    2 garlic cloves
    The juice from one lemon
    salt and pepper

MIXXX!

Done!

I thought I'd posted this in here at the time of making it but seems not.

Thought some of you may find it of interest.

Just so we are clear here, I’m no chef, so we’re not talking restaurant level stuff here, just the basics.
    All the ingredients you see in the pictures are readily available in the supermarkets. One thing I did struggle with was salmon and/or trout roe, so substituted it with lumpfish caviar, but didn’t use it in the end.

Rice wine vinegar, sesame oil & mirin to optionally season the rice. Soy sauce as a dip, wasabi paste (green horse radish) & pickled ginger for additional flavours.

Fresh ingredients are - carrot, cucumber, spring onion, chilli & mushrooms. Ginger, lettuce and lemon were used for flavouring and/or decoration.

The seafood used was - salmon, mackeral, tuna & talapia. Any fish can be used, it all depends on your preference.

First thing that you need to do is prep the rice.

Soak it for a good 30 minutes to remove the excess starch

Boil until the rice is soft to the touch

Drain the rice off and either leave to cool to room temperature or do as I do and run cold water through it to cool it down; this also removes further starch

Next you need to prep your veg. All this involves is cleaning, cutting and slicing it into strips. Don't go too thick as your sushi rolls will be too big. 5mm thickness should do it

The mushrooms are sliced and sauted with olive oil and sesame oil with cracked black pepper and left to cool

Next up is to prep the fish

The makeral takes the most patience as it is a fragile fish and needs a lot of bones removing. Your fish monger will do it for you if you are not confident enough. So, bones out and skin off

Salmon is just skin off and slice up

The tuna and talapia are just a case of slicing to size

Ok, so thats the lengthy prep work done and all that's required now is to roll it

Place your mat on a flat hard surface in a landscape position and have a brush and water ready

Place a sheet of nori (dried seaweed) with its shiny side up on to the mat

Now spread an even thin layer of rice over the nori, making sure you leave a 15-20mm edge at the top to seal the roll

Place whatever ingredients you like on the rice at the edge closest to you. Just use three or four at a time

Brush the top edge with water

Now pick up the near edge of the mat and start to roll, ensuring nori tucks in as you begin

There you have your sushi.

All that is needed now is to cut it up and eat it.

I also made a couple of cones. That just invloves cutting the nori sheet in half and rolling into a cone

These are great for parties as they are seen as pretty upmarket stuff but can be made relatively cheap.

These are how they turned out

So that's it! I hope this is of some use to you and gives you the confidence to try it, rather than being robbed at the shops for it.

JK
    Last edited by Jon Kenney; 7th January 2023 at 05:02.

Wow nice post JK! I absolutely love japanese food :P

Craftsman

Looks like you might need something to fill you up after that:)

Corned Beef Hash, we used to make it a while ago and it dropped out of use, there are some quite poncy recipes about, but saw this was in the Telegraph a while back is now becoming a regular again.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink ... qus_thread

Old potatoes, peeled and cut into 1.5cm cubes, boiled for 10 mins and well drained
    3-4 onions, roughly chopped and fried until golden
    tin of corned beef, cut into chunks
    a dash of Worcestershire sauce
    lard

In a large bowl mix the corned beef, potato, onion, Worcestershire sauce and pepper together with a fork. I didn't add salt as the corned beef has quite lot in it.

Heat lard in a large frying-pan. Tip the hash into the pan and flatten. Cook for about 10 minutes, shaking the pan from time to time. When a crust has formed on the bottom of the hash put a plate over the top and turn the whole thing over. Put some more lard in the frying-pan and Slide the hash back into the pan with the crust now on top. Cook for a further 10 minutes, until there is a crust on the bottom.

Baked beans with butter & black pepper to finish off:

Quote Originally Posted by studly

I am not a fan of tinned tuna but now and again i will eat it and this is how.

olive oil
    pitta bread
    Tin of tuna
    1 Onion
    garlic
    ginger
    curry powder
    chili powder

Two tablespoons of olive oil into a frying pan, chuck in the chopped onion and cook until brown and soft or however you like your onions. Chuck in a chopped garlic clove and cook for 1 min, throw in two teaspoons of curry powder and half a teaspoon of chili powder and mix. Add one tin of tuna in olive oil (if you have tuna in brine then drain it beforehand and pour a little olive oil into the tin and let the tuna absorb it, this helps it from drying out when cooking), now throw in a teaspoon of chopped ginger and heat through, this should take about two minutes. Put it on a plate and eat or serve them in pitta breads .
    Just tried this but substituted curry powder with garam masala, not bad at all. I think I would add a tomato to the recipe as well so it is less dry.

Also that sushi post was ace, may have to try sushi this weekend :)

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp
    Just tried this but substituted curry powder with garam masala, not bad at all. I think I would add a tomato to the recipe as well so it is less dry.

Also that sushi post was ace, may have to try sushi this weekend :)
    Tomatoes are a fine addition. For the sushi - make sure you get the sushi grade tuna. Worth paying up for, otherwise the sinews get caught in your teeth.