closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 250 of 496

Thread: The recipe thread

  1. #201
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    657

    Re: The recipe thread

    Jamie Olivers Essex fried rabbit
    taken from cabbage tree farm new zealand

    Joints of a fresh rabbit (cut off any long bones)
    Fresh rosemary
    Garlic
    Olive oil
    White wine
    Breadcrumbs
    Parmesan cheese
    Fresh thyme

    In a large lidded pan place the rabbit pieces, a good slug of olive oil, a glass of white wine, a couple of sprigs of rosemary, and a whole garlic bulb sliced in half (I would remove as much of the skins as possible as you can eat the garlic deep fried with the rabbit). Put the lid on and simmer on a very low heat for about 1 1/2 hours or until the flesh just starts to pull away from the bone slightly. If the rabbit is big you may need to cook for longer.

    When cooked, remove the rabbit and garlic from the pan. Dust in seasoned flour, then dip in beaten egg to coat, then press into a mix of fresh breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese and thyme leaves. Make sure the rabbit is well coated.

    Deep fry the coated rabbit pieces for about a minute or so until nicely golden brown. Also briefly deep fry a sprig for rosemary (about 20 secs). Drain on kitchen paper and serve with a squeeze of lemon juice.

  2. #202

    Re: The recipe thread

    You guys make me feel guilty for allowing my wife to do all the cooking!!

  3. #203

    Re: The recipe thread

    Great Idea

    Just had a read through, and there's some great sounding recipes here. Going to have to give some of them a go this week I think

  4. #204
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Tunbridge Wells
    Posts
    26

    Re: The recipe thread

    Easy Sunday Roast
    get a LeCrueset casserole
    Chuck in some halved shallots, some bashed bits of garlic, thyme rosemary
    mash some butter and olive oil up with some ground cumin and Parika or any other herb spice combo you like rub it all
    over a leg of lamb and put in the casserole.Season with salt (malden sea salt please) and pepper
    Pour in some red wine so that it goes a third of the way up the meat
    cover and put in a low oven, no more than 140/150 for 4 hours.
    uncover for the last 45 minutes

    Watch telly for a bit or play with the dog
    At some point peel some Maris Piper spuds and gently boil for 10 minutes
    Drain and let them sit for 30 minutes or so. You do want to agitate them in the pan so they go fluffy

    An hour before serving put a roasting tray with Dripping or goose fat in another hotter oven (about 200 degrees)
    (If you dont have two ovens then take the meat out and let it rest, its probably fine after 3 hours and you could heat it up later)


    The roasties need basting first and then 30 minutes later, let them sit in the fat so that the bottem gets all cruncy

    Steam some veggies, carrots ,broccoli, boil some peas.

    Take the meat out carefully, it will be falling apart.
    Pour thejuices into a jug and skim the fat off the top and put back into the casserole,
    heat it up and stir in about two tablespoons plain flour and cook for a minute or so, pour in some of the juices and whisk up, add the rest. You should have a nice thick gravy.

    You could also serve with Red cabbage:
    using a large non stick saucepan with a tight lid
    Finely slice a red cabbage and a red onion and 2 garlic cloves.
    Put in pan with a peeled chopped cooking apple
    and the following:
    2 glugs of red wine vinegar or cider vinegar
    2 glugs of apple juice
    2 Table spoons soft brown sugar
    2 teaspoons each of:
    Ground Ginger, cinamon
    Some ground nutmeg, 6 juniper berries, a piece of star anise
    and some (malden) salt and pepper to taste.
    Cook very gently on top of the stove for an hour at least till the cabbage is soft(make sure it doesnt stick, if it looks like sticking or druying out add a liitle apple juice.
    After that take some bacon and cut into match sticks, fry in a little olive oil and mix oil and bacon into the red cabbage with a spoon full of flour to soak up the juices.

    Marcus

  5. #205

    Re: The recipe thread

    Quick and easy kebab's



    I normally roast rabbit whole but when i have a few the easiest thing to do is take a strip of meat from each side of the spine.
    You don't have to gut them and if your not worried about saving the skins then removing the meat like this only takes about a minute per rabbit.



    Start by pinching the skin in the middle of the back and push your knife through and cut up.



    Then you just grab either side of this cut and pull the skin in opposite
    directions ,it will come away very easily.





    Just cut down each side of the spine and you get a nice strip of meat.



    Plain or with honey and mustard marinade



    Bung them on the BBQ :)


  6. #206
    Grand Master GraniteQuarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Aberdeen, UK
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: The recipe thread

    ^^^

    Very interesting!

    I've never had rabbit, what's it like? My mum used to eat it a lot when she was a kid in the 1940s :)

  7. #207
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Tunbridge Wells
    Posts
    26

    Re: The recipe thread

    That would be good with a teriyaki marinade too,
    Great post

  8. #208
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    657

    Re: The recipe thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ffvk


    WOW!


    Interesting

    but..............
    not as intersting as your mega quick 50 post count so you can sprint your way into the sales section :roll:
    the people on here are far to quick thinking for that my friend :bounce:

  9. #209
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    London
    Posts
    864

    Weightwatchers Coq au Vin

    OK, here's one we had last night (Mrs S Works is on a diet, so by proxy so am I). Initially I was sceptical, but it was delicious served with brown rice, peas and a nice bottle of Malbec.

    3 rashers good quality dry cured bacon (Denhay is recommended)
    ~200g small shallots, whole
    2 clove garlic, crushed
    600 g skinless chicken leg
    1/2 bottle red wine
    1 chicken stock cube, dissolved in 200 ml boiling water
    175 g button mushrooms, whole
    Couple of bay leaves
    2 tbsp plain flour
    Pinch salt
    Teaspoon-ish of pepper
    2 tbsp brandy
    1 tbsp tomato purée
    Sugar to taste

    Chop the bacon into small pieces and fry up until brown in a pan in its own fat.

    Add the shallots, garlic and thighs and sauté them for about 5 minutes, until beginning to turn brown. Add the brandy and flame it off.

    Add the flour and stir it round. Reduce the heat right down, add the mushrooms, stock, wine, tomato purée, bay leaves, and salt & pepper to season.

    Cover and simmer gently for 1.5hrs on a low heat. Taste and see if the flavours are balanced, season with sugar, salt and pepper as required. Reduce further as required until you have a lovely flavoursome gravy-like sauce and serve when you're ready.

  10. #210
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Cheshire, England, UK
    Posts
    208

    Re: The recipe thread

    Open a tin of anchovies.
    Drain the olive oil off it into a pan on a decent heat.
    Soften some onions in the oil and then chuck in a tin of tomatoes.
    Add a tin of sardines (preferably in a tomato sauce).
    Chop the anchovies (I just use scissors) into the pan.
    Chuck in a big handful of raisins (the 'secret' ingredient)
    Simmer for 10 minutes or so, stirring occasionally.

    Fantastically healthy and delicious. Best served with pasta or rice but it's pretty filling so don't go mad. Feel free to chuck chilli in (or Jamaican Hot Sauce is good) if you prefer it hot.

    Lots of people who thought they hated sardines, anchovies, etc. have tried this and absolutely love it.

    Simon

  11. #211
    Craftsman Crispin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Honah Lee
    Posts
    955

    Re: The recipe thread

    Lots of curry recipes, this simple rice recipe will make things a little more special. The red food colouring (can use orange) is applied as a couple of thin lines, and is not mixed until step 7, which will then give you yellow rice with red (or orange) flecks. I have cooked this many times. You could try adding cashews when the sultanas go in, though I have never tried this.

    Regards

    Chris

    Pillau Rice

    Ingredients:

    ½ onion (finely chopped)
    6 green cardamom pods
    4 cloves
    1 cinnamon stick
    1 tablespoon ghee or vegetable oil

    2 cups rice
    3 cups water
    1 teaspoon turmeric powder
    1 teaspoon salt

    Red food colouring
    Handful sultanas

    Method:

    1. Fry the onion in oil until translucent, add cardamom, cloves and cinnamon and cook for 1 minute.
    2. Add the rice and turmeric powder and coat all grains with the oil.
    3. Pour in water and add salt, then bring to the boil, and when boiling turn down to very low heat with a lid on.
    4. After 5 minutes stir carefully and cover and cook for another 3 minutes.
    5. Take off heat, make a line with the food colouring and sprinkle sultanas on top.
    6. Leave to stand covered for 10 minutes.
    7. Stir rice to mix and serve.

  12. #212
    Craftsman Crispin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Honah Lee
    Posts
    955

    Re: The recipe thread

    This middle eastern spiced dish, although not a curry, goes very well with the pillau rice recipe I posted, or if you prefer, couscous. It's really simple, but very nice.

    Cheers
    Chris

    Beef Marrakesh

    Ingredients (A):

    1 tablespoon oil
    1 large onion (diced)
    2 teaspoons crushed garlic
    750 gm stewing beef

    Ingredients (B):

    1 tablespoon cumin powder
    1 tablespoon coriander powder
    1 tablespoon turmeric powder
    ¼ teaspoon cinnamon powder
    2 cinnamon sticks
    ¼ cup sultanas
    ½ cup apricot nectar
    ½ cup beef stock

    Method:

    1. Fry onion and garlic for 1-2 minutes, and put aside.
    2. In new oil, brown beef in small batches, and put aside.
    3. Fry spices for 1-2 minutes, add onion and beef and the remaining ingredients (B), then slow cook in the oven until the beef is tender.

  13. #213
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    .se
    Posts
    359

    Re: The recipe thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Jestermedia
    Fantastically healthy and delicious.
    Great one Simon! Really quick as well, definitely something I'll make again.
    Tried it this evening since I got home late and needed something relatively simple, added some fresh tomatoes too.

  14. #214
    Grand Master sundial's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Cambridgeshire
    Posts
    13,320

    Re: The recipe thread

    The Alaskan King Salmon fishing season is now in full swing until July and most supermarkets should have FRESH King Salmon on sale eg Waitrose had some today £20 per kilo. Fresh wild salmon is absolutely delicious cooked and much tastier than the farmed varieties. Unfortunately farmed salmon varieties are full of IVERMECTIN based pesticide (fed to the farmed stocks) to kill all the salmon parasites which thrive in salmon farms. Nobody knows the long term effects of ivermectin on the human population consumed by eating farmed fish. However, wild salmon has no such pesticide and tastes very much better than the farmed varieties. I was lucky to find two fillets of wild salmon in Waitrose reduced to £9.99 per kilo and cooked them this evening. The fish is so easy to cook - just pre-heat the oven to gas Mk 5 or Mk 6 - prepare the salmon by adding two or three desertspoons of olive oil to an oven dish - place the fillets in the dish and move them around so they are covered in oil - add some herbs eg mixed fish herbs comprising rosemary and freshly ground pepper and sea salt and rub them into the fish - then add cider vinegar (enough to show in the bottom of the dish - do not cover the salmon with it) and give the whole lot a good turning over in the dish finally leaving the fillets skin side down. Cover the dish with aluminium foil and bake/baste in the oven for 20 to 30 minutes until cooked and then serve with mixed salad and wholemeal bread with butter. Delicious. And the cooked salmon is equally tasty served cold.

    Hope you try some and enjoy it.

    dunk
    "My friends, as I have discovered myself, there are no disasters, only opportunities. And, indeed, opportunities for fresh disasters ..." … Boris Johnson … After being sacked from the Tory front bench, 2004

  15. #215

    Re: The recipe thread

    Does anybody know the best way to cook Haloumi cheese on the BBQ? I've tried loads of heat - burns too quick, and ends up burnt, and I've tried the low heat method - didn't work either, just made a mess of my grill, and as it's on my "outdoor man cooker" I've got to clean it!!!

    HELP :x :x :x

  16. #216
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    London
    Posts
    864

    Re: The recipe thread

    Quote Originally Posted by paul668n
    Does anybody know the best way to cook Haloumi cheese on the BBQ? I've tried loads of heat - burns too quick, and ends up burnt, and I've tried the low heat method - didn't work either, just made a mess of my grill, and as it's on my "outdoor man cooker" I've got to clean it!!!

    HELP :x :x :x
    Make sure you don't slice it too thin to start off with, that way it'll keep it's shape better and you can cook for longer over a lower heat towards the edge of the BBQ. I generally give mine a very light brush of olive oil using a pastry brush and season with a little salt & pepper. Then once it's off drizzle a little clear honey over it with a squeeze of fresh lemon/lime.

  17. #217

    Re: The recipe thread

    As we're well and truly into barbecue season, here's a few I like (none are my own, they're all from "proper" chefs):

    Thin steak quickly done on the barbecue, then onto sliced bloomer style bread, toasted on one side only. On the untoasted side of the bread, spread your condiment of choice, a few rocket/salad leaves, steak on top, then another slice of toasted bread on top, toasted side on the outside.

    Mussels cook very well in a foil "bag" with a glass of white wine and a finely diced shallot. Add a finely sliced chili for a bit of extra heat.

    Lamb steaks go well with a feta, olive oil, lemon juice, fresh thyme and fresh oregano dressing.

    Is it too early to start suggesting drinks?

  18. #218
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Clitheroe, Lancs
    Posts
    703

    any chili con carne fans?

    i love it and am always looking for new recipes.

    last night i made nigella's version

    like so -

    http://www.nigella.com/recipe/recipe...l.aspx?rid=200

    except i didn't get as far as the cornbread topping.

    i had a bit of a late start and only finished 1am :D. i did, however, have a bit for breakfast (very good) and I'm looking forward to supper tonight.

    if anyone has any similar recipes, please post them up - I'd love to try them. i'd give almost anything a shot - it doesn't have to be a chili, or even a main dish, just something that you like.

    cheers :)

  19. #219
    Grand Master magirus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Up North hinny
    Posts
    31,159

    Re: any chili con carne fans?


  20. #220
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Clitheroe, Lancs
    Posts
    703

    Re: any chili con carne fans?



    fancy missing the sticky at the top of the page - sorry all.

    could a passing mod maybe move this across?

    thanks.

    ETA - thank you :lol:

  21. #221
    Grand Master Glamdring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Doncaster, UK
    Posts
    16,647

    Re: The recipe thread

    Sainsburys' venison burgers. Excellent.

  22. #222
    Master zelig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Cherrytown, Glos, UK
    Posts
    6,930
    Blog Entries
    67

    Re: The recipe thread

    Linguine with Courgettes (from some Aussie chef on Saturday kitchen ages ago)
    Takes 10 mins and tastes great :D

    Ingredients

    Courgette (1 per person)
    Anchovies
    Garlic 1 clove
    Crushed dried chillies
    Linguine
    Olive Oil - extra virgin

    Method

    Good dollop of olive oil in the pan (skillet)
    add crushed garlic
    add ~1/2 tsp crushed chillies (to taste)
    add anchovies - about 6

    Dissolve anchovies in the oil/garlic/chili mix
    Grate in the courgette (coarse)
    if the oil is all absorbed add a little more
    When the pasta is ready add to the skillet with the courgette mix
    toss the pasta into the courgette and serve with crusty bread and a good Shiraz
    (got a Hardy's reserve silver medal winner for from Tesco which worked really well)

    Takes 10 mins while the pasta cooks

    You can do the same mix then add king prawns/seafood and brocolli instead of courgette for a seafood linguine

    Enjoy

  23. #223
    accio
    Guest

    Re: The recipe thread

    i must write 50 post for to sell :?

  24. #224
    Administrator swanbourne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Sheffield, England
    Posts
    46,306

    Re: The recipe thread

    Quote Originally Posted by accio
    i must write 50 post for to sell :?
    I can assure you, you're never going to reach 50 posts :twisted: .

    Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

  25. #225
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Salzburg, Austria
    Posts
    16,435

    Re: The recipe thread

    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by accio
    i must write 50 post for to sell :?
    I can assure you, you're never going to reach 50 posts :twisted: .

    Eddie

    :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
    We can't stop here, this is bat country.


  26. #226
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    657

    Re: The recipe thread

    Quote Originally Posted by accio
    i must write 50 post for to sell :?
    see ya!

  27. #227
    Craftsman Crispin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Honah Lee
    Posts
    955

    Re: The recipe thread

    Quote Originally Posted by accio
    i must write 50 post for to sell :?
    Ah, a recipe for disaster !

  28. #228
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,515

    Re: The recipe thread

    Quote Originally Posted by accio
    i must write 50 post for to sell :?
    He's certainly cooked his goose!

  29. #229
    Grand Master GraniteQuarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Aberdeen, UK
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: The recipe thread

    Quote Originally Posted by simonrah
    Quote Originally Posted by accio
    i must write 50 post for to sell :?
    He's certainly cooked his goose!
    He got plucked!

  30. #230
    Master zelig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Cherrytown, Glos, UK
    Posts
    6,930
    Blog Entries
    67

    Re: The recipe thread

    Quote Originally Posted by accio
    i must write 50 post for to sell :?
    not the sharpest ...

  31. #231
    Master Mr Stoat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    3,827

    Re: The recipe thread

    Just cooked this up and woofed it down tonight - damn tasty :)


    Quote Originally Posted by Crispin
    This middle eastern spiced dish, although not a curry, goes very well with the pillau rice recipe I posted, or if you prefer, couscous. It's really simple, but very nice.

    Cheers
    Chris

    Beef Marrakesh

    Ingredients (A):

    1 tablespoon oil
    1 large onion (diced)
    2 teaspoons crushed garlic
    750 gm stewing beef

    Ingredients (B):

    1 tablespoon cumin powder
    1 tablespoon coriander powder
    1 tablespoon turmeric powder
    ¼ teaspoon cinnamon powder
    2 cinnamon sticks
    ¼ cup sultanas
    ½ cup apricot nectar
    ½ cup beef stock

    Method:

    1. Fry onion and garlic for 1-2 minutes, and put aside.
    2. In new oil, brown beef in small batches, and put aside.
    3. Fry spices for 1-2 minutes, add onion and beef and the remaining ingredients (B), then slow cook in the oven until the beef is tender.

  32. #232

    Re: The recipe thread

    Chicken and Seafood Paella

    There’s loads of different ingredients you can use and like many of the other dishes on here there’s loads of different ways to make this. This one though works for me. It’ll serve 4 adults comfortably.
    I’ve put any substitute for various items in next to their descriptions:
    Ingredients:
    4 cups of rice (get the paella one – most supermarkets sell it now)
    4 cups of water
    2 spoons of tomato paste (I’ve also used tomato sauce which seems to work)
    3 cloves of garlic
    2 chopped tomatoes diced
    2 sliced red peppers
    I large chicken breast diced
    400g of Shrimps
    400g fresh squid cleaned and sliced
    Juice of half a lemon
    1 and a half cubes of bouillon
    Colouring – can be bought from most supermarkets specifically for paella
    1 teaspoon of saffron threads
    1 teaspoon paprika
    Salt
    Oil

    Also a large flat bottomed frying pan or ideally a paella pan which is like a flatter bottomed wok but with a small handle either side. You can get them pretty cheapily from most supermarkets nowadays and still use as a frying pan later on if you want.

    Heat olive oil (enough to cover base of pan) in frying pan and brown the garlic cloves then put them aside. Do the same with the tomatoes, peppers (until they’re soft) , chicken and quid until cooked through. Doing them separately works best but I know people who do them together to save time.

    Add rice into the pan (there should be olive oil left from the frying. If not add some more as the rice needs to be wet in the oil) add a teaspoon of salt the paprika and the tomato paste/sauce. Fry the rice a bit until slightly golden and transparent. Don’t let it burn and go brown.

    Also put the water with the garlic cloves( smashed up) the cubes of bouillon, the colouring, the lemon juice and the saffron into a saucepan. Bring it to the boil and let simmer very slowly.

    Once your rice is done add all the other fried ingredients peppers, tomatoes etc. Add the cooking liquid from the saucepan. Stir it once and dont stir it too after this as it'll get mushy. Its normal for a bit of rice to stick to the bottom.

    You then need to cook it for around 20 minutes - on a high heat for half the time then medium heat for the rest. If the rice is not cooked (taste a bit) after 20 minutes but the waters disappeared then add a small amount of boiling water. Once the rice is cooked through then remove from the heat and let stand for 5 minutes.

    I cook mine in a preheated medium to high oven although you can equally leave it on the stove.
    Enjoy

  33. #233

    Re: The recipe thread

    Quote Originally Posted by zelig
    Linguine with Courgettes (from some Aussie chef on Saturday kitchen ages ago)
    Takes 10 mins and tastes great :D

    Ingredients

    Courgette (1 per person)
    Anchovies
    Garlic 1 clove
    Crushed dried chillies
    Linguine
    Olive Oil - extra virgin

    Method

    Good dollop of olive oil in the pan (skillet)
    add crushed garlic
    add ~1/2 tsp crushed chillies (to taste)
    add anchovies - about 6

    Dissolve anchovies in the oil/garlic/chili mix
    Grate in the courgette (coarse)
    if the oil is all absorbed add a little more
    When the pasta is ready add to the skillet with the courgette mix
    toss the pasta into the courgette and serve with crusty bread and a good Shiraz
    (got a Hardy's reserve silver medal winner for from Tesco which worked really well)

    Takes 10 mins while the pasta cooks

    You can do the same mix then add king prawns/seafood and brocolli instead of courgette for a seafood linguine

    Enjoy
    Good job, her indoors is pescitarian so this works nicely, it also just about fits under my maximum attention span for cooking anything of 15 minutes.

  34. #234
    Master zelig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Cherrytown, Glos, UK
    Posts
    6,930
    Blog Entries
    67

    Re: The recipe thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopie1

    Good job, her indoors is pescitarian so this works nicely, it also just about fits under my maximum attention span for cooking anything of 15 minutes.
    Hope you like(d) it.
    If your pescitarian is anything like mine - go easy on the chillies :lol:
    z

  35. #235

    Re: The recipe thread

    That sounds good, I think I might try it!

  36. #236
    Craftsman Crispin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Honah Lee
    Posts
    955

    Re: The recipe thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Stoat
    Just cooked this up and woofed it down tonight - damn tasty :)
    Thanks for the feedback, really simple recipe but tastes great.

    Cheers
    Chris

  37. #237

    Re: The recipe thread

    The Greatest Chili you will ever have - Sam Adams Oktoberfest Chili


    Ingredients:

    2 tsp oil
    2 onions, chopped
    3 cloves garlic, chopped
    1 lb lean ground beef
    3/4 lb cuber beef sirloin
    1 can (14oz.) diced tomatoes
    1 bottle Sam Adams Oktoberfest Beer (or another dark beer)
    1 cup strong coffee
    2 cans (6 oz.) tomato paste
    1 can beef broth
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    3-1/2 tbsp. chili sauce
    1 tbsp. cumin
    1 tbsp. cocoa powder
    1 tsp. oregano
    1 tsp. cayenne pepper
    1 tsp. corriander
    1 tsp. salt
    4 cans (15 oz.) kidney beans
    4 chopped chili peppers

    Directions:

    * Heat oil in large skillet
    * Cook onions, garlic and meats until browned
    * In either larget pot or crock pot, add tomatoes, beer, coffee, tomato paste, beef broth and meats.
    * Add spices. Stir in 2 cans beans and add chili peppers.
    * Bring to a boil, stirring frequently for 30 minutes.
    * Reduce heat to simmer for 90+ minutes.
    * Add remaining beans and simmer for another 60 minutes.

    If you cook in a crock pot, simmer as long as you want.

  38. #238
    Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Cotswolds
    Posts
    1,157

    Re: The recipe thread

    Quote Originally Posted by 5freddys
    The Greatest Chili you will ever have - Sam Adams Oktoberfest Chili


    Ingredients:

    2 tsp oil
    2 onions, chopped
    3 cloves garlic, chopped
    1 lb lean ground beef
    3/4 lb cuber beef sirloin
    1 can (14oz.) diced tomatoes
    1 bottle Sam Adams Oktoberfest Beer (or another dark beer)
    1 cup strong coffee
    2 cans (6 oz.) tomato paste
    1 can beef broth
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    3-1/2 tbsp. chili sauce
    1 tbsp. cumin
    1 tbsp. cocoa powder
    1 tsp. oregano
    1 tsp. cayenne pepper
    1 tsp. corriander
    1 tsp. salt
    4 cans (15 oz.) kidney beans
    4 chopped chili peppers

    Directions:

    * Heat oil in large skillet
    * Cook onions, garlic and meats until browned
    * In either larget pot or crock pot, add tomatoes, beer, coffee, tomato paste, beef broth and meats.
    * Add spices. Stir in 2 cans beans and add chili peppers.
    * Bring to a boil, stirring frequently for 30 minutes.
    * Reduce heat to simmer for 90+ minutes.
    * Add remaining beans and simmer for another 60 minutes.

    If you cook in a crock pot, simmer as long as you want.
    I love the sound of this, interesting with the coffee in.
    And the cocoa? However i have uzed a 70% pure cacao chocolate in Chilli before with great results!
    I think i'll have a go at this one over the weekend!
    :D

  39. #239

    Re: The recipe thread

    ads54... please post your results. I am interested to hear how you like it. :)

  40. #240
    Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Cotswolds
    Posts
    1,157

    Re: The recipe thread

    Quote Originally Posted by 5freddys
    ads54... please post your results. I am interested to hear how you like it. :)
    Awesome!

    Couldn't get Sam Adams so opted for a dark German beer instead.
    The addition of the steak is a total winner for me and is going to be a keeper in any future Chilli recipe.
    If i do it again i'll whack all the beans in so they have the full cooking time, and maybe add a couple more chillis, cos i like it hot!
    But overall, the flavours in this are great. This recipe is perfect for throwing a batch together at the start of the day, leaving it on to simmer forever then enjoying with a beer in the evening.

    Result!

    Anyone got any other variations to try?

  41. #241

    Re: The recipe thread

    Excellent! Glad you enjoyed. You can really use any good dark beer but seeing as how I "invented" this using Sam Okty, I go with it! :D

    After reading your post, I think I need to whip up a batch this weekend. US football has started here, the leaves are falling and the air becoming crisp at night. Perhaps we'll go to the orchard and pick apples and make it a super pre-Fall weekend! :)




    Quote Originally Posted by ads54
    Quote Originally Posted by 5freddys
    ads54... please post your results. I am interested to hear how you like it. :)
    Awesome!

    Couldn't get Sam Adams so opted for a dark German beer instead.
    The addition of the steak is a total winner for me and is going to be a keeper in any future Chilli recipe.
    If i do it again i'll whack all the beans in so they have the full cooking time, and maybe add a couple more chillis, cos i like it hot!
    But overall, the flavours in this are great. This recipe is perfect for throwing a batch together at the start of the day, leaving it on to simmer forever then enjoying with a beer in the evening.

    Result!

    Anyone got any other variations to try?

  42. #242

    Re: The recipe thread

    Leek and potato bake

    One of our regular dishes, for good reason, its easy and yummy :)

    I dont use weights, too much bother.

    You will need;
    2 large leeks
    Handfull of fresh parsley, and perhaps some rosemary.
    2 big spuds, any sort you like.
    Half a big block of cheese, you choose.
    Flour, olive oil and milk for a rue
    spoon of mustard.

    Trim and finely chop the leeks, saute them till soft
    Clean and slice spuds, dont peel them, its not 1950 in your mothers kitchen, lots of flavour and vitamins in the skin!
    You can then boil the spud slices till parboiled, still firm.

    While they are boiling, get on with the rue, oil in first, then 2 tablespoons of plain flour, let the four cook for few mins. Next pour in the milk, A BIT at a time, first use use the whisk, then the wooden spoon. DONT let it burn OR go into a solid block. Keep adding milk until its a creamy sauce.
    Then add in the cheese and let it melt. Dont forget the mustard.

    Next put the spud slices flat in a nice pyrex dish or the like, big enough to take all the mix.
    A layer of spuds, a layer of leek, a layer of cheese sauce, a handful of herbs.
    Do this untill all your mix is in the dish, sprinkle some cheese on top.

    oven; gas about 6 to 9 for 30-45 mins till everthing is soft, cooked and bubbling.

    Goes well with everything, or just on its own.

    Mwynhewch :drunken:
    Enjoy

  43. #243
    Master Mr Stoat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    3,827

    Re: The recipe thread

    Quote Originally Posted by sestrel
    Leek and potato bake

    One of our regular dishes, for good reason, its easy and yummy :)

    I dont use weights, too much bother.

    You will need;
    2 large leeks
    Handfull of fresh parsley, and perhaps some rosemary.
    2 big spuds, any sort you like.
    Half a big block of cheese, you choose.
    Flour, olive oil and milk for a rue
    spoon of mustard.

    Trim and finely chop the leeks, saute them till soft
    Clean and slice spuds, dont peel them, its not 1950 in your mothers kitchen, lots of flavour and vitamins in the skin!
    You can then boil the spud slices till parboiled, still firm.

    While they are boiling, get on with the rue, oil in first, then 2 tablespoons of plain flour, let the four cook for few mins. Next pour in the milk, A BIT at a time, first use use the whisk, then the wooden spoon. DONT let it burn OR go into a solid block. Keep adding milk until its a creamy sauce.
    Then add in the cheese and let it melt. Dont forget the mustard.

    Next put the spud slices flat in a nice pyrex dish or the like, big enough to take all the mix.
    A layer of spuds, a layer of leek, a layer of cheese sauce, a handful of herbs.
    Do this untill all your mix is in the dish, sprinkle some cheese on top.

    oven; gas about 6 to 9 for 30-45 mins till everthing is soft, cooked and bubbling.

    Goes well with everything, or just on its own.

    Mwynhewch :drunken:
    Enjoy
    Sounds very similar to a dish I do for myself and my daughter - we don't add the mustard (she's 4 so doesn't appreciate the taste of Colmans just yet) and when layering we also add diced and browned pieces of chicken - makes for a delicious and easy meal that slips down easily on a winters day after a long walk.

  44. #244

    Re: The recipe thread

    We have it as a side dish with some gravy, quorn sausages and green beans. Little 'un loves it thankfully.

  45. #245
    fred
    Guest

    Re: The recipe thread

    Pint good quality tomato sauce.
    Half pound pigs puddin'
    Fry black pud until just tender.
    Blitz it in the tomatoe sauce, warm, add Worcester sauce and Tabasco to taste
    Eat with NEW crusty bread and plenty of butter.
    Real ale or cold lager depending on the amount of Tabasco.

  46. #246

    Re: The recipe thread

    Starter: Mussels in White Wine and Tomato Sauce
    Main: Fillet Steak and Chips




    Mussels

    Ingredients: Mussels, 1 stalk of Celery, 1 Shallot or Onion, 2 Garlic Cloves, 1 Tin of chopped tomatoes, Large glass of White Wine.

    1. Wash and remove Mussels' beards (the stringy bits)
    2. Finely chop garlic and onion
    3. Lightly fry garlic and onion in large pan
    4. Drain half the juice from the tomatoes, add the celery, wine, tomatoes and remaining juice to the pan and bring to the boil
    5. Add the mussels to the pan, lid on and shake or stir occasionally for 5 minutes
    6. Lower heat to a simmer for 3 mins
    Serve - bin mussels that haven't opened.


    Steak & Chips

    Heat oven to highest temp
    1. Peel and chip potatoes
    2. Boil for 5 minutes
    3. In a large bowl mix Olive oil, tea spoon of hot chilli powder, a good sprinkle of sea salt
    4. Add chips to the bowl mixing them in the oil / seasoning
    5. Spread chips on a non-stick baking tray and put in oven, turn oven down to 180c for 30 mins

    Heat griddle to highest temp
    6. Rub olive oil on to both sides of the steaks and sprinkle with sea salt and pepper
    7. Put steaks on griddle and lower the pan's temperature, cook to your preference
    8. Slice a couple of large tomatoes and put those on the griddle
    Serve with a Béarnaise or Peppercorn Sauce

    Done.

    Chris.

  47. #247
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    55

    Re: The recipe thread

    ^^^ Your chips looks delicious!

  48. #248
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    London
    Posts
    73

    Re: The recipe thread

    Guinnes Glazed Leg of Ham (Gammon)

    1 x 15 LB.(6.8 KG) COOKED LEG OF HAM

    4 CUPS OF GUINNESS STOUT

    1 CUP (8 OZ.) SUGAR

    2 TEASPOONS DRY MUSTARD

    1 TEASPOON GROUND GINGER

    1 TEASPOON GROUND CARDARMON

    EXTRA 2-3 TABLESPOONS STOUT

    1 HALVED ONION

    3 CARROTS

    6 PEPPERCORNS

    WATERCRESS OR PARSLEY TO GARNIS

    To cook the ham submerge it in water for 2 hours with 2 cups of stout, the onion, carrots and peppercorns.

    Peel skin off ham, leaving portion around bone. Place ham, fat side up, in a roasting pan and pour 2 cups stout over. Bake in a moderately slow oven (325 degrees F) or (162.7 degrees C) for 3 hours, basting occasionally with stout.

    Remove ham from oven and baste with drippings. Score (to score, cut diagonally at 1” centres and only ¼” deep) diagonally to form diamond pattern. Mix sugar, mustard, ginger and cardamom and add enough stout (about the same consistency as porridge – not too runny) to moisten. Spread over ham. Increase oven temperature to hot (400 degrees F) or (204.4 degrees C) and bake ham a further 35 minutes. Serve hot, garnished with watercress. Accompany with Spiced Fruits.

    Enjoy!

    sss

  49. #249

    Re: The recipe thread

    It's a simple Thai green curry tonight, something quick and warming for a chilly December night.....

    A paste made from
    1 onion
    5 cloves garlic
    5 green bird eye chillis
    1 bunch coriander
    1 tablespoon fish sauce
    1 tea spoon shrimp paste
    1 tea spoon palm sugar
    3 kaffir lime leaves
    salt
    ground black pepper
    lime juice


    Stir fry the paste in your best wok, or failing that a frying pan, when it smells like it's good enough to eat, through in your protein (tonight it's strips of chicken thigh and tiger prawns, it's the day before payday so it's whatever's in the freezer!) when the meat has coloured, add some coconut milk and some steamed green beans or baby corn, or both. Splash in a bit more fish sauce, and some light soy if you feel like it. Of course, while you've been doing all this, you've had the presence of mind to put a pan of water on to boil to serve some jasmine rice with it.

    When the meat is cooked, and the sauce is reduced and thickened, serve it on rice and open the bottle of beer you richly deserve.

    Cheers :)

  50. #250
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Margaritaville
    Posts
    14,193

    Re: The recipe thread

    Pick up phone
    Dial Dominos
    Order
    Job done!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •