closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The recipe thread

Re: The recipe thread

going to give the chilli con carne receipe a shot tonight, looks good.

that chilli con carne looks yummy!

Before writing I say I'm from italy and my english is not that good...
    But I can assure you that this dish is sublime!

OCTOPUS IN RED WINE.

For 4 persons use a 1kg octopus.
    Cut the octopus in little parts, like 2 cm long.
    In a big high cooking pot put some olive oil with a sliced onion and some black olives.
    Cook it for two minutes.
    Put the octopus in and cook it for one minute while mixing it with onion with a wooden spoon.
    Fill the pot with still red wine (chianti is ok) until all the octopus is covered.
    Cook it for about 1 hour at medium fire.
    If necessary fill with other wine.
    And if you like it you can put in a spoon of concentrated tomato sauce.
    At the end you should have an addensed wine broth with all the octopus parts and olives swimming in!
    Serve in little pots with "fried" bread cubes and fresh sliced parsley.

Hope I can post a pic as soon as I'll repeat this recipe!

Quote Originally Posted by gaussman
    For 4 persons use a 1kg octopus.!
    It's raining quite hard in Bradford this morning, but even so I'm going to have to travel some to get me a 1Kg octo-beastie!

Quote Originally Posted by The Doc
    It's raining quite hard in Bradford this morning, but even so I'm going to have to travel some to get me a 1Kg octo-beastie!
    I was also wondering where I could find one in Sheffield. :scratch:

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne

Eddie
    Mail order octopus for next day delivery here or here

Not sure how the postie gets these through the letterbox though :lol:

Cheers,

Nigel

Quote Originally Posted by engeew

Eddie
    Mail order octopus for next day delivery here or here

Not sure how the postie gets these through the letterbox though :lol:

Cheers,

Nigel
    Will wonders never cease, mail order octopus! :)

I'd probably nip over to Grimsby to be fair. I'm sure if you talked to someone on the docks they'd be able to sort you out, but you've got my mind racing now....
    Imagine the look on my wife's face to find me ?gutting the thing on the kitchen table!!

Will.

Wow ,that looks great :P

HEALTHY CHICKEN CURRY:

Sweat down some onions into a pan, add garlic when onions are clear and soft. Cook gently from now on.
    Add some dried powder spices.. Cumin Powder, Red Chilli powder,Tumeric powder
    Add some Chopped tomatoes
    add some Chicken breast (cubed)
    add some veg... mushrooms, peppers, okra.. whatever u want to add...

The sauce is made from the water in the chicken and the tomatoes infused with the spices added. It will be saucy and tasty.

Add a spoonful per person of non fat yogurt per person to cooking (after the pan has been taken off heat).

Serve with rice how you like it. I like to boil up some rice adding a little safron and a stock cube.

Journeyman

Good one for an easy week day bite;

cover the bottom of a casserole dish with baby tomato's <red and yellow> cover with olive oil and balsamic vinager, sprinkle with oregano, thyme, rosemary and finely chopped garlic. Place 6 sausages of your choice <local butchers cumberland always good!> on top and put in the oven, about 200 for 30 mins. When done, turn sausages over and leave for another 20 mins. When done, the tomato's and herbs will have produced a gorgeous melange!

serve with either straight forward mash, or try with tagliatelle!

Works for me, and the kids love it too!

Some good ones on here, just need to get some time off to try them out. :lol:

Master

Ham/Gammon in Coca Cola

A Nigella one tried last night - yummy.

Simply simmer a gammon joint in 2litres of full fat coke - one hour per kilo - and an onion, peeled, cut in half lobbed in. Done (do a bit longer if the joint has come directly from a fridge)
    If you want to get fancy, then you can also glaze it after cooking.

Journeyman

The Chilli sounds like a blinder. Though I might reduce the amount of scotch bonnets slightly.

Cooked the best Curry I have ever had the other day. A slow cooked Beef Madras.

Ingredients:

8 whole cloves
    6 green cardamom pods
    1 2" cinnamon stick
    1 star anise
    3 t-spoons of cumin seeds
    2 t-spoons of coriander seeds
    3 t-spoons of fennel seeds
    2 t-spoons of black mustard seeds
    1 1/2 tbl spoons of fresh finely chopped ginger
    1 tbl spoon of chopped garlic
    2 large onions sliced
    2 tbl spoons of ghee
    1 tbl spoon of veg oil
    1 t-spoon of salt
    2 t-spoons of fenugreek powder
    1 t-spoon of chillie powder
    1 t-spoon of turmeric
    2 t-spoons of paprika
    2 tbl spoons of tom puree
    1 tin of toms
    1 match box size piece of creamed coconut block
    1 1/2 lbs of beef (any cut) cut into chunks
    4 or 5 t- spoons of sugar
    3 red chillies deseeded and chopped

Method:

Dry roast all the seeds ( no.s 1 to 8 on the ingredients ) then grind into a powder as finely as you can, put half the oil and half the ghee in a frying pan and fry the onions until soft, add the ginger, garlic and fry for a couple more mins, now add the spice mixture you have ground and the rest of the ghee, fry for another few minutes and add every thing alse except the meat and the remaining oil, now fry the meat in the rest of the oil until browned on all sides and add this to the rest of the dish, you can now either carry on cooking this at very low temp on the stove, low temp oven or transfer to a slow cooker, cook for a good 2 to 2 1/2 hours or more until the meat is at a melt in your mouth state.

That sounds an interesting curry Jon and I'll definitely be giving it a try, thanks for posting.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

That sounds an interesting curry Jon and I'll definitely be giving it a try, thanks for posting.

Eddie
    No probem Eddie. I did find it was perfect for me, but slightly spicy for my wife. To cure that I put half in a seperate pan and added an extra piece of creamed coconut and it took the edge off.

Journeyman

Tried the meatloaf yeaterday, Jazzed it up with a few chillis. Very nice

Master

Quote Originally Posted by b11ocx

Eddie
    No probem Eddie. I did find it was perfect for me, but slightly spicy for my wife. To cure that I put half in a seperate pan and added an extra piece of creamed coconut and it took the edge off.
    I tried this the other night and it was absolutely superb!!
    I used a couple of Scotch Bonnets rather than the 3 red chillies and served it with mushroom rice. I mentioned how good it was at work and now I've been asked to make another batch to take in!
    Thanks for posting the recipe, Jon.
    Cheers,
    Nigel

Quote Originally Posted by engeew

Eddie
    I tried this the other night and it was absolutely superb!!
    I used a couple of Scotch Bonnets rather than the 3 red chillies and served it with mushroom rice. I mentioned how good it was at work and now I've been asked to make another batch to take in!
    Thanks for posting the recipe, Jon.
    Cheers,
    Nigel
    Glad you enjoyed it. Making a big batch of it tonight as it happens as we are going away and leaving the kids at home. At least I know they will be eatin something better than a mcdonalds

Cooked the best Curry I have ever had the other day. A slow cooked Beef Madras.
    I made this today. Very, very nice indeed. Thanks for the recipe.

I'm always trying to save ££ especially on food with vegetable prices often being excessively expensive. Fresh pineapples are very often cheaper than vegetables eg cheaper than courgettes and beans - so I steam fresh pineapple pieces with the potatoes, parsnips and carrots etc. Large pineapples are frequently on offer at £1 each - sometimes less. The sweet and tangy hot pineapple creates a tasty contrast to the ordinary cooked veg.

Cheers

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Honeycomb

A load of white sugar , a couple of tablespoons of honey.

Heat in a large frying pan until caramelised, then transer to a cake tin.

Dump in a tbsp of baking powder and stir , you will see the magic happen.

VOILA HONEYCOMB!!

Quote Originally Posted by churchy
    HEALTHY CHICKEN CURRY:

Sweat down some onions into a pan, add garlic when onions are clear and soft. Cook gently from now on.
    Add some dried powder spices.. Cumin Powder, Red Chilli powder,Tumeric powder
    Add some Chopped tomatoes
    add some Chicken breast (cubed)
    add some veg... mushrooms, peppers, okra.. whatever u want to add...

The sauce is made from the water in the chicken and the tomatoes infused with the spices added. It will be saucy and tasty.

Add a spoonful per person of non fat yogurt per person to cooking (after the pan has been taken off heat).

Serve with rice how you like it. I like to boil up some rice adding a little safron and a stock cube.
    Like the sound of this..will try this week! cheers OP

Only got the ghee to get now and then I'm all set for making the slow cook beef madras. I'll see about taking lots of pictures throughout.

Eddie

Only got the ghee to get now and then I'm all set for making the slow cook beef madras. I'll see about taking lots of pictures throughout.

Eddie
    My local shop didn't have any ghee, so I used half sunflower oil / half unsalted butter instead.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob

Eddie
    My local shop didn't have any ghee, so I used half sunflower oil / half unsalted butter instead.
    I went to an Asian supermarket yesterday and I could have got the ghee then but there was only a choice of 2.5kg or 5kg tins. I think I know where I can get just 500g.

Eddie

Eddie,

Worst case just clarify some unsalted butter. Does not take long.

Journeyman

love the paste pictures

So, Pork tenderloin stew with Estragon(taragon) for nine persons:

Ingredients are a bottle of dry white wine,
    roughly 1,6 kilograms of pork tenderloin (4lbs),
    four packs of hollandaise sauce,
    one pound of mushrooms,
    Taragon, Taragon and Taragon! :lol

Side dish were potato croquettes.

Slice the tenderloin and fry them in batches, spice them with salt, pepper and taragon when in the pan. Set the fried batches aside:

While the meat is going, thinly slice the mushrooms. If applicable, delegate the mushroom chores to a nearby family member:

(Thanks dad)

When all meat is done, the pan should have a nice crust on the bottom. Cook it loose with the wine and let it boil:

Essence of taste!

When the sauce base is boiling again, add the hollandaise and the pork. Let it simmer and reduce to roughly 1/2 to 2/3 of the original amount. Liberally add taragon, salt and pepper to the mix:

This should take around 30 to 45 minutes, depending on the amount of stew. About 20 minutes before serving, get the croquettes started. The pot should look like this by now:

Immmediately before serving, add the mushrooms so the'll conserve their fresh and raw taste:

DONE!
    Serve with the croquettes and enjoy:

Dessert was a christmas-themed ice cream:

Crikey Cristian that pork looks deluxe :tongue10:

BTW good to see you back, think it's been a while since you've been around!

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry
    Crikey Cristian that pork looks deluxe :tongue10:

BTW good to see you back, think it's been a while since you've been around!
    +1

Will give this a try later this week :)
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

That pork stew has got me salivating!!!! I'll be tryimg that myself durinmg the week.

I love this time of year from a cooking point of view, because I get to make my stocks en masse and store most in the freezer.

The pots go on the stove, the carcasses/bones go in, followed by the vegetable peelings, carrot tops, sprout stems, orange skins, plate scrapings ......... lids go on and under the pot goes a low, low flame.

No-one is allowed to touch it for 2 days, I'll give the occasional peek and a quick stir and that's it. After that time, the whole lot is strained off, the fluid returned to the pot and the heat raised a touch. Bay leaves are added, seasoning to taste and then as reduction starts some of the fluid is kept back (for basic stock) and what's left is reduced further for soup stock. When the soup stock is ready it's removed and the remainder is brought up to a higher heat, red wine is added and more seasoning to taste & after a while you end up with a jus that is perfect for using as a base for gravy or just for pouring over meat. All three products are poured into empty milk containers and go into the freezer, with one of each left in the fridge and replaced as needed.

After a good Christmas the above can last us right up to Easter - at which time I start on the lamb carcasses!

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Today's the day I finally got around to making the slow cook curry featured earlier in this thread. It took several visits to local Asian shops to assemble all the ingredients, I decided to start with fresh spices as the spices I already had varied in age from a few weeks to a couple of years.

Here's all the ingredients:

The seeds were dry-roasted in an omelette pan and then pulverised in a Jamie Oliver Flavour Shaker. The only mortar & pestle we have is a wooden one which is more decorative than functional.

The ginger, chillies (de-seeded and some saved for growing next year) and garlic were chopped, ready to add to the already frying onions.

Now to start browning the beef.

Here's what the onions look like after adding all ingredients except the beef.

Now the beef is browned, it's ready to add to the rest of the ingredients.

And here is the completed curry in our ancient crock-pot ready to go into the oven for two hours cooking.

As I make this post, the curry has about another 40 minutes left to cook so it's time to go in and start on the chappatis. More pics later.

PART 2

I'm posting this second part with a full stomach :D . I mixed the chappatis using 400 grammes of chappati flour and 250 ml of water. You can add a little oil if you wish but I rarely do. If you have a bread maker, just put the flour and water in, select the "pasta dough" program (13 minutes on ours) and then leave for about an hour after mixing. The dough is then divided into roughly equal balls for rolling. The 400 gramme mix makes eight fairly large chappatis: don't worry if you don't eat them all, they freeze well and 30 seconds in the microwave is all they need.

Here's my trusty chappati skillet, found in most Asian supermarkets. Season it lightly with ghee or oil between each chappati.

They only take a couple of minutes each, turning frequently.

10 minutes later and they're ready.

Here's the last picture you will get, a few minutes later and it was all gone.

I have to say this was as close to an authentic Indian curry as I've ever made and even Carol, who isn't a great lover of curry, enjoyed it. Thanks for the recipe and I'll definitely make it again.

Eddie

mikea2

Quote Originally Posted by dadaist
    after years of mucking about with pastes, grinding this or that and stinking the house out - i watched what a takeaway was doing on youtube and it was simple and genius

what i wanted was the base sauce that restaurants use - you see them with big vats of it ladling it into other dishes

with this you can cook/marinade your meat separately. plus with the sauce being made separately you can make it beforehand and reheat - and it only gets better when it has had time to sit

it's also very healthy because it uses no oil - the sauce is boiled (!) then liquidized

1 tbsp garam masala
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp ground coriander
    some turmeric
    some paprika
    2 cardamom pods
    1/2 tsp salt

all boiled up with some roughly chopped onions, then liquidized

in a separate mug i've got a lethal "tea" brewing of dried curry leaves, methi (fenugreek) and a bay leaf

have done this about 7 or 8 times now and i'm well happy with the taste and texture

when the time comes to make the curry, i add tinned chopped tomato and minced ginger/garlic to the meat, then add the curry sauce

(obviously if you want you can put in fresh coriander and chillies - but mrs dadaist no likee)
    Sounds easy enough - going to give it a try. Cant beat a good home made curry.

Master

I think you're going to enjoy that Eddie - and some nice pics of the process.
    Is that ginger in the first pic or something reclaimed from an old Pharaoh?!?!

This recipe gets done in our household about once a week now.

Cheers,
    Nigel

I look forward to part II of your post Eddie.

Would you recommend that Jamie Oliver Shaker; mrs ralphy's expressed an interest in it so I'd like ot hear a users opinion.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy

Would you recommend that Jamie Oliver Shaker; mrs ralphy's expressed an interest in it so I'd like ot hear a users opinion.

R
    I overfilled the shaker initially Ralphy and it didn't do much. I emptied some out and shook the seeds in two batches, it seems like the ceramic ball likes a lot of free space to do its stuff. Apart from that it worked fine.

Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy

R
    I overfilled the shaker initially Ralphy and it didn't do much. I emptied some out and shook the seeds in two batches, it seems like the ceramic ball likes a lot of free space to do its stuff. Apart from that it worked fine.

Eddie
    Thanks.

We have a pestle & mortar that was SWMBO's grand-mother's originally and it's finally given up the ghost, neither of us really want to 'replace' it so a modern alternative is required.

R

I've got a big granite mortar and pestle (as championed by Jamie Oliver in his younger days), similar to this: http://www.decuisine.co.uk/cookshop/kit ... estle.html

It works very well, either grinding or bashing.

Master

It's brassic outside at the moment and while there are many recipes for great main courses it's looking a bit light on the dessert front, so here's a 5 minute chocolate cake recipe for the microwave from a newcomer. I found this on another forum I participate on and it actually works!

5 Minute Chocolate Mug Cake
    1 large coffee mug (microwave safe)
    4 tablespoons flour
    4 tablespoons sugar (Splenda works just as well)
    2 tablespoons baking cocoa
    1 egg
    3 tablespoons milk
    3 tablespoons vegetable oil
    3 tablespoons chocolate chips or chopped nuts
    Small splash of vanilla extract (If possible use real vanilla not artificial, it makes a difference)

Add dry ingredients to coffee mug and mix well.
    Add egg and mix thoroughly
    Pour in milk and oil and mix well.
    Add chips or chopped nuts and vanilla extract and mix again.
    Put the mug in your microwave and cook for 3 minutes at 1000 watts (high)
    The cake will rise over the top of the mug but don't worry.
    Allow to cool a little, run a knife along the edge and tip out of the mug and eat...

It may not turn out perfectly but the results are always very edible.

Congratulations, you are now never more than 5 minutes away from chocolate cake.

Master

just made my first apple pie.....I dont cook, at all!

so this is a momentous occasion for me. I was inspired by the f-word and liked the look of this below. Made it this afternoon and was so chuffed. Dead easy, just as well but family scoffed it down quickly. Am now on a mission to learn a curry

http://www.channel4.com/food/recipes/ch ... e_p_1.html

I have to say this was as close to an authentic Indian curry as I've ever made and even Carol, who isn't a great lover of curry, enjoyed it. Thanks for the recipe and I'll definitely make it again.

Eddie
    Glad you liked it Eddie. Looking at the photo's has made me want to make another one :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by lysanderxiii
    It is one on many "meatloaf" recipes use by the prison system for recalcitrant prisoners. It provides all the necessary nutritional elements, and very little else. It in itself it isn't bad tasting, just rather bland, but if it's all you get with water ... well you get the picture.

Incidentally, some vegetarians think this is great stuff, but I think they add seasonings.
    How bizare, why would you want to recreate prison food? All the necessary nutrients and little else, i'll take my risk with gout but some flavour thanks. :lol: :D

And here is the completed curry in our ancient crock-pot ready to go into the oven for two hours cooking.

A man after my own heart.

In amongst all the modern kitchenware we've got a few 'old faithfuls'; amongst which is a very used casserole dish from the mid-70's. Other casserole dishes have come along, but none have cooked as well as the old 'un :wink: .

That curry looks the business, I'm going to have a go at it soon.

R

Quote Originally Posted by Puller
    just made my first apple pie.....I dont cook, at all!

so this is a momentous occasion for me. I was inspired by the f-word and liked the look of this below. Made it this afternoon and was so chuffed. Dead easy, just as well but family scoffed it down quickly. Am now on a mission to learn a curry

http://www.channel4.com/food/recipes/ch ... e_p_1.html
    Meh, prefab puff pastry... :(
    Here's the recipe of the Tarta di mele, an easy to make italian variant of the universally acclaimed apple cake theme:

6 apples (I used Elstar, every sour, non-mealy variant is oK),
    2 eggs,
    150 grams sugar, 1 pack of vanilla sugar,
    100 grams flour, 1/2 pack of baking soda,
    100ml milk,
    one lemons' juice,
    a bit of butter and flour for the form.

Sqeeze the lemon, peel the apples, remove the core, slice them really fine (eg with a cucumber slicer) and mix them with the lemon juice to prevent oxidation:

Melt the butter and whip it with the other ingredients to a rather foamy dough, carefully mix the apples with the dough:

Put the mix in a buttered and floured tarte or spring form and bake it at 180 degrees celsius for 50-60 minutes:

Let it chill, sprinkle with powdered sugar and ...

...ENJOY!

Beef and Guinness Irish Stew

The Guinness stout beer not only helps tenderize the beef, it also gives a rich malty flavor to this chunky stew. My advice is to buy a 6 pack and guzzle a few while waiting for it to simmer. It is also flavored with onions, carrots, garlic, and thyme. The stew may be made on the stove-top or oven.

Prep Time: 15 minutes
    Cook Time: 2 hours, 15 minutes

Ingredients:
    2 pounds lean stewing beef
    3 Tablespoons oil
    2 Tablespoons flour
    Salt and freshly ground pepper and a pinch of cayenne
    2 large onions, coarsely chopped
    1 large clove garlic, crushed (optional)
    2 Tablespoons tomato puree, dissolved in 4 tablespoons water
    1-1/4 cups Guinness stout beer
    2 cups carrots, cut into chunks
    Sprig of thyme

Preparation:
    Trim the beef of any fat or gristle, cut into cubes of 2 inches (5cm) and toss them in a bowl with 1 tablespoon oil. Season the flour with salt, freshly ground pepper and a pinch or two of cayenne. Toss the meat in the mixture.

Heat the remaining oil in a wide frying pan over a high heat. Brown the meat on all sides. Add the onions, crushed garlic, and tomato puree to the pan, cover and cook gently for about 5 minutes.

Transfer the contents of the pan to a casserole, and pour some of the Guinness beer into the frying pan. Bring to a boil and stir to dissolve the caramelized meat juices on the pan.

Pour onto the meat with the remaining Guinness; add the carrots and the thyme. Stir, taste, and add a little more salt if necessary.

Cover with the lid of the casserole and simmer very gently until the meat is tender -- 2 to 3 hours. The stew may be cooked on top of the stove or in a low oven at 300 degrees F. Taste and correct the seasoning. Scatter with lots of chopped parsley.

6 servings

Orange Marmalade

Since it's the right time of year here is an easy recipe for Seville Orange Marmalade

You will need

3lb (1.5 KG) Seville oranges - try to get them all about the same size if sold by quantity about 1 dozen.
    6 lb (3kg) Sugar
    2 lemons
    4 pints water
    A big pan to boil it up
    Bowls
    A sieve
    about 12 (1lb) jars with screw tops (old jam, pasta sauce and pickle jars are perfect)
    Jam funnel

How to make

Put the 4 pints water in a big pan and add the oranges whole. Add the juice of 2 lemons. simmer for 2 hours. (note at this point if the pan is more than half full it's not big enough. Do the jam making bit below in 2 batchs or get a bigger pan)
    While this is happening wash the jars and lids in hot water then put the sugar into a bowl and put it in a warm oven (about 70C).

Remove the oranges from the water and allow to cool. (Do not throw the water away)
    Once the oranges are cool enough to touch peel them and keep the peelings. Put the peeled oranges back into the pan of water and mash them up a bit. Boil for 15 mins.

While boiling thinly slice the peel into strips (don't make them too long.)

After 15 mins strain the juice from the pulp using a sieve and return the jiuce to the pan. Rub as much of the pulp as you can through the sieve. (You should be left with the pips abd the pith) into the pan.

Return the pan to the heat and add the sliced peel. Now add the warm sugar to the pan. and stir to dissolve. ( note (i) for slightly more bite reduce the sugar by 4 oz (ii) for a richer colour replace 4 oz sugar with dark muscovado sugar).

Bring the pan to the boil and sustan a rolling boil for 15 mins. (be careful the jam does not boil over)
    A rolling boil is hard to describe - if unsure buy an jam thermometer and boil the mixture until the thermometer indicates jam then hold at that temp (No hotter)for 10 - 15 mins.

While boiling the jam Increase the oven temp to 120 C and put the jars into the oven.

Remove the pan from the boil after 15 mins and test a little of the marmalade for set. To do this put a little onto a cold plate and place in the fridge for 5 mins. push your figer into the jam and if it wrinkles up it's set. If it's not set then boil for a further 5 mins and test again.

Bring the marmalade back to just boiling and then bottle into the heated jars. Use a jam funnel to make filling easier. Put the lids on tightly as soon as the jars are full. (This method is known as hot bottling and I find it works better.)

Make some labels and label the jars once they are cool. Store the marmalade in a cool dry place.

Banned

Chaps

Made this a few weekends ago and it was fantastic. It is different from your normal Indian curries.

Here is the recipe:

Malaysian Chicken Curry

Chicken
    • 1kg chicken thighs & breasts
    • 2 tbsp groundnut oil
    • 2 onions, peeled and thinly sliced
    • Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
    • 4 kaffir lime leaves
    • 1 cinnamon stick
    • 3 star anise
    • 6 cardamons
    • 10 cloves
    • 400ml coconut milk
    • 100ml chicken stock
    • 1 tsp palm sugar (or soft brown sugar)
    • 2 tbsp light soy sauce
    • 2 tbsp fish sauce
    • 400g green beans, trimmed and cut into 5cm lengths
    • Handful of coriander leaves, roughly torn

Curry paste
    • 5 garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
    • 4–5 long, red chillies, trimmed, deseeded and roughly chopped
    • 3 lemon grass stalks, trimmed with the outer leaves removed and thinly sliced
    • 5cm piece fresh root ginger, peeled and chopped
    • 4 large shallots, peeled and chopped
    • 1 tsp ground turmeric
    • 2–3 tbsp groundnut oil

Method: How to make Malaysian chicken curry

1. First make the curry paste. Put the garlic, chilies, lemon grass, ginger, shallots and turmeric in a food processor and whiz to a paste. With the motor running, trickle in a little groundnut oil and blend well, scraping the sides of the processor several times. (Or you can pound the ingredients together in batches using a pestle and mortar).

2. To make the curry, cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces. Heat the groundnut oil in a large cast-iron casserole or heavy-based pan. Tip in the curry paste and stir over a medium heat for a few minutes until fragrant. Add the onions and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes until they are beginning to soften.

3. Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper. Add to the pan and stir to coat them in the spice paste. Add the lime leaves, cinnamon stick, cardamons, cloves, star anise, coconut milk, stock, sugar, soy and fish sauces and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook gently for 30–40 minutes until the chicken is tender.

4. Skim off any excess oil on the surface of the curry. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Tip in the beans, put the lid on and cook for another 3–4 minutes until the beans are tender. Scatter the coriander leaves over the curry and serve with rice.

Enjoy :D

love the idea of the T Bone cooked in the red wine Adrian, I'm no cook, maybe that's where I'm going wrong...... the wine's not getting a chance to get to the pan with my mouth so close by!!!!

Craftsman

indian lamb curry
    not my recipe so can't take the credit
    when i have made this i have used the garam masala option instead of the whole spices and fresh tomatoes

. 500 gm. cubed lamb, bite size pieces
    • 1 large or 2 small onions (200-225 gm.)
    • 1/2 inch piece of ginger
    • 2-3 cloves of garlic
    • 250 gm. tin of tomatoes or 2-3 medium sized fresh tomatoes
    • 2 tbs. cooking oil

• Whole spices
    • 1 tsp. black cumin seeds (shahi jeera). Use ordinary one, if you do not have black cumin.
    • 1 bay leaf*
    • 1-2 pieces of cinnamon stick*
    • 2 large cardamoms*
    • 3-4 small green cardamoms*
    • 4 cloves*
    • 5-6 black peppers*
    • *If you do not have these whole spices, use 1 1/2 tsp. Garam Masala instead.

• Ground spices
    • 1 tsp. turmeric
    • 2 tsp. coriander powder
    • 1 tsp. paprika powder for colour (optional)
    • 1/2 tsp. chilli powder or to taste
    • Salt to taste
    • Garnish
    • A handful of fresh coriander leaves
    • 1/2 tsp. Garam Masala

Instructions

1. Peel onions, ginger and garlic and chop finely or grind in a food processor.
    2. If using fresh tomatoes, chop into small pieces or liquidize.
    3. Clean, wash and chop coriander leaves and keep aside.
    4. Measure whole and ground spices separately.
    5. Heat oil.
    6. Add cumin seeds and whole spices *, wait until cumin seeds splutter, but not burn.
    7. Add onions, garlic and ginger mix and fry until light brown. Ginger often sticks to the pan, so keep stirring or use a non-stick pan.
    8. Add all other spices and stir for a few seconds to allow flavours to come out.
    9. Add tomatoes and cook strring frequently, until oil separates.
    10. Add meat and cook on high flame, stirring frequently until it is well coated and sealed.
    11. Cover and cook on medium flame until tender, approximately 25-30 minutes. Cooking time depends on the quality of meat. It can be cooked in 7-10 minutes in a pressure cooker. Cooking slowly on low heat, over a longer period, makes the meat nicer.
    12. Add water only if a thinner gravy is required. Usually there is enough water in the meat.
    13. Turn off heat.
    14. Sprinkle garam masala and half of coriander leaves & stir. Cover and leave.
    15. Sprinkle rest of the coriander leaves as garnish, just before serving.
    16. Serve with Boiled Rice and Tandoori Roti.
    17. Cooking in a slow cooker
    18. Grind or finely chop onion, ginger, garlic and tomatoes.
    19. Place all ingredients, except garnish, in a bowl and mix well. Leave to marinate overnight or for a few hours in an airtight container in the fridge.
    20. Cook in slow cooker on high first, until it comes to a boil, then cook on low for 6-8 hours, as per your cooker’s instructions.
    21. Garnish and serve hot.

Notes

• Use leg or shoulder of lamb. Ask the butcher to prepare it for you, cutting it into large pieces, with the bones left in, taking out all fat, tendons and membranes. Some supermarkets in UK will slice the meat and bone for you, but you will have to remove the fat and membranes yourself.
    • Variations
    • For a more exotic taste, add 2 tablespoons of double cream or sour cream at the end.
    • Add one bunch of fresh or 2 tablespoons of dry fenugreek (methi) leaves during cooking. Fresh leaves have to be removed from their stalks, washed and chopped roughly. Dry leaves need to be washed in cold water to remove any dust. You can then lift out the clean leaves from the top and add to your recipe.
    • Add a cup full of chopped or tinned spinach.
    • Add potato pieces when meat is half cooked.