closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: The recipe thread

Journeyman
    Vodka Pasta

You can fry off some cubed pancetta and add to the recipe for a bit more body

Home made pesto pasta

three packs of basil (remove large stems otherwise it tastes bitter)
    olive oil
    pistachio nuts (a handful)
    parmesan
    one green chilli

Grate the cheese and put it in a food processor/blender with the nuts, chilli, and basil.

Add a bit of olive oil and blend: keep doing this until it has the consistency of wet porridge.

Add salt and pepper to taste.

Stir over cooked pasta. It tastes nice with some chicken as-well.

Craftsman

Triple S Ribs

Spicy, Sweet and Sticky Ribs

This is a combination of lots of different recipes I found online, but merged together, and then with a few additions of my own.

You need to start preparing this at least a day before you plan to eat, but the overall time involved isn't that great. It's really a dish that works best in large portions, but you could cut it down (and of course scale up). The last batch I did was for 4 people so scale up or down from there. You'll notice measurements are hardly exact, use them as a guide and add or remove to taste. I'm strict when it comes to baking, but for general cooking i'm less precise.

Ingredients

Ribs - enough for 4 people, your choice of baby back or spare
    1 or 2 Onions size dependant
    1 Bulb of Garlic
    1 Hunk of fresh Ginger roughly the size of a swollen thumb
    Fistfull of Chillies
    1 jar of Chipotle Pepper Paste
    1 large teaspoon of Smoked Paprika
    1 large teaspoon of Paprika1 large teaspoon of Salt
    1 teaspoon of Cumin
    1 teaspoon of Cinnamon
    1 large tablespoon of Black Treacle
    1 large bottle of Tomato Ketchup
    1 large bottle of BBQ Sauce
    2L bottle of Coke

You can add more or less spice and others that you feel will work, but the last 3 are all required. If you don't have any treacle then some dark brown sugar can be used. I know there is a ridiculous amount of sugar in the coke, but it does not caramelize on the ribs the same.

Method

Blend the onion, garlic, ginger and chillies together. You can chop them if you like but a quick blend works best for me. Get a big pan and melt some butter in a little oil over a fairly low heat. Add the blended ingredients and keep stirring for a couple of minutes, then add all the dry spice and the pepper paste stirring for a couple more minutes.

Now add the treacle, ketchup, bbq sauce and half the coke and give it all a good stir.

Tip: poor a bit of the coke into the empty bottles (and blender) and give them a good shake with the lid on to get all the remaining sauce out.

Place your ribs in the pan and then keep adding the coke until they are fully covered. Turn up the heat and bring to the boil, then instantly turn off the heat and place the lid on. Leave them until it's all cooled down (could be a couple of hours in a big pan).

Once cooled transfer the ribs and the sauce to zip lock bags and place in the fridge for 24 hours. I normally do a couple of bags separating the ribs and sauce evenly between the two to marinade. If you don't have any bags (or room in the fridge) just keep them in the pan as long as the lid is firm, else cover with cling film.

A few hours before you are going to cook the ribs you need to separate your marinade from your ribs. Place a sieve over your large pan and pour the liquid out of the bags through it. Take the bits collected in the sieve, blend them to a puree, then add them into the pan.

You now want to reduce the sauce right down. I find this can take over an hour on a high heat. It should reduce down to the point it can (once left to cool down) all be poured back into the original bottles of Ketchup and BBQ sauce. It should be thick and sticky. If it still has lumps blend away.

You're now ready to cook them, and the best way is on a BBQ over a moderate height. However, if the weather isn't right or you don't have the time then they also work great under the grill.

If you are doing them on the BBQ then having the sauce back in the bottles is a real help. They don't take too long to cook and you want the sauce on them from the start, so you can just place them all on the BBQ then squirt the sauce out of the bottles straight onto them.

Tip: Obviously I am assuming you are using the squeezy bottles, if so the valves on them can be snipped to their edges to allow faster, but also more controlled pouring.

If you are doing them under the grill, then place a sheet of foil on your grill, place on the ribs (best to start with the meaty side down) then brush them with the sauce.

Either way, they should be nicely coated. Cook them for 5 minutes or so, then turn and recover with sauce. Cook until done.

Serve with whatever you like, just as good with fries as rice (great for mopping up the sauce) but you will need wipes on hand, they are messy. Wash down with either an cold beer (current favourite is Citra from Oakham Ales http://www.oakhamales.com/bottles.html) or a Club and Dry.

I have seen variants with people adding bourbon to the marinade, but that gets expensive very quickly and to me the flavour is completely lost. However, a good slug (half bottle) of Ginger Mac goes well, especially if no fresh ginger is on hand.

Let me know if you make them and how you get on, and if you add anything to the recipe shout up.

A good old Yorkshire breakfast.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

It's coming up to Halloween and most people don't know what to do with a pumpkin.
    I've always looked at pumpkins with suspicion, - they must taste horrible.
    But after eating pumpkin pie in the USA I brought back the recipe to share. I've made it loads of times and it's yummy....

PUMPKIN PIE

Ingredients:

1 Pumpkin
    2 Eggs
    3/4 cup Sugar
    1/2 tsp Salt
    1 tsp Cinamon
    1/2 tsp Ginger
    1/4 tsp Cloves (powder)
    1/2 tsp Nutmeg
    1 2/3 cups Evaporated Milk

Preheat oven - 425 deg (Farenheit of course remember this an American recipe)
    Make pastry case
    Remove and discard pulp and seeds of Pumpkin
    Cut off rind
    Cut Pumpkin into cubes (1-2 inches)
    Cook as though doing potatoes (ready when knife brought out clean)
    Put in colander
    Leave to drain until dry
    Mash with mixer
    Measure 2 cups Pumpkin
    Beat eggs slightly with mixer
    Beat in all ingredients (with Pumpkin)
    Pour in to pastry case
    Bake for 15 minutes
    Reduce heat to 350 deg F
    Cook until knife comes out clean (about 1 hour)

Serve cold

Yummy! especially with cream.

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post

Eddie
    That looks amazing! I've never seen a breakfast in a Yorkshire pudding before, but its absolute genius!

Journeyman
    Okay, I've got to have this, I figure I've lived too long as it is...can anyone start me with a recipe?

Eddie

Journeyman
    Here's something you don't see very often, sea bass baked in coarse salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Adversary View Post
    Here's something you don't see very often, sea bass baked in coarse salt.
    That's far and away the best way to cook a Sea Bass.
    I visit Majorca a couple of times a year and the restaurants along the quayside at Andratx cook it that way.
    Wonderful.

Journeyman
    Halloween theme - Pumpkin soup

2 tbs olive oil
    1 onion, finely chopped
    1 leek, white part only, finely sliced
    1 garlic clove, crushed
    1/2 tsp ground coriander
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
    1kg peeled pumpkin, diced
    1 large potato, peeled, diced
    1L chicken or vegetable stock
    1/2 cup (125ml) thin cream

Heat oil in a large saucepan over low heat, add onion and leek and cook for 2-3 minutes, until softened but not coloured. Add garlic and spices and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add pumpkin, potato and stock and bring to the boil. Turn heat to low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Allow to cool slightly, then blend in batches.
    Return soup to pan, stir through cream and reheat gently.

There's some great manfood going on in this thread. Here's my contribution(piss easy and it feels like you really cooked something)

Toad in the Hole

Ingredients

8 thick sausages (can be frozen, or not)
    85g plain flower
    1 egg
    220ml milk (full fat, semi skimmed, yak or whatever)
    pinch of salt

Pre heat the oven to 220deg.

Put the sausages in a large oblong baking tray about 4 inches deep and bung it in the oven for 15 min(time this with your watch. See? That's why you needed to spend £5000 on a dive watch)

While the sausages are cooking make the batter. Put the flower and pinch of salt in a mixing bowl and add the egg. Start whisking the egg into the flower until it starts to dry, add a bit of milk and whisk again till it starts to dry. Repeat until you have run out of milk, by which time you should have a runny lumpless batter

Remove the sausages from the oven (and spoon off the fat if you're not into the whole lard thing). Pour the batter mix over the sausages and put back in the oven. Reduce the temp to 200deg and cook for half an hour.

That's all there is to it. You can use the half hour to cook some spuds and greens. Oh, and don't forget the gravy
    Last edited by snedboy; 19th November 2013 at 11:22.

Coq au vin. A rather good recipe that I have made a few times and doing so today. I have mashed potatoes and Vichy carrots instead of the fried bread.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/coq_au_vin_15354

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/coq_au_vin_15354

Zero fat fried Mushrooms

Take a punnet of mushrooms (Chestnut or Bottom) and slice (about 10mm thick).

Place a non-stick pan on the cooker and turn on to about 3/4 high. The spinkle ground pepper over the base of the pan and allow to heat up. DO NOT ADD OIL, BUTTER or LARD !!

Once the pepper starts to smoke add the mushrooms.

Toss the mushroom in the pepper and allow to cook. Once the mushrooms have started to turn golden serve and enjoy.

Lovely on toast, with you fried egg and bacon, or with left over boiled potatoes, cooked in the same way.

Plus mushrooms are almost impossible to burn, thus making them idiot proof.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Journeyman

Pure genius

Eddie

Journeyman

Amazing - will try this at the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by rowbie View Post
    I saw your post this morning about cooking steaks using the 'Sous Vide' method. I surfed around a bit and found this,

So I'm trying it tonight. There's fillet steak 'cooking' in a beer cooler in my kitchen right now.
    Pics and verdict to follow.

Bullet points:
    bought a piece of fillet steak
    sealed it in plastic bag
    poached it in 54 degree water for 3 hours
    cut into portions
    seared in very hot pan for 2 mins
    rest for 2 mins
    serve
    eat

The water temp was checked every 20 or so minutes and regulated with very hot water. The temp fluctuated from 53 to 55 celsius over the cooking time.

I wanted to try this method of cooking 'on the cheap' to see if the results were as good as they looked online. Then maybe I'd invest in better kit (PID, Sous Vide machine etc).

The cooler keeping warm next to the Aga

The meat floating in it's bath.

Steak after 3 hours

Portioned, seared and rested.

Crap photo of the end result

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by cdmed View Post
    1 lemon
    1 lime
    1 can of chopped tomatoes
    1 glass of orange juice
    4 chicken breasts
    1 tsp of italian seasoning
    2 cloves of garlic
    1 tsp of hot salsa
    half a glass of chunky salsa
    some flaxseed if you want

mix everything in except the lemon/lime seeds, put the zest & juices in. leave it for a bit with a lid on then grill the chicken. normally do it with couscous but rice, potatoes etc will be fine

lovely food, good for you too
    Sounds delicious but my wife seems to have a very different lemon threshold to mine so I guess I won't be making this one.

Oris Dizzy Gillespie today

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzer View Post
    Oris Dizzy Gillespie today
    I don['t think I could eat a whole one.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Craftsman

Yes,,,, That is just about a portion....

Craftsman
    Just showed my missus the 'Yorkshire breakfast.' I think I know what we'll be cooking up on Sunday morning!

Journeyman
    Arugula pesto, never tried it before, usually I make it with basil.
    Roasted pine nuts, olive oil, grated sheep cheese, garlic, salt and arugula.
    Delicious!

Quote Originally Posted by Adversary View Post
    Arugula pesto, never tried it before, usually I make it with basil.
    Roasted pine nuts, olive oil, grated sheep cheese, garlic, salt and arugula.
    Delicious!

This is a staple in the Lewis household! Arugula, aka Rocket in the UK, adds a nice peppery 'fire' that is sometimes lacking in mass produced basil. Also cheaper than basil. Add a fat (not too hot) green chilli to add another dimension and serve it mixed with penne pasta with sliced grilled chicken breast on the side. Lovely!

Journeyman

This one is a good reviver for the morning after.
    Toasted black pudding and egg sarnie.

Try this curry, came to me recommended. Make sure you also checkout the mamtaskitchen.com site for more recepies.............

Quick, simple and tasty Chicken curry recipe with video.

Ingredients
    about 1 tbsp cardamom pods
    about 8 cloves
    1 tsp chilli
    about 8 peppercorns
    large pinch of salt
    1 chicken or 4 to 6 chicken thighs
    about 4 garlic cloves and an equal amount of root ginger
    1 tub of onion salad crispies or one onion diced and fried until brown
    4 to 6 tablespoons greek yoghurt or to taste
    coriander leaves

Method
    Either click on the video link in the title or:
    Grind the dry spices and toast in a dry pan
    Add oil or ghee
    Fry the jointed and chopped to bite-size chicken until browned.
    Bash the garlic and ginger to a paste and add to the pan
    Cook until the chicken is done.
    Add the yoghurt and onion and cook through.
    Add chopped coriander leaf and serve with rice / naan etc

https://youtu.be/MjuugvMBw0k

http://www.mamtaskitchen.com/recipe_...php?submit=Go!

I finally got round to trying what seems to be a typical American breakfast: pancakes, bacon (crisp), scrambled eggs and maple syrup.
    Oh dear. Way too sweet. Never again. It always looks so good on telly too.

If you want decent, authentic Italian meatballs, try this one:

http://www.laurainthekitchen.com/rec...ls-napoletane/

Chicken Jalfrezi, not quick but excellent and I grow me own Chilies. Check it out on BBC food.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/5...icken-jalfrezi

Bacon French toast roll ups

I’ve cooked these a couple of times now and they are bloody lovely with maple syrup. As well as being relatively easy to make; well worth a try but be prepared for lots of requests to keep doing them!

Ingredients (serves two)
    10 slices fresh white sandwich bread (although you can use whatever you fancy)
    10 slices of streaky bacon, rind removed
    2 tbsp butter
    2 eggs (large)
    4 tbsp milk
    Large pinch of salt
    Real Maple Syrup

Instructions
    Cut the crusts off the bread.
    Use a rolling pin to flatten the bread out.
    Combine egg, milk and salt in a dish that’s large enough for a roll up to lie flat in. Whisk to combine.
    Cook the bacon altogether on a large rack/tray in the oven until nearly crisp
    Place one piece of bacon in the middle of each piece of bread.
    Roll up the bread, ending with the seam side down. Press down lightly to help it stay in place.
    Place butter in pan and heat gently.
    Soak a roll up in the egg mixture, then shake off excess. Enclose your fist around it (lightly) and twist the roll up a few times back and forth. This rubs the egg mixture into the roll up and helps ensure the seam remains sealed. Repeat with remaining roll ups.
    Place roll ups in the pan. Cook, rotating, for around 3 to 4 minutes until all sides are golden brown.
    Remove, add the maple syrup and enjoy!

You got to try this. Indian street food. Very quick to make. Spicy Masala corn. Just eat it straight out of a bowl or mug. Perfect in the garden or watching the telly. The 710 made the Chaat Masala herself.

https://youtu.be/FxzT1Ko6Dxc

https://youtu.be/FxzT1Ko6Dxc

This is the ultimate spag Bol!!

Follow the recipe exactly, I hate celery but put it in and it's the best spag Bol ever!

Make sure you use tagliatelle pasta too! Makes all the difference!

http://shows.stv.tv/talk-tv/295385-g...lla-bolognese/

Quote Originally Posted by alexaff View Post
    Alex - is that parmesan or red Leicester?

Healthy and tasty breakfast

Here's a tasty quick and filling healthy breakfast option to enjoy.

Scotch pancakes topped with fruit honey and Greek yogurt.

1 cup of self raising flour
    1 cup milk
    1 egg

Whisk together and fry in a tiny amount of oil in a hot non stick frying pan. Top with fruit and enjoy.

[IMG]C:\Users\ads19\Desktop\HEALTHY EATING & BREAKFAST ITEMS[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Alex - is that parmesan or red Leicester?
    Red Leicester mate. My good lady prefers it to Parmesan :)

Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    Here's a tasty quick and filling healthy breakfast option to enjoy.

Scotch pancakes topped with fruit honey and Greek yogurt.

1 cup of self raising flour
    1 cup milk
    1 egg

Whisk together and fry in a tiny amount of oil in a hot non stick frying pan. Top with fruit and enjoy.

[IMG]C:\Users\ads19\Desktop\HEALTHY EATING & BREAKFAST ITEMS[/IMG]
    Attached Images Attached Images

This is the ultimate spag Bol!!

Follow the recipe exactly, I hate celery but put it in and it's the best spag Bol ever!

Make sure you use tagliatelle pasta too! Makes all the difference!

http://shows.stv.tv/talk-tv/295385-g...lla-bolognese/

I've made this and can confirm that it's excellent. Most surprised that garlic & herbs aren't in the recipe.

Eddie

Pheasant Indiana

We like our game but my lad likes traditional roast Pheasant and I like it Indiana (a shooters dish)
    Roast a couple of Pheasants as you do.

350 ml double cream
    breast meat and trimmings of 2 birds
    2 tbsp of Worcester sauce
    2 tbsp sweet mango chutney
    salt and pepper too taste.

arrange Pheasant cuts in an ovenproof dish, not too shallow or the cream mixture will overflow.
    whip cream until firm and then fold in the Worcester sauce and Mango chutney.
    spoon the mixture over the Pheasant and bake for 20 mins about 190 deg C until brown and bubbling.
    This is one of my favorite meals and should suit any Pheasant pluckers on this forum.

we serve with rice an cabbage but go with what you fancy. Game chips works really well.

The ultimate hot chili cheese dog.

I always wanted to try one of these. The old girl on the video is a bit screwy but stay with if you want the best dog! She boils the mince in beer and we used Old Speckled Hen but you can use whatever you fancy. Top dog unless you know better............

https://youtu.be/-goI2-eJO1w

Mexican Pizza! Taco Bell Copycat Recipe

The fusion of ground beef, tomato sauce, chilies, cheese, onions and soured cream is truly delicious. I know its not healthy but watch the video and give it a go. I cut mine into wedges to eat just like you do regular Pizza. Enjoy

https://youtu.be/2fDtdSckHDs

Tried Gordon Ramseys Chilli dogs last night and they went down a treat. We added Lancashire cheese, Jalapeno and spring onion to the topping. Wrap in foil and put in a low oven for 5 minutes before serving.

https://youtu.be/0nL9p8Wd8AI

One I made earlier.

^^^ mate your an animal!! I love you!!

This soup is very good :)

Lobster with rice bowl and ginger, radish and avocado.

Just had this and it hit the spot. The lobsters where my idea and they are £4.99 each at Iceland. Check these out, the 710 made a Marie-Rose sauce but you can buy it ready made if you wish.

The rice bowl is from Simply Nigella and it is to die for, check out the link.

https://youtu.be/3Wd_Vo-ascU

bon appétit

I made kedgeree last night from this recipe- http://m.tesco.com/mt/legacy.realfoo...ct=un_jtt_iosV

Very tasty and easy peasy!

Mmmm...that looks delicious

Quote Originally Posted by luckywatch View Post
    Chicken Jalfrezi, not quick but excellent and I grow me own Chilies. Check it out on BBC food.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/5...icken-jalfrezi

Have you made the lamb jalfrezi from the takeaway cook book?

My mum made it today and said its amazing!

I'm going to knock it up this weekend ;)

Have you made the lamb jalfrezi from the takeaway cook book?

My mum made it today and said its amazing!

I'm going to knock it up this weekend ;)
    Not tried that yet. Just got the 710 on the case now. Book states Lamb Tikka Jalfrezi. Looking forward to your review...................

Quote Originally Posted by luckywatch View Post
    Not tried that yet. Just got the 710 on the case now. Book states Lamb Tikka Jalfrezi. Looking forward to your review...................
    Indeed. For your info- my mum used lamb neck and said it worked very well!

Quote Originally Posted by dowsing View Post
    Bacon French toast roll ups

I’ve cooked these a couple of times now and they are bloody lovely with maple syrup. As well as being relatively easy to make; well worth a try but be prepared for lots of requests to keep doing them!

Ingredients (serves two)
    10 slices fresh white sandwich bread (although you can use whatever you fancy)
    10 slices of streaky bacon, rind removed
    2 tbsp butter
    2 eggs (large)
    4 tbsp milk
    Large pinch of salt
    Real Maple Syrup

Instructions
    Cut the crusts off the bread.
    Use a rolling pin to flatten the bread out.
    Combine egg, milk and salt in a dish that’s large enough for a roll up to lie flat in. Whisk to combine.
    Cook the bacon altogether on a large rack/tray in the oven until nearly crisp
    Place one piece of bacon in the middle of each piece of bread.
    Roll up the bread, ending with the seam side down. Press down lightly to help it stay in place.
    Place butter in pan and heat gently.
    Soak a roll up in the egg mixture, then shake off excess. Enclose your fist around it (lightly) and twist the roll up a few times back and forth. This rubs the egg mixture into the roll up and helps ensure the seam remains sealed. Repeat with remaining roll ups.
    Place roll ups in the pan. Cook, rotating, for around 3 to 4 minutes until all sides are golden brown.
    Remove, add the maple syrup and enjoy!

Good shout ;)