closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Your daily driver. Who drives the oldest?

Blog Entries

Your daily driver. Who drives the oldest?

Uncountable threads about new cars, new lease contracts. It produces wonderful pictures of wonderful cars, I give you that.

But who drives an old car as daily driver? I'll start:

Peugeot 205 1.6 Automatique 1992. I'm sure there are members here with older daily drivers.

Sailed through the MOT today.

Wow! I loved the 205 - had a couple of 1.9 GTi's back in the day.

Cracking little cars.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Using this every day while the Riley is off the road.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    Using this every day while the Riley is off the road.

Good one! How old??? I remember reading an article in Practical Classics many years ago where they explained, complete with calculations and examples, that driving and maintaining a Minor is far more economical than driving a (then) new car.

Having seen some of the cars Unclalec drives, he’s going to be a clear winner from the start!

I drive a 2009 Mercedes CLS350 but that’s only 14 years old.

Craftsman
    A few candidates in this other recent thread :

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ar-old-or-more

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post

Cracking little cars.
    I Had a CTI for some time - one of my favourite ever cars (along with an Astra GTE from around the same time).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I Had a CTI for some time - one of my favourite ever cars (along with an Astra GTE from around the same time).
    You big tart lol.

Loved the CTi, but age vs price vs insurance was a verb diagram that never had a sweet spot for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    You big tart lol.

Loved the CTi, but age vs price vs insurance was a verb diagram that never had a sweet spot for me.
    LOL. Mine were both company cars, so a simpler decision making process. I think the GTE was the first car to feature a digital dash, although I could be wrong on that.

LOL. Mine were both company cars, so a simpler decision making process. I think the GTE was the first car to feature a digital dash, although I could be wrong on that.
    I’m not saying they were first but Audi Quattros from about 1982 onwards had a digital dash so quite a while begird the GTE.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Good one! How old??? I remember reading an article in Practical Classics many years ago where they explained, complete with calculations and examples, that driving and maintaining a Minor is far more economical than driving a (then) new car.
    That one is 1966, but I have recently dropped a diff from a Midget into my other one which is 1969, so I'm going modern once the axle is bolted back together. It is getting new brakes at the same time. The longer legs will come in handy on the infrequent motorway trips.

They're perfect for a town commute, 5 miles each way. I do have a Peugeot Partner as a works van, but it really doesn't like short journeys, the dpi filter clogs up.

I put a Mini heat exchanger in the H reg Minor, and the heater is surprisingly good which is about the only driver comfort available. A pair of (BMW) Mini front seats await my fabricating a subframe; now that will be a quantum leap forward comfort-wise.

It depends on your definition of digital. The Citroen GS had a digital dashboard in 1970

'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    It depends on your definition of digital. The Citroen GS had a digital dashboard in 1970

Get on that futuristic vehicle steering wheel to haha

The one arm steering wheel is much older. 1955 on the DS I believe. It remained a trademark at least until 2000 (XM), possibly later.

The one arm steering wheel is much older. 1955 on the DS I believe. It remained a trademark at least until 2000 (XM), possibly later.
    Oh yeah ? I recall, as a kid, the one from the Aston Martin Lagonda being of a similar design too.

Darn it, beat me to the Lagonda. As a lad from. Newport Pagnell, I remember them well.

I’m driving a reasonably new XC60 at the moment and it’s lovely, but retirement beckons and I’m thinking of changing it for something less complicated to maintain and cheaper to run. Maybe an old v70 or something along those lines.

I won’t have the oldest daily driver, but I am seeing the appeal of bangernomics- a totally different thread, I’ll grant you.
    Last edited by dickbrowne; 16th January 2024 at 11:34. Reason: Curse you, autocorrect

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Oh yeah ? I recall, as a kid, the one from the Aston Martin Lagonda being of a similar design too.

And we have thanks to wiki the first car with a digital (in its other definition = electronic) panel"
    The Lagonda was the first production car to use a digital instrument panel
    Although it never really worked...

And we have thanks to wiki the first car with a digital (in its other definition = electronic) panel"
    Although it never really worked...
    Agree. Often read of major gremlins in them...

Quote Originally Posted by dickbrowne View Post
    Darn it, beat me to the Lagonda. As a lad from. Newport Pagnell, I remember them well.
    When I was in junior school, the class members has to do a bit of a stand up project each.
    I liked cars back then so I penned a hand written letter to Aston Martin and I recall addressing it to Newport Pagnell (which I thought was on another planet back then).
    They responded with oodles of glossy press packs in a lovely folder highlighting their cars of the time and the future.
    The Lagonda was launched in '76 so I was 9 yrs old.
    Made up doesn't describe how I felt to get a response from them.
    Not sure how many marks I received for the project but it didn't matter - I had this fantastic car literature that nobody else in my part of the universe did.
    I was a happy kid, all good haha

Two 20 year-olds on the drive.

Cars, obviously.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    2003 Yaris, been in the family from almost new (originally bought by MIL) I bought it from her in 2010 with just 3000 miles on the clock. Now on 48k never failed an mot and never broken down. Does 50 mpg all day long.

Blog Entries
    I ordered a set of those 'French' yellow H4 headlight lamps for the Peugeot. Simply, to make it more 'in sync' with its model year. Hopefully a lot of fun for 20 euros!

Dang it, I've been outdone thoroughly on the older daily drivers! I was running an '05 Golf GTi up until October (it ticked over to 203,000 miles, so was time to retire it), now got an '09 plate Honda Civic. I've driven older, and higher mileage, cars for some years with mostly success (I did take a bath on a Volvo V70 a few years back, sometimes you just buy wrong and I did!)
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

I ordered a set of those 'French' yellow H4 headlight lamps for the Peugeot. Simply, to make it more 'in sync' with its model year. Hopefully a lot of fun for 20 euros!
    You'll regret that if you ever drive at night. Not only were they dreadful to start with, crossing a foreign car at night was plainly blinding. That became even worse when they allowed them and most people converted their cars to white bulbs.
    Mind, compared to modern headlights, even the white ones are crap. But the yellow are just on another level of "faeces-ness".

My 22 yr old practical classic rolling restoration …

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nin101 View Post

Amazingly underrated cars.

Master
    Blog Entries
    D reg = 1966 iirc. I have one from 1955 but it’s not my daily drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Amazingly underrated cars.
    I concur. And have to admit I have two - one on 150k miles that my son is using, and this one on 71k. I regularly drive 5 hrs to the west lakes for work (and back again!) in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post

Cracking little cars.
    Loved our 1.6

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    D reg = 1966 iirc. I have one from 1955 but it’s not my daily drive.
    I endorse your decision.
    My 1969 2-door arrived after I had this one for a while.

I bought it from a UKIP candidate and had a few surprises, but sorted them out and used it briefly. I found it utterly charming with its Art-Deco dash and Riley-like split screen, but to be honest it was way short of the later models on the useability front. Much slower, much less visibility, and what a nightmare replacing the windscreen wiper motor! So I sold it and bought the aforementioned newer one.

Hey! modern-car guys - imagine trying to get your head round this array of hi-tec instrumentation!

Quote Originally Posted by dickbrowne View Post
    but I am seeing the appeal of bangernomics- a totally different thread, I'll grant you.
    A mate of mine researches crashes and he says the other bit of bangernomics to consider is the cost of a wheelchair if you hit a newish car in something designed before modern safety standards.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    A mate of mine researches crashes and he says the other bit of bangernomics to consider is the cost of a wheelchair if you hit a newish car in something designed before modern safety standards.
    Good point.

I shall try hard not to hit a newish car.

There's nothing quite like 3ft of steel tubing pointing straight at your heart to make you drive carefully.

There's nothing quite like 3ft of steel tubing pointing straight at your heart to make you drive carefully.
    If you outlawed seatbelts and had six inch iron spikes in the middle of steering wheels road accidents would be a thing of the past. This is written only partly tongue in cheek.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    If you outlawed seatbelts and had six inch iron spikes in the middle of steering wheels road accidents would be a thing of the past. This is written only partly tongue in cheek.
    I believe Jeremy Clarkson already came up with that one. Probably only partly tongue-in-cheek, too.

Good point.

I shall try hard not to hit a newish car.

Yeah - my mate was explaining to me that the killer is often that in an older car because it doesn't have modern crumble zones and other features that even if you are still able to function and your legs were crushed, you'll likely find the doors are jammed and you cannot get out without being cut out where as with a modern car, the doors will still open.

I believe Jeremy Clarkson already came up with that one. Probably only partly tongue-in-cheek, too.
    I think that idea pre-dated Clarkson by a very long time. We always used (and still do) to say that anyone driving aggressively or carelessly should be forced to drive an Austin Seven with a pointy bit of metal in the middle of the steering wheel.
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Thats undoubtedly true, safety and economy in terms of mpg are both a big consideration, and it’s something I really need to think about, but for now it’s all in the future anyway. I’m sure there’s a break-even point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    I think that idea pre-dated Clarkson by a very long time. We always used (and still do) to say that anyone driving aggressively or carelessly should be forced to drive an Austin Seven with a pointy bit of metal in the middle of the steering wheel.
    I know. We had the same in France, as I imagine most other countries did (although it wasn't Austin 7s ); It's more to link the post to a certain school of thought (I use the term loosely).
    Regardless, it would be amusing to see how the proponent react when the car in front select reverse instead of first gear when the light goes green.

I know. We had the same in France, as I imagine most other countries did (although it wasn't Austin 7s ); It's more to link the post to a certain school of thought (I use the term loosely).
    Regardless, it would be amusing to see how the proponent react when the car in front select reverse instead of first gear when the light goes green.
    Ah. You have owned a Morris 8 as well.

To the left and forward = reverse. Great when you are car-hopping!
    Last edited by unclealec; 18th January 2024 at 12:42.

I actually read in a motorcycling magazine about twenty years ago that a motorcycling vicar wrote about the spike in the steering wheel in an article in the 1920's.
    Predates your Jeremy school of thought (I use the term very loosely) by a few decades.
    Last edited by Ruggertech; 18th January 2024 at 14:00.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nin101 View Post

Brilliant little cars, ahead of their time.

I had a 1.4TDI on a Y plate, very economical and interesting sounding 3 pot engine note.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    Brilliant little cars, ahead of their time.

I had a 1.4TDI on a Y plate, very economical and interesting sounding 3 pot engine note.
    Agreed. I owned a Wartburg Knight in the 1980s; the best (only good?) thing about it was the engine noise which went from well-oiled sewing machine in the 30mph zones to a full-on banshee howl at motorway speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    I actually read in a motorcycling magazine about twenty years ago that a motorcycling vicar wrote about the spike in the steering wheel in an article in the 1920's.
    Predates your Jeremy and your school of thought (I use the term very loosely) by a few decades.
    The anteriority was not disputed as you can read earlier.
    Motorcycles with a steering wheel? Oh, it was about other road users. Because we all know that it’s always others that make our roads so dangerous.
    Usually stupid ideas do not have a best before date. So yes, it’s an old «*joke*» that may even not have originated in this country.

The anteriority was not disputed as you can read earlier.
    Motorcycles with a steering wheel? Oh, it was about other road users. Because we all know that it’s always others that make our roads so dangerous.
    Usually stupid ideas do not have a best before date. So yes, it’s an old «*joke*» that may even not have originated in this country.
    I don't know which country the motorcycling vicar hailed from, nor did I say so and nor does it matter except to you it seems.
    And it's a hypothetical scenario that will never be, not an idea stupid or otherwise. As you were.

Master
    My 1990 944 turbo comes out a few times a week even in the winter. I have been wondering, as our winters get predominanty wetter, if maybe I change that and stick to a less corrosion prone option for winter months.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidL View Post
    My 1990 944 turbo comes out a few times a week even in the winter. I have been wondering, as our winters get predominanty wetter, if maybe I change that and stick to a less corrosion prone option for winter months.
    Wetter means less icy so less salt on the road, no? Are there products/treatments that could help, maybe?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidL View Post
    One of my brothers has a 25 year old Mitsubishi Evo V, his pride and joy, and weekend driver.

He swears by this stuff;

https://www.lanoguard.co.uk/products...assis-care-kit

There is a sheep smell for 2 or 3 weeks after each application, but it seems to work! :-D