closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex OP39mm v DJ41

Master

Rolex OP39mm v DJ41

Having just picked up a new OP39mm I thought it would be interesting to compare to my DJ41. I picked up the black dial OP yesterday and the brushed stainless steel bracelet and polished smooth domed bezel give it a classic understated look. The DJ41 being two tone and with fluted bezel is certainly more noticeable. The lugs are also polished which make it more flashy too.

The dials on both models have similarly sized batons and Rolex crown at 12 o’clock. Both are sunburst although this is very subtle on the OP but certainly enough to give it a bit of character when the light hits it a certain way. The DJ41 sunburst is more noticeable and the colour, to my eyes at least, goes very well with the rose gold bezel. The dial diameter of the OP is also very slightly smaller, probably by about 1mm.

In terms of case profile these are very similar. On close inspection though the OP has more of a curve and wraps around the wrist more. The case also appears to be thinner in the middle and then gets very very slightly thicker towards the lugs before tapering to the pointy ends. The DJ41 on the other hand is marginally thinner and stays a consistent thickness before tapering at the lugs.

In regards to the crowns both are dual lock offering 100m of water resistance with the OP39 being slightly larger.

Again similar clasps although the DJ41 having an embossed Rolex crown compares to the OP’s pressed crown. Not massive but the DJ’s does look a bit more quality. DJ also comes with easylink extension, not something I’ve ever used so not missed on the OP

So just a quick side by side comparison. The new black dial for the OP is a winner in my eyes. For me I think it represents good value (in the current market) when compared to a new DJ41 with black dial....is the date function and some polished links worth the £1,400 extra?? Personally I think not and feel the OP39 could steal some sales from the DJ41. Overall though happy with the OP and think it will fit well into the current collection.
    Last edited by michael.jaye; 22nd September 2018 at 12:42.

No one can dispute the rose gold that Rolex do is lovely.

A good comparative review.

I think the lug width on the OP is 20mm, but on the DJ41 it’s 21mm?

What is the lug to lug of each model please?

Thanks.

Master
    Prefer the OP-39 basically an EXP-39 but without the Arabic’s in style.

The DJ-41 is nice, I’m not a TT fan, but having said that Everose works better than YG. Still think the DJ-36 is better proportioned. At least it’s not a DJ-II

Journeyman
    Thank you for this comparative review OP...very informative about two great watches both of which are on a (long!) shortlist for my next purchase.

Friend at work recently got the steel and gold with fluted bezel and rhodium dial DJ. He sits opposite so can see it on his wrist all day, on the whole it's more subtle than I was expecting (considering the bezel, cyclops and PCL's) but occasionally, when the light catches it it's so blingy!

Master

Rolex OP39mm v DJ41

No love for the jubilee? Would make a good contrast. I’m loving the op39 a bit more. Kicks ass, would go as far as saying I prefer it over explorer!

Master
    They're all nice, and all versions around the same basic ingredients ; OP, Explorer, DJ, Milgaus. Just choose your own set of preferences. All 100 metre water resistant, all highly shock-proof, all steel cases of very similar dimensions.
    Really, you can't go wrong with any of these models.

That OP39 is becoming more & more appealing

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Depend on the configuration but would chose DJ41

Journeyman
    I would go for the OP, beautiful!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Thanks Michael for the comparison of those two. I have a slight biase toward TT these days - having the rose Gold YM and the recent Omega SMPc siena Gold and steel. I like that DJ41. Good to see a comparison.

If one is worth more than the other? I guess anything with gold in is valued more (by the manufacturer’s market sector ). Actually worth more is really how much you wear it?

Martyn.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    A good comparative review.

I think the lug width on the OP is 20mm, but on the DJ41 it’s 21mm?

What is the lug to lug of each model please?

Thanks.
    I think they are both 20mm.

In the short time I have had my OP39 I am very impressed, so far it’s the most comfortable watch I have owned and has gained 1 second over 3 days.
    Last edited by boring_sandwich; 23rd September 2018 at 10:56.

Master
    Must admit to preferring the OP over the DJ.

I like the smooth bezel and lack of cyclops, not having a date doesnt bother me but prefer the 36 mm size, preferably with white dial.

Craftsman
    Thanks for posting this review - very interesting to see the comparisons.

Craftsman
    Smooth bezel and no date is definitely my preference so it has to be the OP. Showing the side by side shots certainly makes a decision easier.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    In the short time I have had my OP39 I am very impressed, so far it’s the most comfortable watch I have owned and has gained 1 second over 3 days.
    I have to agree with this...it is a very well balanced watch. My DJ41 being marginally bigger and in two tone is heavily and as such has a different feel on the wrist.

The only criticism I have with the OP though is the pressed/engraved Rolex crown on the clasp, to me just seems a cheap. Apart from that happy with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

great comparison review, thanks!

Great comparison. Thank you for taking the time to do this. Both look great but for me it would be the OP that would win out.

Grand Master
    The recessed logo on the OP models is a better idea than the traditional raised one, it won`t scratch and mark to the same extent and will be far easier to refinish. Refinishing a raised logo eventually makes it lose definition, that can`t be avoided.

The OP is a great everyday watch, it'll stand up to wear and tear better than any other Rolex model, refinishing to get the marks out is an easy task so it can always be made to look good again.

Both the Datejust and OP are watches I like, but for me they both look better in the 36mm size, I think the design works better.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the comparison Mike, really interesting, and the OP looks great. Looking on the website, it seems odd to me how certain dials and hour marker choices only are allowed with certain sizes.

We’re mainly trying to find the gf something, and of the 31mm options if you don’t go black or silver, your only choice is Roman numerals of two different colours (eg white dial - 3,6,9 are silver, the rest are blue?!).

Both very beautiful watches.

Thanks for the info. Really like the rose gold 41.

Master
    Blog Entries
    After wearing my newly acquired 36mm OP in blue with a suit today, I have come to the conclusion that with a 7 and a half inch wrist it’s the perfect most understated dress watch out there.

Apprentice
    Now these are stunning i have alot of appreciation for these

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    41 is a tad too big for the style... 39 with fluted bezel will be excellent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hchj View Post
    41 is a tad too big for the style... 39 with fluted bezel will be excellent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    The actual size of the DJ41 is 39.5mm...