closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New iphone

Master

New iphone

It is meant to be eXtra and Smart with Maximal power but is it up to its hype, in view of all the competitions? Will you be sticking with the X?

Quote Originally Posted by tim2012 View Post
    It is meant to be eXtra and Smart with Maximal power but is it up to its hype, in view of all the competitions? Will you be sticking with the X?
    Just 12 months after launching the X, the flagship, the redesign, the latest greatest, ...it's completely disappeared from their lineup. Yet the predecessors remain. Not fair on those who purchased the X for the prices on launch.

(still running a trusty iPhone 7, for now)

Why is it not fair?

Interesting to see what’s said here as my upgrade is due and it’s a choice between the X or Xs, the X being cheaper the Xs being higher spec?

Craftsman
    I’d ask myself what the higher spec is and whether I needed it.

Craftsman
    I don't drink the Kool Aid myself but I would never buy any phone just because it's new.

Sent from my [null] using Tapatalk

I'm upgrading from iPhone SE to iPhone 8 now that prices have dropped.

I’ve got a 7 and did a size and weight comparison of the new lineup as the X was a bit lumpy.

The new lineup is still a bit lumpy, so will give it a miss.

Not really forgiven them for sacking off the 3.5mm headphone jack, but not fancying the alternatives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The best value is still the 7 plus IMHO.
    F.T.F.A.

At £1149 I’ll be giving this one a miss. Will pay £25 for new battery in my 7 and make it last another year.

iPhone XS vs. iPhone X

Silver, Space Gray, and Gold color options vs. Silver and Space Gray

64GB, 256GB, and 512GB size options vs. 64GB and 256GB

4GB of RAM vs. 3GB of RAM

Weight: 177 grams vs. 174 grams

A12 Bionic chip with next-generation Neural Engine vs. A11 Bionic chip with Neural Engine

Faster Face ID on iPhone XS

Faster wireless charging on iPhone XS

60% more dynamic range on iPhone XS display

IP68 dust- and water-resistance vs. IP67 dust- and water-resistance

Portrait mode with advanced bokeh and Depth Control vs. Portrait Mode

Smart HDR for photos vs. Auto HDR

Extended dynamic range for video up to 30 fps on iPhone XS

Stereo recording for video on iPhone XS

Cinematic video stabilization for front-facing camera on iPhone XS

1080p HD video recording at 30 fps or 60 fps vs. only 30 fps for front-facing camera

Gigabit-class LTE vs LTE Advanced

NFC Express Cards with power reserve vs. no power reserve

Dual SIM support with eSIM vs. single SIM support

iPhone XS battery lasts up to 30 minutes longer than iPhone X

Quote Originally Posted by williemays View Post
    I'm upgrading from iPhone SE to iPhone 8 now that prices have dropped.
    Just did the same, I found the invoice for the SE and it was under £300 when it came out, selling that plus the vat off and a small discount means the 8 is about £400. I expect to get 3 years out of it.

Big savings buying outright and a sim only deal, I can afford an x I just fail to see the point of £1k phones.
    I’m sure they will sell millions as people just have to be seen with the latest

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    iPhone XS vs. iPhone X

Silver, Space Gray, and Gold color options vs. Silver and Space Gray

64GB, 256GB, and 512GB size options vs. 64GB and 256GB

4GB of RAM vs. 3GB of RAM

Weight: 177 grams vs. 174 grams

A12 Bionic chip with next-generation Neural Engine vs. A11 Bionic chip with Neural Engine

Faster Face ID on iPhone XS

Faster wireless charging on iPhone XS

60% more dynamic range on iPhone XS display

IP68 dust- and water-resistance vs. IP67 dust- and water-resistance

Portrait mode with advanced bokeh and Depth Control vs. Portrait Mode

Smart HDR for photos vs. Auto HDR

Extended dynamic range for video up to 30 fps on iPhone XS

Stereo recording for video on iPhone XS

Cinematic video stabilization for front-facing camera on iPhone XS

1080p HD video recording at 30 fps or 60 fps vs. only 30 fps for front-facing camera

Gigabit-class LTE vs LTE Advanced

NFC Express Cards with power reserve vs. no power reserve

Dual SIM support with eSIM vs. single SIM support

iPhone XS battery lasts up to 30 minutes longer than iPhone X
    That’s an awful lot of technical words but I’m not sure what most of them mean, or whether I’d actually use or notice the difference. For example the upgraded bionic chip - eh? Gigabit class LTE? You what??!!

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    That’s an awful lot of technical words but I’m not sure what most of them mean, or whether I’d actually use or notice the difference. For example the upgraded bionic chip - eh? Gigabit class LTE? You what??!!
    Yeh it is a lot of techy talk, some of improvements are worth it while others are above my station.

For me I just use a phone for a few calls, text, reasonable internet browsing TZ!, various apps and I do like a good camera so the speed of the processor etc probably doesn’t effect my usage, but like many my phone deal is ready to be upgraded and it’s a 2 year commitment so it’s worth getting it right from the outset.

Master
    Only thing stopping me going back to iPhone was dual SIM.. but now that seems possible, albeit with carrier support needed.

Does anyone know if iOS12 supports dual apps? Most android phones allow dual apps so I can keep both work and personal accounts on one phone.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

Isn’t the Xs battery supposed to be of a lower rating so even with the lower power cpu it might less real time usage?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    Just did the same, I found the invoice for the SE and it was under £300 when it came out, selling that plus the vat off and a small discount means the 8 is about £400. I expect to get 3 years out of it.

Big savings buying outright and a sim only deal, I can afford an x I just fail to see the point of £1k phones.
    I’m sure they will sell millions as people just have to be seen with the latest
    What sim only deal do you have?

Genuine question because for me I’ve never made it add up, maybe looking in the wrong places?

I currently pay £28.50 pcm for unlimited calls, texts, 100 international calls, 8GB data. On an SE which was “free”, this is the second SE I’ve had, the first one on contract cost over £40pcm, current expense was a good deal for me.

2yr or longer contracts don’t bother me because I’ve had the same number and network for over a decade, as it gives the best coverage for my travels

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    Only thing stopping me going back to iPhone was dual SIM.. but now that seems possible, albeit with carrier support needed.

Does anyone know if iOS12 supports dual apps? Most android phones allow dual apps so I can keep both work and personal accounts on one phone.

Do you means apps specific to SIM?

So, depending which SIM you are using, depends which apps you can see?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    Do you means apps specific to SIM?

So, depending which SIM you are using, depends which apps you can see?
    On Android there is an option to run two apps (WhatsApp, Facebook, WeChat etc). I have two WhatsApp accounts on my Android mobile but not sure if there is a similar function with iOS. I have read you can install another WhatsApp but this is not officially supported.

Genuine question because for me I’ve never made it add up, maybe looking in the wrong places?

I currently pay £28.50 pcm for unlimited calls, texts, 100 international calls, 8GB data. On an SE which was “free”, this is the second SE I’ve had, the first one on contract cost over £40pcm, current expense was a good deal for me.

2yr or longer contracts don’t bother me because I’ve had the same number and network for over a decade, as it gives the best coverage for my travels

If you’re paying almost £30 for an 8gb sim only yourebeing fleeced

As for the new model hype

I got an 8 off here for £400 and that’s a sweet deal

What ARE people needing the new one for exactly?

I have an 8 plus that I bought outright from here too

Sim only plan for about £15

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    If you’re paying almost £30 for an 8gb sim only yourebeing fleeced

As for the new model hype

I got an 8 off here for £400 and that’s a sweet deal

What ARE people needing the new one for exactly?

I have an 8 plus that I bought outright from here too

Sim only plan for about £15
    As I said the maths doesn’t add up for me.

Over 2yrs
    Second hand / SIM free phone & SIM only = £400 + £15pcm = £760
    New phone on contract = £28.50pcm = £684
    A saving of £76, and added “bonus” of included international calls (to any landline or mobile in any country, from any country, except US, but they’re weird anyway,jk)

I'm similar to this too but have just agreed on an upgrade from an SE to an Iphone X Good as new from my current provider EE, there is 14 day cooling off period so I can send back if not happy, that's me done for another 2 years!!

Master
    I'm planning to get one for the dual sim, when the networks support it. I travel quite a lot to the UK and find that some people don't want to return calls to my Australian mobile, so it'll allow me to have a local number whilst there. I have unlimited free international calls so calling the UK isn't a problem for me - I have frequently hosted conference calls with 3 people in the UK and me in Aus - that's not the problem; having people I need to speak to, not call me back, is. So it's the new iPhone or a second phone, which would be a pain...

Craftsman

New iphone

I have had a new iPhone every 2 years since launch, some on contract and others bought outright,Currently I have a 3 sim only deal
    Unlimited data, 600mins and unlimited text £19 and have an iPhone 7 that I bought outright new,but it’s starting to show it’s age in looks and performance, plus a fancy a bigger smarter screen

I’m seriously considering swapping to the Samsung S9, currently the phone is £639 but they are giving £350 PX on iPhone 7 and 24 months interest free credit in the balance should you want it

I did briefly switch once before to an S3 and hated it, but my wife has an S8 and loves it and it seems a lot more Apple like now, although I have an Apple Watch and an iPad, I would swap the Apple watch for the new Samsung offering but keep the iPad as it does not need to integrate with the phone in the same way the watch does

1st world problems .....

I’ve always been the apple fanboy that updates yearly. Looking back, once the “new phone” thing wears off, I’ve always though doing the s upgrade as pointless and a waste of money. Now that the phones are over £1000, I won’t be upgrading annually.

Just bought Xs 256gb gold yesterday after selling my i7 128gb and 7 plus 128gb , waited for this as usually I buy the S versions of iPhones, also silver frame wasn’t a fan of and waiting for any bugs the X since was new style model

So far first impressions excellent power usage and battery life I’m a heavy phone user due to work sometimes 3-4 hours talk time a day so I can easily charge my 7 twice a day

So far charged this Xs once since yesterday morning been on good 2hours gps and Bluetooth Spotify in car and hours Plex streaming last night

Hellishly expensive for a phone and first time I’ve ever taken out care on a product even though I’ve worked in mobile phone game for 25 years !

Be interested to see how the XR does with it being lcd rather than oled battery should be even better