16 59.26%
  • Don't know /not sure

6 22.22%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Connor / Khabib

Connor / Khabib

Who's going to win?
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Connor if he stays on his feet, Khabib if it goes to the ground, though mcgregor has been working on his ground game, much improved on the training sessions I have seen.

Owl1
    Connor

The mouthpiece will win. He's a despicable human being but he can back it up, even if Khabib thinks he's the Floyd Mayweather of the UFC.

I watched last night's press conference on the train this morning and cringed every second of it, what a tool McGregor is.

Khabib for me. He's relentless.

And that press conference.....shameful and embarrassing.

Master
    The presser was awful

but if McGregor is right he will sleep him

its Conor by the way not Connor.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    The presser was awful

but if McGregor is right he will sleep him

its Conor by the way not Connor.
    The presser was a farce alright. Conor has disappeared so far up his own ass he's become a parody of himself. I think he'll win but I hope he gets knocked out.

Khabib will win. He will make Conor look ordinary

Master
    I find McGregor utterly intolerable and would love to see him get absolutely smashed.

However, he has that annoying perfect timing and pinpoint accuracy that means if he has any sort of distance he can end it with 1 punch. Khabib needs to fight his normal fight, grinding and smashing the poo out of his opponent on the ground. If he gets inside McGregor without getting pegged he'll finish it in the first. McGregors cardio has been questioned before and Khabib's pressure game is probably the best in the business.

SO I'm going to say first round either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowdon View Post
    Other way around!

Apprentice
    If it’s a fight Conor wins. If it goes to the ground Conor needs to have massively improved his wrestling or he’s toast.
    That being said I think Conor’s timing is to
    Good and he will catch him flush and spark him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Conor will take this I think.

I agree with the thoughts if he is taken down he is in big trouble. Though I think he will need to be taken down 2/3 times to lose this.

I personally can see Conor controlling the first with the jab. Spending the second on his back and the KO coming later on as he is rushed on and his timing shows...

Having met Conor at a UFC event, he come across in person better than on camera. Let’s be fair. On camera he is a showman trying to sell PPVs to make himself more money. And headlines sell fights. There is no difference in the $ to him if you buy the PPV hoping to watch him get KO’d than buying it supporting him!

Craftsman
    Khabib will win in the 2nd but I really like Conor and would love to see him win

Conor. And yes, he’s playing a role.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by The_Perfect_Sandwich View Post
    Conor. And yes, he’s playing a role.

And playing it very well!!

Khabib will fight smart and wait for the right opportunity to drag McGregor to the ground...like a crocodile latching onto a poor deer in a river and then pulling him underwater. The next thing you know, a feeling McGregor is all too familiar with:

...or some variation:

That's great, taking McGregor to the ground, but pointless if he can't finish it. McGregor has shown plenty of times he can take a punch or two and alongside that Khabib's punching power has to be questioned. Yeah, he's strong as an ox when it comes to ragdolling a man on the ground but he doesn't hit as hard as he should.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    That's great, taking McGregor to the ground, but pointless if he can't finish it. McGregor has shown plenty of times he can take a punch or two and alongside that Khabib's punching power has to be questioned. Yeah, he's strong as an ox when it comes to ragdolling a man on the ground but he doesn't hit as hard as he should.
    I bet the bloke under Khabib in the photo just above would strongly disagree with you.

Blog Entries
    One of Conor's main weapons is his mouth, he winds opponents up to the point of them making mistakes - Aldo fell for it massively.
    Khabib isn't having any of it which will make it a far better fight
    I'm surprised how fast the fight has taken place though, from Conor accepting it to it actually happening makes me think he has seen something he can exploit that nobody else has been able to - maybe the weight cutting which Khabib has struggled with in the past
    Whatever happens I think it will be a very interesting fight - if Conor sparks him he will be unbearable but he does have the knack of backing up his big mouth
    In other words I haven't a clue who will win but I'm looking forward to it

Quote Originally Posted by mickylall View Post
    One of Conor's main weapons is his mouth, he winds opponents up to the point of them making mistakes - Aldo fell for it massively.
    Khabib isn't having any of it which will make it a far better fight
    I'm surprised how fast the fight has taken place though, from Conor accepting it to it actually happening makes me think he has seen something he can exploit that nobody else has been able to - maybe the weight cutting which Khabib has struggled with in the past
    Whatever happens I think it will be a very interesting fight - if Conor sparks him he will be unbearable but he does have the knack of backing up his big mouth
    In other words I haven't a clue who will win but I'm looking forward to it
    I think Conor has been away too long. He will gas and lose. Imo.

Craftsman
    The mouthpiece will win. He's a despicable human being but he can back it up, even if Khabib thinks he's the Floyd Mayweather of the UFC.

I watched last night's press conference on the train this morning and cringed every second of it, what a tool McGregor is.

This.

Master
    I voted for Khabib before watching the press conference, I do believe Conor's ranting and raving will mess with Khabib head like it did with Jose Aldo.

Master
    Very few people generate enough power on the ground to finish someone. Strikes are used to open up submission opportunities, break a fighters will or force a ref stoppage.

The main thing with khabibs ground game is how effective his pressure is. Look at the photo above and how he's using his hips to flatten the guy. With such effective pressure it's very difficult for the bottom guy to fight back to his feet. By the time they do they are usually so gassed they can't throw a decent punch and are easy to take down again.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Here we go!

Ferguson/Pellis was warfare, hopefully this lives up to that one.

Master
    Here we go!

Ferguson/Pellis was warfare, hopefully this lives up to that one.
    Shame about his hand, I think a third round would have been something special.

Khabib has this, I'm more than ok with being wrong before.

Goodnight.

Wait, has Khabib not had enough?

Master
    That went downhill quickly.

Arghhh get off your chocking me!

Didn’t see the fight but I did have my money on Khabib to win in the fourth, nice surprise to wake and see my betting account balance haha.

Followed Khabib for years, as soon as this was announced Khabib was always going to win in my mind, sounds like Conor got whipped by reading the reports and I’m happy with that...

Quote Originally Posted by Snowdon View Post
    This is my happiest sporting moment. Seeing Conor humbled was very important for anyone who looks up to him. His behaviour is not to be looked up to. Khabib let himself down and should face sanction but no more than the sanctions handed down to Conor for the bus incident

macgregor got his arse handed to him , his ego is so large he looked like he was in shock sitting on the floor that someone had the audacity to beat him.

massive payday rematch on the cards due to the publicity from the free for all that occured after.

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    macgregor got his arse handed to him , his ego is so large he looked like he was in shock sitting on the floor that someone had the audacity to beat him.

massive payday rematch on the cards due to the publicity from the free for all that occured after.
    Conor would get beat again...

Khabib shouldn't have jumped the fence and Conor shouldn't have got jumped (though one reason he isn't pressing charges is because he threw the first punch...)

But Conor has to accept consequences for all the pre fight trash talking. Khabib post match said the Irishman has turned UFC into a circus instead of respect - for good and worse he's got a point. I like this quote picked by DC

UFC heavyweight and light-heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier: "Hey guys, two wrongs don't make it right. Conor didn't deserve that. No one did. But some things aren't for fight promotion. Religion, family, country. Throwing stuff in Brooklyn. For Khabib it wasn't fight promotion, it was really personal. Different culture man. Sucks."

Master

4th time he has lost, no chance of a rematch, he knows he cant win

Rematch? Conor loves money but won't be taking a rematch for any amount of money.

I suspect Conor will have a number of easy fights at all manner of catch-weights to ensure he has best chances of winning. His loss to Nate Diaz does not compare. Today he was comprehensively smashed to pieces.

Yeah, I can't see a rematch. McGregor has made it clear he wasn't in it for the money but now the glory doesn't look like an option either. He was comprehensively beaten by a machine who rattled McGregor more than once at McGregor's own game and who completely confused McGregor with his plan A.

Master
    The second round was beautiful to watch.

That DC quote is perfect. Trash talking is one thing but I have never been a fan of McGregor's offensive language and often racist, low wit attempts at trash talk. The UFC have turned a blind eye to his disrespectful and childish behaviour for years, often with Dana White standing in the background sniggering like the class bullies ego massaging sidekick. The antics after last night's fight were bound to happen eventually and the UFC themselves have to take responsibility for creating the situation by letting that horrible little man away with his actions for years. They are lucky there wasn't a full scale riot.

As for a rematch. I'd be happy if McGregor just slipped off now to enjoy his money and never be seen or heard from again.

Good man

Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master
    I think Mc Gregor really needs to work on his fitness if he’s going to compete at that level again. Is it me or does he always look totally gassed after a couple of rounds?

I’m not a fan of watching fighters like Khabib personally, find the whole grappling on the ground and submission thing dull to watch. I respect what Khabib can do but it holds no interest for me in terms of watching an entertaining fight. People want to see fighters knocking each other out, that’s why despite being 27-0 Khabib is not and will never be ‘that’ popular. Most people don’t want to pay for 4 rounds of grappling and a tap out.

Sean O Malley looks interesting though and it was a shame he didn’t make the night.

Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    I think Mc Gregor really needs to work on his fitness if he’s going to compete at that level again. Is it me or does he always look totally gassed after a couple of rounds?

I’m not a fan of watching fighters like Khabib personally, find the whole grappling on the ground and submission thing dull to watch. I respect what Khabib can do but it holds no interest for me in terms of watching an entertaining fight. People want to see fighters knocking each other out, that’s why despite being 27-0 Khabib is not and will never be ‘that’ popular. Most people don’t want to pay for 4 rounds of grappling and a tap out.

Sean O Malley looks interesting though and it was a shame he didn’t make the night.
    Did you see the fight? Khabib stood in front of Conor, knocked him down and busted him up. Khabib also took clean landed power shots from Conor and then invited Conor to hit him again.

I suspect any and every subsequent Khabib fight is going to generate north of 1m PPV buys. He doesn't appeal to the lager louts that Conor appeals to but then they're a bunch of losers so who cares

Khabib v Ferguson has to happen next, as much I like Khabib I think Ferguson is the only one who can push and maybe beat him, not that I want him too...

macgregor got his arse handed to him
    'Proper' handed to him!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post

His fitness looked fine. If anything I would say very few fighters would have had the fitness to last khabibs onslaught in that second round. Especially after baring most of khabibs weight throughout the first round.

I enjoy watching grappling/grapplers as I've been doing bjj for many years so I understand what's happening. The UFC did go through a horrible period where it's ranks were filled with NCAA wrestlers and the like. Guys who could take folk down at will and hold them there but then do little else. I didn't enjoy that but someone actively looking for submissions is a different story. and can appreciate the technical dominance of someone like khabibs on the ground.

You might be better off watching boxing if you want to see guys winging at each other. Grappling is the UFCs roots. It was the Gracie's way of proving to the world that their system ruled all.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Khabib v Ferguson has to happen next, as much I like Khabib I think Ferguson is the only one who can push and maybe beat him, not that I want him too...

Ferguson looked amazing, definitely has to fight for title next if UFC is remain credible.

It's sad and unfortunate that Khabib was suckered into denigrating himself and his victory by jumping the fence to attack McGregor teammate Dillon Danis. I understand his strong personal motivations, but now he must face the hefty consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    It's sad and unfortunate that Khabib was suckered into denigrating himself and his victory by jumping the fence to attack McGregor teammate Dillon Danis. I understand his strong personal motivations, but now he must face the hefty consequences.
    Danis posted a photoshopped image of khabib holding a bottle of Conor's whiskey. What a tool.

Would love to see one of khabib's boys rough Danis up in a sanctioned fight.

Master
    Boxing? I’ll have to look that up, no idea how I’ve missed that for the last 42 years

I did see the fight of coarse, I actually thought the second round was one of the most impressive of Khabib’s I’ve seen.

I knew I’d offend some by saying I’m personally not a fan of too much grappling but there you go. What was it, 20 seconds before Khabib threw himself at the grapple though? Sorry, just find it frustrating to watch. I did say I respect what he can do.

I almost think it’d be better if chocking and bending arms for submission wasn’t allowed. Yes, ground and pound and grappling to tire out your openent, great but it almost feels like a cop out in some way when someone can choke. Or at least the person who’s losing the grapple should be allowed to fully retaliate.

On the subject of Khabib jumping out the ring because of the verbal build up. Does he know what business he’s in? So what if someone insults your religion/parents? He could have made a proper statement here in the victory and shown kids the real way to shut up a loud mouth bully.

Can someone also answer me this as I’m not 100% on rules but why was it at about the 1:50 mark, Conor put his arm round Khabib’s neck and had a chance to just squeeze his arm and choke him but didn’t?

Conner has been living off a few good fights and his ego / reputation for to long now. The whole Mayweather fight was a total joke but huge money. He had no chance against Khabib, same issues he had with Diaz coming back again. He just lacks stamina, every fight I can remember seeing Connor fight he is out of steam in the 2nd and 3rd round. No idea why he does not work on his stamina. His ground game is poor, I agree it does get a big boring when they grapple to long but its part of the sport and he really needs to work on it more.

The best fight was the one before with ferguson, those 2 are just animals. Unlucky that he broke his hand, still crazy that his corner asked him if he wanted to continue with a broken hand!!

Master
    I did not see the fight and I'm not an MMA fan by any means but got to say I'm glad that Conor was beaten. I seem to really dislike him just from what little I have seen of him !