closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Stowa Marine 36

Stowa Marine 36

I'm pleased to see that Stowa have finally released a 36mm version of their classic Marine Original:

https://www.stowa.de/en/Marine+36+cl...abic-white.htm

I love those heat blued hands and with the white dial and thin bezel it won't wear small at all.
    Last edited by Rocket Man; 20th September 2018 at 21:32.

Looks great

Journeyman
    If anyone gets one, I'd be very keen to see some live pics (and ideally video).

I've got my eye on it for a subtle work watch.

Craftsman
    I had the 40mm and it wore pretty large because of the white dial and slim bezel (and my fairly slim wrist). A 36mm version will be great!

Marine/deck watches have traditionally been large, easy to read, with seconds shown on a sub dial and with a very robust manual wind movement. Something 36mm, centre seconds, auto winding (albeit with a manual option) with options for a date and Roman numerals doesn't merit the description. A nice enough dress watch though.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Marine/deck watches have traditionally been large, easy to read, with seconds shown on a sub dial and with a very robust manual wind movement. Something 36mm, centre seconds, auto winding (albeit with a manual option) with options for a date and Roman numerals doesn't merit the description. A nice enough dress watch though.
    Aren't there vintage deck watches with Roman numerals and central seconds hands? These are pocket watches, and often housed in wooden cases, but if later wrist watches deserve the Marine moniker, it seems a stretch to say only at 42mm but not 36.

The Harrison H4 has both central seconds and Roman numerals

It certainly is a lovely thing, but have never been a fan of the twisted minute hand, traditional as it is. A while ago I'd have been all over this (minute hand notwithstanding), but I'm hanging on for Eddie's upcoming Smiths 29c. Much prefer the Air Ministry design to the marine.

Master
    Is the minute hand literally twisted? Or just profiled to give that impression?

For the record I was refering to what we commonly know as deck/marine watches nowadays, eg what we can buy as vintage pieces or from the likes of Stowa, Dornblüth, Archimede et al.
    Last edited by magirus; 21st September 2018 at 11:03.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    Is the minute hand literally twisted? Or just profiled to give that impression?
    I've always thought the original blued steel ones were, or at least look like it, so refer to them as such. Nowadays, I doubt it. I appreciate the nod to history, but still don't care for them however they're made. Prefer the ones on the Archimede DeckWatch and the 6B/159s.
    Last edited by Geralt; 21st September 2018 at 12:19.

Stowa has some really nice pieces in smaller sizes which is great for us with smaller wrists.

Quote Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
    I've always thought the original blued steel ones were, or at least look like it, so refer to them as such. Nowadays, I doubt it. I appreciate the nod to history, but still don't care for them however they're made. Prefer the ones on the Archimede DeckWatch and the 6B/159s.

I bought my Archimede from SC to try the style and size when I was considering a Dornblüth. It scratched the itch very well so I kept it! It's one of the few that have the upgrade to the top grade movement, which is decorated and has a higher beat rate (21,600). Archimede don't offer this upgrade now, but the hands are heat blued rather than painted. I enquired about a set of hands but they wanted @ £150. Another feature that I like on the Archimede is that the lugs are 20mm rather than the usual 22mm, which keeps the bulk of the watch/strap down a little. I still feel that if this hobby loses it's attraction I'll go down to 3 watches, CWC diver, Datejust and sell the rest to put the money into a Dornblüth. For now though the Archimede fills the Marine/Deck style nicely . . .

F.T.F.A.

That's very nice, understated, like it a lot

I bought my Archimede from SC to try the style and size when I was considering a Dornblüth. It scratched the itch very well so I kept it!
    Sadly, too big for me, and that's the only reason I don't own one. The combination of 20mm lugs, dial font and hands is a masterpiece of design. I still think it's THE best looking marine/deck watch on the market and I actually prefer it to the Dornbluth (and would wear it with fewer worries!).
    Last edited by Geralt; 29th September 2018 at 10:58.

Quote Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
    Sadly, too big for me, and that's the only reason I don't own one. The combination of 20mm lugs, dial font and hands is a masterpiece of design. I still think it's THE best looking marine/deck watch on the market and I actually prefer it to the Dornbluth (and would wear it with fewer worries!).
    It's a lovely thing to wind and wear. Speaking of which I'll be giving it a wind in a couple of hours prior to donning it for early doors pub duty. The back is nice to look at too while winding it . . .

F.T.F.A.

I am saving for the Stowa Marine Classic 40 no date with solid sterling silver dial and the manual wind ETA 2804-2. I like the all-brushed 40mm case with 20mm lugs, the central seconds hand, and the crown. Here's a photo from Stowa's website:

The Archimede looks great, though. Makes me wonder if I had the Stowa and the Archimede both in hand which I would prefer.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by momentum View Post
    I had the 40mm and it wore pretty large because of the white dial and slim bezel (and my fairly slim wrist). A 36mm version will be great!
    What size wrist do you have ?

Sent via smoke signal using Tapatalk

Master
    I'd love to see them do a porcelain dial version, at a similar price point ;)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post
    What size wrist do you have ?

Sent via smoke signal using Tapatalk
    Just under 7". I have a 39mm Railmaster which wears fine but the big expanse of white dial on the Stowa looked a little large to me.

My wrist is about 7" (depending upon salt intake, donut consumption etc.) and I'm happy enough with how my 40mm Stowa Marine wears, albeit the comment about the slim bezel is a valid point in how it wears. I also think lug-to-lug length is as important a factor, and at 48.6mm the Marine is nicely under my 50mm personal limit, plus it's 10.2mm thick.

But we're all different in our preferences, of course - what looks fine to me may look inelegant to another. I have the solid silver dial version, which although it shifts in appearance according to lighting, probably does help to 'tone down' the look more than a brilliant white dial, particularly in an all-brushed case rather than polished.

A 36mm version would look very well indeed.

Great watches generally and always one of my recommendations if anyone asks me what to buy as a first 'good' mechanical - well made, good-looking, excellent value for money, and from an interesting company with good customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by williemays View Post
    I am saving for the Stowa Marine Classic 40 no date with solid sterling silver dial and the manual wind ETA 2804-2. I like the all-brushed 40mm case with 20mm lugs, the central seconds hand, and the crown. Here's a photo from Stowa's website:

That looks superb, very tempting. Would love to see a real life picture.