closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Leather Strap Cleaning.

Leather Strap Cleaning.

Hi everyone, I have a Pam OEM assolutamente strap for my 560 which I wear in rotation with some other straps, but when the weather is hot, & the wrist gets slightly sweaty, I discover a slight smell from the strap.

I’ve cleaned the strap carefully with hot water & soap this did help, then when it happened again tried the baking soda route, this helped slightly, does anyone have any other suggestions?

I love the strap, and do loosen it when I get hot, in the peak of summer I do switch to the rubber, but love the look of my assolutamente.

Annoyingly the strap isn’t cheap & I’d like to keep it & confinuing wearing it.

Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by McBeardy View Post
    Hi everyone, I have a Pam OEM assolutamente strap for my 560 which I wear in rotation with some other straps, but when the weather is hot, & the wrist gets slightly sweaty, I discover a slight smell from the strap.

I’ve cleaned the strap carefully with hot water & soap this did help, then when it happened again tried the baking soda route, this helped slightly, does anyone have any other suggestions?

I love the strap, and do loosen it when I get hot, in the peak of summer I do switch to the rubber, but love the look of my assolutamente.

Annoyingly the strap isn’t cheap & I’d like to keep it & confinuing wearing it.

Any suggestions?

A tip I found out many years ago is as follows.The Smell is basically bacteria and to kill bacteria you can put the item in the freezer(not the watch! Just the DRY strap).Leave for a minimum of 24 hours and remove carefully and allow to come back up to room temperature - leather will crack if frozen and you bend it.Never done this with a watch strap but for many years my motorcycle gear.

Sent from my E6653 using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by amcneill View Post
    A tip I found out many years ago is as follows.The Smell is basically bacteria and to kill bacteria you can put the item in the freezer(not the watch! Just the DRY strap).Leave for a minimum of 24 hours and remove carefully and allow to come back up to room temperature - leather will crack if frozen and you bend it.Never done this with a watch strap but for many years my motorcycle gear.

Sent from my E6653 using TZ-UK mobile app
    Thanks surely the same principle applies! I may give this ago.

Craftsman
    Let us know whether it works!

Craftsman
    Will be following closely as am experiencing similar challenges.

Interesting thread. Will follow closely!
    Just out of interest and sorry to hijack the thread. Do people treat there leather straps with a leather polish or something to maintain them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I remember using an eraser on assoulamente strap to remove marks off it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post
    Do people treat there leather straps with a leather polish or something to maintain them?
    When I did some research a while ago I ended up buying saddle soap.

Quote Originally Posted by vcarter View Post
    When I did some research a while ago I ended up buying saddle soap.
    Did the saddle soap not make the strap/s too soft?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post
    Interesting thread. Will follow closely!
    Just out of interest and sorry to hijack the thread. Do people treat there leather straps with a leather polish or something to maintain them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If a strap of mine loses its sheen I will give it a rub with a tiny dab of Hoggs Leather Balm https://www.hoggs.co.uk/prodcut_deta...product_id=238 and then buff it back to a shine.

It seems to do the trick.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Waldorf View Post
    Did the saddle soap not make the strap/s too soft?

Cheers
    I've just used it a few times, so far no difference noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by vcarter View Post
    I've just used it a few times, so far no difference noticed.
    I’ve thought about using it for the cleaning aspect, maybe i’ll give it a go. Always used Renapur for conditioning , that’s top stuff, and non greasy.

Cheers

I've found Saphir reptan to be superb at cleaning and cleansing straps made of all leather types.

Update, after some warm water and soap dabbing leaving to dry in the airing cupboard, then 48 hours in the freezing, followed by anything drying session in the airer. Still a slight smell.

Left in a bag of bicarbonate soda in the airer for 2 days, slight improvement.

Lastly another damp cloth applied and baby talc covered, left in the airer another 48hrs and the smell has gone.

Talc definitely the way to go to remove a sweat smell!