closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rolex price increase 1st Oct

Grand Master
    I agree with what you're saying Flasher, the only flaw in that argument is the fact that the good buddy you've sold it to, at zero profit, will subsequently sell it on for far more than he paid you......and that's the dilemma for anyone who is fortunate enough to get one of these desirable watches and subsequently find he doesn't like it or he needs the money elsewhere.

I`m willing to bet there's all sorts of shady dealing going on with supply of certain Rolex models, who's to say the so-called 'good customers' may simply be paying the biggest back-handers to ensure they get 'the call' on a frequent basis. It would be naïve to think this doesn`t go on, all part of 'building up a relationship'.....there are ways and means!

Master
    People’s idea of profiteering also needs addressing. If I buy a watch at RRP and sell it at market price, that, in my eyes is not profiteering. Nobody within the forum has lost out. On the other hand, if I bought a watch that was too cheap on SC, then sold it on shortly afterwards to the trade/eBay or otherwise, that is profiteering at the original owners expense.

Master
    Are we only going to mention the watches Kash has sold at prices above RRP
    Conveniently forgetting about the ones he sells below RRP-I think he sold a Rolex dress watch recently at many thousands below and even with a discount he must have taken a bath on it.
    I think his principal is pretty consistent-stick it on at WF bid price and if anybody wants it at that all well and good.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stefaulkner View Post
    People’s idea of profiteering also needs addressing. If I buy a watch at RRP and sell it at market price, that, in my eyes is not profiteering. Nobody within the forum has lost out.
    Eh? You mean for a brand new watch? If so, it's the definition of profiteering! (Which, for the avoidance of doubt, you are perfectly at liberty to do.) If you are buying in order to sell at a profit, that is "profiteering", surely?

Someone has lost out because the watch they wanted to buy at list (and, for argument's sake keep and wear) is now available to them on WF at a £5k premium.

As I say, no one's doing anything illegal and no-one's died but getting access to a watch at RRP and immediately flipping it is profiteering!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

If I was of a mind to get involved in the Rolex profit thing, I could've done it myself. I have the time to spend, I have a war chest to fund the buying, I could've bought a couple of watches to move on at a small loss to 'become a good customer'. I could be out there getting on lists and doing whatever's necessary to court favour with a few local ADs. There are good reasons why I didn`t, and I don`t condone it from anyone else.
    any of the watches you would buy to be considered a good customer wont net you a small loss, itll be a big one. Id wager if you bought a day date at rrp and got to buy a daytona at rrp on foot of it the profit on selling the daytona wouldnt offset the loss on the DD.

Gents

I'm sorry but I find the attack on Kash completely unjustified. If one was to tally up over the past 12 months what he has sold vs what he paid he would be materially out of pocket. If he's able to claw back some of his considerable trading losses by selling Rolexes above RRP but below what one might pay on the Grey market then that is fair enough as nobody here is clamouring to pay him more for non-Rolex watches he's purchased and selling at a huge loss. Anyone remember that Gold IWC he sold a few months ago? That was a massive bargain for someone here and sold no doubt at a crazy loss.

Kash would be the worst 'profiteer' on here as no doubt he's significantly out of pocket over his trades on aggregate and he's one of the members here who is able to offer the tz community some spectacular watches at rock bottom prices and enable members to acquire aspirational pieces they might otherwise have had no opportunity to own

I personally like seeing a sales post from Kash as it is usually something interesting and expensive, which I cannot afford. I remember a blue Day Date which was lovely and a Patek. I see no problem pricing a watch in line with the trade price.

Another price increase makes it even more difficult for me to buy a new Rolex and unless I win the lottery, I’m out!

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    If you are buying in order to sell at a profit, that is "profiteering", surely?
    I think that is actually ‘profiting’, which is what all traders do.

I believe that ‘profiteering’ is making money by unreasonably taking advantage of a vulnerability or disadvantage that forces the buyer to accept your high price, like selling food when rationing is in force, or
    antibiotics during an epidemic.

I have no strong view on what other people are doing in terms of buying and selling Rolex watches on the forum, but certainly no-one is forced to buy them.

Master
    Surely, no-one is forced to buy anything.....it's a perfectly normal exercise of free choice. If you don't like, you don't buy. And most buyers and sellers on SC are grown-ups who can decide for themselves.
    I've never bought anything off him, but Kashs' prices always strike me as well judged.

I have to add that I don't know that Kash hasn't put money into charity from his new Rolex sales, maybe he has, which would be a splendid thing.

And... surely pretty much everyone on here buys watches and when they sell them do so at a loss? That someone might buy expensive watches and take a bath on them is kind of how it usually goes. Buying watches to sell for profit on TZ was always frowned upon but now, well, apparently, who cares.
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
    Not wanting to delve too much into the profiteering discussions but Foxy definition of a favour pretty much hits the mark. If you get the watch at RRP and decide it’s not for you then why not pass it on to someone at the price you got, you have got all your money back, nothing lost and done a good deed/favour.

Cannot really see that charging someone over RRP but below WF etc is classed as a favour in my book but maybe I am from an earlier generation and money was not always the driving factor, maybe easier to do and say if you have a booming bank balance but Rolex and Profiteering do seem to be constant bed fellow in today’s marketplace.
    Why not pass it on at RRP? When dealers will give you 5k profit on a Daytona Ceramic in ideal world may be lol.
    Don't see the big issue you pay the price over Rrp on tz or go give a top end dealer even more. No difference to buying Porsche gt3 hard to get doing over list.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kash View Post
    Yes, most smart people on here realise selling anything below what a dealer would offer is stupid. Let me think, someone can sell to a unknown with potential complications OR a very simple deal with the trade. It is therefore a favour to offer it here at the same price or slightly lower. If YOU don’t like it then go cry about the market, but your chip on your shoulder is misplaced.

Next Time you wish to sell below Trade value (not market value) please let me know, I could do with some bargains.
    Agreed.

To add, I’ve always found all of your offerings to be @ a very fair price for the buyers

Pleased I managed to pick up a Rolex today before any price rise. The guy in the AD also mentioned they were due a price rise but could not confirm when or by how much.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter franks View Post
    You can't buy one anyway so the price increase is irrelevant

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

People on the wait list will be proper pi88ed! Watch has gone up and they don't even own it but have waited for 2+ years in some cases.

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    Pleased I managed to pick up a Rolex today before any price rise. The guy in the AD also mentioned they were due a price rise but could not confirm when or by how much.
    What did you pick up, oh do tell...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dlt222 View Post
    People on the wait list will be proper pi88ed! Watch has gone up and they don't even own it but have waited for 2+ years in some cases.
    If you do not like the game. Get off the merry go round.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovewatches108 View Post
    What did you pick up, oh do tell...
    This...

Last edited by boring_sandwich; 20th September 2018 at 22:07.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    I think that is actually ‘profiting’, which is what all traders do.

I believe that ‘profiteering’ is making money by unreasonably taking advantage of a vulnerability or disadvantage that forces the buyer to accept your high price, like selling food when rationing is in force, or
    antibiotics during an epidemic.

I have no strong view on what other people are doing in terms of buying and selling Rolex watches on the forum, but certainly no-one is forced to buy them.

It's a moot point - and I suspect you can find different definitions. It is the ultimate in first world problems but, in the context of a 'population' of watch enthusiasts, I don't think profiteering is that wide of the mark. It feels like screwing a massive profit from a friend. Anyway, I'm sure people who do it couldn't give a monkeys what I think!

.....but anyway back on topic and ‘my’ AD just told me about the impending price rise today too.

(And he’s a trusted friend rather than the usual AD waffler).

5% isn’t enough to make anyone even blink.

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Enough to make me happier about pulling the trigger on a steel sky dweller at current list price...

true,but it will pull the secondhand market along as well, which will show Rolex are a good investment .And the circus continues

I think Rolex should bump the price of Daytona's, GMT's by 50-100%, this would bring it in line with current grey market values, at the same time they could increase the volume output to kill off all the Del Boy's

Master
    I am surprised it is only 5% - it has been a couple of years since the last increase and prices especially on the professional range on the grey market would support a higher rise

Craftsman
    The last price change (2016) & this supposed new one are more a price adjustment due to the week pound.

Rolex UK prices are currently 11% lower than the equivalent Euro zone price.
    Last edited by Van Diemen; 21st September 2018 at 02:05.

Best get my new Ss sub picked up this month then. Had a call from the ad yesterday to say it’s arrived
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    I am surprised it is only 5% -
    Agreed.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Van Diemen View Post
    The last price change (2016) & this supposed new one are more a price adjustment due to the week pound.

Rolex UK prices are currently 11% lower than the equivalent Euro zone price.
    If the pound keeps going down, will they keep adjusting ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Newby View Post
    If the pound keeps going down, will they keep adjusting ?
    obviously

Just had another confirmation from an AD - as if any more were needed.

Master
    I am surprised it is only 5% - it has been a couple of years since the last increase and prices especially on the professional range on the grey market would support a higher rise

Totally agree, 10% or thereabouts would help to bring us in line with the rest of the world.

Rolex are so kind to us

I realise there are far more informed people on here but there is talk on a couple of other forums the increase may actually be coming Monday 24th.
    Appreciate it’s all speculation at the moment but from what I have read on previous price rises the AD’s generally only find out a few days before hand, which would make the 24th a possibility.
    Time will tell!

Nope, October 1

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GregR View Post
    Nope, October 1
    +1. What I got told this very morning

Journeyman
    oh well its another £312.50 to save for me..I did think there might be an increase as I wouldnt be able to save that quick, also looking back on this thread alot of the members saying that Blighty is still more "keenly priced" that the rest of Europe..Looking forward to approaching my local AD in March 2019 to go on "the list" {if it does exist} and wait and wait and wait....I have been told "The best comes to those who wait"...
    Thanks
    Ernie
    Last edited by ernie; 23rd September 2018 at 09:05.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Deacons in swindon have an Airking in the window if anyone is after one.

Craftsman

Hard to disagree but I like the fact that our wonderful government are trying to convince folk that inflation is less than 3% , maybe luxury products don’t fit on their indicators....

Quote Originally Posted by Buster73 View Post
    Hard to disagree but I like the fact that our wonderful government are trying to convince folk that inflation is less than 3% , maybe luxury products don’t fit on their indicators....

Ya think?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Surely, no-one is forced to buy anything.....it's a perfectly normal exercise of free choice. If you don't like, you don't buy. And most buyers and sellers on SC are grown-ups who can decide for themselves.
    I've never bought anything off him, but Kashs' prices always strike me as well judged.
    This isn’t inflation, it is currency rates.

Craftsman
    When was the last increase?

Nov 2016 rings a bell, perhaps further back.

If that's correct then 5% increase in 2 years = circa 2.5% increase per year = less than 3% per year = in line with the official inflation rate.

This latest increase is surprisingly modest.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I guess the greys have already increased their stock by 5% in advance of Oct 1st :)

Master
    As the £ is more likely than not to fall soon I expect most European manufacturers to increase prices in the near future.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    I guess the greys have already increased their stock by 5% in advance of Oct 1st :)
    They’ve done that every month so far this year 😄
    Another five percent to come I think

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    Or put them all in the safe till 1st

Journeyman
    Does the price increase include servicing?

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by 7184c View Post
    i think it did last time

Quote Originally Posted by 7184c View Post
    Prices never include servicing.

The only exception would be if you negotiated it with the watch at time of purchase.

However these days on steel sports models it’s normal to get nothing but the watch and be thankful for it lol

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
    Prices never include servicing.

The only exception would be if you negotiated it with the watch at time of purchase.

However these days on steel sports models it’s normal to get nothing but the watch and be thankful for it lol
    Think he means is the cost of a service also going up by 5% too

Think he means is the cost of a service also going up by 5% too
    Ahhhhhhh ok!