closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 58

Thread: Glashutte Appreciation Thread.

  1. #1
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    London
    Posts
    845

    Glashutte Appreciation Thread.

    I thought I'd start one as a search didn't throw much up except a few mostly positive comments. My search for an alternative to my Rolex DJ ended with one of these as a complete contrast. They seem more under the radar than many others yet are well made in house with some intriguing designs.
    I chose this one with a 36 calibre and so far is as accurate as my Rolex. (only had it since Monday)
    So show us your Glashuttes or what you fancy and why or even why not. I blame this forum for my sins......


  2. #2
    Master RustyBin5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Scotland central
    Posts
    7,607
    Just the one stunning and accurate. Only worn on occasion though

  3. #3
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sussex, UK
    Posts
    4,441
    I'm another fan of the brand and this is a Senator Excellence which also has the new 'type 36' movement.

    The company is owned by Swatch, and seems most popular in Asia. Here, in the UK, Swatch make almost no effort. Which is a shame as GO make some very classy watches. Inevitably, they live in the shadow of the mighty ALS, based in the same little town and with the same Saxony watchmaking traditions. But GO can stand on its own feet.....
    Timekeeping of my watch is, if anything, slightly better than my Rolex. These are serious watches.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by paskinner; 20th September 2018 at 10:07.

  4. #4
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    353
    Going to watch this thread with interest as I have just started looking at this brand... The two watches I like are:
    PanoReserve


    PanoMaticLunar

  5. #5
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Cockfosters & Cupertino
    Posts
    2,397

    Sport Evolution!

    The Sport Evolution GMT is one watch I still kick myself for selling. I loved this watch (I also loved the non-GMT version), the large date is beautifully implemented, GMT function is super accessible, and — of course — the best and most adjustable bracelet ever!



    (Image taken from https://watch-consultant.com/glashut...on-gmt-review/).

    I wonder if Glashutte would ever go down the sporty route again?

    simon

  6. #6
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    By the TOLL Road
    Posts
    3,289
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Just the one stunning and accurate. Only worn on occasion though

    Looking great Rusty. Dam I knew I should not have opened this thread, I want another now after seeing my old watch on Rusty's wrist.

  7. #7
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    1,236
    I like them.

    I had the earlier version of this one but regrettably let it go, fortunately I now have the later version:




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Master daveyw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,538
    Great watches for the money.
    My long gone but not forgotten 70’s

  9. #9
    Master RustyBin5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Scotland central
    Posts
    7,607
    Quote Originally Posted by matt109 View Post
    Going to watch this thread with interest as I have just started looking at this brand... The two watches I like are:
    PanoReserve


    PanoMaticLunar
    Both lovely - the moonphase arguably much prettier (including the much more visible movement as its auto) but the reserve arguably more practical complication.

  10. #10
    Master RustyBin5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Scotland central
    Posts
    7,607
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    Looking great Rusty. Dam I knew I should not have opened this thread, I want another now after seeing my old watch on Rusty's wrist.
    Sorry

  11. #11
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sussex, UK
    Posts
    4,441
    Quote Originally Posted by daveyw View Post
    Great watches for the money.
    My long gone but not forgotten 70’s
    Lovely......

  12. #12
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Plymouth Devon
    Posts
    376

    Glashutte Appreciation Thread.

    I love the Panoreserve. Still can’t decide which dial - currently tending towards the grey....
    Last edited by CriticalMass; 20th September 2018 at 15:54.

  13. #13
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Woodbridge England
    Posts
    537
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalMass View Post
    I love the Panoreserve. Still can’t decide which dial - currently tending towards the grey....
    Grey is beautiful -- but I couldn't resist the blue.




    Also have the Senator Excellence for (mostly) formal wear . . .




    And the Sport Evo Pano for casual . . .





    None of these pieces is going anywhere (until I'm in my box, at least)!

    .

  14. #14
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    London
    Posts
    845
    Three of them. A wise man of taste.

  15. #15
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Plymouth Devon
    Posts
    376
    Nice....

  16. #16
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Woodbridge England
    Posts
    537
    Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    Three of them. A wise man of taste.
    In fact I'm a bit of a fan of the little town of Glashütte (pop. 7,000). I have five watches made there (but only the three you see above are GOs).

    I'm planning a visit there in three weeks time.

  17. #17
    I also went with the blue Panoreserve. My best and favourite in my collection.







    Also planning a visit to Glashütte in early December.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  18. #18
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    In the West
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by Yokel View Post
    In fact I'm a bit of a fan of the little town of Glashütte (pop. 7,000). I have five watches made there (but only the three you see above are GOs).

    I'm planning a visit there in three weeks time.
    We have been twice but only inside the Nomos factory and up to their observatory; seems amazing to me that so many wonderful watches are made by such different companies in such a small area. Hope you have a great visit.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by daveyw View Post
    Great watches for the money.
    My long gone but not forgotten 70’s
    Really fancy one of these


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  20. #20
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    28,858
    I've had quite a few GOs, actually, but the one that's stuck is the Senator Perpetual Calendar . This one is from 2011, and is the version preceding the current modal. Nicer dial and better size, IMO, although that's obviously a subjective view. Anyway, it's a lovely thing...










  21. #21
    This was the one that originally turned me on to G.O. - there was an example which bounced around Sales Corner about a decade ago at a very fair price:



    And this is the one which has currently caught my eye - just because it's so defiantly not a Sub clone:


  22. #22
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Woodbridge England
    Posts
    537
    Quote Originally Posted by gladders View Post
    The Sport Evolution GMT is one watch I still kick myself for selling. I loved this watch (I also loved the non-GMT version), the large date is beautifully implemented, GMT function is super accessible, and — of course — the best and most adjustable bracelet ever!



    (Image taken from https://watch-consultant.com/glashut...on-gmt-review/).

    I wonder if Glashutte would ever go down the sporty route again?

    simon

    I have asked this question -- though, regrettably, not directly of the top management. The answer I got was that it was not part of their strategy any longer. Perhaps Swatch has decided that sports watches at the upper end should be left to Blancpain -- or maybe it really was an internal decision; looking around the offerings from Glashütte (Lange, Grossmann, GO, Nomos, Tutima, Wempe, Mühle, Union, etc.) there is hardly a sports model on offer anywhere.

  23. #23
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    851
    Big fan of them here too. Unfortunately despite being the buyer of both Gladders' GMT & Lomax99's SE i went through a phase of flipping that saw them sold off to make way for something new.

    Regretted both sales immensely so whilst on holiday in NY a few years ago i bought this:


    which i know will kill me on resale should i ever be daft enough to do that again, but was very happy to have got one.

    Luckily someone answered my WTB & i was able to source this earlier in the year too


    Superb quality & a little different to the masses (imho).

  24. #24
    My photography might not be up to scratch for this thread, but I love my Panomatic Lunar XL (42mm, Ruthenium dial)





    Cheers,

    Plug

  25. #25

    Here is my story>>>>

    I got my first modern Glashutte Original after a visit to their booth at Baselworld in 2006.

    My first Glashütte Original became a first-generation Sport Evolution with one line of red text and the white background of the panorama date window.



    Then it did not take long before I realized that the Caliber 90 attracted me enormously. And when I get that feeling so I know that it is only matter of time
    before it becomes a fact. What attracted me most was then a PanoMatciLunar which then took place in my collection.

    In order to achieve a sportier look so I equipped it with a steel bracelet.



    The Caliber 90



    The next question I asked myself was: I have no Glashütte Original chronograph so what was better suited than that when setting its sights on a timeless one.

    Also this one with a steel bracelet.



    A few years later, so put Glashütte Original new ideas into my head again at Baselworld when they present a PanoInverse made of steel that I can not resist.
    Yes, you see where we are going, I guess.

    Suddenly I have become a stealth watch with duplex balance at the "dial" side.



    Furthermore this company continues to elude me and move on in my bones when they take a watch and refines it further and serve the new PanoMaticLunar slammed on
    me yet again on the treacherous place popularly known as Baselworld. This is not a fair game in progress, as I can of course not recover from the shock before the
    next one comes. Of course, so ended such with me, also with the steel bracelet.



    Then history repeats itself again when Glashütte Original is the idea of updating The Senator Observer with exactly what it lacked, Luminova. This dial is probably
    among the most classy that I own, I can look at it for hours.



    This must be seen in the dark.



    The question I ask myself now is: How will this end?

  26. #26
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Malvern
    Posts
    6,482
    Quote Originally Posted by daveyw View Post
    Great watches for the money.
    My long gone but not forgotten 70’s
    That particular watch is sitting on my wrist as I type. It has the new deep blue dial colour after Swatch damaged one of the indices during a service.

  27. #27
    Master daveyw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,538
    This dial is probably
    among the most classy that I own, I can look at it for hours.



    I wondered when your watches and pics would show up. This is my favourite of both

  28. #28
    Master RustyBin5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Scotland central
    Posts
    7,607
    Quote Originally Posted by Jocke View Post
    I got my first modern Glashutte Original after a visit to their booth at Baselworld in 2006.

    My first Glashütte Original became a first-generation Sport Evolution with one line of red text and the white background of the panorama date window.



    Then it did not take long before I realized that the Caliber 90 attracted me enormously. And when I get that feeling so I know that it is only matter of time
    before it becomes a fact. What attracted me most was then a PanoMatciLunar which then took place in my collection.

    In order to achieve a sportier look so I equipped it with a steel bracelet.



    The Caliber 90



    The next question I asked myself was: I have no Glashütte Original chronograph so what was better suited than that when setting its sights on a timeless one.

    Also this one with a steel bracelet.



    A few years later, so put Glashütte Original new ideas into my head again at Baselworld when they present a PanoInverse made of steel that I can not resist.
    Yes, you see where we are going, I guess.

    Suddenly I have become a stealth watch with duplex balance at the "dial" side.



    Furthermore this company continues to elude me and move on in my bones when they take a watch and refines it further and serve the new PanoMaticLunar slammed on
    me yet again on the treacherous place popularly known as Baselworld. This is not a fair game in progress, as I can of course not recover from the shock before the
    next one comes. Of course, so ended such with me, also with the steel bracelet.



    Then history repeats itself again when Glashütte Original is the idea of updating The Senator Observer with exactly what it lacked, Luminova. This dial is probably
    among the most classy that I own, I can look at it for hours.



    This must be seen in the dark.



    The question I ask myself now is: How will this end?
    I love the first one you bought so much. Never see them for sale really

  29. #29
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    64
    Glashütte watches are fantastic, one thing i’d like to know is how accurate have owners found them. Watch reviews don’t really mention this with any brand.

  30. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Plug View Post
    My photography might not be up to scratch for this thread, but I love my Panomatic Lunar XL (42mm, Ruthenium dial)





    Cheers,

    Plug
    I need to pull my one out for a ride. I love my GO, always brings a smile when I wear it, but I unfortunately don't wear it enough. And yet I couldn't bear parting with it given its discontinued and the XL version lended the panomatic a nice sporty look with the grey dial....Unless Tony ever sells his gorgeous PC

  31. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by gladders View Post
    The Sport Evolution GMT is one watch I still kick myself for selling. I loved this watch (I also loved the non-GMT version), the large date is beautifully implemented, GMT function is super accessible, and — of course — the best and most adjustable bracelet ever!



    (Image taken from https://watch-consultant.com/glashut...on-gmt-review/).

    I wonder if Glashutte would ever go down the sporty route again?

    simon
    I was wondering that my self , i love the sport divers , i find the current range too dressy for my taste at the moment, but this hobby changes like the weather .

  32. #32
    I have always been tempted, have my sights set on a BLNR but for an extra £500-£700 you can get a nice panomatic lunar on a bracelet. They do look really nice

  33. #33
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    1,092
    Quote Originally Posted by daveyw View Post
    Great watches for the money.
    My long gone but not forgotten 70’s
    This looks like it's the same (or similar) bracelet to what they offer for the Panoreserve. Can you tell me what it's like in terms of comfort / microadjustment? Whenever I take a look in the usual GO dealers in the UK I tend to be able to find a Panoreserve to try but never on a bracelet.

  34. #34
    Master daveyw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,538
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammond View Post
    This looks like it's the same (or similar) bracelet to what they offer for the Panoreserve. Can you tell me what it's like in terms of comfort / microadjustment? Whenever I take a look in the usual GO dealers in the UK I tend to be able to find a Panoreserve to try but never on a bracelet.
    I believe it's the same too. In which case I can tell you that this bracelet is one of the best engineered bracelets I've come across. Firstly the links are incredibly tight and well secured and I recall the bracelet being very solid and having a good feeling of heft/security about it. Removing a link for size adjustment requires a screwdriver but is relatively easy to do. From memory the glidelock adjustment on the clasp will give you a spread of about one to one and half cm's; more than enough for a comfort adjustment and roughly the size of a removable link. What was also very nice was the adjustment button is hidden in the clasp, so you don't have to take the watch off to adjust it, and is engraved with Glashutte logo too. To my mind everything is cleverly done, well engineered and with good quality components. Polished centre links weren't a problem to me either. I think it would look great on a Panoreserve

  35. #35
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    1,092
    Quote Originally Posted by daveyw View Post
    I believe it's the same too. In which case I can tell you that this bracelet is one of the best engineered bracelets I've come across. :
    I should have known really shouldn't I! Thanks for the thorough review, it's only increased my desire for a Panoreserve. Blue has always been the front running colour for me but black keeps sneaking in to the back of my mind. If anyone has had success negotiating with ADs on these please PM!

  36. #36
    Master RustyBin5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Scotland central
    Posts
    7,607
    I’d love a bracelet for mine

  37. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    I’d love a bracelet for mine
    Me too - i think they cost in the region of £1.5k?

  38. #38
    Master RustyBin5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Scotland central
    Posts
    7,607
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Me too - i think they cost in the region of £1.5k?
    Ye that ain’t happening

  39. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Ye that ain’t happening
    Aye. I wonder if we put in a bulk order we get a discount?

  40. #40
    Master RustyBin5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Scotland central
    Posts
    7,607
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Aye. I wonder if we put in a bulk order we get a discount?
    Ye 80% off would be nice

  41. #41
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    West Wales
    Posts
    2,647
    Nah....don't like all those modern baubles

    P9050525 copy-RS by Dave in Wales, on Flickr

  42. #42
    I enjoyed owning this simple, but gorgeous GO Navigator.




  43. #43
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    1,277
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I've had quite a few GOs, actually, but the one that's stuck is the Senator Perpetual Calendar . This one is from 2011, and is the version preceding the current modal. Nicer dial and better size, IMO, although that's obviously a subjective view. Anyway, it's a lovely thing...








    This is my grail. Sigh! Some day! I do have the GO senator moonphase. Absolutely stunning watch, purchased in Dec 2015 from Iconic Watches.
    Bit confused, the GO shows 2 perpetual calendars, this one - called the Senator Perpetual Calendar (100-02-22-12-14) and the Senator Excellence Perpetual Calendar (Ref No 1-36-02-01-02-70). Have they stopped making your model.
    Please say 'no' I'll be heart broken

  44. #44
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    28,858
    Quote Originally Posted by 72bpm View Post
    This is my grail. Sigh! Some day! I do have the GO senator moonphase. Absolutely stunning watch, purchased in Dec 2015 from Iconic Watches.
    Bit confused, the GO shows 2 perpetual calendars, this one - called the Senator Perpetual Calendar (100-02-22-12-14) and the Senator Excellence Perpetual Calendar (Ref No 1-36-02-01-02-70). Have they stopped making your model.
    Please say 'no' I'll be heart broken
    The first one you mentioned - with the superb cal. 100 movement - is the newer version of mine. I much prefer it as it was, though.

  45. #45
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    1,277
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    The first one you mentioned - with the superb cal. 100 movement - is the newer version of mine. I much prefer it as it was, though.
    Likewise. Don't quite fancy the new leap year display, I prefer the red dot - more subtle. But I gather the Cal 36 has a 100 Hr reserve. Cal 100 is around 72 hours isn't it? The bad news is now we have a GO dealer in Glasgow
    Some day............

  46. #46
    Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,075
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    I also went with the blue Panoreserve. My best and favourite in my collection.


    These look superb!

    What’s the going rate second hand for blue/grey dial?

  47. #47
    Always fancied a sport evolution GMT,

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using TZ-UK mobile app

  48. #48
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Aylesbury
    Posts
    1,082
    Got this early in the week!

    Amazing watch.

    PanoInverse.


  49. #49
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Woodbridge England
    Posts
    537

    For those interested in Glashütte (i'm certainly a fan) here is a cross reference to my report on a visit to the village last October:

    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ght=pilgrimage


    That time I could not get access to any manufacturer, despite a lot of emailing with GO. Next month I am visiting the area again, and this time I have an invitation to visit Moritz Grossmann. Will report back again, but doubt they will allow photography.


    My current Glashütte collection comprises:
    -- MG Benu Power Reserve (cal. 100.2)
    -- MG Atum Pure M white (cal. 201.1)
    -- GO Panoreserve (cal. 65-01)
    -- GO Senator Excellence (cal. 36-01)
    -- GO Sport Evolution Panoramadatum (cal. 39-42)
    -- Nomos Zürich Braungold (cal. Epsilon)



    .

  50. #50
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    237
    So simple but for me one of the best around when you factor in the price.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information