closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Samsung Art TV

Master
    Blog Entries

Samsung Art TV

Evening. Anyone have any experience of the Samsung Art TV's? Thinking of getting a couple for the house.

https://ao.com/product/ue55ls03nauxx...61605-108.aspx

Thanks.

Craftsman
    They are very overpriced for what is an average quality panel, definitely a case of style over substance.

If picture quality is important, there are many other TV's offering far better value for less money.

I’ve looked at these but have a few questions.
    1. Wouldn’t the tv burn out quicker if left on to show a picture all day?
    2. Isn’t it a waste of electricity?

Or am I missing something?

I'd guess it was a fancy screen saver and the picture would change periodically.

Master
    It's a nice idea but you are paying over the odds for a gimmick.

Craftsman
    I saw these at IFA in Berlin a few weeks ago - there'd added the ability to make the TV blend into the background. Using an app on your phone, you took a picture of the TV on the wall and the TV would work out what to display on the screen, so that it blended in with the background

There was also chat about a motion sensor - the TV only displayed something when someone was in the room

It's the same price as in the OP's link if bought direct from Samsung, but they're offering a 100-day trial. You can return it if you don't like it.

LINK Offer is only valid until 2 October.
    Last edited by DMC102; 20th September 2018 at 15:36.

I don’t think these would really work in practice. If I put a TV at ‘picture height’ I’d get a stiff neck watching it. If I have a TV flat on a wall I tend to have it on a bracket that tilts towards the sofa which would ruin the effect. If you’ve got a perfectly sized room it would look pretty cool - but you’d also need to get the walls replastered to hide any cabling. The more I think about it actually, it’s a nice idea but totally impractical. Modern TVs switched off aren’t that ugly anyway, are they!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Here's my Samsung frame in the kitchen, fits absolutely flat to the wall which is the main difference, our main TV is in the lounge but this one looks great even when switched off imo. The bottom 2 pics are in 'art' mode

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Evening. Anyone have any experience of the Samsung Art TV's? Thinking of getting a couple for the house.

https://ao.com/product/ue55ls03nauxx...61605-108.aspx

Thanks.
    Yes, I have installed a number of these sets, and we are now installing the second generation models. The clients that have them like them very much. I work with one interior designer that only recommends this one model of TV. The TV is based on the MU7000 series of Samsung sets, not the top of the line, but very good still.

Things to note. The fancy "No Gap" wall mount, that is an accessory for some Samsung sets comes in the box with this TV. The design of this mount means that there is no space behind the set for the "OneConnect Box" where your source devices plug in, or any other accessories. Because of this, all of our installations also include a recessed wall box, flushed into the wall, to house the OneConnect Box and a small cable box. This obviously adds to the cost of the install. That said, this TV is one of the lowest cost solutions for a "concealed" TV look. Art frame lifts, coverings, and other types of motorization are all much more costly than this TV.

The TV comes with a black bezel. The wood colored, white, and metal frames are sold separately.

The TV comes with art samples. A broader variety of art is available for purchase. You can upload your own photographs, the process is a PITA. In fact, the whole software app is a bit clunky and glitchy.

Also a bit glitchy is the motion and light sensor system. The TV does not need to be lit all of the time. There is a motion sensor that turns the artwork display on when there is motion in the room, so that you need not waste the power on an empty room. It doesn't always work. This can be particularly annoying in a bedroom... The light sensor is not perfect either, and the photos are not always presented in what I would consider perfect brightness. Both problems have improved over time, as has the app, but still aren't 100%.
    Last edited by jcm3; 22nd September 2018 at 21:10.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks all for the comments, (and photos). I agree they are over priced for what they are but I like the idea of having no TV in the bedroom. At the minute, we've got a god awful big black rectangle hanging of the wall!
    I don't even watch it but the kids like to all lie on the double bed and watch cartoons together so it must stay.
    This way, at least, I don't have to look at it all the time!
    That Samsung offer sounds good, thanks.
    Last edited by Dave O'Sullivan; 25th September 2018 at 19:52.

Quote Originally Posted by justin44 View Post
    I’ve looked at these but have a few questions.
    1. Wouldn’t the tv burn out quicker if left on to show a picture all day?
    2. Isn’t it a waste of electricity?

Or am I missing something?
    It has a motion sensor and light sensor - if nothing is playing into the source and you turn the lights off and it detects no movement it turns off automatically and turns on when you turn the lights on and move into the room