closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: PC advice sought

Master

PC advice sought

Hi.... Computer numpty here.... I'm getting real problems logging into my PC (quite a high spec unit with i7 processor, 16GB memory 1TB HD and Windows 10). My problem is that when I turn it on I get a Microsoft screen asking for my password. I enter the password (yes... correctly...) which is not recognised. I then have to jump through hoops getting a code texted to me to get in to the computer. Now for many months I have had a bypass to this password input routine and it just boots up to the desktop but that seems to have disappeared somehow. I have changed the password four times in the last 10 days but it seems that Windows doesn't store it and consequently refuses me access next time I log on.

Anyone else had this problem?

Regards
    Rob

It can be either a 'local' account on your machine, or a microsoft cloud account... You probably have both types set up, hence the confusion, but have been changing only the local account password each time.

When you keep getting the password reset text message I assume this is to reset the cloud account, as microsoft shouldn't have any knowledge of the local account (which is stored only on your PC).

You need to take control of both accounts and standardise on using only one of them every time. When it asks you for the password does it state somewhere which account it wants you to log in to?

Is there more than one user account on your PC? Maybe you're trying to log into the wrong account?

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Is there more than one user account on your PC? Maybe you're trying to log into the wrong account?

This ^^^^ it's possible you have changed something like the admin password, but are logging in as a user. Reset both admin and user to the same password.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Thanks, guys.

I freely concede the level of my Windows numptiness (although I was a wizzo with MSDOS 6.22 back in the day). I can see that I should now need to reset MS passwords; TBH I had no idea there was more than one password (can't seem to get my head around this 'Cloud' thing) and equally no idea I had them...

Consequently any advice on how to do this gratefully accepted.

Thanks
    Rob

Master
    And an update.....

On boot up the damn thing is now flagging up the message

MISSING OPERATING SYSTEM

but when I press the reset button it loads up nicely wthout asking for a password....

Now there are no CD's in the drives or pen drives in the USB ports... can anybody help please?

Rob

You may have deleted your Admin account.
    With Win 10 you create an account normally with your Hotmail or Outlook.com email address but not necessarily, and that allows you into Microsoft OneDrive. If you've deleted that then Windows thinks you've not got it. Reset is not a full cold reboot and it may be going to a separate account as mentioned above.

To be honest, unless you're willing to put up with this until you swap machines, then reinstall Windows, paying more attention (if I'm allowed to be cheeky without intending to be) to the details! The advantage is that you can set it up the way you want it from the start.

Master
    Thanks, Glamdring. This was a free upgrade from MS - I was perfectly happy with Windows 7 but it came through as a free download from Microft, so in short I donT have a DVD installation disk.

However I see an ebay seller advertising Windows10 Pro 32/64 Bit installation DVD - Bootable Windows 10 Disk. Would it be worth getting this and installing it over my current installation?

Pleased to hear.
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Barryboy View Post
    Thanks, Glamdring. This was a free upgrade from MS - I was perfectly happy with Windows 7 but it came through as a free download from Microft, so in short I donT have a DVD installation disk.

However I see an ebay seller advertising Windows10 Pro 32/64 Bit installation DVD - Bootable Windows 10 Disk. Would it be worth getting this and installing it over my current installation?

Pleased to hear.
    Rob
    No need to buy anything. Just download the media creation tool straight from Microsoft and do a clean install with that. all instructions are on their site

Quote Originally Posted by Gestarp View Post
    No need to buy anything. Just download the media creation tool straight from Microsoft and do a clean install with that. all instructions are on their site
    Exactly.

Master
    Thanks to both of you. I'll give it a try. Fingers crossed, eh?

Rob