closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Vintage Sekonda?

Craftsman

Vintage Sekonda?

Evening everyone. I'm hoping the collective expertise of the TZ community can shed a bit of light on any potential history this piece my dad recently gave to me may have.

He told me that he bought this early in his working life although he can't remember exactly when. I'm in my early 30s and I don't ever remember him wearing it so it may have been a while ago.

It's a hand wound model with a width of about 34mm and lug width of 18mm and that's about as much as I know.

Anyway here are some very poor pictures:

I can't say I know anything about Sekonda as a brand other than you can buy it in High Street jewellers so any info would be new to me.

Thanks in advance.

looks mint, looking at the case back design with the square over the crown stem it looks a lot like generic ultra slim cases of the 1960's. So probably dated late 60's. What confuses me is the dial looks very 80's. Probably because similar designs were used 20 years later. Nice watch.

I would say late 70s to mid 80s.
    Looks like he didn't wear it much.

Craftsman
    There is actually a small crack in the glass at in the downward dome at the 1 but it didn't come out in the pictures. Other than that it seems in very good nick for sure.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by rdwiow View Post
    I would say late 70s to mid 80s.
    Looks like he didn't wear it much.
    Agreed. Do a search for Sekonda Deluxe and 2209 movement on fleabay and elsewhere.Lots of them about

Hi Fraz. Not sure if you're aware of this but during the 60s, 70s and 80s numerous Soviet watch brands such as Raketa, Poljot and Slava were rebranded as Sekondas for export to western countries. What you have there is a rebranded 80s Raketa with a 2609HA mechanical movement. Here's a picture from a 1985 Raketa catalogue:

Full catalogue here: https://get.google.com/albumarchive/...auYfZP7k_rfBf9

Craftsman

Vintage Sekonda?

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    Hi Fraz. Not sure if you're aware of this but during the 60s, 70s and 80s numerous Soviet watch brands such as Raketa, Poljot and Slava were rebranded as Sekondas for export to western countries. What you have there is a rebranded 80s Raketa with a 2609HA mechanical movement. Here's a picture from a 1985 Raketa catalogue:

Full catalogue here: https://get.google.com/albumarchive/...auYfZP7k_rfBf9
    That's brilliant, I was absolutely not aware of that so thanks very much.

Whilst not the most glamorous, I may have inadvertently stumbled across a birth year watch as well.

Craftsman
    A very handsome watch. Your dad has good taste

Wearing my very similar vintage timex from the 1970's as I type. Almost the same, save for the hands. Wonder if there was any collaboration......

Grand Master
    I worked on a smilar watch recently. The movements are decent quality, nothing cheap and nasty about them. Getting parts isn’t easy, but ebay helps!

Paul

Just to add to Lampoc’s informative post, the Sekonda brand you are familiar with now is essentially a different company to the Soviet one. They started having cheap quartz watches manufactured in Hong Kong in the late 70s I think (I had one) and essentially are I think now a UK company. I can’t remember the exact story now.

Nice watch though.