closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Does anyone here own a Cartier Roadster?

Does anyone here own a Cartier Roadster?

I have been looking at various Roadster models and wondered if anyone here has one.

I was particularly looking at Model # W62001V3 the one with Arabic numerals and the Tuxedo dial.

Any real world pictures and impressions appreciated.

Mark

Master
    Not sure if this will help, but I owned a roadster chronograph many years ago. It was very versatile coming with bracelet and two straps with one deployant clasp. Never trusted the quick strap change system after nearly loosing it when skiing. But. A very attractive watch with great wrist presence and I would not rule out owning another.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Master
    Avoid the Cartier automatic movements and be aware that parts aren’t available except through Cartier. Scratched the glass? Back it goes, for a full service at the same time. Residuals dismal if that’s relevant.
    On a more subjective level I think they are increasingly seen as very dated, but to each his own!
    H

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    Avoid the Cartier automatic movements and be aware that parts aren’t available except through Cartier. Scratched the glass? Back it goes, for a full service at the same time. Residuals dismal if that’s relevant.
    On a more subjective level I think they are increasingly seen as very dated, but to each his own!
    H
    Sorry to hijack thread slightly - Haywood, what's the problem with Cartier autos? (I've been considering a tank MC)

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    H
    Cheers Haywood, would also be interested in your view on the Autos. The dismal residuals are part of what is attracting me as they drop heavily in the used market.
    The dated look is part of what is attracting me, given that after this weekend (all being well) the only watch I own will be a G Shock King.

Does your view on the Cartier movements hold true for the new release Santos too ?

Craftsman
    Arnt most Automatic Cartier movements ETA based? So therefore movement parts would be available and I think I have seen generic glasses for various models on Ebay .

Master
    My experience does not extend to an automatic Cartier from the last couple of years, as I won't go near them now. Regarding the automatic movements largely found in Santos, Roadster, Tank Francaise etc over the last twenty years....rotten time-keeping even after Cartier service and rotors that can sound like a child dragging a rake around the patio. The watches had a certain style, but these were poor quality movements.

Buying "Mr. Porter" --- and perhaps Watchfinder? --- to try to fluff the watch brand up on Facebook and in the secondary market won't be enough.

Cartier should simplify their watch range, increase the quality and let it rebuild a reputation such as some of their jewellery properly deserves.

I don't know if the Roadster depreciates like the Pasha but I witnessed a man close to tears when he tried to trade his Pasha at Goldsmiths, from where he'd bought it a year earlier, when they offered him a third of what he'd paid.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quite like cartier and what they've done over the last couple of years.However didn't they buy back loads of dealer stock as it wouldn't sell and to stop the market being flooded with discounted watches?

Sent from my E6653 using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman

Trade in

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I don't know if the Roadster depreciates like the Pasha but I witnessed a man close to tears when he tried to trade his Pasha at Goldsmiths, from where he'd bought it a year earlier, when they offered him a third of what he'd paid.

Eddie
    “ Third of what he’d paid”. They must have been in a generous mood that day.

The secondary market is full of Roadsters and can easily be picked up for around £2k but would agree with the comments that it has not aged well and does look very dated. The Drive collection has probably been one of there best attempts in many years to get a foothold in the men’s market but they are overpriced and as Haywood stated, their movements do not seem to be of a standard you would expect.

A lot of gloss with Cartier but probably not a lot of substance.

Master
    My wife has a Tank Solo and its a lovely watch.

Dersses up or down and it has been faultless, mind you it is the quartz version.