closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko Kinetic repair (capacitor replacment) for forum members...

Master

Seiko Kinetic repair (capacitor replacment) for forum members...

I've got about three of my Kinetics double ticking at the moment so I'll be putting in an order for some new capacitors next week.

Last time I did that I offered to pick a few up for forum members and do them at cost price. Same again if anyone wants it.

The cells cost about a tenner (about £8 cost but factor in VAT and postage for the capacitors), I'll fit them for nothing and post them back.

If anyone is interested, just to make it clear it'll cost you about £20 total (tenner for the cell and the same for recorded postage both ways).
    I'll clean the watch (make sure there is nothing manky around the case-back), replace the cell and replace the seal. No pressure testing sadly.

The only ones I won't touch are the "one piece case" models, I hate those stem/crown set-ups. I think it's just the first gen Arctura that uses that.

I make nothing on these, this is a favour for regular forum members simply coz' I'm doing a few of my own. If you want to chuck a couple of quid in the fundraiser then feel free to do so.

Please let me know by weekend, I'll be sticking an order in either Saturday or Sunday I reckon.

Last time I checked Seiko UK charged about £95 for a capacitor upgrade. There are a few independents on ebay charging anything from £40 and up.

Cheers all.

Blog Entries
    Great gesture (again)

(Kev did a great job on my Kinetic last time for a fundraiser donation)

z

Master
    Blog Entries
    Very nice gesture for the community
    (Not a Seiko owner btw)

That’s a very nice gesture and timely for me
    I am currently trying work out if my SUN19 needs a new capacitor.
    I will keep track of the reserve over the few days and if needed I may take you up on your offer.
    I will be in contact before Friday if needed and would be more than happy to add a few quid in to the fund raiser.

Craftsman
    Incidentally, what is the average lifespan of these capacitors? Thanks

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ALindsay View Post
    Incidentally, what is the average lifespan of these capacitors? Thanks
    It all depends which generation the watch is from and how often it's worn.
    The newest models should be good for 15 years with regular wear, and a 6 month power reserve (although it's recommended not to let them fully run down).
    The 90s watches get between 6 and 8 years I find. Those only have a 4 week power reserve and once they have run down and been left "dead" it's next to impossible to get a full reserve in them.

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    It all depends which generation the watch is from and how often it's worn.
    The newest models should be good for 15 years with regular wear, and a 6 month power reserve (although it's recommended not to let them fully run down).
    The 90s watches get between 6 and 8 years I find. Those only have a 4 week power reserve and once they have run down and been left "dead" it's next to impossible to get a full reserve in them.
    Sounds right. Citizen use similar batteries (note that a small rechargeable button-cell battery is called a "capacitor" in Japan... source of much mis-information on the English-language watch websites) which are all, I believe, made by Matsushita (Panasonic). Later ones have more capacity than the original ones, whether fitted to Eco-Drive or Kinetic.

Citizen say:

Letting them run-down can shorten this considerably.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    I've got about three of my Kinetics double ticking at the moment so I'll be putting in an order for some new capacitors next week.

Last time I did that I offered to pick a few up for forum members and do them at cost price. Same again if anyone wants it.

The cells cost about a tenner (about £8 cost but factor in VAT and postage for the capacitors), I'll fit them for nothing and post them back.

If anyone is interested, just to make it clear it'll cost you about £20 total (tenner for the cell and the same for recorded postage both ways).
    I'll clean the watch (make sure there is nothing manky around the case-back), replace the cell and replace the seal. No pressure testing sadly.

The only ones I won't touch are the "one piece case" models, I hate those stem/crown set-ups. I think it's just the first gen Arctura that uses that.

I make nothing on these, this is a favour for regular forum members simply coz' I'm doing a few of my own. If you want to chuck a couple of quid in the fundraiser then feel free to do so.

Please let me know by weekend, I'll be sticking an order in either Saturday or Sunday I reckon.

Last time I checked Seiko UK charged about £95 for a capacitor upgrade. There are a few independents on ebay charging anything from £40 and up.

Cheers all.
    Am I too late to take you up on your kind offer as I would love to get my late mum's watch back up & running again.

Many thanks.

Jeremy.

How did I miss this?

If it’s not too late I would like to join the party

Cheers