closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iOS 12

iOS 12

Just noticed this big update is now available!

Master
    Hailed as a “speeder upper” rather than the traditional lead filled updates of the past. Im downloading it now on my wifes 2014 really slow Ipad air to see if the hype is true.
    Steve

Loaded much faster onto my iPad than my iPhone X.
    After a few minutes use, looks fine so far........

Haven't really noticed anything earth shattering on my iPhone X. However, photo albums uploaded to the phone from my (PC) computer are now listed as 'From My Mac.' I've never owned a Mac!

Apple letting their customers do their QA again. It's the new normal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    Haven't really noticed anything earth shattering on my iPhone X. However, photo albums uploaded to the phone from my (PC) computer are now listed as 'From My Mac.' I've never owned a Mac!
    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I’d recommend reading this excellent review of iOS 12 to find out all about the new features.

https://www.macstories.net/stories/i.../#introduction

Those of you with kids may like to read this explainer on the new Screen Time system:

https://www.macstories.net/stories/s...parents-hands/

(reposted from the other thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    I’d recommend reading this excellent review of iOS 12 to find out all about the new features.

https://www.macstories.net/stories/i.../#introduction

Those of you with kids may like to read this explainer on the new Screen Time system:

https://www.macstories.net/stories/s...parents-hands/

(reposted from the other thread)

Great stuff Phil , thanks for sharing.

Master
    Install fails on my iPad :o(

Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    I’ve installed on 2 iPhones and 2 iPads with no problems. Have you tried restarting the iPad?

Master
    I’ve installed on 2 iPhones and 2 iPads with no problems. Have you tried restarting the iPad?
    Just restarted to no effect, not too fussed at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    Had this with a previous update.

Backed the iPad up to the Cloud, bombed it out and did the update then restored. Worked fine and it flew and had better battery life after.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman
    Been on iOS 12 for some time now.
    Upgraded to iOS 12 gold master last Wednesday.

Can’t see any noticeable speed increase on my iPhone X but has defiantly made some difference on my old iPad Air.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Diemen View Post
    Been on iOS 12 for some time now.
    Upgraded to iOS 12 gold master last Wednesday.

Can’t see any noticeable speed increase on my iPhone X but has defiantly made some difference on my old iPad Air.
    Camera start up and focus is faster (well in my mind it is) the rest I couldn’t notice any speed increase.

Also I was having a lagging keyboard mainly on notes which was awful on the iPad Pro and had started to creep in on the X but fingers crossed this appears to be back to full speed now.

The new ‘measure’ app is a cool feature.

Switching audio to my AirPods is a lot faster. I can also listen to podcasts from my Apple Watch to AirPods using Overcast without having to have my phone with me.

Coincidence?

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Apprentice
    Seems like a massive performance increase on my 6S.

Craftsman
    Works fine in our 2 iPads and iPhones but I wonder how long before iOS 12.0.1 comes out. 😂

Quote Originally Posted by Motman View Post
    Works fine in our 2 iPads and iPhones but I wonder how long before iOS 12.0.1 comes out. 

It'll be interesting to see. A lot of beta testers said that the beta versions of IOS 12 were more stable and ran much quicker than IOS 11.#.# on the older devices they run the beta versions on. I've had it on my 7 plus for nearly a week and it is certainly quicker and snappier. My pal took advantage of the Ł25 battery replacement on his 6S, and with 12 on it's as good as new.
    F.T.F.A.

12.1 is already out for developers.

12.1 is already out for developers.
    'tis the way forward.

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name
    Unable to install on one iPad. Will wait and try again in a week or two.

Hard restart and still no joy. Will try backing up locally and then a reinstall.

B

The second 'bug' I've reported to Apple is as follows: if you select a photo within the Photos app and choose to forward it by Mail i.e. e-mail then the signature that you have defined in Settings | Mail is sent as a txt attachment rather in the body of the email as it should be. This may well have been an issue previously but I noticed it having sent a picture yesterday.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bomberman View Post
    Unable to install on one iPad. Will wait and try again in a week or two.

Hard restart and still no joy. Will try backing up locally and then a reinstall.

B
    Have you check the model compatibility? My iPad is older and not one on which the update can be installed. There's a list on the Apple site.

Definitely an noticeable performance increase in my 6s plus. I've got a 6 I'll be upgrading with the hopes is usable again.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by astonandy View Post
    Have you check the model compatibility? My iPad is older and not one on which the update can be installed. There's a list on the Apple site.
    Shouldn't the update check say there aren't any updates available?

When I was walking the kids to school this morning, my Watch 2 prompted me to start an outdoor walk, which I did. When I got home, I forgot to stop it. 5 minutes later it prompted me to stop the walk. That is so much better than before.

Just found out that my Gen 4 IPad is no longer supported. Another IPad (fully working) now out date to go with the other 2 IPads I have sitting in my study.

Well no more Apple devices for me.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Just found out that my Gen 4 IPad is no longer supported. Another IPad (fully working) now out date to go with the other 2 IPads I have sitting in my study.

The iPad 4 was released in November 2012. It’s had 5 major iOS released from 6 to 10. OS updates stopped for it last year so this is the second year when it has not been updated.

interesting complaint. it's 6 years old device. if you look at android world it is more likely that might get maybe +1 OS version and then nothing.

No, it’s no good for Andy. At least his good old abacus doesn’t need an update.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    No, it’s no good for Andy. At least his good old abacus doesn’t need an update.
    Not an issue when the owner has not updated for decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Not an issue when the owner has not updated for decades.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Just wondering, I've never updated my 6s since 10. If I install 12 does it incorporate the previous updates I ignored?

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    Just wondering, I've never updated my 6s since 10. If I install 12 does it incorporate the previous updates I ignored?
    It will do. You will see a performance boost if you upgrade. There are some figures here:

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2018/09/i...ad-mini-2.html

Quote Originally Posted by Normunds View Post
    interesting complaint. it's 6 years old device. if you look at android world it is more likely that might get maybe +1 OS version and then nothing.
    Yep. That’s what makes android a non-option for me. As an aside I have an iPhone 4 that still works perfectly well even though updates stopped for it years ago. Just because you can’t get the latest update doesn’t mean your device stops working?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Normunds View Post

Its a perfectly functional iPad which cost about Ł600 and will soon to become redundant because many of the Apps installed will not work on it.

But just for my information would you buy a new car, washing machine, camera, TV., Laptop, etc and expect the manufacturer to actually make it redundant after 6 years. Imagine Rolex telling you that your watch will stop working after 6 years use and effectivitly become scrap?

I wouldnt mind if Apple made this clear when they sold it in the first place, but they didn't. So they knowingly sold me a pup.

On the topic of Android/Linux/Windows devices - don't forget many are considerably cheaper than Apple products in the first place, many are made in the same factory and many offer a similar spec .

But if you want to continue to make Apple rich, then knock yourself out. I won't.
    Last edited by Andyg; 19th September 2018 at 21:30.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Yep. That’s what makes android a non-option for me. As an aside I have an iPhone 4 that still works perfectly well even though updates stopped for it years ago. Just because you can’t get the latest update doesn’t mean your device stops working?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    True, but it's less secure and many of the Apps will not load/work - which sorts of defeats the point of having a "SMART" phone.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Blog Entries
    Find my iPhone X feels a lot snappier

I have an iPad 2 which is still working perfectly, my wife bought it for my 40th 6 years ago.
    6 years virtually trouble free use on something that's been used daily I think it's pretty bloody good.
    Battery still holds a good charge also.

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    I have an iPad 2 which is still working perfectly, my wife bought it for my 40th 6 years ago.
    6 years virtually trouble free use on something that's been used daily I think it's pretty bloody good.
    Pointless discussion FFF, seriously.

I am not disputing this, I have two IPad 1's as well as two Gen 4, which work fine for doing email, video/music playback, surfing, etc, but I cannot use them to listen to the radio (for example) because Radio apps are no longer supported on that version of IOS. Hence will need to shell out more money if I want these features.

But if folks want the latest and greatest Apple stuff, then good for them, I will stick with my IPhone 7 and Gen 4 iPad until they become obsolete and will then replace them with non-Apple devices. I must say I am very impressed with my son's OnePlus6 phone. Less than half the price of a similar spec IPhone.

Friedrich Nietzsche

I am not disputing this, I have two IPad 1's as well as two Gen 4, which work fine for doing email, video/music playback, surfing, etc, but I cannot use them to listen to the radio (for example) because Radio apps are no longer supported on that version of IOS. Hence will need to shell out more money if I want these features.

But if folks want the latest and greatest Apple stuff, then good for them, I will stick with my IPhone 7 and Gen 4 iPad until they become obsolete and will then replace them with non-Apple devices. I must say I am very impressed with my son's OnePlus6 phone. Less than half the price of a similar spec IPhone.
    Im no apple fanboy but most apple products do what they say, they're easy to use, intuitive and last better than I ever expected. I'm just looking around the house now and other than my fridefreezer I don't think anything has lasted as long as the iPad.
    I guess there's so many things they need to take in to consideration when releasing updates and to what models to release it to. They must take in to account that if a unit is 4 plus years old there's a strong possibility that a fair number of them will either be no longer working or have been dropped or broken.
    Id also wager that the limitiations of old hardware is also a contributory factor, making updates compatible across a wide range of devices with varied levels of tech must be a nightmare.
    I don't really see what's so difficult to understand about that, it says more about the expectations of the consumer than the motives of the company imo

I would add that this built in obsolescence thing is not new....it would have been much talked about way before you purchased your IPhone 7 or iPad.
    I guess you'll be no longer replacing your iPhone X (that you'll buy soon) in 6 years time when they drop support?
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 19th September 2018 at 23:09.

I am not disputing this, I have two IPad 1's as well as two Gen 4, which work fine for doing email, video/music playback, surfing, etc, but I cannot use them to listen to the radio (for example) because Radio apps are no longer supported on that version of IOS.
    Which Radio Apps no longer work on them?

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    Find my iPhone X feels a lot snappier
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Which Radio Apps no longer work on them?

R

IRadio and IPlayer (for example) requires iOS 8+ hence will not run on a Gen 1 IPAD.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Radio app? Most if not all radio stations have a web streaming presence so this is a bit of a non argument. Maybe if you are out in the wilds of nowhere and have no access to the web then fair enough but if you are going to be doing that then may I suggest a wind up radio would be more appropriate.
    I use an old iPad2 as a controller for my hi-fi, it's a bit slow to start up but other than that it does a stand up job.

Im no apple fanboy but most apple products do what they say, they're easy to use, intuitive and last better than I ever expected. I'm just looking around the house now and other than my fridefreezer I don't think anything has lasted as long as the iPad.
    I guess there's so many things they need to take in to consideration when releasing updates and to what models to release it to. They must take in to account that if a unit is 4 plus years old there's a strong possibility that a fair number of them will either be no longer working or have been dropped or broken.
    Id also wager that the limitiations of old hardware is also a contributory factor, making updates compatible across a wide range of devices with varied levels of tech must be a nightmare.
    I don't really see what's so difficult to understand about that, it says more about the expectations of the consumer than the motives of the company imo

I would add that this built in obsolescence thing is not new....it would have been much talked about way before you purchased your IPhone 7 or iPad.
    I guess you'll be no longer replacing your iPhone X (that you'll buy soon) in 6 years time when they drop support?
    Wow, not sure about the quality of products you buy! Our dishwasher (Siemens) is 19 years old, ditto our hob (De Dietrich). The Mircowave (Panasonic) is over 12. Our cooker (De Dietrich) was replaced after 17 years and washing machine (AEG) after 13 - and this was used everyday. My wife's laptop (Sony viao) is over 10 years old but is still able to run Win 10 with Office 2016. In fact most of our appliances are older than our Gen 4 IPad.

To be honest I have some shoes older than my IPad

Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Wow, not sure about the quality of products you buy! Our dishwasher (Siemens) is 19 years old, ditto our hob (De Dietrich). The Mircowave (Panasonic) is over 12. Our cooker (De Dietrich) was replaced after 17 years and washing machine (AEG) after 13 - and this was used everyday. My wife's laptop (Sony viao) is over 10 years old but is still able to run Win 10 with Office 2016. In fact most of our appliances are older than our Gen 4 IPad.

That a daft example. Most of those devices just do one thing and that never changes. If you just took the base iPad it still probably works fine. It is only the fact that the apps change that causes the problem. As said, in tech terms, Apple support their devices far longer than comparable Android ones. You are pretty lucky to be able to run the Vaio with Win 10 though I suspect a lot of the drivers happen to work as opposed to being the Vaio specific ones. Windows has done much the same with XP, Win 7 and virus protectors etc being out of support. Yes you can still use them but you maybe leaving yourself open to internet nasties.

Dishwashers last is about 5-6 years, ditto washing machines but there’s 4 of us and they get a battering
    All elect stuff has a shelf life and I fully understand that when buying them