closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: iOS 12

I love stories about these dishwashers and washing machines that last for 20 years - we recently got a good housekeeping pamphlet with all their recommended products and all the washing machines and dishwashers getting top marks were well over £1000!! - I think I’ll stick with my £300 Hotpoints and Bosch that last well for 8-10 years then buy another when they go pop. How is ‘Costs 4 times the price, lasts twice as long’ value for money?! Anyhow, back to Apple........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    When I was walking the kids to school this morning, my Watch 2 prompted me to start an outdoor walk, which I did. When I got home, I forgot to stop it. 5 minutes later it prompted me to stop the walk. That is so much better than before.
    What did it do before then?

Quote Originally Posted by Motman View Post
    What did it do before then?
    It didn’t detect and if you forgot to start and stop, tough.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Isn’t some of the outdated-ness due to app developers, maybe as a direct result of changes that apple may be making but the base product still continues to work?

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I love stories about these dishwashers and washing machines that last for 20 years.
    Long-lasting kitchen appliances always make big news down my way!

The Coventry freezer that's still going strong after 33 years

...1985 was also the year Coventry mum Sue Downes bought a freezer from Bejam.

Thirty-three years later and the trusty appliance is still going strong.

The article makes compelling reading:

Sue said she uses her Bejam freezer for all sorts of things, particularly for storing frozen meals made during batch cooking.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    IRadio and IPlayer (for example) requires iOS 8+ hence will not run on a Gen 1 IPAD.
    Were there versions that did run on the iPad 1?

Or are these new apps that don’t run on an iPad 1?

I’ve had an example of the former. The app just did not update to more recent incompatible versions, the version on my iPad just kept on working of course.

When I had to reset the iPad and set it up again (same user account) I got a message saying something like “it will download the latest version that would work on my iPad” and it did, and worked again.

If the latter, well, of course that’d be the case. It’s not possible to run a current version of say Adobe Photoshop on Windows 3.1.

Quote Originally Posted by fraggle42 View Post
    Were there versions that did run on the iPad 1?

Or are these new apps that don’t run on an iPad 1?

I’ve had an example of the former. The app just did not update to more recent incompatible versions, the version on my iPad just kept on working of course.

When I had to reset the iPad and set it up again (same user account) I got a message saying something like “it will download the latest version that would work on my iPad” and it did, and worked again.

If the latter, well, of course that’d be the case. It’s not possible to run a current version of say Adobe Photoshop on Windows 3.1.

lots of apps including the BBC iplayer worked on Gen 1 machines, but they seem to track the later versions of IOS when they were introduced by Apple.

What you say about Window 3.1 may be true, except PC's etc can be upgraded and can have new operating systems installed? Hence I doubt you will see a HP, Lenovo, etc from actually preventing you from downloading newer operating system version if you wish.. Instead they identify the possible risks, but never prevent you - unlike Apple. Hence machines originally delivered with Window 98 can (albeit slowly) still run Window 7. That's 20 years!! In fact I am sure my wife's PC was originally delivered with Win2000 or XP and I have upgraded to 10,via 7, Vista, 8.1 Over the years.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    Install fails on my iPad :o(
    Closed all programs and it updated first time. If it was a memory issue I’d have thought the installer program would have handled it.
    Anyway it’s on IOS12 now 👍🏻😁

Master
    I killed all the programs, didn’t work.

Offloaded a few more apps, appears to be updating.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    IRadio and IPlayer (for example) requires iOS 8+ hence will not run on a Gen 1 IPAD.
    What about on your Gen 4's?

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    What about on your Gen 4's?

R
    Looking at the App Store, iPlayer requires iOS 9 and iPlayer Radio requires iOS 9.3. This means both apps will work on all iPads except the iPad 1. iOS support info can be found here.

Talking of appliances that last a while, foumd this on Reddit the other night.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/BuyItForLif...JX&sh=4b40c58c

Quite a few watches on there as well.

A reminder to anyone who installed the beta but doesn’t want to install 12.1 beta, you need to uninstall the beta profile and reboot your device. I had removed the profile on my iPad but not rebooted and I saw a message this morning saying iOS 12.1 beta was going to be installed. Fortunately I stopped it. I have now turned off automatic updates after rebooting the iPad.

Thanks I thought that when 12 came out the betas would stop for some reason